PDA

View Full Version : Extension Ladder Advice

cspan37421
03-15-2010, 10:17 AM
I would like to be able to get at my top gutter, which is just under 20' off the back of my house. I've read plenty enough to understand that a 24' ladder is considered inadequate ... once allowing for overlapping sections, you only have 21' of reach, and at the 75 degree angle you want, you're only leaving a few inches of clearance at the top (when 3 rungs over is recommended).

So supposedly I am to get a 28' ladder (yes, I could just hire someone, but as often as it would need to be reached, I'd like to be able to do it myself when convenient). Does anyone have one of these, and can you erect it solo? I've looked at the "walk up" method which requires 2, and the fire dept. method for solo (which is called "throwing" and is not unlike the pole vault). I'm not sure I could do the latter, though I could practice with my 20' (17') ladder. The former - well, I usually don't have help around the house. The boy isn't old enough/big enough yet.

Perhaps I should just hire out for a few more years until the boy is big enough to help? Or can it be reasonably erected my most guys? (I'm 6'1" but just 170).

Thanks!!!

allenmurray
03-15-2010, 10:50 AM
I would like to be able to get at my top gutter, which is just under 20' off the back of my house. I've read plenty enough to understand that a 24' ladder is considered inadequate ... once allowing for overlapping sections, you only have 21' of reach, and at the 75 degree angle you want, you're only leaving a few inches of clearance at the top (when 3 rungs over is recommended).

So supposedly I am to get a 28' ladder (yes, I could just hire someone, but as often as it would need to be reached, I'd like to be able to do it myself when convenient). Does anyone have one of these, and can you erect it solo? I've looked at the "walk up" method which requires 2, and the fire dept. method for solo (which is called "throwing" and is not unlike the pole vault). I'm not sure I could do the latter, though I could practice with my 20' (17') ladder. The former - well, I usually don't have help around the house. The boy isn't old enough/big enough yet.

Perhaps I should just hire out for a few more years until the boy is big enough to help? Or can it be reasonably erected my most guys? (I'm 6'1" but just 170).

Thanks!!!

Despite the awful commercials, these things really do work (and there are other brands as well). http://www.gutterhelmet.com/

You might want to take the money you would spend on a 28' ladder and put it toward a different gutter system. Going up a 28' ladder to get to a 20' roof will eventually be something you will regret having done (probably en route to the hospital). I say this as someone who has done almost all of my own home repairs all my life (including rewiring, new plumbing, etc.) The one time I did high work like that (painting a two-story house) I took the advice of a friend who is not a contractor, but an orthopedic surgeon, and rented scaffolding. The physicis of a 28' ladder are scary.

ArnieMc
03-15-2010, 11:02 AM
I had the same problem. I bought a 24' ladder and used it to take the gutters down - about 20 years ago. One of the smartest things I've ever done!

OZZIE4DUKE
03-15-2010, 11:42 AM
I haven't had to clean a gutter in the 11 years I've had gutter helmets installed, and I believe they were that brand. And mine are only 10' off the ground. The thought of climbing a 20'+ ladder doesn't bother me. Coming down to quickly does! :eek:

cspan37421
03-15-2010, 12:53 PM
I had the same problem. I bought a 24' ladder and used it to take the gutters down - about 20 years ago. One of the smartest things I've ever done!

Thanks for the reply! ... but, what do you mean? You put up gutter helmet, got rid of your gutters entirely, ... ? Thanks, cspan

weezie
03-16-2010, 07:42 AM
What is it about men and ladders? Every guy I know just loves to climb the steepest ladder possible and the more dangerous, the better.

cspan37421
03-16-2010, 08:33 AM
It's about self-reliance and basic home maintenance. I save my deathwish for my motorcycle.

ArnieMc
03-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the reply! ... but, what do you mean? You put up gutter helmet, got rid of your gutters entirely, ... ? Thanks, cspanI got rid of them entirely.

allenmurray
03-16-2010, 10:35 AM
I got rid of them entirely.

Many people don't do this because they perceive it will be bad for the foundation of their house. However, if around the foundation, where the rain will run off the roof, you have soil with good drainage, (mixed with some gravel and some mulch on top) it can be a good solution.

orthodevil
03-17-2010, 02:41 PM
There are two sets of people I see in the Emergency Room with orthopedic trauma 1) motorcycle riders 2) dudes on ladders. Don't be that dude.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-17-2010, 09:47 PM
There are two sets of people I see in the Emergency Room with orthopedic trauma 1) motorcycle riders 2) dudes on ladders. Don't be that dude.
Sounds like he's going to be both.:eek: