Carrick Felix - Yes I'm a blue devil

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?v=wall&ref=search&id=100000176885967

CrazieDUMB
03-16-2010, 08:56 AM
According to his Facebook page, he is!

Awesome!!!!!!!!

So excited, great choice Carrick! Can we stamp this as official?

nyr484
03-16-2010, 09:06 AM
Nice... I can't see his facebook page, but I will take your word for it... welcome to Duke!

Is this Carrick Felix?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqDpO8AG4rE

enick66
03-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Nice... I can't see his facebook page, but I will take your word for it... welcome to Duke!

Is this Carrick Felix?

Yes it is!

monkey
03-16-2010, 09:42 AM
According to his Facebook page, he is!

wooo hooo - welcome to Duke!

watzone
03-16-2010, 09:51 AM
It is official. Felix to Duke - http://bluedevilnation.net/

wilko
03-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Scout is confirming all official like...
His pic is up with the same line "I'm a Blue Devil"

Nevermind, I just got jinxed...

Welcome to Duke, Carrick!!

IBleedBlue
03-16-2010, 09:57 AM
Coach Nate James (a.k.a Nate Dawg) is on a roll now with all the slam dunks...

moonpie23
03-16-2010, 09:59 AM
AWESOME......welcome to duke sir !!!!

devildownunder
03-16-2010, 10:06 AM
So is he eligible for next season?

buckshot
03-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Can we get a thread name change? This is great news!

dukerev
03-16-2010, 10:10 AM
Sorry for the confusion on my part, but a quick question:
When will Felix be on the team (2010-11)? And when will he begin play (i.e. does he have to sit out a year)?

airowe
03-16-2010, 10:13 AM
When will Felix be on the team (2010-11)? And when will he begin play (i.e. does he have to sit out a year)?

He can play next Fall and will have 3 years of eligibility.

sagegrouse
03-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Checked out the athletics Web site to get more data on our coolest new cat, Felix.

The College of Southern Idaho has seven athletic teams, and two of them are in .... RODEO! Yup. There is a women's rodeo team at CSI.

sagegrouse

COYS
03-16-2010, 10:14 AM

No, he's coming from juco so he doesn't need to sit out.

And this is great news!

The class of 2009 will have been assembled in an odd way, but what a haul it has become: Mason, Ryan (the only two "normal" members of the class), 'Dre (who came a year early), Curry and Felix (who will join a year late).

miramar
03-16-2010, 10:18 AM
The class of 2009 will have been assembled in an odd way, but what a haul it has become: Mason, Ryan (the only two "normal" members of the class), 'Dre (who came a year early), Curry and Felix (who will join a year late).

And people thought that Coach K was too set in his (recruiting) ways!

IBleedBlue
03-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Not anointing him as the super star but for some fun -

Felix, the hunter. He hunts sheeps and goats for breakfast :)

OZZIE4DUKE
03-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Welcome Carrick!

Devil's Advocate
03-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Glad to have you on board.

Sorry if this has already been discussed and I missed it, but do we have any information on this guy from independent sources. I know his media exposure was quite limited before college. I'm wondering what people outside the Duke circle think about how good he is/can be. It sounds like he will fit Duke's needs very well. But, I'm curious what he looks like without royal blue tinted lenses.

duketaylor
03-16-2010, 10:48 AM
It'll be nice to have an athletic wing player at the 3 spot available next Fall. Way to go NateDogg!! Welcome, Mr. Felix!!

-bdbd
03-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Welcome to Duke Carrick!!!!!

Can't wait to see you in Royal Blue next year. You're gonna love it here!!

:D:D:D

-bdbd
03-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Not anointing him as the super star but for some fun -

Felix, the hunter. He hunts sheeps and goats for breakfast :)

How about "the cat." As is Felix the Cat.

CDu
03-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Yes and no. Obviously it is "awkward" to place a 6'10" kid at the three, or even the two, as that height should play well inside. HOWEVER, you are presuming that he puts on muscle and bulk in the next 6 months, and (more importantly I believe) adjusts his mindset towards focusing on interior play. That is NOT a given or easy shift, mentally, for someone who pretty clearly to date has preferred to float around outside, and rarely mix it up near the bucket. I really hope you are right. Really. But be wary of counting chickens that just haven't hatched yet. (What if he DOESN'T make transition well, then we really are stuck with 3 relatively unproven guys - incl a frosh - in total, to man the two interior positions???) This is why I've long hoped we'd bring in another front-court player this year, and why I suspect Nate was there in Idaho to, first, look at that 7-footer on Felix's team.

This is a kid who played defensively on the interior for his high school career. I don't think he has to "adjust" his mentality on interior play.

And on offense, he's going to remain a perimeter player. Duke has often preferred the perimeter-oriented 4 on offense, so that's not a change in mentality for him.

devildownunder
03-16-2010, 11:12 AM

thank you and good night.

stillcrazie
03-16-2010, 11:17 AM
Does anyone think this is any indication that the coaches think Kyle will be gone next year? I realize the offer has been out there for awhile, I am just looking for the dark lining to the silver cloud.

Eeyore

sagegrouse
03-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Does anyone think this is any indication that the coaches think Kyle will be gone next year? I realize the offer has been out there for awhile, I am just looking for the dark lining to the silver cloud.

Eeyore

I think the recruiting of Carrick is further indication that Coach K really likes long, mobile wing players, who can play almost any position. I suspect his perfect team would consist of five Grant Hills. (Duh.) Fact is, the ONLY one on the team who now fits that description is Kyle. Jon's the right size but is the point guard; Andre is not yet there, nor is Ryan.

Anyone else here think that Carrick will spend some time guarding Mr. Barnes from UNC?

sagegrouse

Duvall
03-16-2010, 11:33 AM

Eeyore

I wouldn't take this as any indication either way. Even if Kyle were to stay, he would still be a senior. Duke needs wings, even with the commitments of Gbinije and Felix.

miramar
03-16-2010, 11:55 AM

Eeyore

I agree that not necessarily. Nowadays, with the changes that can take place from one year to the next, I think you have to have a recruiting plan B and even a plan C. This year's team could have had Gerald Henderson, Elliot Williams, Olek Czyz, and Taylor King. Recently we were short Boateng, Boykin, and McRoberts.

In baseball they say you can't have too much pitching, and the same goes for today's college basketball recruiting. We're fortunate that next year's sophomore class would be a starting five for most schools in the country (Dawkins, Curry, Felix, Mason, and Kelly).

I think it's smart to load up to make sure we never get caught up in a Livingston-Humphries-Deng situation again. I still remember when DeMarcus was our entire junior and senior classes, and I'm sure nobody wants to go through that again.

DukieInBrasil
03-16-2010, 12:02 PM
"I think it's smart to load up to make sure we never get caught up in a Livingston-Humphries-Deng situation again. I still remember when DeMarcus was our entire junior and senior classes, and I'm sure nobody wants to go through that again."

100% agreement.

"I wouldn't take this as any indication either way. Even if Kyle were to stay, he would still be a senior. Duke needs wings, even with the commitments of Gbinije and Felix."

Just for clarification, Gbinije is a 2011 recruit so he won't be on campus with Kyle no matter what. But I agree, we need more wings. Both Curry and Dawkins are a bit short to play the typical wing/SF.

I'm glad that Carrick decided to come to Duke. Any word on FC's CSI buddy Ndiaye? Are we even offering him?

mgtr
03-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Great! We are on a roll, lets keep the good news coming!

DeBlueDevil
03-16-2010, 12:41 PM
Just wanted to state once again.....this is now two out of three things I said we need to have and then I believe next year will be Championship or bust.

