PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Arkansas Pine Bluff Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

sagegrouse
03-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Arkansas Pine Bluff surprised most observers by thrashing Winthrop tonight. Now it gets Duke on Friday in Jacksonville (7:25ET).

Our focus is on Duke:

1. What will K try to accomplish in the first round game, assuming it is not a nail-biter like Mississippi Valley State in 1986?

2. What rotation will be used: equal minutes for everyone or drills for the starters on offense and defense?

3. Which of the “Bigs” will have, well, a big game?

Don’t know anything about the school or the town, except it is the location of the Army Pine Bluff Arsenal, which is used for chemical weapons storage and disposal of hazardous chemicals. It is the only military base I know of where the locals tried to have it closed, so concerned were they about the hazards emanating from the facility. The big push was more than a few years ago, while I was on Congressional staff. Maybe the Army has “cleaned up” its act in the interim.

sagegrouse

strawbs
03-16-2010, 11:28 PM
I didn't get a chance to watch the game tonight. How did A P-B look? Do they have anyone on their team who could really give duke headaches? I am 100% confident duke would win, but i'm hoping for a blowout so scheyer, singler, and smith can be as fresh as possible for the 2nd round

gofurman
03-16-2010, 11:38 PM
a few thoughts - I did not watch the game so this is just from ESPN:

generally a low scoring team- last 5 games fwiw
MVSU W 84-68
MVSU W 69-66
ALST W 46-44
TXSO W 50-38
vs. WIN W 61-44

Interesting - they lost their first 11 games to start the year against "big" schools like Colorado, Denver, UTEP - they will not be shocked at the size or speed but they didn't win any of those either.

Here is a telling run of scores:
12/05 @ MICH L 67-53
12/13 @ OKST L 81-66
12/16 @ GT L 65-53
12/19 @ MIZZ L 88-70
12/21 @ KSU L 90-76

so they are not "bad" - losing by about 15 to good programs like GT and even a great K State team.

NOTHING SHOULD BE TAKEN FOR GRANTED

Anyway, they don't have that one guy you fear - rather they have 5 guys who can score 10 on you so not a team to hedge towards the key guy:

Name pt Reb Ast
Terrance Calvin 10.4 ; 5.2 ; 4.0
Savalance Townsend 10.2 ; 3.5 ; 1.8
Lebaron Weathers 9.9 ; 6.8 ; 0.5
Tavaris Washington 9.6 ; 4.6 ; 1.9
Tyree Glass 8.1 ; 3.7 ; 0.8

One Big guy in Weathers at 6'8" 245

I just realized all 5 starters tonight were Seniors. That is impressive.

BigZ
03-16-2010, 11:42 PM
Terrance Calvin is their leading scorer at just 10.4 points / game.

Abraxas
03-16-2010, 11:45 PM
http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Arkansas%20Pine%20Bluff

Mostly Man defense. They seem to have reasonable defense with quite a few blocks (in small ball conference), but scoring with difficulty.
They played Georgia Tech, and in fact, they resemble them with their roster stats.

1999ballboy
03-16-2010, 11:45 PM
This team has had a really interesting season. Started out 0-11, but that was against an exceptionally strong out-of-conference schedule. It would be considered a strong OOC schedule for almost any team, actually. And they didn't do half bad in some of those games- their losses to GT and K-State were not blowouts, and it's safe to say that their early-season schedule has done them good- they went 17-4 the rest of the season. I'm actually not sure a SWAC team has ever won a play-in game, and they just beat Winthrop with ease. Duke will win and it won't be close, but I'd only put the over/under at around 20.

Bob Green
03-17-2010, 07:12 AM
This match-up has a nice side story. ARPB coach George Ivory was a star player at Mississippi Valley State in 1986. MVS lost to Duke 85-78 in the NCAAT.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BKC_NCAA_OPENING_GAME?SITE=FLJAJ&SECTION=SPORTS&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

The 86 game was when Johnny Dawkins put the Blue Devils on his back and willed the team to victory.

Saratoga2
03-17-2010, 07:56 AM
We shouldn't take this game lightly. True, they will have trouble scoring against us, but they do have a good defense, have played some very good opponents and are playinng with a lot of energy.

My thoughhts

1. Duke should stay with the haalf court defense to limit their scoring and use our size advantage to out rebound them. What we don't want to do is give them a lot of points from the free throw line. Thomas needs to avoid bumping 30 feet from the basket, Nolan and the Plumlees also need to check their tendency to foul.

2. They will pressure us coming up. We need to remember our Clemson form which negated their press.

3. They will give us different defensive looks. I expect a lot of zone. Since our outside shooting has been suspect, and out bigs are not big offensive threats, we need to find a way to score on the zone. Running Singler to the top of the key is a good idea. He can shoot or perhaaps go to a big inside. Some help may come from Dawkins shooting over the zone and from Mason insde.

4. We need to get offensive rebounds so our possessions are significantly more than theirs

moonpie23
03-17-2010, 08:15 AM
i hope the team/staff/fans don't take ANY upcoming game lightly....

OldPhiKap
03-17-2010, 09:21 AM

I cannot imagine the team or staff taking anything lightly. Even though I do not think they will have too many hard physical practices given the stretch we just played, I am sure that they are going over the game plan right now.

K's teams, if anything, are prepared.

sagegrouse
03-17-2010, 09:26 PM
I cannot imagine the team or staff taking anything lightly. Even though I do not think they will have too many hard physical practices given the stretch we just played, I am sure that they are going over the game plan right now.

Preparation for the first weekend should be superb. This is the second week in a row that Duke has three practice days to work on offensive and defensive sets. There is hardly any time in the regular season, esp. when playing the twice-weekly conference schedule. We should see some new stuff, perhaps for Jon, designed to get him better plays in penetration. Perhaps for Mason and Andre, given the strides both have made. Will be interesting to see.

Lot of games between now and Friday evening. I hope I survive to enjoy the Duke game.

sagegrouse
'Somehow I imagined that Pine Bluff was close to Blytheville, the hometown of former Duke President Nan Keohane. But, in truth, they are 200 miles apart.'

94duke
03-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Wow, our pre-game thread fell to the second page.

Hopefully Duke can get rolling early in this tournament.
I would love to see our guys find a comfort zone with some great D and rebounding and some nice offensive flow.

Go Duke!

NSDukeFan
03-18-2010, 11:31 AM
I would love to see us get out to a big lead early and really hope to see some good performances from Miles, Mason, Andre and Ryan especially. I don't need any stress in the first game. Actually, I don't need any stress in any of the games, so if the team feels they can blow out each team on the way to the title, I would be ok with that.

KyDevilinIL
03-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Obviously, we'd love for Duke to just crush these guys out of the gate. I think the first game of the NCAAT often sets a tone for the rest of the tourney.

Just off the top of my head (and in no particular order), I remember Duke teams playing close games – at least for a longer-than-expected period of time – against Miss Valley State, Murray State, Lamar, Belmont (duh), Southern, Colorado State, etc. With the exception of 1986, none of those Duke teams advanced past the Sweet 16.

Besides, I didn't have time to look, but isn't there a trend over the past 15 years or so that if Duke wins either it's first- or second-round game by fewer than 10 points, it almost always loses the next game? I know it's crazy to buy into stuff like that, but I'm under the impression that it's worked out that way a large portion of the time.

UPDATE:
I went back 10 years:
2000: Won second round game over Kansas 69-64, lost in Sweet 16 to Florida 87-78
2002: Won second round game over Notre Dame 84-77, lost in Sweet 16 to Indiana 74-73
2003: Won second round game over Central Michigan 86-80, lost in Sweet 16 to Kansas 69-65
2005: Won second round game over Mississippi State 63-55, lost in Sweet 16 to Michigan State 78-68
2008: Won first round game over Belmont 71-70, lost in second round to West Virginia 78-63
2009: Won second round game over Texas 74-69, lost in Sweet 16 to Villanova 77-54

Of course, this could be purely coincidental. But it speaks, I suppose, to how well we're playing overall in the tournament. Ignore or overblow this information as you see fit.

theAlaskanBear
03-18-2010, 11:38 AM
I would love to see us get out to a big lead early and really hope to see some good performances from Miles, Mason, Andre and Ryan especially. I don't need any stress in the first game. Actually, I don't need any stress in any of the games, so if the team feels they can blow out each team on the way to the title, I would be ok with that.

