PDA

View Full Version : Duke #3 in Coach's Poll week of 3/15/2010

ice-9
03-15-2010, 01:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4995366

Looks like the coaches agree with our seeding!

J_C_Steel
03-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Final Four or bust!

juise
03-15-2010, 01:48 PM
It looks like the AP (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings) (who usually likes Duke less than the coaches) agrees that we're playing a bit better than Syracuse.

hq2
03-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Does anyone really care what the polls say now? It's time to back it up on the floor, guys! The rankings don't mean squat!

dukestheheat
03-15-2010, 02:44 PM
C'mon Duuuuuuuuuuuuuke! Let's go!!! One game at a time!

dth.

El_Diablo
03-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Does anyone really care what the polls say now? It's time to back it up on the floor, guys! The rankings don't mean squat!

Only to the extent that it helps shut up the talking heads who derided people who dared to consider Duke a top-3 team.

ice-9
03-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Only to the extent that it helps shut up the talking heads who derided people who dared to consider Duke a top-3 team.

That's exactly right.

If we had been #3 for a week or two before selections were made, I wonder if there would have been any backlash to us being the third #1 seed?

JasonEvans
03-15-2010, 03:21 PM
I think the talking heads largely have a problem with Duke being the #3 of the #1 seeds but getting the easiest #2 seed while Kansas, who everyone agrees is the top #1, got what is likely the toughest of the #2s and probably the toughtest #3 as well.

My sense is that the complaints center on who we are with more than what our seed is.

--Jason "no one is talking about how tough our #8/9 opponent will be, by the way-- the toughest #8/9 out there in my opinion" Evans

juise
03-15-2010, 03:26 PM
--Jason "no one is talking about how tough our #8/9 opponent will be, by the way-- the toughest #8/9 out there in my opinion" Evans

That, and I'm seeing relatively little discussion in national media about Duke playing in Texas and having the potential to play two schools from Texas (I know it's being discussed frequently on this board). Having a weak #4 seed is only an advantage if they aren't matched up against a team from Texas that is playing quite well.

InSpades
03-15-2010, 03:28 PM

Texas or Wake Forest is not an 8/9 I'd want to be next to either. Cal and Louisville is definitely tough though. I'd trade either for UNLV and Northern Iowa.

I'm wondering if West Virginia was rewarded with being in the East because they were such a strong #2 seed (ditto for Ohio State in the midwest). It's kind of an awkward "reward" to be put in the same region as the top 2 seeds though.

SCMatt33
03-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Texas or Wake Forest is not an 8/9 I'd want to be next to either. Cal and Louisville is definitely tough though. I'd trade either for UNLV and Northern Iowa.

I'd definitely trade for UNI as our 9, but I think that Cal vs. UNLV is a toss up at 8 for who I'd rather play. There's no real point in talking about the other possible 8/9 teams since the committee either couldn't or would try hard to avoid having us play them with 2 ACC teams, one who we played this year, and one who we played in last year's tournament. Giving Kansas a break on the nine seed seems to make sense anyway.

uh_no
03-15-2010, 03:41 PM
I think the talking heads largely have a problem with Duke being the #3 of the #1 seeds but getting the easiest #2 seed while Kansas, who everyone agrees is the top #1, got what is likely the toughest of the #2s and probably the toughtest #3 as well.

but it doesn't really matter that they have the hardest 2 and 3.....becuase they can't have to play both of them.....so it doesn't matter if OSU beat Gtown or east west state.....because ku still would only play osu....and is probably more tired out from beating a tough team anyway....plus the best #3 seed is supposed to be in kansas' bracket anyway....but yeah they got screwed by OSU mostly....but hey....if they are the best team...they should win regardless

hq2
03-15-2010, 04:56 PM

See my post earlier.

Olympic Fan
03-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Keep in mind that this is the final AP poll (there will be another coaches poll after the tournament).

This is the final snapshot of the season -- no matter what happens in the NCAA Tournament, the 2010 Blue Devils will forever be the nation's No. 3 AP team.

It's Duke's 30th top 10 finish (third in a row and 13th in the last 14 years).

It's Duke's 15th top five finish -- the first since the 2006 team finished No. 1 and the 11th time a Coach K team finished in the top five (Bubas had three top 5 teams).

I know it's not nearly as important as NCAA success, but like the regular season title and the official ACC title (decided by the tournament), it's a significant secondary achievement and should be celebrated.