1st was Nolan
Now here is the Athletic 3 that we need in Carrick

Now 1 is left.....Paging Mr.Singler....

Our team next year has:

Irving, Curry, Nolan, Felix, Thornton, Mason, Miles, Dawkins, Kelly, Hairston....need I say more. Can you imagine if Kyle comes back next year and we even add another BIG type player like Haynes....but if Kyle comes back that team will be a nightmare for any opponent and for me has championship written all over it. Great job by the coaching staff here.

ncexnyc
03-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Welcome aboard Carrick.

A very solid addition to what could be a very impressive team.

Duke of Nashville
03-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Just wanted to state once again.....this is now two out of three things I said we need to have and then I believe next year will be Championship or bust.

1st was Nolan
Now here is the Athletic 3 that we need in Carrick

Now 1 is left.....Paging Mr.Singler....

Our team next year has:

Irving, Curry, Nolan, Felix, Thornton, Mason, Miles, Dawkins, Kelly, Hairston....need I say more. Can you imagine if Kyle comes back next year and we even add another BIG type player like Haynes....but if Kyle comes back that team will be a nightmare for any opponent and for me has championship written all over it. Great job by the coaching staff here.

You know what is even better? We would be a National Championship Favorite with this kind of youth.

2 Senior
1 Junior
5 Soph
3 Freshman

OldPhiKap
03-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Welcome to the family, Carrick!

cbnaylor
03-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Welcome Felix....now it's time to shine on a bigger stage.

devildeac
03-16-2010, 01:48 PM
It'll be nice to have an athletic wing player at the 3 spot available next Fall. Way to go NateDogg!! Welcome, Mr. Felix!!

Good call yesterday, sir!;)

Saratoga2
03-16-2010, 01:58 PM
You know what is even better? We would be a National Championship Favorite with this kind of youth.

2 Senior
1 Junior
5 Soph
3 Freshman

We will be a very good team if Kyle stays, but, we need to replace a terrific point guard in Scheyer who is also a scorer, a true big man in Zoubek and an energetic defender in Thomas.

Singler and Smith would hit the ground running, however Mason and Miles will have to show substantial improvement to play effectively in the 4 & 5 positions. Add to that Kelly, who looks good but is not starting this year and Hairston, who is a freshman where a lot remains to be seen.

At point guard, Irving may be the second coming, but he is also a freshman trying to replace a very effective scoring point guard. Dawkins has shown his quality and I expect a big leap from him next year and Curry may be the dark horse of all the players. Experienced as he is and likely an effective scorer and possibly a good defender. I think the coaches can add light to that based on practice this year, but I don't expect much word from them until the summer. Thornton is an unknown, but possibly an effective sub at the point andnow we have Felix, who clearly is expected to play the 3.

I think the team has a lot of potential, but it is far from a national championship team. Coach K will have a lot of fun developing this team and determining the best strategy to use with these players. Set reaonable expectations and enjoy the ride.

CDu
03-16-2010, 02:07 PM
I think the team has a lot of potential, but it is far from a national championship team. Coach K will have a lot of fun developing this team and determining the best strategy to use with these players. Set reaonable expectations and enjoy the ride.

You have to consider what the other elite teams will be losing too, though. Kansas will in all likelihood lose its three best players. Kentucky will likely lose its three best players. Syracuse will likely lose its two leading scorers and its center. OSU will likely lose its NPoY. WVU will lose its best player. KSU will lose its PG and second leading scorer.

I agree that we'll have questions. But if Singler returns, we'll almost certainly be among the leading candidates next year, as all the other elite teams will lose key pieces as well. And with Smith and Singler (two good ballhandlers) returning and with having four extremely good shooters (Smith, Singler, Dawkins, and Curry), I think we'll have a strong case even if Irving and the Plumlees don't make the jump to impact players. And if they do, well, all the better.

flyingdutchdevil
03-16-2010, 02:11 PM
If Carrick is nimble, crafty, can jump out of the gym, and a little sly, is the nickname 'Felix the Cat' inevitable?

vango
03-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Great news. Welcome Felix!

It would be serendipitous to win another national championship in a year ending in a "1" - being that we've won the last two. Meant to be maybe.... :rolleyes:

ChicagoCrazy84
03-16-2010, 02:19 PM
I think it is pretty clear what Coach K wants with his team. Run, run, run!!!

With Kyrie, Nolan, Curry, Dawkins, Felix, and some athletic big men, we should have a very run n gun oriented team that should have no trouble getting open shots.

Can't wait to see em all in action!

PhillyDuke
03-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Cool!! As long as he can D-up HB!!!!!

CDu
03-16-2010, 02:27 PM
I think it is pretty clear what Coach K wants with his team. Run, run, run!!!

With Kyrie, Nolan, Curry, Dawkins, Felix, and some athletic big men, we should have a very run n gun oriented team that should have no trouble getting open shots.

Can't wait to see em all in action!

I think it's going to be amazing how different the style of play is next year. With the number of guards we'll have and the athleticism of our bigs, I can't imagine we'll play the same style as we have this year.

Now, of course, it remains to be seen if we'll be nearly as effective as we've been this year. But it's almost a guarantee that we'll have a much different tempo of play.

Greg_Newton
03-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Great news. I won't expect him to be a difference maker next year, but he's a big time athlete. I'm very glad we'll have him on the roster for the next three years, for several reasons.

I wish there was a little more video/scouting available for Carrick. From what I've seen, he looks like a player in the Shawn Marion mold... not the smoothest mover or ballhandler, but a wiry-strong guy with almost spastic fast-twitchy quickness who can knock down the open 3. Plus, he looks like he's got to have a 6'10ish wingspan - his fingers are basically at his knees here:

studdlee10
03-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Hard to tell what we have in Carrick Felix. What we do know is the kid has good size and athleticism. If he can come in and 5-10 solid minutes of tough D, making life hell and tiring out guys like HB, Aminu, Shumpert, etc...he will have done his part. I think Carrick is hard working and mature enough to handle that.

Reddevil
03-16-2010, 03:01 PM
I think it's going to be amazing how different the style of play is next year. With the number of guards we'll have and the athleticism of our bigs, I can't imagine we'll play the same style as we have this year.

Now, of course, it remains to be seen if we'll be nearly as effective as we've been this year. But it's almost a guarantee that we'll have a much different tempo of play.

You mean you can alter your style of play based on your personnel? Some one didn't get the memo. Woops, wrong thread. Welcome Mr. Felix. keep 'em comin' Nate!

fan345678
03-16-2010, 04:35 PM

Is this Carrick Felix?

Freeze this at the 17-second mark.

kyriecrazy2013
03-16-2010, 04:36 PM
Southern Idaho's Carrick Felix committed to Duke on March 16, 2010

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=2&c=954409&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http://duke.scout.com/2/954409.html

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Carrick-Felix-61849

Greg_Newton
03-16-2010, 04:46 PM
Freeze this at the 17-second mark.

:eek: :D

RockLobster
03-16-2010, 04:59 PM
To ask a stupid question - Felix will be able to play next season, right? Am I correct in assuming he doesn't have to take a year off because he's a JUCO transfer?

Merlindevildog91
03-16-2010, 05:00 PM
He can play right away, and has 3 years' eligibility left.

OldPhiKap
03-16-2010, 05:04 PM
He can play right away, and has 3 years' eligibility left.

If he can play right away, I hope he's on a plane to JAX.

InSpades
03-16-2010, 05:09 PM

If Kyle comes back it will be the best Duke team (on paper) since J-Will and Battier. It would be pre-season #1 without a doubt. The team would be stacked because it would still be good even if people didn't step up. If Kyrie isn't the next coming then we would still have Nolan and Seth to play point (not to mention another freshman PG). If the big men aren't quite ready to cover the 4 spot? No worries, Kyle is pretty comfortable over there. It is very exciting to think about... of course so is the upcoming NCAA tournament :). Great time to be a Duke basketball fan.