I'm hoping to see Jon have a big game. And contributions from our bench are important!

jv001
03-18-2010, 04:38 PM
I look for Duke to come out fired up for this game. I cannot imagine Coach K has not spoken to the team about how some of the media has suggested we unfairly received the #1 seed. And with the practice days some posters have mentioned it could mean some new wrinkles in our offense and our defense. I bet Jon has worked on his shooting in a few of the practice sessions. He could be huge for us in these coming weeks. Go Duke!

OldPhiKap
03-18-2010, 04:58 PM
If any of them watched this afternoon's games, I'm sure they are cured of thinking that some small conference team is insignificant. So far Bob Morris took #2 seed 'Nova to OT; Old Dominion beat ND; and Murray State erased Vandy. The small conferences are representing.

moonpie23
03-18-2010, 05:42 PM
might speak as much for Vandy, Nova and ND as much as the little guys...

Mr Blue Devil
03-18-2010, 06:57 PM
What a blast that was! It was very cool to see them in such a simple and intimate setting. Jax Memorial Arena is great, it was my first time there.

Anyway the team practiced for close to 50 minutes. They stretched, ran typical drills and did a lot of full court transistion/fast break drills. They also scrimmaged. The team looks loose and very ready. Not a lot of shots were falling in the beginning but by the end of practice they were hitting everything.

Zoubek dunks every time he gets the ball. Granted, he isn't being guarded but still good to see!!!

Coach K and all the assistats were on the floor. Coach Collins and Wojo were very involved with the drills and Wojo can still make some incredible passes!

The team left the court and Dre, Singler and Scheyer stopped for a few autographs. I got Dre to sign my hat.

K had a quick word or two with Clark Kellogg and walked off. Fans were begging for autographs and he nicely said, "If I sign one, I have to sign them all" and walked off.

Duke easily had the biggest crowd of fans there. It was great to see.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-18-2010, 07:32 PM
I went to the open practice last year in Greensboro. The drills were intense, varied and thorough. It was amazing how much the team and coaches got into that time slot. It was clear that the coaches had organized every second and that this wasn't the first such practice they'd organized. At the end of the session there was even some time devoted to some showboating (dunking, etc.) to entertain the fans.

gofurman
03-18-2010, 08:32 PM

dang straight - villanova and vanderbilt and georgetown...

Indoor66
03-18-2010, 09:12 PM
The Sun-Sentinal showed Duke as a 23 point favorite.

roywhite
03-18-2010, 10:15 PM
18 and 4 over the last 22 games...

Duke? Well, yes, but also Arkansas PB. After an 0-11 start, they have won 18 of 22 to come into the game with an 18-15 record.

Don't snooze, Devils.

Leck
03-19-2010, 01:07 AM
athletic teams that pressure full court and play zone give us trouble. that said, if we attack the zone, get good shots, and grab offensive rebs we'll be in good shape. i think our defense and rebounding ability will be the difference, as it has been all year long.

also, look for K to get some early minutes for dre and the plumlees. hopefully ryan kelly too.

proelitedota
03-19-2010, 02:20 AM
What are the chances that APB gives us some scares? :(

juise
03-19-2010, 02:24 AM
What are the chances that APB gives us some scares? :(

Roughly 28%.

proelitedota
03-19-2010, 02:38 AM
Roughly 28%.

Damn, I thought it was 19% at first glance.

oldnavy
03-19-2010, 07:41 AM

I think they are focused.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=32446

RelativeWays
03-19-2010, 07:53 AM
Duke needs to come out with the attitude of destroying Ark-PB and destroying them early. They need to attack them like they attacked UNC in the last regular season game and they need to attack them for 40 minutes.

We know that Duke is no longer feared, they are viewed as an opportunity to make history on. Ark-PB has 8 guys that would love to play Eric Maynor and knock off the most hated team in America and be the first 16 to knock of a 1. This is a dangerous combination that can only be countered by sheer ruthlessness.

Duke needs to play with a chip on its shoulder. Everyone says they have the easiest bracket, but they didn't deserve a number one seed, they haven't proved anything since 2004. I would love this team to play with a killer instinct. The kind that would make Darth Vader proud.

davekay1971
03-19-2010, 08:06 AM
I would love this team to play with a killer instinct. The kind that would make Darth Vader proud.

Assuming, of course, you're referring to Empire Strikes Back Darth Vader, wiping out incompetent generals and employing "harsh interrogation tactics" on Han Solo, not touchy-feely "it's too late for me" Return of the Jedi Vader.

NSDukeFan
03-19-2010, 10:12 AM
athletic teams that pressure full court and play zone give us trouble. that said, if we attack the zone, get good shots, and grab offensive rebs we'll be in good shape. i think our defense and rebounding ability will be the difference, as it has been all year long.

also, look for K to get some early minutes for dre and the plumlees. hopefully ryan kelly too.

I don't recall any athletic teams that pressure full court and play zone giving us any trouble this year. Georgetown and Wisconsin played man-to-man half-court. Tech played mosly man, though they pressed some. Clemson presses more than anyone and we were 2-0 against them. Which athletic teams gave us trouble with pressure and a zone?

86devils
03-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Some photos from Thursday's open practice in Jacksonville.

Neals384
03-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Thx for the great photos. Looks like the place was pretty empty?

86devils
03-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks. There were probably several hundred people there, but most were sitting on the same side that I was, so the other side looks pretty empty. From what I heard from a few people who had been there all day (including a couple of stadium workers), Duke had the largest crowd by far, and arguably the most intense practice session. As has become their custom at open practices in the tournament, the team took a few minutes after practice to express their appreciation to the crowd, throw out a bunch of t-shirts, and give signed souvenir basketballs to several kids (who were THRILLED to get them).

Below are a few more photos -- a series that I like to call "Anatomy of a Three Pointer."

scottdude8
03-19-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm heading down to Jacksonville now to cover the game for The Chronicle... here's a link to my initial thoughts on the weekend.

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2010/03/19/heading-down-to-jacksonville-initial-thoughts-on-dukes-weekend/

-bdbd
03-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Duke needs to come out with the attitude of destroying Ark-PB and destroying them early. They need to attack them like they attacked UNC in the last regular season game and they need to attack them for 40 minutes.

We know that Duke is no longer feared, they are viewed as an opportunity to make history on. Ark-PB has 8 guys that would love to play Eric Maynor and knock off the most hated team in America and be the first 16 to knock of a 1. This is a dangerous combination that can only be countered by sheer ruthlessness.

Duke needs to play with a chip on its shoulder. Everyone says they have the easiest bracket, but they didn't deserve a number one seed, they haven't proved anything since 2004. I would love this team to play with a killer instinct. The kind that would make Darth Vader proud.

Well-stated. I'd really like to see them make this a "statement" game to send a message to CAL/Louisville and others to come.......... Focus - focus - focus!!

I trust our Senior leadership to ensure that. Starting three Seniors and two Juniors, this team should play composed and focused. It's the other guys who should be nervous. Fingers crossed.

86devils
03-19-2010, 01:08 PM
I agree that it will be important for the bench to gain some confidence tonight, but if practice is any indication, they're pretty pumped up. One of the photos that I sent to DBR last night is of Dawkins' attempted dunk over Zoubek in practice (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=32470) mentioned in Tim Hall's article.

By the way, is The Chronicle sending a photographer with you this weekend? I look forward to your updates throughout the weekend.

strawbs
03-19-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks. There were probably several hundred people there, but most were sitting on the same side that I was, so the other side looks pretty empty. From what I heard from a few people who had been there all day (including a couple of stadium workers), Duke had the largest crowd by far, and arguably the most intense practice session. As has become their custom at open practices in the tournament, the team took a few minutes after practice to express their appreciation to the crowd, throw out a bunch of t-shirts, and give signed souvenir basketballs to several kids (who were THRILLED to get them).

Below are a few more photos -- a series that I like to call "Anatomy of a Three Pointer."

How did scheyer look in practice?

86devils
03-19-2010, 01:47 PM
How did scheyer look in practice?

He looked relaxed, but focused, in my opinion. When he was shooting, he wasn't hitting a lot a first, but shots began to fall later. When the team was running the floor (looked like they were working on transitions), he was making some good passes and took quite a few lay-ups as well. The last thing I remember him working on was driving to the basket (see photos below). I definitely noticed his leadership during the practice.

BD80
03-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Assuming, of course, you're referring to Empire Strikes Back Darth Vader, wiping out incompetent generals and employing "harsh interrogation tactics" on Han Solo, not touchy-feely "it's too late for me" Return of the Jedi Vader.

I would like to see the newly anointed Darth Vader who slaughtered the younglings at the Jedi Temple. That is the level of dominance I am looking for. I think Z can provide the necessary physicality.

DukieInBrasil
03-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Don't forget that Vader from the "New Hope" aka Star Wars was pretty mean too. Duke needs to channel that Vader, and treat the APB squad as if they were the rebels hiding stolen plans. "I want you to tear this (team) apart..." Empire Strikes Back Vader is pretty hard core too, ripping pipes off of their moorings and hurtle them towards the enemy (Luke). It'd be pretty sweet if Z could get some Jedi powers and levitate for a massive dunk over pretty much the whole APB squad. I have to agree tho' Return of the Jedi Vader is way too much of a softy, getting all emotional and stuff...

OldPhiKap
03-19-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm more of a Chad Vader fan, myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wGR4-SeuJ0&feature=PlayList&p=E4B07B735BED2EE3&index=0&playnext=1

But after reading the quotes from Lance and Zoubs, I think they are coming to play tonight.

juise
03-19-2010, 03:04 PM
I would like to see the newly anointed Darth Vader who slaughtered the younglings at the Jedi Temple. That is the level of dominance I am looking for. I think Z can provide the necessary physicality.

Yes. I think a little Order 66 is in order for AKPB. :)

86devils, those are great shots. Thanks for sharing.

proelitedota
03-19-2010, 03:09 PM
I hope this thread isn't jinxing our team.

Dukeknights
03-19-2010, 03:16 PM
to the OP: I hope Coach K inserts Dre, Mason and Miles into the line-up lots tonight. If we could get 3 more scorers on to the team that would be awesome. We need Dre to get more PT and to score more(i am talking about 10-12 a game in the tourny) if we want to make and win the FF. Mason and Miles need to keep grabbing rebounds, make energetic plays, block shots and maybe pour in 5-7 a game in the tourny. We need Zoubek to continue doing what he was doing later in the season. If Cali beats the Ville our big men will really have GREAT oppurtunities to score. Lance Thomas- keep doing your thing defensively, keep altering shots, rebounding. Lance may not score much and is terrible going up with it, but Lance is our best defender and the glue to the defense. Plus he rebounds well.

OldPhiKap
03-19-2010, 04:23 PM
I hope this thread isn't jinxing our team.

Although the thread has veered into silly at points, I don't think anyone is disparaging APB or taking them lightly.

Zeb
03-19-2010, 05:18 PM
If you haven't checked out the Vault at cbssports, I urge you to do so. It's cool--old tourney games at decent resolution with NO commercials. NSFW BTW - you will waste hours of your time.

