PDA

View Full Version : State loses a recruit

rotogod00
03-16-2010, 11:45 AM
According to multiple sources, ESPNU 100 power forward Luke Cothron has reneged on his verbal commitment to N.C. State and will look at other schools before the National Signing period begins in April.

Cothron, the No. 12 power forward on ESPN.com, is expected to look at Kentucky, Florida, Texas A&M, Alabama and Connecticut among others.

Jderf
03-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Goodbye Sidney Lowe.

CDu
03-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Goodbye Sidney Lowe.

Not really. Cothron was, by a wide margin, the third biggest recruit for NC State next year. They have a top-tier PG and SG coming in. I don't think the loss Cothron changes anything.

Jderf
03-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Not really. Cothron was, by a wide margin, the third biggest recruit for NC State next year. They have a top-tier PG and SG coming in. I don't think the loss Cothron changes anything.

Yea, you're probably right... may have overreacted. Still has gotta hurt, though.

allenmurray
03-16-2010, 12:33 PM
It makes next year's recruiting class crucial for Lowe. He's still got Tracy Smith for this fall, but for 2011-12 he needs a PF.

CDu
03-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Yea, you're probably right... may have overreacted. Still has gotta hurt, though.

Yeah, it's not good news by any means. But they'll have some size next year. Smith, Howell, Painter, and Vandenburg will fill in, and I'm sure Williams and Davis will play some as undersized 4s.

What it does mean, as was noted by another poster in this thread, is that Lowe REALLY needs to land a big in next year's recruiting class. Or maybe they re-land Cothron.

jimsumner
03-16-2010, 03:23 PM
State still is recruiting C.J. Leslie. But the smart money is on Kentucky.

Cothron committed to State before the fall signing date but did not sign. So, this is no shock.

This does not impact Lowe short-term. He's getting next year. But he will have to cobble together a decent 4/5 rotation from Smith, Howell, Painter and Vandenberg. Howell showed some real flashes this year, after missing mucho time following knee surgery. But Smith and Howell both operate in same terrain and both need the ball to be effective. Horner could stretch the floor. None of these guys can. Should be interesting.

And yes, State absolutely has to sign some size next year or 2012 could be grim, regardless of who's coaching.

wolfpackdevil
03-16-2010, 03:28 PM
YES!!!!!!

I think that this is a very good thing for the team that I love. All of the specualation going into the winter was that if C.J. Leslie signed with NC State, then Cothron was going somewhere else. And if Leslie went to Kentucky, then Luke would stay at State.

So maybe Luke knows something the rest of us don't know about C.J. The one thing I know about C.J. is that he has gone to more NC State games this year, than any other local recruit has gone before.

I am not going to be frustrated if Leslie goes to Kentucky, because Cothron did not show me much at all in the Glaxo this past winter. He is very undersized, and not a true big man at all.

Hopefully C.J. will stay in Raleigh, or else next year could definitly be Lowe's last run.