PDA

View Full Version : Media: Some people do write nice stories about Duke

devildownunder
03-16-2010, 06:58 AM
Tom Robinson of The Virginian-Pilot (in Norfolk), after Sunday's gutty win in the ACC finals.

Here's the link (http://epilot.hamptonroads.com/Olive/ODE/VirginianPilot/LandingPage/LandingPage.aspx?href=VmlyZ2luaWFuUGlsb3QvMjAxMC8w My8xNQ..&pageno=MzE.&entity=QXIwMzEwMQ..&view=ZW50aXR5)

weezie
03-16-2010, 07:27 AM
The Pilot has a fine sports section. They cover one of the more productive sports regions in the country. Plenty of big time athletes come out of the Hampton Roads area.
I'm guessing devildownunder has ties there if he/she reads the Pilot online.
Nice article, although every time (rarely) I read a complimentary article about Duke, I'm always waiting for the backhand!

devildownunder
03-16-2010, 07:37 AM
I'm guessing devildownunder has ties there if he/she reads the Pilot online.

I am from Norfolk.

theAlaskanBear
03-16-2010, 09:41 AM
I am from Norfolk.

Awesome article! I love it. And Norfolk holds a special spot in my heart. My granddad was stationed in Norfolk and lived there his whole life!

moonpie23
03-16-2010, 10:05 AM
Moxie baby, moxie...

Merlindevildog91
03-16-2010, 10:13 AM
but the Pilot usually manages to have well-written sports articles, with all the facts checked. Even their editorials are normally well thought-out. They do a good job of covering the ACC.

I'm originally from Chesapeake and grew up reading and enjoying their sports articles. (The rest of the paper, unfortunately, is spotty.)

J_C_Steel
03-16-2010, 10:30 AM
I don't know how even Duke haters could dislike Kyle Singler. The guy's a scrapper, a gamer, a tough guy willing to do anything to win.

I really hope he comes back for his senior season, because he would be celebrated by Duke fans the entire year.

LSanders
03-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Nice article, although every time (rarely) I read a complimentary article about Duke, I'm always waiting for the backhand!

Had to chuckle at the comment ... I'm the same way! :)

chi
03-16-2010, 02:03 PM
Another one (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/03/sleeping-giant-disrespect-could-spark-duke-to-ncaa-tournament-run/1)

"Sometimes it's best not to wake a sleeping giant. "
It also has Nolan's twitter comment ...

flyingdutchdevil
03-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Another one (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/03/sleeping-giant-disrespect-could-spark-duke-to-ncaa-tournament-run/1)

"Sometimes it's best not to wake a sleeping giant. "
It also has Nolan's twitter comment ...

Really like that article. Brief and to the point. Hope the author's right. LET'S GO DUKE!!!

AZLA
03-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Having lived in Virginia Beach / Tidewater -- the Virginia Pilot has always been a quality and objective newspaper by today's standards, especially when it comes to all sports, not just basketball.

snowdenscold
03-17-2010, 03:36 AM
We don't drink, we don't smoke - Norfolk! Norfolk!

jdj4duke
03-17-2010, 10:50 AM
At about the 50 minute mark this morning on the Mike and Mike Show on ESPN, Doug pretty well demolished the whole "Duke Bracket Conspiracy" nonsense. The essence of the thesis (similar to DBR analysis) was basically that anyone who buys into that is uninformed about the selection process and chooses to remain so.
He went on a bit to say that while the bracket might look the most favorable, it was by no means the "cupcake" that is such a popular description, and that Duke in fact well earned the #1 seed.
Maybe I see a bit too much in the comments, but it seemed to me that Gottlieb has gotten to the point where he thinks the constant anti-Duke yammering is pretty stupid.

roywhite
03-24-2010, 11:32 AM
http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20100323/columnist/100329874?p=1&tc=pg

Nice piece by Bret Friedlander (didn't see this posted previously).

Whatever the reason for the Duke-flavored Haterade, it has become fashionable for broadcasters and columnists to serve it up in generous portions this time every year.

The complaint du jour is that the NCAA tournament selection committee smiled favorably on the Blue Devils by giving them a No. 1 seed over a West Virginia team with more losses and a lower computer ranking.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-24-2010, 12:22 PM
I like what I see when this Duke team plays. Each game they play is entertaining and produces good results. Who doesn't like a "W"? ;)

The Gordog
03-24-2010, 12:40 PM
http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20100323/columnist/100329874?p=1&tc=pg

Nice piece by Bret Friedlander (didn't see this posted previously).

Loving it. Just sent to colleague who was giving me that line of garbage about Duke having the easiest road.

weezie
03-24-2010, 02:28 PM
I also just sent it to my daughter so she can shut a few jerks up who pick on her Duke affiliation and then accuse her of being defensive.
She knows the truth! DEFENSE, clap, clap, DEFENSE!