I just re-watched the 2001 championship game for the first time. Here's what struck me--while that team was good, they were far from perfect in that game. Jason Williams was mediocre. Boozer made a couple of nice shots down low, but he was not nearly the force down low Loren Woods was. Dunleavy had that amazing stretch when he hit 3 treys in 45 seconds, but even after that burst AZ made it a one possession game several times in the second half. Battier made some unusual and spectacular plays down the stretch--without those, could have been a totally different outcome. (It also appears that Arenas was not himself--Agent Zero is a much more noticable as a NBA player than he was in this game, which was surprising.)

I think after a tough stretch in the last five tourneys, Duke fans have a tendency to think that to win it all, you have to be invincable. Watching the 2001 team reminded me you don't. That team shot a lot of threes (and missed a lot of them!). That team relied on the perimter scoring of 3 players (two of them just sophomores). That team might have scored easier in the paint, but did not have nearly the size we do now and gave up more boards. I'm not saying we're a lock or anything, but it was just a nice reality check--a lot of the tournament is about luck. Duke has had some tough luck the past few years. I think this year's team is just plain tough, and overdue for some luck. I am ready for a nice deep run. It needs to start with a dominant opening round performance tonight. Go Duke.

MChambers
03-19-2010, 05:23 PM
If you haven't checked out the Vault at cbssports, I urge you to do so. It's cool--old tourney games at decent resolution with NO commercials. NSFW BTW - you will waste hours of your time.

I just re-watched the 2001 championship game for the first time. Here's what struck me--while that team was good, they were far from perfect in that game. Jason Williams was mediocre. Boozer made a couple of nice shots down low, but he was not nearly the force down low Loren Woods was. Dunleavy had that amazing stretch when he hit 3 treys in 45 seconds, but even after that burst AZ made it a one possession game several times in the second half. Battier made some unusual and spectacular plays down the stretch--without those, could have been a totally different outcome. (It also appears that Arenas was not himself--Agent Zero is a much more noticable as a NBA player than he was in this game, which was surprising.)

I think after a tough stretch in the last five tourneys, Duke fans have a tendency to think that to win it all, you have to be invincable. Watching the 2001 team reminded me you don't. That team shot a lot of threes (and missed a lot of them!). That team relied on the perimter scoring of 3 players (two of them just sophomores). That team might have scored easier in the paint, but did not have nearly the size we do now and gave up more boards. I'm not saying we're a lock or anything, but it was just a nice reality check--a lot of the tournament is about luck. Duke has had some tough luck the past few years. I think this year's team is just plain tough, and overdue for some luck. I am ready for a nice deep run. It needs to start with a dominant opening round performance tonight. Go Duke.

Arenas had a bad back; Williams was sick.

ChicagoCrazy84
03-19-2010, 06:29 PM
I am going to be off the computer for the next couple days, so I gotta get me cheers in now.

LET"S GO DUKE!!!! AHHHH!!! NO MERCY!!!!!!!

theAlaskanBear
03-19-2010, 06:33 PM

I brought this up the other night, in the South thread, I didn't get much agreement, but I agree with you!

Classof06
03-19-2010, 06:45 PM
I think Duke fans are going to learn how valuable and different it is to have four big bodies on the front line.

It's that time of year; just win, baby..

GO DUKE

moonpie23
03-19-2010, 07:11 PM
almost time....

HAMMER DOWN !!!

-bdbd
03-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Just...can't...wait! Pleeeease...start!!! Need...my....fix!!!

Give em hell Duke!

I'm pulling for a "message" game/result. :eek:

:D :D :D

proelitedota
03-19-2010, 07:24 PM
I think we should play as hard as we can so that we can get more play time for our bench players after a comfortable lead.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Looking good Zoubs

Kfanarmy
... It is the only military base I know of where the locals tried to have it closed, so concerned were they about the hazards emanating from the facility.
sagegrouse I suspect there have been a few more...but that's another thread. game starting.

riverside6
live tempo-based stats for the game here...

http://scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=6698

YourLandlord
03-19-2010, 07:31 PM
MMOD down for anyone else?