J_C_Steel
03-16-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm quite pleased with the report (on the front page of DBR) that Carrick Felix is an excellent student. He's going to get an education AND help out the basketball team. Good for him.

Also... SICK jumping ability on display there.

LSanders
03-16-2010, 07:55 PM

Is this Carrick Felix?

Not attempting to make a comparison or assign undue expectations ... But, I think it's interesting to compare the height and elevation of CF in the link above to his Airness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EfHnG-e-vE&feature=related

It would appear CF has some serious hops. Definitely an interesting addition!

phaedrus
03-16-2010, 08:34 PM
Just curious, when did we last pick up a juco player? Were we recruiting Felix before he opted for juco?

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-16-2010, 08:37 PM
K has never recruited a Juco player until now, and no we started recruiting Felix after Nate seen him play this season.

roywhite
03-16-2010, 08:40 PM
Just curious, when did we last pick up a juco player? Were we recruiting Felix before he opted for juco?

First Juco in the K era, but don't forget George Moses from the mid-70's.

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/statlines.php?playerid=270

Recruiting Felix before Juco? No, don't think so; this is a Nate James find; went out to scout Felix's CIS teammate, a big center, but came back raving about Carrick.

jimsumner
03-16-2010, 08:49 PM
K has recruited at least two other jucos before Felix, Rudy Archer and Brandon Jessie. Neither were offered. Archer, in particular, had serious academic issues and ended up flunking out of Maryland. But K did more than just kick the tires.

The Duke football program has had some recent jucos, Brian Sallee and Chris Sprague among them. Cut also has a juco tight end coming in this season.

So, it can be done.

bluepenguin
03-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Can he start playing now? ;)

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-16-2010, 09:19 PM
Can he start playing now? ;)

No, not this year.

bluepenguin
03-16-2010, 09:30 PM
No, not this year.

Winky face = being facetious; not serious

Deslok
03-16-2010, 10:23 PM
K has recruited at least two other jucos before Felix, Rudy Archer and Brandon Jessie. Neither were offered. Archer, in particular, had serious academic issues and ended up flunking out of Maryland. But K did more than just kick the tires.

The Duke football program has had some recent jucos, Brian Sallee and Chris Sprague among them. Cut also has a juco tight end coming in this season.

So, it can be done.

There was also Jerry Gee who ended up at Illinois in 95 or 96?

tbyers11
03-16-2010, 11:10 PM
There was also Jerry Gee who ended up at Illinois in 95 or 96?

Jerry Gee was a high schooler.

ElSid
03-16-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm pretty confident about Irving. Surprised to read the skepticism on the board. I guess it's fair to him. And fair to recognize that hype can fizzle. But, I've watched a lot of his high school games. Maybe three or four that were televised in the Northeast or on ESPN. He looks absolutely amazing. If his coach didn't play his sub-talented 5'9" son, Irving would have even more on his resume.

So...I think Irving will be a major contributor next year. If he stays more than two years. Wow. He is a perfect recruit...he wants to work harder than anyone else. He's bright. Articulate. Smart on the floor, not just athletic. If he comes in hot next year, I think we're right to imagine an amazing season.

Felix is a wild card but...I think he had interest across the nation at some big schools before an injury. I think he had trouble with his standardized tests. He took a year to improve himself. His dad is military, like Nate Dogg's. He's a good match on paper to HB...but, we should be careful about anointing him the foil to HB already. HB is disgusting. I don't think he'll be enough to lift the whole boat at UNC, but he'll go a long way.

I know much less about Thornton and Hairston.

Curry, according to insiders (aka my friend who pays for some premium site) is the best shooter on the team this season. In practice, mind you, but my god. Look at how good his brother is? And how good his dad was? He's going to be a quality player.

Felix fills the last hole.

Singler should come back...the only reason he might not is this nearly certain NBA lockout and the year of earning he would miss. I can't imagine thinking that way if it were me and I had a chance to come back and experience the team we're putting together next year.

BD80
03-16-2010, 11:13 PM

Jerry Gee was a man.

Deslok
03-16-2010, 11:56 PM

My bad, Brandon Jessie was the juco we were looking at and opted away from to concentrate on Gee.

Dukeface88
03-17-2010, 01:55 AM

I can tell you that Thornton's school is in the same district as Kendall Marshall's, and that Thonrton has owned that matchup regularly. I find it encouraging that a player who will probably be third on our depth chart is better than the guy who might start for the school down the road.

uh_no
03-17-2010, 03:00 AM
apologies if this has already been posted, but for the roster next year we should have

sr:
kyle Singler
NOlan Smith

Jr:
MIles Plumlee
Seth Curry

SO:
Mason Plumlee
Andre Dawkins
Ryan Kelly
Carrick Felix (sp)

FR:
Josh Hairston
Tyler Thornton
Kyrie Irving

now if i'm not mistaken, the team gets 13 scholarships.....since we don't have anyone sitting out a year (like this year) we should have 2 scholarships to spare...is it safe to assume casey and steve will have those scholarships?

Jim3k
03-17-2010, 03:02 AM
I believe Curry can be considered a red shirt soph. Not that it makes much difference.

Duke #33
03-17-2010, 03:35 AM
I believe Curry can be considered a red shirt soph. Not that it makes much difference.

It actually kinda does. Its the difference between having 2 years of eligibilty and having 3. I think he knows already, but to the casual reader not in the know, it is something important to know.

Classof06
03-17-2010, 03:39 AM
I was under the impression that Curry was indeed a redshirt sophomore and had 3 years of eligibility left. Is that not the case?

Great signing for the staff, by the way. Though I think it indicates that Singler may not be around too much longer. We shall see..

flyingdutchdevil
03-17-2010, 03:41 AM
I was under the impression that Curry was indeed a redshirt sophomore and had 3 years of eligibility left. Is that not the case?

That is the case. That gives us three years of Seth Curry and three years of Sonya Curry ;)

Indoor66
03-17-2010, 09:35 AM
I'm pretty confident about Irving. Surprised to read the skepticism on the board. I guess it's fair to him. And fair to recognize that hype can fizzle. But, I've watched a lot of his high school games. Maybe three or four that were televised in the Northeast or on ESPN. He looks absolutely amazing. If his coach didn't play his sub-talented 5'9" son, Irving would have even more on his resume.

So...I think Irving will be a major contributor next year. If he stays more than two years. Wow. He is a perfect recruit...he wants to work harder than anyone else. He's bright. Articulate. Smart on the floor, not just athletic. If he comes in hot next year, I think we're right to imagine an amazing season.

Felix is a wild card but...I think he had interest across the nation at some big schools before an injury. I think he had trouble with his standardized tests. He took a year to improve himself. His dad is military, like Nate Dogg's. He's a good match on paper to HB...but, we should be careful about anointing him the foil to HB already. HB is disgusting. I don't think he'll be enough to lift the whole boat at UNC, but he'll go a long way.

Curry, according to insiders (aka my friend who pays for some premium site) is the best shooter on the team this season. In practice, mind you, but my god. Look at how good his brother is? And how good his dad was? He's going to be a quality player.

Singler should come back...the only reason he might not is this nearly certain NBA lockout and the year of earning he would miss. I can't imagine thinking that way if it were me and I had a chance to come back and experience the team we're putting together next year.