CDu
03-30-2010, 05:31 PM
It's a fluff piece and not high on content, but it's very complimentary. Of course, it's a Chicago-based article, so there's some bias involved :)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-0330-haugh-jon-scheyer--20100329,0,3157171.story

P.S. If this has been posted elsewhere, I apologize.

Bluedog
03-30-2010, 05:37 PM
^Posted on the DBR front page, but not on the forums yet. This made me cringe though:

But the d o o k i e s head to Indianapolis the highest-seeded team with the most legitimate chance of winning it all, thanks largely to Scheyer,

People don't even realize it's an insult.

He's a former Illinois Mr. Basketball. He led Glenbrook North to a state title. He chose Duke over Illinois. Are you a Jon Scheyer fan?

53% no, 47% yes

NSDukeFan
03-31-2010, 01:10 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/03/30/duke.anti.hate/index.html?eref=sihp

Not so fast, Duke haters: These overachievers are worth rooting for

I thought it was a pretty good article with some good points re: blind hatred.

But all this blind Duke hatred -- it's so 2006. Do you even know why you're still rooting against the Blue Devils? Or have you been doing it for so long that it's become as ingrained a habit as mocking Pauly Shore movies?

Because I've got to tell you -- most of the reasons people give for hating Duke basketball don't really apply to this year's team.
Discussing the ease of the Duke's bracket...

But that argument no longer holds water after what's transpired in this tournament. When I said the Jayhawks got a tougher draw than the Blue Devils, I wasn't referring to quality of their opposing No. 9 seeds. It's not Duke's fault that Kansas couldn't handle Northern Iowa, or that Syracuse ran into Butler. Duke's past three games were actually harder when measured by total seed number (No. 8 Cal + No. 4 Purdue + No. 3 Baylor = 15) than fellow Final Four participants Michigan State (No. 4 Maryland, + No. 9 Northern Iowa + No. 6 Tennessee = 19) and West Virginia (No. 10 Missouri + No. 11 Washington + No. 1 Kentucky = 22).
I don't know if this should have been in the hatred tsunami thread as a counterpoint or this one.

rfaison
03-31-2010, 02:48 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/03/30/duke.anti.hate/index.html?eref=sihp
I don't know if this should have been in the hatred tsunami thread as a counterpoint or this one.

Personally I'm VERY glad it's a separate thread so that it is visible when looking at the forum thread titles. If it were buried in the hatred tsunami thread I might have never seen it as I'd just today decided that I was tired of reading the negativity and vowed to try and ignore it and stay focused on enjoying this team's continuing success.

So thanks. It's refreshing to see some journalists avoiding the easy negativity and actually analyzing the team/players/coach for who they are today (how can the Laettner KY game incident possibly have any relevance for an analysis of the players on the 2009-10 team ... it was eighteen years ago!! ... end of mini-rant, thanks, I feel better now).

tele
03-31-2010, 03:38 PM
So thanks. It's refreshing to see some journalists avoiding the easy negativity and actually analyzing the team/players/coach for who they are today... now).

Yes, I was enjoying reading this SI article too, until I got to the "Dean of Durham" remark, that could have been phrased otherwise.

weezie
03-31-2010, 04:15 PM
Yah well, SI is mostly a picture magazine anyway, anymore.

They must have been dragged kicking and screaming to write the article.

moonpie23
03-31-2010, 04:26 PM
isn't that a swimwear mag?

DUKIECB
04-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Linky link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/03/31/duke.bigmen/index.html)

Nice to see them get some pub. I think their play has been our biggest secret this year.

Shane05
04-01-2010, 10:45 AM
That CNNSI article was fantastic. It covered all the points I've been shouting to the Duke haters for the past few weeks. Considering this team's makeup, this run is pretty heroic. They have to work harder than everyone else just to win the close games, but they keep succeeding. If they do win the title, it'll be one the more inspiring stories in recent memory (at least to me).

hurleyfor3
04-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Sports Illustrated? They still publish that? Some game happens and you can't read about it until next week, how quaint.

diablesseblu
04-01-2010, 12:18 PM
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blogpost/7342555/

licc85
04-01-2010, 05:30 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/372123-5-reasons-why-you-should-root-for-duke?just_published=1

Here's an article I wrote for bleacher report. Get this out to your friends and family who hate Duke, and see if it can bring a change of heart. Trust me, I did my research.

licc85
04-01-2010, 10:54 PM
wow . . I'm already on the "featured articles" section of the duke page on bleacher report!!!

Thanks to anybody on these forums who read my article :)

licc85
04-02-2010, 12:23 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/03/30/duke.anti.hate/

and another nice article . . . this time from sports illustrated!

slower
04-02-2010, 09:04 AM
http://deadspin.com/5507494/letter-from-durham-why-you-shouldnt-hate-duke-and-why-you-probably-will-anyway

Here's the money line that bears reading:

"At some point, maybe, Duke will stop being a projection of other people's anxieties about race and privilege and entitlement, and maybe then fans will evaluate the school's basketball teams for what they really are. After all, what we're really talking about when we argue about a team's likability is never basketball but the school's acquired baggage, piled up over decades."