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-19-2010, 07:33 PM
MMOD down for anyone else?

What's MMOD?

TNDukeFan
03-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Working fine for me in Tennessee.

Cockabeau
03-19-2010, 07:38 PM
oh if zoubek was a junior this year....

Cameron
03-19-2010, 07:38 PM
MMOD is down for me. Son of an f'n _____.

I am really frustrated right now.

Cameron
03-19-2010, 07:39 PM
I am listening to Bob, and, of course, ESPN Triangle is not working well either.

Cameron
03-19-2010, 07:40 PM
It's back now. Wheewww!

chattpanther
03-19-2010, 07:41 PM
MMOD is down for me. Son of an f'n _____.

I am really frustrated right now.

Trying to watch on CBS Sportsline. It is not working. First time today.

proelitedota
03-19-2010, 07:42 PM
Freethrow line game. zzzzzzzzzzz.

TNDukeFan
03-19-2010, 07:47 PM
ACC 1/3 right now.

proelitedota
03-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Scheyer should try to go for his 2000th points while he can imo.

AlaskanAssassin
03-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Nolan is forcing shots up, hope he gets it going.

Magnolia888
03-19-2010, 08:00 PM
What's MMOD?

March Madness On Demand (http://mmod.ncaa.com/).

DukieInBrasil
03-19-2010, 08:01 PM
Well, we certainly wanted Duke to come out of the gates fast and put the bad guys in a big hole fast and they have done that pretty well. Stifling D on an undermanned team and decent offensive production has us up big so far. Good sign.

proelitedota
03-19-2010, 08:01 PM
This game is so boring to watch. :(:mad:

Let's do some dunks or alley-oops please.

YourLandlord
03-19-2010, 08:07 PM

comment of the year.

DukieInBrasil
03-19-2010, 08:12 PM
so far, if you remove Nolan's 0-6 and Mason's 0-2 the rest of the team is a sizzling 11-16 from the floor. What's up Nolan? At least he has aced his FTs so far.

proelitedota
03-19-2010, 08:12 PM
so far, if you remove Nolan's 0-6 and Mason's 0-2 the rest of the team is a sizzling 11-16 from the floor. What's up Nolan? At least he has aced his FTs so far.

Nolan is getting hacked on his way up.

dukeballer2294
03-19-2010, 08:16 PM
i had the game on mmod, then at a time out i attempted to switch to high quality, hasnt been working since fml

jinsang.kim
03-19-2010, 08:16 PM
comment of the year.

lol

It is boring! But being able to watch over ESPN is awesome especially when you are away from the states! :D

DukieInBrasil
03-19-2010, 08:19 PM
the ncaa.com game announcers (audio only version since my iT connection ain't so good) were just observing about Duke's big men and saying that Z doesn't have "very good lift from the floor", which is true. He then went on to say that when they bring in the MPs that neither of them have "very good lift from the floor either. Just goes to show that you gotta know your teammates..." WHUH? Those 2 dudes can SKY!! Miles was a HS high jump state champ fer chrissakes. Gotta know the players hunh? Take your own advice, announcer....

YourLandlord
03-19-2010, 08:20 PM

Did that alley-oop attempt to big z satisfy you?

arnie
03-19-2010, 08:24 PM
This team we're playing tonite isn't that much better than the Heels - how did A-PB get in the tourney?

jinsang.kim
03-19-2010, 08:25 PM
This team we're playing tonite isn't that much better than the Heels - how did A-PB get in the tourney?

LOL, well, this team is at least in the tourney, Heels don't even belong here! :D

GLTBD
03-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Scheyer should try to go for his 2000th points while he can imo.

