PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Arkansas-Pine Bluff 61, Winthrop 44

pfrduke
03-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Thoughts on the play-in game to determine Duke's upcoming opponent here.

pfrduke
03-16-2010, 07:41 PM
4 minutes is not a lot of basketball to extrapolate from, but I think either of these teams would have a very, very hard time scoring against us.

pfrduke
03-16-2010, 07:47 PM
I see from a brief look at Kenpom that my 4 minute observation is consistent with a season's worth of data:

Winthrop - 92.8 points per 100 possessions, ranked 307th in the country
Ark-PB - 93.4 points per 100 possessions, ranked 302nd in the country

hc5duke
03-16-2010, 07:51 PM
typically i root for the team with the best player name when i don't know them. it's a tough call between mantoris and lebaron

Duvall
03-16-2010, 07:56 PM
typically i root for the team with the best player name when i don't know them. it's a tough call between mantoris and lebaron

Gotta go with Mantoris there, I think.

91devil
03-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Neither of these teams shoot very well. I think they'd both have a hard time scoring 60 points against us.

Cavlaw
03-16-2010, 08:11 PM
APB's offense seems to consist of clearing out the paint to let someone try to drive on his defender. Help-side defense should really make it difficult for them to score, and in a pinch "Orange" would shut them down.

Winthrop, on the other hand, looks like the have trouble driving, but their passes are not crisp and passing lanes are not open.

I'm encouraged by this game.

YourLandlord
03-16-2010, 08:22 PM
A dash pee bee
who the **** you come to see?
pee bee ************!
pee bee ************!

pfrduke
03-16-2010, 08:25 PM

Savalance isn't a bad candidate either.

Bluedevil114
03-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Hopefully this means we can get some good bench play and keep the Big Three rested as much as possible. The second round game scares me if we play Louisville so the more rest the better. Duke does need Scheyer to come out of his scoring slump. His shot in the tournament had no legs behind them.

GO DUKE!!

CDu
03-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Neither of these teams shoot very well. I think they'd both have a hard time scoring 60 points against us.

Well, a lot of teams have trouble scoring 60 against us. We've held 17 of our 34 opponents to under 60 and 26 of our 34 opponents below 70.

Considering that these teams are in the 300s in terms of offensive efficiency, I'd hope we'd hold them to below 60.

Kedsy
03-16-2010, 08:58 PM
I'm encouraged by this game.

Were you worried before?

CDu
03-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Were you worried before?

Yeah, there's a reason why a #16 has never beaten a #1. And these teams were considered the two worst in the field (the worst of the 16s). Obviously anything could happen. But we're going to be HEAVILY favored on Friday.

mgtr
03-16-2010, 09:07 PM
It looks as though both teams would allow us to shoot unmolested threes. And if we miss, we have some pretty fair rebounders. Maybe, as a previous poster suggested, we can rest some players in this game.

NashvilleDevil
03-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Were you worried before?

I think cavlaw is encouraged because it appears Duke can give the starters some rest playing either team. I do not want to have a game like Duke had against Belmont. Down to the wire, last game of the night then play the early 2nd round game against WVU.

pfrduke
03-16-2010, 09:18 PM
I think cavlaw is encouraged because it appears Duke can give the starters some rest playing either team. I do not want to have a game like Duke had against Belmont. Down to the wire, last game of the night then play the early 2nd round game against WVU.

Neither of these teams is Belmont. Both are below 200 in the Pomeroy Rankings. We've played 4 200+ teams this year:

UNCG: 96-62
Radford: 104-67
Gardner-Webb: 113-68
Penn: 114-55

We scored 141.86 points per 100 possessions against such opponents, and allowed 83.72.

I'm not saying the team shouldn't take them seriously. But I'm saying we should expect a 25+ point win. I'm also saying that we could have a complete and utter offensive meltdown, play average defense (by our standards) and win by 10+.

NashvilleDevil
03-16-2010, 09:25 PM
lebaron

Is it Jon Voight's?

trinity92
03-16-2010, 09:36 PM
I always thought the #1 overall team in the tourney got to play the winner of the play-in game. Why do we get to play them?

-jk
03-16-2010, 09:38 PM
I always thought the #1 overall team in the tourney got to play the winner of the play-in game. Why do we get to play them?

Friday and geography.