Why should we annoint HB? We've seen highly rated recruits not work out. Just look at UNC this year!!!!! ;)

bluedevil2012
03-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Why should we annoint HB? We've seen highly rated recruits not work out. Just look at UNC this year!!!!! ;)

Not to be Debbie Downer, but unfortunately the same holds for Irving as well. Let's not consider anyone the second coming before they get to campus. Duke has had it's fair share of recruiting busts (just look at the 2005 class). College ball is a completely different environment from high school, and some players just are never able to fully adjust. That said, I'm cautiously optimistic about next years class.

Go Duke

airowe
03-17-2010, 11:40 AM

We don't need to anoint HB, he's already done that himself. He has hired security to work at the games he plays to keep autograph seeking kids away from him. True story.

Dukeface88
03-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Not to be Debbie Downer, but unfortunately the same holds for Irving as well. Let's not consider anyone the second coming before they get to campus. Duke has had it's fair share of recruiting busts (just look at the 2005 class). College ball is a completely different environment from high school, and some players just are never able to fully adjust. That said, I'm cautiously optimistic about next years class.

Go Duke

The difference is that if Kyrie has trouble adjusting or gets injured or whatever (knock on woodwe have alternatives. Nolan has played point, and Seth Curry apparently does in practice, plus we have Thornton coming in as well. If Barnes is a bust, UNC is stuck with Graves. We've seen how well that worked out for them this year.

DukieInBrasil
03-17-2010, 11:50 AM
If I am not mistaken, next year's team will be Coach K's first team with 2 transfers on it. He has taken transfers before (McLeod and Dhantay) but not 2 at a time. Just goes to show that he ain't no stubborn old goat...

jimsumner
03-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Technically speaking, Carrick Felix is not a transfer. He's graduating from a two-year junior college and matriculating at a four-year school. He can't do anything more at Southern Idaho. He's immediately eligible at Duke. As a transfer, Seth Curry had to sit out a season, as per NCAA rules regarding transfers.

And, for the record, I expect Kyrie Irving and Harrison Barnes to be impact freshmen.

Reddevil
03-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Try to put yourself in the shoes of this young man. What an amazing journey! This is a very unique situation, he finds himself in. Congratulations Mr. Felix, you have managed to position yourself in a way that will change your life forever. We all look forward to seeing you continue to grow in Prussian blue.

Classof06
03-17-2010, 01:04 PM
If I am not mistaken, next year's team will be Coach K's first team with 2 transfers on it. He has taken transfers before (McLeod and Dhantay) but not 2 at a time. Just goes to show that he ain't no stubborn old goat...

I think this is the thing that has a lot of Duke fans, including myself, pleasantly surprised.

Duke's 2010 class looks to be one of the stronger ones we've had in a while. A lot of people think it's "Irving and the rest,"; hell, a lot of people think it's just Irving. I think there are a lot of Duke fans that don't realize there will be five new faces on the roster next year, including Curry. This reminds me of the 2002 recruiting class (my year) with Redick, Shelden, Dockery, etc.

Duke is positioning itself for real long-term success with this incoming class. As a fan who has been concerned with Duke's recruiting in the past, I couldn't be happier right now. Kudos to the staff and keep up the good work.

PS - While the whole staff is responsible, this Felix signing particularly has Nate James' fingerprints all over it. A big shoutout to Mr. James.

Jim3k
03-17-2010, 02:33 PM
It actually kinda does. Its the difference between having 2 years of eligibilty and having 3. I think he knows already, but to the casual reader not in the know, it is something important to know.

Well, the reason I said that is not because of Seth's status as a RS soph, but because next year he will be an academic junior and the following year an academic senior. Thus we know we get two years of basketball from him.

The ultimate question will be whether we get three. If, after his academic senior/RS junior year, the NBA comes calling, we will not likely get that third year on the floor. He'd have his degree and an NBA offer. Why would he stay for the third, his RS senior year? (I know I'm being predictive based on his older brother's NBA success, and I know that really has little bearing on Seth's NBA capabilities, but genes are genes...and I think we need to be prepared for that eventuality.)

That's why I said it doesn't make much difference how he is categorized.

94duke
03-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Well, the reason I said that is not because of Seth's status as a RS soph, but because next year he will be an academic junior and the following year an academic senior. Thus we know we get two years of basketball from him.

The ultimate question will be whether we get three. If, after his academic senior/RS junior year, the NBA comes calling, we will not likely get that third year on the floor. He'd have his degree and an NBA offer. Why would he stay for the third, his RS senior year? (I know I'm being predictive based on his older brother's NBA success, and I know that really has little bearing on Seth's NBA capabilities, but genes are genes...and I think we need to be prepared for that eventuality.)

Grad school? :)

NYC Duke Fan
03-17-2010, 07:31 PM

You have given a perfect reason why Singler will not come back.

This might have been mentioned in a previous post, but is it possible that by recruiting Felix, Coach K knows that Singler will not be back.

pfrduke
03-17-2010, 07:33 PM
You have given a perfect reason why Singler will not come back.

This might have been mentioned in a previous post, but is it possible that by recruiting Felix, Coach K knows that Singler will not be back.

That's possible. It's also possible that he knows it's a possibility, and so is recruiting some insurance in case that happens. Or, it's possible that he thinks he found a kid who can help Duke over the next three years, regardless of whether Kyle is here next season or not, and decided to get him on board.

I don't think we can equate Felix arriving to any sort of guarantee that Singler will be departing. (Nor should we draw the opposite conclusion).

yancem
03-17-2010, 07:45 PM
That's possible. It's also possible that he knows it's a possibility, and so is recruiting some insurance in case that happens. Or, it's possible that he thinks he found a kid who can help Duke over the next three years, regardless of whether Kyle is here next season or not, and decided to get him on board.

I don't think we can equate Felix arriving to any sort of guarantee that Singler will be departing. (Nor should we draw the opposite conclusion).

Another possibility that I have been pondering the last week or so, is K knows that next year may be the best opportunity to win a national championship he has had in several years and he isn't taking any chances. He knows that with the loss of Thomas and Z that he may have to play Singler more at the 4 next year. This will depend partly on how the Plumlee's and Kelly develop over the summer. He also knows that unc will have two talented and athletic wings in Barnes and Bullock that could give a match up nightmare at the 3. Felix gives Duke a lot more line up flexibility and fills the most glaring potential weakness for next season.

Dukeface88
03-17-2010, 07:49 PM

I think the concern is for 2011. Until this past week, we had no true 3 for that team. Landing Gbinjie helped, but relying solely on a single freshman isn't the greatest plan. The commitment from Felix shores up a need that was going to be there regardless of when Kyle leaves.

pfrduke
03-17-2010, 07:56 PM
I think the concern is for 2011. Until this past week, we had no true 3 for that team. Landing Gbinjie helped, but relying solely on a single freshman isn't the greatest plan. The commitment from Felix shores up a need that was going to be there regardless of when Kyle leaves.

You mean the 2011-2012 team? I mostly agree, although Dawkins will likely get a healthy number of minutes as the third perimeter player alongside two smaller guards.

Bluedevil114
03-17-2010, 08:07 PM
How about the reason we added Felix is so we can alter our recruiting strategy and style of our game. We were torn up earlier in the year as being not athletic and maybe with the addition of Nate James on the recruiting trail he may have been hearing the reason why recruits do not want to come to Duke is the style of play. Not enough run and gun. We are looking to add some more athleticism to go with Kyrie and this may add additional recruits that are looking to go to UNC/Kentucky/Kansas because of style of play. Just a thought.

Dukeface88
03-17-2010, 08:08 PM
You mean the 2011-2012 team? I mostly agree, although Dawkins will likely get a healthy number of minutes as the third perimeter player alongside two smaller guards.