I don't think that's ENTIRELY true, because some of the reasons to like or dislike certain teams IS basketball-related or player-specific (see Cousins, Demarcus). But it does get to the heart of a lot of Duke hate, because (as the article states) there's really not a good reason to hate this particular team.

licc85
04-02-2010, 10:12 AM
OMG my article is the first AND second hit on dukereport.com!!!! lol

Channing
04-02-2010, 11:13 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/372123-5-reasons-why-you-should-root-for-duke?just_published=1

Here's an article I wrote for bleacher report. Get this out to your friends and family who hate Duke, and see if it can bring a change of heart. Trust me, I did my research.

as an fyi, Zoubek was not a McD AA.

mpi
04-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Here's the link:

Exiled_Devil
04-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Here's the link:

With a title like "These Duke Overachievers are actually likable." , I wouldn't call it a particularly supportive article.

Mods, can we merge this with the 'supportive journalism' thread? It seems like it belongs there. Maybe.

BlueDevilBaby
04-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Agreed. There was no need to label these guys as overachievers. The article works just as well without those references.

GoingFor#5
04-02-2010, 12:17 PM
I liked the article. Thanks.

licc85
04-02-2010, 02:00 PM
as an fyi, Zoubek was not a McD AA.

ah damn, good call, i thought he was, i'll edit that out

Highlander
04-02-2010, 03:26 PM
One way or another, Duke's 2010 season will come to an end this weekend. We have one, possibly two more chances to see Zoubek, Thomas, and Scheyer play in a Duke uniform. Win or lose, the last game for these three players will most likely end in tears. They've been a part of something incredibly special over the last four years, something that the rest of us only dream about in our driveways.

From the very beginning of the year they've been an afterthought. They were picked second in their own conference, discounted in every preseason poll, told they were "alarmingly unathletic," made fun of, counted out, and generally seen as another tease of a Duke team that would start out hot, then fade down the stretch. Every accomplishment they earned was discounted, every game they won ignored.

Until now.

Duke did in Houston exactly what it has done since the end of January - Win. They won when every other #1 seed lost. They won when every Sportscasters and Journalists predicted them to lose. They won, not because of a borderline call from the officials, but because they earned it. And they did it with everyone outside of Durham doubting them the entire way. That's gotta feel sweet. In doing so, they have made their own indelible mark on the program. They now get the opportunity to make another one and win a national title, something very few at Duke have ever done.

I just wanted to say that win or lose, this team has had an incredible season. I know this team isn't going to settle for just making the Final Four, and they shouldn't. However, it's worth noting that they've taken us on one heck of a ride, and if they should come up short this weekend we make sure to keep that in perspective. Too often we get lost in the goal that we miss the journey along the way. I know just thinking about this year puts a smile on my face. I hope it does for yours too.

slower
04-02-2010, 03:32 PM
One way or another, Duke's 2010 season will come to an end this weekend. We have one, possibly two more chances to see Zoubek, Thomas, and Scheyer play in a Duke uniform. Win or lose, the last game for these three players will most likely end in tears. They've been a part of something incredibly special over the last four years, something that the rest of us only dream about in our driveways.

From the very beginning of the year they've been an afterthought. They were picked second in their own conference, discounted in every preseason poll, told they were "alarmingly unathletic," made fun of, counted out, and generally seen as another tease of a Duke team that would start out hot, then fade down the stretch. Every accomplishment they earned was discounted, every game they won ignored.

Until now.

Duke did in Houston exactly what it has done since the end of January - Win. They won when every other #1 seed lost. They won when every Sportscasters and Journalists predicted them to lose. They won, not because of a borderline call from the officials, but because they earned it. And they did it with everyone outside of Durham doubting them the entire way. That's gotta feel sweet. In doing so, they have made their own indelible mark on the program. They now get the opportunity to make another one and win a national title, something very few at Duke have ever done.

I just wanted to say that win or lose, this team has had an incredible season. I know this team isn't going to settle for just making the Final Four, and they shouldn't. However, it's worth noting that they've taken us on one heck of a ride, and if they should come up short this weekend we make sure to keep that in perspective. Too often we get lost in the goal that we miss the journey along the way. I know just thinking about this year puts a smile on my face. I hope it does for yours too.

This will surely go down as one of the most beloved Duke teams ever.

DukeDevilDeb
04-02-2010, 03:36 PM

Until now.

I definitely think this team is a fan favorite. These are terrific kids from bottom to top who have worked hard and played this game of basketball and the game of life wearing white hats and being the Good Guys. I am confident that they will continue this through the Monday night game.

Good luck, all! Do the best you can! That's what you have done all season long, and none of us is going to argue with your level of success!

Go Devils!

Indoor66
04-02-2010, 03:44 PM
I agree with these posts. I love this team. Win, lose or draw in Indy, they have provided a great season and are a great credit to Duke.