How may points does Jon need to reach 2000?

basket1544
03-19-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm not sure what is going on with Jon and Nolan, but Lance has been The Man tonight! I wish the announcer could pronounce Zoubek. Oh well. First half was done by a very good team; I want the second half to start out with a great team.

dairedevil
03-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Just trying to keep up with what is happening. In Atlanta, we've gotten GT/OSU, which I understand, but why did they go to New Mexico State and Michigan State? I can't watch online, since I'm sitting at the hospital with my mom, who is upset that she can't see Duke play!
How does Duke look? Are they as dominating as the score? Did they start out slowly like they have in so many games, or are they playing with confidence and poise? Is it just that the talent level of Ark PB so much less that they are scoring big?

moonpie23
03-19-2010, 08:29 PM
man, mason is just DYING to throw that slam down.... !!! hopefully it will be at a more demoralizing time during a game...

:)
lance is playing great......kyle as well, just need to get jon in the mix...

looked like andre was really trying to get his own game going...it will be interesting to see what he gets in the 2nd half..

zoubs is awesome..

Tucknut
03-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Highlight of the first half - Zoub's impressive 3-inch vertical leap on that lob attempt. :D

And I love how Ryan always looks to feed it inside.

proelitedota
03-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Just trying to keep up with what is happening. In Atlanta, we've gotten GT/OSU, which I understand, but why did they go to New Mexico State and Michigan State? I can't watch online, since I'm sitting at the hospital with my mom, who is upset that she can't see Duke play!
How does Duke look? Are they as dominating as the score? Did they start out slowly like they have in so many games, or are they playing with confidence and poise? Is it just that the talent level of Ark PB so much less that they are scoring big?

This.

basket1544
03-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Highlight of the first half - Zoub's impressive 3-inch vertical leap on that lob attempt. :D

And I love how Ryan always looks to feed it inside.

I think the highlight was Lance under the basket all alone. Or Z bringing the ball over the time line.

proelitedota
03-19-2010, 08:33 PM
We need to keep APB from mounting a comeback blitz at the start of the second half by playing iron defense. I think we can bag this one if we, i don't know, run some clock starting the 15 min mark?

Cameron
03-19-2010, 08:33 PM
Anyone know the TV schedule for Sunday's games? CBS doesn't appear to have the slots posted yet.

94duke
03-19-2010, 08:37 PM

He scored 6 in the first half.
13 to go.

Also passed Shane and Art Heyman for 10th all-time!

Faustus
03-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Was wondering when CBS would yank us in central VA from the game (and in all fairness I have no problem with that). For the record, it was at 9:42 remaining in the 1st half at 22-7. That's fine with me under the circs. Certainly better than last night when they actually pulled us from the Georgetown-Ohio game because it was no longer competitive. What a shame, that...

BoozerWasFouled
03-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Dairedevil, why can't you watch at cbssports.com? Or try streaming a radio broadcast if you are on a wireless device.

hsheffield
03-19-2010, 09:01 PM
"all wet'' ??????

all wet like what? I shudder to think!!!

dairedevil
03-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Dairedevil, why can't you watch at cbssports.com? Or try streaming a radio broadcast if you are on a wireless device.

I've managed to get to the game, with a little help...I figured that the hospital was blocking the streaming video. There have been some sites that I can't get to due to their controls.

wgl1228
03-19-2010, 09:10 PM
I have a feeling we are going to have to wait one more game for Scheyer's 2000 points.

devildownunder
03-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Jon's shot looks really good and the big guys are getting lots of minutes and -- hopefully -- confidence. These are all good things. If Jon continues to shoot well, we've got a leg up on a good run.

For once, I agree with the horde of haters who annually say we got the easiest road to the FF.

proelitedota
03-19-2010, 09:13 PM
We need to score more against what is probably the weakest defense we'll face again in this tournament.

devildownunder
03-19-2010, 09:14 PM
"all wet'' ??????

all wet like what? I shudder to think!!!

isn't it a play on words: all net, "all wet"?

Anyway, that's my take. I really don't think it's anything dirty.

Indoor66
03-19-2010, 09:14 PM
We need to score more against what is probably the weakest defense we'll face again in this tournament.

Well, we are up 27....

Duvall
03-19-2010, 09:32 PM

Not necessarily; Duke might face Cal.

This game was played at a pretty languid pace.