Yes. I think Dawkin's position for 2011 will depend largely on whether we get Rivers. If we don't, then I think he would be needed at the 2 since we'd only have Seth (and because I think the 2 is his natural position), so he might not be available for play at the 3.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-18-2010, 02:40 AM
Espn compared him to Gerald henderson and Danhtay Jones,

Duke #33
03-18-2010, 02:48 AM

I see what you are saying, but for our purposes(basketball) i just think it makes more sense to classify him by his basketball eligibility rather than his academic grade.

jpfrizzle
03-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Welcome to Blue Devil Country, Felix! ! ! !

MChambers
03-21-2010, 04:10 PM
Mike Wise in today's Post suggests that Duke's signing of Felix shows the deterioration of college basketball:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/20/AR2010032002908.html

"In perhaps a sad nod to the world Coach Cal has mastered, Mike Krzyzewski last week received an oral commitment from a kid from the College of Southern Idaho. That's the first time Duke deigned to actively recruit a junior college player."

If you, like me, think this is an unfair characterization, and suggests that Mr. Wise didn't do his homework, please politely let Mr. Wise know, at wisem@washpost.com

Duke4life92
03-21-2010, 05:19 PM
"In perhaps a sad nod to the world Coach Cal has mastered, Mike Krzyzewski last week received an oral commitment from a kid from the College of Southern Idaho. That's the first time Duke deigned to actively recruit a junior college player."

That shot at coach k really made no sense,utterly useless to his article,unreal:eek:

BD80
03-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Mike Wise in today's Post suggests that Duke's signing of Felix shows the deterioration of college basketball:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/20/AR2010032002908.html

If you, like me, think this is an unfair characterization, and suggests that Mr. Wise didn't do his homework, please politely let Mr. Wise know, at wisem@washpost.com

My reply:

Mr Wise

You dribbled one off of your foot.

In your recent article: "Maryland Coach Gary Williams, Michigan State Coach Tom Izzo continue to run their programs the right way" you accuse Duke of lowering its standards:

You equate such a move to the "sleaze" that is Calipari and his "rented" players:

"Like the criminal defense attorney who knows his client is guilty, doing your job can supersede doing what's right to have your school's name called on Selection Sunday. Like the criminal defense attorney who knows his client is guilty, doing your job can supersede doing what's right to have your school's name called on Selection Sunday."

You really should check your facts before publication, or is that a luxury that WaPo slashed to keep gifted "columnists" such as you?

Carrick Felix is a JUCO student who will have three years of eligibility at Duke and will be able to earn a degree from Duke in that time. He is a kid that has made great strides academically to qualify for a school like Duke. Felix is also one of those great "old school" players that plays defense and doesn't care about scoring as long as he helps the team.

Carrick Felix is EXACTLY the kind of kid you applaud Coaches Williams and Izzo for using. Please do some research and get it right. An apology to Coach K will be beneficial to your reputation - if you care - for accuracy.

An apology to Carrick Felix is the right thing to do as a person - you know, the kind of thing you think Coaches Williams and Izzo would do.

BD80
03-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Mr Wise responded:

Bob, I appreciate your feedback. Thank you for reading. I find it unfortunate that you have used a factual sentence -- used to bolster my point of coaches procuring players in myriad ways -- to say I've wronged the kid. Coach K has never actively recruited a jc player before. Period. End of story. Now go root on a very good basketball team and transfer the angst felt over a line that mentioned your alma mater into constructive passion. Also, where is my thank you email for all the wonderful things written about Duke over the years? I'm still waiting.
Mike

and so did I:

Mike

Thank you for responding. That takes some of the wind out of my indignation. I do owe you thanks for past kind words about Coach K and Duke.

However, you can't pretend that, in context, your use of the phrase: "In perhaps a sad nod to the world Coach Cal has mastered," paints Felix's recruitment with the same brush as Coach Cal, which is the counterpoint to Coaches Williams and Izzo doing it "the right way."

Carrick's is a very good story, one I think belongs on the "right way" side of the ledger. Your article makes it appear to be the opposite. You are too good with words to claim that the comparison was unintended.

I would think a writer would prefer to be accused of using bad facts rather than using poor writing skills.

Words are powerful. Try "apologize" in your next article. Carrick deserves it.

Bob

(Back to the game!)

jimsumner
03-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Perhaps he doesn't understand the word "deigned."

roywhite
03-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the exchange, BD.

Don't see how Mr. Wise can talk about Gary Williams running his program the "right way" and square that with the abysmal graduation numbers of Maryland basketball.

The Terps have perhaps improved in the last year or two, but have been as low as the absolute bottom of D-1 basketball schools. (320 out of 320 if I recall..)

JaMarcus Russell
03-21-2010, 08:40 PM
Is Wise just blatantly ignoring the abysmal graduation rates of Maryland?

MChambers
03-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Is Wise just blatantly ignoring the abysmal graduation rates of Maryland?

Send him an e-mail! (I love the Internet.)

chrisheery
03-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Right. One of the best players in Maryland's history, Steve Francis, was a Juco player who was not a good student. Pretty sure he didn't graduate either.

Just a really really dumb article.

BD80
03-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Wise wants the last word. My email:

Mike

... you can't pretend that, in context, your use of the phrase: "In perhaps a sad nod to the world Coach Cal has mastered," paints Felix's recruitment with the same brush as Coach Cal, which is the counterpoint to Coaches Williams and Izzo doing it "the right way."

Carrick's is a very good story, one I think belongs on the "right way" side of the ledger. Your article makes it appear to be the opposite. You are too good with words to claim that the comparison was unintended.

I would think a writer would prefer to be accused of using bad facts rather than using poor writing skills.

Wise's response:

Note the use of "perhaps" a nod. That means maybe. I never lumped your beloved coach in with crooks. I stated a fact to support a thesis you don't agree with, that Coach K has expanded his net to remain competitive in an unseemly world. And opinions are like belly buttons; everyone's got one. I'm sorry you don't agree with mine.

airowe
03-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Wise wants the last word. My email:

Wise's response:

How is:

In perhaps a sad nod to the world Coach Cal has mastered

a "fact"?!? :confused:

nyr484
03-22-2010, 05:25 PM
"Note the use of "perhaps" a nod. That means maybe . . . ."

His response email is true. "perhaps" does indeed indicate "maybe". But, one would think that a columnist wouldn't have to rely on "perhaps" when the *facts* are readily available.

Perhaps Mike Wise is a pedophile. Perhaps not. I don't know because I don't care to do my homework.

BD80
03-22-2010, 05:28 PM
"Note the use of "perhaps" a nod. That means maybe . . . ."

His response email is true. "perhaps" does indeed indicate "maybe". But, one would think that a columnist wouldn't have to rely on "perhaps" when the *facts* are readily available.

Perhaps Mike Wise is a pedophile. Perhaps not. I don't know because I don't care to do my homework.

I guess one person's sloppy journalism is another person's bellybutton, I mean opinion :D

Starter
03-22-2010, 05:35 PM
I guess one person's sloppy journalism is another person's bellybutton, I mean opinion :D

Just an irresponsible article on Mr. Wise's part, and he's too stubborn to admit to you that his point is terrible. It kind of reminds me of when Bill Simmons in a chat recently compared Tiger Woods to Muhammad Ali, someone called him on it, and he responded by writing a 5,000-word manifesto on that same horribly flawed point that further dug himself into the ground.

I didn't go to a junior college, but if I had, I'd be pretty disappointed in Wise's opinions here. And to make Gary Williams and Maryland a paragon of basketball virtue? Next he's going to tell me their fan base are magnificent human beings.

chrisheery
03-22-2010, 06:24 PM
The funniest part of his response is that he did not identify what his opinion (or thesis) was. If he had, it would be clear that he was either, 1. using a "fact" out of context to make a point that he couldn't make otherwise, 2. an idiot.

