PDA

View Full Version : Lutz out at Charlotte

jimsumner
03-15-2010, 01:02 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/ncaa/03/15/charlotte.lutz.ap/index.html?eref=sircrc

I'm a little surprised. But the program has been treading water and their late-season collapse was pretty bad.

ncexnyc
03-15-2010, 01:07 PM
I keep an eye on the 49'ers, as my daughter graduated from there and was shocked to see this. The move from C-USA to the A-10 wasn't as smooth as could have been hoped for, but this year they seemed to have turned things around with a nice group of 1st and 2nd year players.

Matches
03-15-2010, 01:08 PM
I think sending 6 players out on the floor after a timeout in the A10 tourney might have been the last straw.

Rogue
03-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Jobs now available at UNCC, UNCW, ECU, Gardner Webb,, maybe more to come

Misunderestimated
03-15-2010, 01:46 PM
The guys on sports talk radio here in CLT brought up Wojo and Collins (simply as a discussion point) as possible replacements. Is this a possibility or do you see them heading in a different direction when they decide to takeover the HC position?

91devil
03-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Interesting. I saw Coach Lutz in Greensboro this weekend. I wonder if today's firing caught him off guard, or if he knew prior to today and the announcement was just a formality to him.

hurleyfor3
03-15-2010, 01:54 PM
The guys on sports talk radio here in CLT brought up Wojo and Collins (simply as a discussion point) as possible replacements. Is this a possibility or do you see them heading in a different direction when they decide to takeover the HC position?

I know they had Jeff Mullins for awhile, but anything in the UNC family will still feel a bit awkward.

uncwdevil
03-15-2010, 02:33 PM

How would you rank these NC jobs?

I think I'd go:

1. ECU - best conference, although not by much
2. UNCW - great location, some recent success, good mid-major conference
3. UNCC - awkward conference geographically, still kind of a suitcase school
4. Gardner-Webb

Tommac
03-15-2010, 02:43 PM
As a future 49er or Seahawk parent (my hs senior has been accepted at both), I think UNC-C has the better capacity for fielding better athletic teams in the future. Charlotte has about 10k more students than Wilmington, a great basketball arena, and is on the verge of having a football team by 2014. Who can forget Cornbread Maxwell all those years ago? And you'll still hear Jeff Mullins' name mentioned when discussing Charlotte sports. I'm sorry to hear about Lutz leaving, but this could be an opportunity for Charlotte to pick up an outstanding coach. I think it could be a good position for one of the Duke alumni asst coaches.

uncwdevil
03-15-2010, 02:49 PM
As a future 49er or Seahawk parent (my hs senior has been accepted at both), I think UNC-C has the better capacity for fielding better athletic teams in the future. Charlotte has about 10k more students than Wilmington, a great basketball arena, and is on the verge of having a football team by 2014. Who can forget Cornbread Maxwell all those years ago? And you'll still hear Jeff Mullins' name mentioned when discussing Charlotte sports. I'm sorry to hear about Lutz leaving, but this could be an opportunity for Charlotte to pick up an outstanding coach. I think it could be a good position for one of the Duke alumni asst coaches.

You are probably right that UNCC's basketball program has a higher ceiling.

My ranking was more about the near-term situations at the different schools.

Your child should go to UNCW, by the way.

:)

jimsumner
03-15-2010, 02:51 PM
East Carolina has no hoops tradition, zero, nada, zilch. It's a football school, then a baseball school, then a let's-go-the-beach school. Terry Holland is the AD there and he's been unable to generate much interest in the sport. Coaching graveyard.

Charlotte has to contend with pro sports and who knows if their football dreams will ever be fulfilled? But they have a much stronger basketball tradition and culture than any of the three other schools mentioned.

Lutz is a great guy and good with the Xs and Os. But he wasn't much of a recruiter and the greater Charlotte area turns out some pretty good players. It's not likely that Charlotte will ever keep the Antawn Jamison-level recruits at home but if they can keep home the top-100, 150-caliber recruits from the area and add in some good national recruits, they could be pretty good on a pretty regular basis.

I think it would be a job worth pursuing for an up-and-comer.

wolfpackdevil
03-15-2010, 02:58 PM
A really good up and comer in the college basketball world is Mark Montgomery. He has been the associate head coach for Tom Izzo at MSU for 9 years now, and would be a great selection for UNCC.

theAlaskanBear
03-15-2010, 06:23 PM
I'm here at grad school at UNCC, and it is a great position for a young, ambitious coach (you can call me biased).

1. The school is less and less "a suitcase" school as another poster so eloquently put. Enrollment is around 25k, and they expect it to grow to 35k or so in the next years. In the last year, UNCC has opened up an ENORMOUS student union, new parking, a new research institute, and they have started expanding the dorms.

2. With no football team, basketball is THE school sport at Charlotte. However, there are a huge surplus of fans who have "second teams" in the ACC, and the student body as a whole is sometimes criticised for lack of school spirit. But Halton Arena is a fun time on game day. And there is basketball tradition here.

Honestly, its location is perfectly suited (as another poster said) to attract the non-elite Carolina region talent, not just from North Carolina, but from South Carolina and Georgia.

cbnaylor
03-15-2010, 08:08 PM

Hopefully UNCG because Mike Dement needs to go.