-jk

Duvall
03-16-2010, 09:39 PM

Because the winner of the play-in game doesn't play the #1 overall seed if that team is playing at a Thursday/Saturday site. Which Kansas is.

Cavlaw
03-16-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm encouraged because after the ACCT I'd like to see Duke have dominant performance to boost the team's confidence going into what could be a tight second-round game.

I don't think APB can defend Duke, and despite APB's rebounding advantage over their major conference foes in the early season I don't think they will beat out our bigs on the boards. APB's offense is also anemic, which I think is important because Duke's shooting didn't look terrific in the ACCT, and if Duke starts out cold against APB our guys can shoot their way out of it without a risk of the game getting away from them. I want the team comfortable with the rims before playing Louiville or Cal.

Saratoga2
03-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Arkansas PB is a small quick team that applies a lot of defensive pressure and moves fresh bodies in regularly. They can press a little and switched from man to man to zone in the halfcourt and gave Winthrop a lot of looks. They also tend to crash the boards at time.

They they don't seem confident shooting the ball from outside nor are their guards great at breaking the defense down. My view is that they will have trouble scoring against us and we should also have a significant rebounding advantage. One issue for us will be the amount of defensive pressure which might be quite tiring and might also force some turnovers.

I recommend not pressing them and just play our normal half court defense.

Fish80
03-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Let's get ready for the golden lions! We once beat the golden saluki's. I wonder what our record is versus "golden" teams? Must google ...

pfrduke
03-16-2010, 11:01 PM
Let's get ready for the golden lions! We once beat the golden saluki's. I wonder what our record is versus "golden" teams? Must google ...

Who in the world are the Golden Salukis? Not Southern Illinois (at least not anymore).

Tulsa used to be the Golden Hurricanes - is that still the case?

Newton_14
03-16-2010, 11:03 PM

This rule leads to confusion every year and I wish the NCAA would just drop the pretense that the overall Number 1 Seed gets the winner of the play in game.

Surely there are hating souls out there today screaming that Duke got the overall Number 1 Seed and what a tragedy it is that the committee is conspiring to help Duke.

In reality, the overall Number 1 Seed gets the winner of the play-in game if and only if, the overall Number 1 Seed draws a Friday/Sunday region in the opening games. This is too allow the winner of the play-in game an extra day of rest and prep coming off the play-in game on Tuesday. They will not be put in a Thursday/Saturday region. Kansas is the overall Number 1 Seed but they play on Thursday so they could not get the play-in winner.

pfrduke
03-16-2010, 11:07 PM
This rule leads to confusion every year and I wish the NCAA would just drop the pretense that the overall Number 1 Seed gets the winner of the play in game.

The NCAA has never advanced the pretense that the overall #1 gets the play-in winner. People simply assume it (and it's a rational assumption to make).

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-16-2010, 11:15 PM
Bring on the #16 team, should be fun to watch, hopefully Jon breaks 2,000 points this game.

Underdog5
03-16-2010, 11:29 PM
...just about all of my mother's siblings and my younger brother went to UAPB (my family is from 30 miles down the road). My damn phone has not stop ringing for the last few hours! And they are talking trash!!! I swear if we don't win by 40, I will be pissed! I know its cruel but I want to embarrass this team and leave no doubt. Otherwise I will be spending this years reunion alone.

hurleyfor3
03-17-2010, 08:58 AM

I don't remember losing to Marquette since they've been the Golden Eagles.

Have we ever played Minnesota under K? Can't recall a game. Of course we've played in Minnesota, with very happy results.

Kent State is the Golden Flash, but I don't remember any games against them, either.

pfrduke
03-17-2010, 11:12 AM
I don't remember losing to Marquette since they've been the Golden Eagles.

Have we ever played Minnesota under K? Can't recall a game. Of course we've played in Minnesota, with very happy results.

Kent State is the Golden Flash, but I don't remember any games against them, either.

We played and lost to Marquette in the fall of 2006 in the CBE tournament finals. We played and beat Kent State in the fall of 2006 in Cameron.

dukelifer
03-17-2010, 03:53 PM
...just about all of my mother's siblings and my younger brother went to UAPB (my family is from 30 miles down the road). My damn phone has not stop ringing for the last few hours! And they are talking trash!!! I swear if we don't win by 40, I will be pissed! I know its cruel but I want to embarrass this team and leave no doubt. Otherwise I will be spending this years reunion alone.

40? Doubt that will happen- it rarely does- so may be time to join another family.