Love the email exchange. Thanks for fighting the good fight.

jipops
03-22-2010, 06:54 PM
Bring this back up to Wise 3 years from now when Felix is earning his degree. This may be best served on a cold plate.

pfrduke
03-22-2010, 07:48 PM
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but Gary Williams has recruited several juco players. At least Bambale Osby, Jamar Smith, and Steve Francis (I think).

El_Diablo
03-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but Gary Williams has recruited several juco players. At least Bambale Osby, Jamar Smith, and Steve Francis (I think).

The logic is amazingly horrible. On many levels.

JohnGalt
03-22-2010, 08:15 PM
He used the belly button/opinion shtick in his response to my e-mail, as well. Anyone who puts such an emphasis on Gary as the embodiment of all that is good in college basketball isn't worth the amount of attention already given. He's hopeless.

MChambers
03-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Having started this sub-thread, I also e-mailed Mr. Wise, pointing out that he hadn't really done his research on Felix. I got a response late last night (just before midnight) similar to what BD80 got, arguing that (1) Felix as a JC recruit was a fact and (2) the rest was "opinion". Also pointing to the word "perhaps".

I wrote back at 7:15 a.m. today, pointing that the inference was that K had somehow dipped into improprieties. To his credit, Wise immediately responded, and thanked me for the interesting discourse. Never admitted he was wrong, unfortunately, but he was polite and moderately thoughtful. On balance, I still think that paragraph was dumb, but he did listen and respond.

theAlaskanBear
03-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Having started this sub-thread, I also e-mailed Mr. Wise, pointing out that he hadn't really done his research on Felix. I got a response late last night (just before midnight) similar to what BD80 got, arguing that (1) Felix as a JC recruit was a fact and (2) the rest was "opinion". Also pointing to the word "perhaps".

I wrote back at 7:15 a.m. today, pointing that the inference was that K had somehow dipped into improprieties. To his credit, Wise immediately responded, and thanked me for the interesting discourse. Never admitted he was wrong, unfortunately, but he was polite and moderately thoughtful. On balance, I still think that paragraph was dumb, but he did listen and respond.

Did anyone mention that Carrick has 3-years of eligibility, meaning: enough time to get a degree? And that his teammate Aziz is not being considered because he only has two?

MChambers
03-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Did anyone mention that Carrick has 3-years of eligibility, meaning: enough time to get a degree? And that his teammate Aziz is not being considered because he only has two?

I mentioned the former. Feel free to write Mr. Wise and let him know the latter. I also didn't bother getting into how odd it was to praise Gary Williams in the same article, just because I was tired.

roywhite
03-22-2010, 10:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh_MQuH62Jc

What better place to put some Carrick Felix highlights.

We knew/have heard that he is an explosive run/jump athlete and that certainly shows here. He also has shooting range, makes a number of hustle plays, and can finish well around the basket.

He's going to challenge for playing time, and could well be a crowd favorite.

FireOgilvie
03-22-2010, 11:45 PM

We knew/have heard that he is an explosive run/jump athlete and that certainly shows here. He also has shooting range, makes a number of hustle plays, and can finish well around the basket.

He's definitely a great athlete. If he can become a good defender, we'll see a lot of him. He should probably start working on the mid-range game as well. He doesn't need to be an all-around star to get playing time.

Greg_Newton
03-22-2010, 11:49 PM

Nice! About time some highlights surfaced for Carrick.

The more I see, the more he reminds me of Shawn Marion. The Dahntay/G comparisons are inevitable, but he looks a lot longer than either of them.

(P.S. The dunk at 2:49 is nuts...)

Greg_Newton
03-23-2010, 01:40 AM
I didn't realize CSI was the nation's winningest juco program? (http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/OdeenDomingo/76342) Also says Carrick averaged 15 and 6 this year and shot 33% from 3. And he averaged 16 and 13 as a HS senior while leading his team to the 4A-1 state title.

I'm not sure if this has been posted (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=104703&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d104 703), but ESPN has updated their scouting report and now rates Carrick a 92. You need to be an insider to read more than the snippet, which says he was a "major sleeper" in HS who has since added some much needed muscle.

DukieInBrasil
03-23-2010, 07:16 AM

The more I see, the more he reminds me of Shawn Marion. The Dahntay/G comparisons are inevitable, but he looks a lot longer than either of them.

Perhaps he looks longer than G because he is 2" taller?

Felix has a great story and I am glad that Nate and K went out of their normal recruiting trails to find him, cuz we'll need someone of his size/skill next year and beyond. I don't really get why people think he'll play the 4, as he he pretty undersized for that at 6'6. If he were bulky, playing the 4 might make more sense, however, with his quickness and lighter-than-Dhantay frame, I don't see the 4 making much sense for Felix. Dhantay didn't play the 4 and DJ was heftier than Felix is now. CF could add some muscle and weight to his frame before next year, but he certainly doesn't need to nor does Duke need him to change his physique for him to be effective for the team.

on a totally unrelated note, I periodically look at Stephen Curry's stats for GSW and I'm starting to drool over the prospects of seeing Seth play next year for us. I know that just b/c they're brothers doesn't mean anything, but Seth has already shown that he's got skills and was underappreciated coming out of HS, just as Stephen was. The pedigree is strong and the apple doesn't fall far from the (NBA family) tree. Having Seth, Andre, Nolan and Felix all available to play in the backcourt next year is gonna be fun!!!

flyingdutchdevil
03-23-2010, 07:31 AM

Even with MP1, MP2, Kyrie, Nolan, and Andre, Felix looks to be the most athletically talented player next year. I mean, those dunks and blocks are absolutely absurd! I'm guessing that he's pretty raw, so it will be exciting to watch him develop over 3 years.

Also, always good to see Duke basketball players being fashionable. Gotta love those skinny jeans!

DeBlueDevil
03-23-2010, 08:36 AM
This kid...is going to have highlight reels for days playing next to the elite talent he will be next year....I love love love love love love what we are doing this year and I am very focused on a possibility of a national championship....but I haven't had this kind of feeling about the next year with a recruiting class in a while...I can't say enough about the way our coaching staff has recruited this year. I am absolutely pleased...can not wait for friday and the future to come

Indoor66
03-23-2010, 08:53 AM
I don't care about highlight reels. I hope he can contribute to an experienced team next year.

DukeDevil
03-23-2010, 09:15 AM

Is this Carrick Felix?

So long as this isn't him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGb6lP4FVeg&feature=related

Although I bet he has some sick moves in that magic bag.

I can't be the only one to have thought of this. Thank my upbringing abroad with very old american cartoons translated into arabic in the 80s

Devilsfan
03-23-2010, 09:16 AM
I hope he excels on the court. Give me a Scheyer, Singler, or Smith type who can play and I'll be happy. Now if he's extremely athletic and has those on court talents, instincts and awareness, all the better. Maybe he can be the seond person dunking over Lebron that Nike has to hide all the videos.

DukeDevil
03-23-2010, 09:28 AM
I don't care about highlight reels. I hope he can contribute to an experienced team next year.

I agree about the highlight reels. I feel like they are a very poor representation of what someone can do. I'm far more impressed with his being the first JUCO. The coaches obviously saw something very special that could (hopefully) contribute very quickly.

I have to say, I've been frustrated over the past 5 years with recruiting, or rather feeling like we've been beaten out, etc. for players. Which is strange, because I look back on the past 5 years and see so much talent that I'm not sure where that feeling comes from. That being said, I feel like we have an edge back now. Go Duke!

flyingdutchdevil
03-23-2010, 09:38 AM
I agree about the highlight reels. I feel like they are a very poor representation of what someone can do. I'm far more impressed with his being the first JUCO. The coaches obviously saw something very special that could (hopefully) contribute very quickly.

