PDA

View Full Version : WBB: NCAA Tourney

juise
03-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Apparently it was the resume of a #1 seed. Duke is #2 in the South with Tennessee as #1 (http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/tournament/bracket).

SCMatt33
03-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Apparently it was the resume of a #1 seed. Duke is #2 in the South with Tennessee as #1 (http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/tournament/bracket).

Same half as UConn, but not same region, can't complain.

uh_no
03-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Same half as UConn, but not same region, can't complain.

as far as I can tell it is the other half from uconn

-jk
03-15-2010, 08:13 PM
as far as I can tell it is the other half from uconn

No, alas, we appear to be on the same side (http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/tournament/bracket). But I'd love another shot at 'em!

-jk

JStuart
03-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Don't you just love the WRAL headline? Not until the second or third paragraph do they mention that Duke is a #2 seed: they spend the lead-n on State's 9 seed status, and UNC's 10th seed. Hmmm.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/college_basketball/story/7238325/

YourLandlord
03-15-2010, 08:38 PM
A potential match up with Coach G at Texas if they can beat #3 WVU. Random coincidence I'm sure.

DU82
03-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Don't you just love the WRAL headline? Not until the second or third paragraph do they mention that Duke is a #2 seed: they spend the lead-n on State's 9 seed status, and UNC's 10th seed. Hmmm.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/college_basketball/story/7238325/

In WRAL's defense, State, then Sylvia's Evil Polyester football players, and Duke was the order they were announced on the air, so that's how they wrote the story. Probably posted immediately after State's pairing was announced, then updated it a few times. If the story on the air tonight is in that order, then I'd chalk that up to some bias.

CameronBornAndBred
03-15-2010, 09:44 PM
The #2 was a given. I love our bracket, but I'm very happy we are in the lower section of it. Facing G is for sure a potentially fun matchup, as well as once again bumping off Pat in the Elite 8. If they weren't playing in Texas, I don't think the Longhorns would make it to our matchup, but more than likely it will happen. At least G can't unschedule the game this time. I think we have a great chance to face UCONN again, it will at least be fun to watch us try to earn the chance. GO DUKE!!!

jimsumner
03-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Duke is actually 4th in the RPI, with Nebraska 5th. I was hoping that the two would be 1/2 in the same region, didn't matter which order.

Alas, didn't happen.

For the record, LSU has one of the best players in the country, Allison Hightower, an athletic wing.

Kewlswim
03-15-2010, 09:58 PM
HI,

Let's have the ladies take out UCONN and Tennessee and Stanford on the way to a Women's National Championship?

Ah heck, dagumit, let's take out Villanova and Kentucky and Kansas in the Men's basketball tournament. Why let the ladies have all the fun?

GO DUKE!!

BD80
03-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Playing #1 seed Tennessee in Memphis in the regional final? Piece of cake.

roywhite
03-15-2010, 10:49 PM
....then Sylvia's Evil Polyester football players...

lol...very good, and very descriptive.

MHTorringjan
03-15-2010, 11:31 PM
A potential match up with Coach G at Texas if they can beat #3 WVU. Random coincidence I'm sure.

Come on, guys, 15A.

Anyway, I like this bracket for the women until the Elite 8. First 2 rounds should be fun in Cameron, we'd better get a BIG crowd out for that potential LSU game. Granted, they're not the team they were a couple of years ago, but they're still very skilled and as Jim pointed out still have a very good player on their team to give KJ and Karima a good workout.

DukeGirl4ever
03-15-2010, 11:37 PM

They're all about the sub-plots...if you look in UCONN's bracket, UCONN's 2nd potential game is against Temple.....and we all know the Temple coach was under Geno's wing for many years. Coincidence? I think not!

In the past didn't Rizzotti's team at Hartford have to play GENO a time or 2 in the Big Dance?

burnspbesq
03-16-2010, 01:31 AM
Sylvia's Evil Polyester football players.

Actually, that stereotype no longer holds. The days of Tarheel Thugball pretty much ended when Leah Metcalf and Rashanda McCants left. Nowadays, it's actually Duke that muscles up and turns the lane into a mosh pit. The physicality of our defense is a key to our success.

CameronBornAndBred
03-16-2010, 08:31 AM
Actually, that stereotype no longer holds. The days of Tarheel Thugball pretty much ended when Leah Metcalf and Rashanda McCants left. Nowadays, it's actually Duke that muscles up and turns the lane into a mosh pit. The physicality of our defense is a key to our success.
It's because of Duke that the reference to the football players exists. Sylvia said that Duke is so physical she should get the football team as a practice squad prior to playing Duke.

msdukie
03-16-2010, 11:43 AM
The Return of Joe Alleva to Cameron.....

Devil Lab
03-17-2010, 09:44 AM

You must not have watched this year's game at UNC, then. It was an absolute mugging. Clearly, Sylvia encourages physical play and then, after every game, she complains about the physical play and how it hurt her team.

