PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Stats!!

GODUKEGO
03-16-2010, 11:20 AM
We are the 133rd best field goal shooting team in the country at 44.2%. During the ACC tournament on a neutral court, we shot 40.1%. Our three point field goal percentage is 38.5% ranking us tied for 24th with Syracuse. Our free throw percentage of 75.9% ranks us 9th. Rebounding, we are ranked 22nd with 39.3 per game (thanks ZOUB). Ranked 133 in shooting but ranked #3 in the polls, gets you wondering. Why is this, great coaching, tremendous defense, the high percentage from three, rebounding and making our free throws. If this team in the next six games gets hot from the field, this could be really really fun.

Skitzle
03-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the info.

A few things

1) Such a low shooting % is painful. They say your weaknesses come to the forefront in the tournament and I really think that if Duke loses its going to be from a lack of making 2pt shots.

2) Some of these stats are meaningless in a vacuum (like rebounding). Is there a way to compare the "rebounding stregth" of conferences, or to get tempo adjusted rebounds.

Rebounind is a strength of ours this year but Im curious to know if its because the ACC was a "weaker" rebounding conference ETC ETC.

3) Really what it comes down to is. Im nervous about the tournament and want Duke to go as far as possible and worry that the ACC was actually down this year. I also dont trust statistical conference ratings. As I believe the ACC was ranked high last year and outside of UNC we didnt really have a great showing

GODUKEGO
03-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the info.

A few things

1) Such a low shooting % is painful. They say your weaknesses come to the forefront in the tournament and I really think that if Duke loses its going to be from a lack of making 2pt shots.

2) Some of these stats are meaningless in a vacuum (like rebounding). Is there a way to compare the "rebounding stregth" of conferences, or to get tempo adjusted rebounds.

Rebounind is a strength of ours this year but Im curious to know if its because the ACC was a "weaker" rebounding conference ETC ETC.

3) Really what it comes down to is. Im nervous about the tournament and want Duke to go as far as possible and worry that the ACC was actually down this year. I also dont trust statistical conference ratings. As I believe the ACC was ranked high last year and outside of UNC we didnt really have a great showing

I agree 100% with your #1 point. When you are on a neutral court and the competition gets increasing harder, we will not win shooting in the 30's percentage. Are we capable of shooting better? Absolutely, we will have to!!!

rotogod00
03-16-2010, 11:49 AM
We are the 133rd best field goal shooting team in the country at 44.2%. During the ACC tournament on a neutral court, we shot 40.1%. Our three point field goal percentage is 38.5% ranking us tied for 24th with Syracuse. Our free throw percentage of 75.9% ranks us 9th. Rebounding, we are ranked 22nd with 39.3 per game (thanks ZOUB). Ranked 133 in shooting but ranked #3 in the polls, gets you wondering. Why is this, great coaching, tremendous defense, the high percentage from three, rebounding and making our free throws. If this team in the next six games gets hot from the field, this could be really really fun.

This doesn't really surprise me as we're essentially a jumpshooting team. Are there any stats ranking such a thing; something like percentage of shots taken outside the paint?

bird
03-16-2010, 11:58 AM
This doesn't really surprise me as we're essentially a jumpshooting team. Are there any stats ranking such a thing; something like percentage of shots taken outside the paint?

basketballprospectus.com says an analysis of shooting locations our low 2 point shooting percentage may be attributable to taking longer 2 point shots, expecially Kyle.

This discussion is an echo of another thread where the pessimists focused on the low shooting percentage and the optimists pointed out that Duke was more than compensating through lack of turnovers, strong offensive rebounding, lack of rebounding, three-point shooting efficiency and free throw shooting efficiency. The optimists pointed out that if our shooting percentage increases even marginally our offense, already very good even with a low 2 point shooting percentage, could be virtually unstoppable.

pfrduke
03-16-2010, 12:19 PM
This discussion is an echo of another thread where the pessimists focused on the low shooting percentage and the optimists pointed out that Duke was more than compensating through lack of turnovers, strong offensive rebounding, lack of rebounding, three-point shooting efficiency and free throw shooting efficiency. The optimists pointed out that if our shooting percentage increases even marginally our offense, already very good even with a low 2 point shooting percentage, could be virtually unstoppable.

We are the 10th best team in the country in offensive rebounding rate, gathering 40% of our misses, and the 10th best team in the country at holding on to the ball, turning it over just 16.3% of the time. Largely as a result, we took almost 5 more shots from the field and almost 4 more attempts from the line than our opponents did. That translates to a 7-point head start before the ball is tipped. Handy thing to have.

pfrduke
03-16-2010, 12:21 PM
We are the 10th best team in the country in offensive rebounding rate, gathering 40% of our misses, and the 10th best team in the country at holding on to the ball, turning it over just 16.3% of the time. Largely as a result, we took almost 5 more shots from the field and almost 4 more attempts from the line than our opponents did. That translates to a 7-point head start before the ball is tipped. Handy thing to have.

As an aside, the bolded part above is what makes me less concerned with a matchup against Louisville. They were 303rd in the country in defensive rebounding, allowing opponents to get over 36% of their own misses. We should be able to do a lot of work on the boards if we face them.