While I agree that highlight reels are a huge misrepresentation of the player, they do provide fans with the following:
a) Hype and excitement over a player
b) Understand a few of the strengths and weaknesses of a player (ie if a highlight reel shows dunks rather than 3pt shots, you can assume that he is more of a driver / slasher than a 3pt specialist. There are exceptions, but I find this to the rule rather than the exception)
c) Understand athleticism.

Kyrie Irving highlight reels are a great example of this - they show him driving, dishing, and shooting the 3pt shot, which is all consistent with how recruiting specialists are labeling him: the most complete offensive guard in the class.

From these highlight reels, I've gathered the following:
a) Felix is phenomenally athletic
b) He really likes to dunk
c) His athleticism allows him to block from the weak side pretty effectively

That's basically what he can tell from this video. And based on those three facts, I already like him :p

Duke of Nashville
03-23-2010, 10:01 AM
What I grabbed from the video:

Great Timing
Helpside Defense Looks Good
Blocked Shots Around the Rim are Staying in Bounds

Didn't have to dribble very much
Jumped at three point shooters

JohnGalt
03-23-2010, 10:02 AM
From these highlight reels, I've gathered the following:
a) Felix is phenomenally athletic
b) He really likes to dunk
c) His athleticism allows him to block from the weak side pretty effectively

That's basically what he can tell from this video. And based on those three facts, I already like him :p

Great points...all should translate to the perfect foil for Prince Harry...or so I shall hope...

Cockabeau
03-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Just think how funny and amusing it would be if

Carrick turns out to be a better player than Harrison.

Duvall
03-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Great points...all should translate to the perfect foil for Prince Harry...or so I shall hope...

Can we stop this now? I don't think we're doing Felix any favors by putting absurd expectations on him. Anything we get from him early on will be a bonus.

JohnGalt
03-23-2010, 10:21 AM

Impossible. Carolina is a top 10 program next year. Look at the recruits they've got coming in!

.......right?

roywhite
03-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Can we stop this now? I don't think we're doing Felix any favors by putting absurd expectations on him. Anything we get from him early on will be a bonus.

Oh, no, the expectations police have arrived. :eek:

Stop this having fun....and stop it right away.

JohnGalt
03-23-2010, 10:24 AM

Nobody's putting absurd expectations on him. My only hope is that he'll be able to provide some valuable defensive minutes which is what I meant by labeling him a foil. I think the offense will come from elsewhere.

Kedsy
03-23-2010, 10:38 AM

Personally, I'm just hoping he turns out to be a better player than Olek. Especially on the defensive end. If he all he can do is guard HB effectively he will be a very valuable player for Duke.

Cockabeau
03-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Just by casually looking at the youtube highlights...Carrick is more Dahntay than Olek.

Whatever IT is.This kid has IT.

flyingdutchdevil
03-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Has K ever recruited a player to specifically counter another team's recruit? I find it really hard to believe that one reason that Felix was recruited was to "guard HB effectively."

I don't buy that. Felix is a "need" next year, even if Singler stays. He will provide us with a potentially solid back-up behind Singler.

SupaDave
03-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Yes, let's kill the "HB" stopper talk. Chances are we'll have a FEW folks that can do that next year. Not only that but Carrick has more game experience (college) and will essentially still be up against a frosh in HB - who will have a lot to learn (as he would have at Duke). Next year's Duke team will still have a good deal of experience and no one player will be able to bring that down - especially considering what our on the ball pressure should look like next year.

COYS
03-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Has K ever recruited a player to specifically counter another team's recruit? I find it really hard to believe that one reason that Felix was recruited was to "guard HB effectively."

I don't buy that. Felix is a "need" next year, even if Singler stays. He will provide us with a potentially solid back-up behind Singler.

Yes, not only that, but HB will be gone after one year, most likely. Somehow I don't think Coach K (and definitely Felix) would be excited about the prospect of signing up to play defense against a specific player in two (possibly three or at most four) games next year with two years of eligibility remaining and no HB to guard.

Felix will add yet another dimension to our team next year, regardless of whether Singler stays or not. Personally, I don't think HB had anything to do with the staff recruiting Felix beyond HB's decision not to come to Duke (and thus leaving room for another wing player).

DukeFanSince1990
03-23-2010, 11:38 AM

I dont think that's why he recruited CF either. I think Nate James noticed the talent, let coach know about it and he said something like "yeah, a 6'6'' athlete who likes to play D, makes good grades, lets take a look."

And it never hurts to have a guy with go and hops like that running next to Kyrie, Seth or Nolan on a fast break, especially if he just caused a turnover for the other team...

jimsumner
03-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Give me access to the relevant footage and enough technical know-how and I could make a highlight reel of Marty Pocius that would make him look like a more athletic Jerry West.

DevilHorns
03-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Felix may become something special. At this point, I would be pleased for him to become a valuable role player. But, given what I've read/seen about him, he may blossom into a stud. Remember guys, not everyone has to go the traditional McD's All-American route to become a star college player. This kid may just be a late bloomer.

Also, a year at the JUCO level puts him, IMO, at a better ACC-ready state than what could be accomplished at most high school prep teams. I think it's ok to hope for the best.

(Remember, we're just fans--- Its not like what we write here some how magically adds pressure to Felix's head and makes him more stressed, and even if it does, who knows, he may be a kid who likes that sort of stress)

Kedsy
03-23-2010, 12:45 PM

I never said that's why he was recruited (and I don't think it was). I said I'd be happy if that's all he could do (and I will). And when I said "HB," I wasn't intending to say "only HB," but rather "players like HB." If Kyle isn't here next year, we will potentially have a problem guarding big (6'6" to 6'9") wing players (like Kyle or HB). If Felix is ready defensively to help with that issue, he's a valuable recruit.

Beyond that, I don't think we should expect too much. Yes, he appears to be athletic, but comparisons to Dahntay Jones are off-base, in my opinion. Dahntay scored 16.0 ppg and 4.6 rpg in the Big East the year before he transferred, while Carrick has similar numbers for a junior college team. With the stacked roster Duke has next year, he'll likely be 5th or 6th in the perimeter rotation and/or 4th or 5th in the interior rotation. Put another way, if Kyle stays Carrick will likely be our 10th (or even 11th) man next season and it will be surprising to see him get as many as 10 minutes per game.

At the moment I'm talking about next year only; I do hope he's valuable in many areas in 2011-12 and 2012-13, although who knows if it will turn out that way even then?

BD80
03-23-2010, 01:21 PM

I would say there is a good chance that Carrick scores more points for Duke than HB scores for carolina in the 2011-2012 season.

And a VERY good chance that he scores more points for Duke than HB scores for carolina in the 2012-2013 season

DUKIECB
03-23-2010, 01:53 PM
And a VERY good chance that he scores more points for Duke than HB scores for carolina in the 2012-2013 season

Is this because you think Mr. Barnes will be earning a paycheck by then?

BD80
03-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Is this because you think Mr. Barnes will be earning a paycheck by then?

And thus perhaps the less important/valuable recruit!

It may be wishful thinking, but frankly it is already more thought than I want to expend on a player who chooses carolina.

I really like the thought of adding an athletic young man who is two years out of high school and who is developing and improving. Kind of the opposite of Taylor King, who was highly recruited but didn't develop much after junior high.

Bob Knight was interviewed today and said the reasons the mid-major schools are doing so well in the tournament are: 1) they don't lose players to the NBA early, and thus can have experienced teams, and 2) they get kids who may be less heavily recruited but who may work harder to improve and become better than the heavily recruited kids.