CameronBornAndBred
03-17-2010, 12:00 PM
You must not have watched this year's game at UNC, then. It was an absolute mugging.
Yup, Warren didn't get thrown out of that game for being a nice person.

Tappan Zee Devil
03-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Duke 71, Hampton 37

dukelifer
03-20-2010, 07:01 PM
The women have such a long layoff- it is amazing they are not very rusty.

Verga3
03-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Congrats, ladies!!

Women on a mission.....KJ was perfect today. Very balanced effort, overall. Karima will continue to a stud and we all know what Jasmine can do. Good chemistry on this team. Easy to get behind this great group of young women. Coach McCallie, staff and team have seemed to jell and have begun to create something long-term special.

A Final Four team this year?

GO DUKE!!!

Kewlswim
03-21-2010, 12:50 AM
Hi,

The season has ended for the UNC Women's Basketball team.

Gonzaga 82
UNC 76

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/womens-basketball/recap?gid=201003200233

GO DUKE!

CameronBornAndBred
03-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Hi,

The season has ended for the UNC Women's Basketball team.

Gonzaga 82
UNC 76

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/womens-basketball/recap?gid=201003200233

GO DUKE!
They shouldna even been there, oh well. As far as the Blue Devils go...the defense was awesome yesterday. Vernerey just seems to get better each game as well, she's making some shots now that she often missed at the beginning of the year, being able to step out from the basket. When she increases her range, she's that much more valuable.
I was a bit surprised at the weak crowd, I was really hoping to see a better turnout. Hopefully Monday Cameron will be packed to the rafters.

juise
03-21-2010, 09:21 PM
Tough day for the ACC. (6)GT lost to (11)AR-Little Rock and (5)UVa is down 5 to (12)Wi-Green Bay with under 2:30 left.

Tappan Zee Devil
03-21-2010, 10:33 PM
74-63 to San Diego Stae

94duke
03-22-2010, 12:08 AM
74-63 to San Diego Stae

In Austin, right?

juise
03-27-2010, 01:20 PM
Baylor leads Tennessee by 2 with 12 minutes to go. That would be interesting (potential for men and women to have the same elite 8 match-up).

juise
03-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Baylor up 10 under 2 minutes. Good night, home team.

CameronBornAndBred
03-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Safe travels back to Knoxville, Pat.

juise
03-27-2010, 01:57 PM
27 points, 7 boards, 10 blocks for the freshman Griner. WOW.

juise
03-30-2010, 08:39 PM
UConn (the women get two N's) is on a 51-17 "run" since being in a tight game during the first half.

Next! (Baylor)

juise
04-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Stanford leads UConn by 8 at half. Even though Stanford's a 1-seed, I have to think that them beating UConn would be a bigger upset than Butler beating Duke. It wouldn't be as symbolic (Mid-Major) or meaningful ("Hoosiers"), but it would be more unexpected. UConn is a 14 point favorite.

Spam Filter
04-06-2010, 09:27 PM
It would be like Notre Dame beating UCLA, right?

DukeGirl4ever
04-06-2010, 10:00 PM
I don't agree with the BIG upset, guys. If you've followed WBB this year, Stanford is the only team that has the personnel to give UCONN a fight.

I think UCONN will pull it out, but the injury to Appel (sp?) will be a factor! She's not moving well at all and Charles is capitalizing.

Vincetaylor
04-06-2010, 10:09 PM
It's impossible to watch this game after watching last night's game. It is horrific to watch. Missed lay-ups, bricks, no scoring...no thanks. I feel like I'm watching a JV team.

DukeGirl4ever
04-06-2010, 10:12 PM
It's impossible to watch this game after watching last night's game. It is horrific to watch. Missed lay-ups, bricks, no scoring...no thanks. I feel like I'm watching a JV team.

That I will agree with....they can't hit the broad side of a barn. I'm extremely surprised by the score (and wondering why I'm still up watching it after 4 hours of sleep last night). Always a basketball fan...:o

mapei
04-06-2010, 10:31 PM
The 2d half was very different - Maya Moore is a special player. Still too many missed FTs for my taste, but I'm glad I watched it.

(Incidentally, my wife, who is the Duke grad in the household, thought that other than the result last night's game was really ugly to watch.)

DukeGirl4ever
04-06-2010, 10:39 PM
The 2d half was very different - Maya Moore is a special player. Still too many missed FTs for my taste, but I'm glad I watched it.

(Incidentally, my wife, who is the Duke grad in the household, thought that other than the result last night's game was really ugly to watch.)

Really? People may say it was ugly basketball and some don't like to watch defensive battles, but I thought that game was so INTENSE! So for me it was GREAT when I wasn't hyperventilating.

In terms of the women's game tonight, I didn't feel the intensity at all...not sure why b/c I thought Stanford had a decent chance (even though I'd marry GENO in a heartbeat). :D