I would add that some kids continue to mature after the national signing day in their junior year in high school and can "slip under the recruiting radar."

I won't annoint Carrick as the next [fill in a popular ex-Duke player here], but it will be interesting to see him develop at Duke.

WELCOME CARRICK!

Cockabeau
03-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Of course no one on here is expecting Grant Hill from day one.

But I will liken him to Bryon Mouton from day one depending on what Kyle does.
Blocking shots, knocking passes away, finishing garbage, lock down defender.

Again depends on what Kyle does.

dukelifer
03-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Give me access to the relevant footage and enough technical know-how and I could make a highlight reel of Marty Pocius that would make him look like a more athletic Jerry West.

I am pretty sure Felix has never missed shot- those videos never lie.

rotogod00
03-26-2010, 09:43 AM
Didn't see this posted anywhere, but here's Meyer's (Rivals) take on Felix to Duke:

Q: With the acquisition of Carrick Felix to the 2010 recruiting class for the Blue Devils, does it change their team recruiting ranking? How do you think he will fit in next year, and what kind of career do you see him having as a Blue Devil?

A: Adding Felix, an athletic 6-foot-5 swing man out of the junior college ranks, might push Duke's class up one spot to No. 6 and ahead of Michigan State. But that isn't necessarily a certainty; it is a very tough call between the Duke and Michigan State classes.

Felix's versatility and athleticism should secure him a role as a multi-positional defensive stopper for the Blue Devils. Offensively he will make some plays as a slasher, but I don't foresee him being a big offensive producer.

Billy Dat
01-27-2013, 02:21 PM
For those interested, Carrick Felix is having a nice season at ASU. I watched him play last night and was impressed. Andy Katz named him his player of the week:
http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/notebookweeklywatch130127/pick-n-roll

loran16
01-27-2013, 04:15 PM
For those interested, Carrick Felix is having a nice season at ASU. I watched him play last night and was impressed. Andy Katz named him his player of the week:

Really good season. Extremely efficient, good block and steal rates, solid defensive rebounding #s and even shooting 36% from 3. Pretty impressive.

westwall
01-27-2013, 04:27 PM
For those who may not remember, Carrick Felix was apparently a Duke commit several years ago, and then wasn't. He ended up at Arizona State where he is now a senior. Felix is having a very good year, averaging 15.5 ppg and 8.2 rpg (most on the team) along with numerous blocks and steals. He scored 23 points with 11 rebounds in ASU's big win over UCLA (and Muhammad) on Saturday. He could have been very useful in a Duke uniform the past several years.

miramar
01-27-2013, 04:51 PM
Felix seems to have improved significantly every year, with his shooting percentage increasing from 39.1% to 42.1% to this year's 53.5%. There was some speculation that Felix was concerned that he wouldn't have much playing time when Singler came back for his senior season, but he certainly would have had plenty of opportunities at Duke the last two years.

No matter what, Felix seems to be doing very well at ASU, so everything has worked out for him. In fact, on Saturday he won the One Who Got Away battle with Tony Parker 23-0. It's not a good sign for Parker when his shutout games (seven) far outweigh the ones in double figures (one), but maybe we can all chip in and buy him a Gucci backpack so that he can start feeling that he's part of the UCLA team.

airowe
01-27-2013, 04:52 PM
For those who may not remember, Carrick Felix was apparently a Duke commit several years ago, and then wasn't. He ended up at Arizona State where he is now a senior. Felix is having a very good year, averaging 15.5 ppg and 8.2 rpg (most on the team) along with numerous blocks and steals. He scored 23 points with 11 rebounds in ASU's big win over UCLA (and Muhammad) on Saturday. He could have been very useful in a Duke uniform the past several years.

He's played real well this year. Wish he could've cleared academically.

Azdukefan
01-27-2013, 05:07 PM

I was at the game last night against UCLA and actually got put on the "jumbotron" (though it is not that jumbo). Of course I popped my Duke sweatshirt and got the boos of both ASU and UCLA fans :) I made mention to a number of folks that had he went to Duke, he would have been a first round pick in this year's draft (and may end up being anyway).

It was fun to watch all the guys I watched (in person) at 82-50 take another pounding. Oh yeah and there was some guy that was running around setting screens but didnt rebound or play much at all (I see you Tony Parker).

Cameron
01-27-2013, 07:07 PM
I wonder if Carrick realizes that he was given the wrong directions to Duke. You would think he would have been tipped off by the cactuses.

lotusland
01-27-2013, 09:52 PM
He's played real well this year. Wish he could've cleared academically.

Well I think it may have been vaguely implied that he didn't qualify academically but I think this is the first time I've seen it stated outright. If I remember correctly Felix was supposed to be our HB stopper when all else failed and we assumed Kyle would leave after his Junior year. Of course after Kyle announced he would return, losing Felix seemed much less important. He might have helped some last year with our wing size and defense deficiencies though but I suspect we would have played AR, Curry and Thornton/Cook with Dre off the bench and only a sprinkling of Felix.

Newton_14
01-27-2013, 10:12 PM
Well I think it may have been vaguely implied that he didn't qualify academically but I think this is the first time I've seen it stated outright. If I remember correctly Felix was supposed to be our HB stopper when all else failed and we assumed Kyle would leave after his Junior year. Of course after Kyle announced he would return, losing Felix seemed much less important. He might have helped some last year with our wing size and defense deficiencies though but I suspect we would have played AR, Curry and Thornton/Cook with Dre off the bench and only a sprinkling of Felix.

Just an FYI, if Airowe did not have it on good authority, he would not have posted it. And given how the situation played out at the time, it fits. I hate it, as he could have helped Duke for sure, but glad to see Felix playing well and apparently performing well academically. Duke is a tough school to get into, and not every kid can get in. (And in my view, just because a kid is denied admission to Duke, doesn't necessarily mean they could not have made it once in.)

I think he would have been a great fit on the court though, for sure.

UrinalCake
01-28-2013, 07:56 AM
He sounds kind of similar to gbinije

Cameron
01-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Just an FYI, if Airowe did not have it on good authority, he would not have posted it. And given how the situation played out at the time, it fits. I hate it, as he could have helped Duke for sure, but glad to see Felix playing well and apparently performing well academically. Duke is a tough school to get into, and not every kid can get in. (And in my view, just because a kid is denied admission to Duke, doesn't necessarily mean they could not have made it once in.)

I don't think Lotusland was questioning Airowe's knowledge. I was also very surprised to read that about Felix. It's the first I've ever heard of any academic angle playing a role in Felix not coming to Duke. I just assumed that he decided that, with Kyle and Ryan and Andre ahead of him, he'd play very little at Duke his first year, which likely would have been the case, and decided to go elsewhere.

I have no idea, though, and will let those more attuned to the situation tell the story.

MCFinARL
01-28-2013, 08:39 AM

This is clearly true, as it is at all selective schools--for everyone, presumably including athletes. Of course, to the extent that even athletes who are granted admission may have less sterling academic records than non-athletes, it becomes a little trickier, because the demands on their time are extreme and the challenges they face to succeed academically are also large. It's probably better for the athlete who doesn't clear academically to find a place that's a better overall fit instead of coming to a place where he will have to give his all to earn playing time and give it again to remain academically eligible.

SoCalDukeFan
01-28-2013, 11:12 PM
Carrick has graduated from ASU and is now in a Master's Program.

http://www.thesundevils.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/carrick_felix_731447.html

SoCal

airowe
01-29-2013, 12:17 AM
Felix has clearly applied himself both on the court and off it. He deserves every accolade he's gotten. Very happy to see him succeed like he has.