PDA

View Full Version : MBB: UNC and NIT Mega-Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Troublemaker
03-15-2010, 02:49 AM
I trust that Duke fans WANT to and are capable of confining their UNC-related discussions to one thread. Yes, UNC is in the NIT. Yes, we'll want to talk about how the Heels fare in that tournament. But guess what? Duke is in the NCAA tournament, trying to win a national championship. That is waaaaaay more interesting, so let's confine all UNC discussion to this thread.

Put all in-game NIT postings here. Put all post-game and pre-game analysis here.

If you forget and start a new thread, don't worry. I will merge your thread into this mega-thread. There is no reason why UNC should have more than 1 thread on the DBR forum during a time when us Duke fans should be enjoying our team's advancement through the NCAA tournament, however long that lasts. Seasons come and go in a blink of an eye. Let's make sure that our enjoyment is focused on the right things while limiting distractions.

Everyone agree? Okay. That's how we're going to do this.

sivartrenrag
03-15-2010, 02:54 AM
They're playing William & Mary in the first round, right? I honestly don't think they win that game.

RockLobster
03-15-2010, 02:57 AM
They might get past W&M, but I think MSST will whoop 'em in the second round. The Bulldogs absolutely should have been in the NCAAT this year ahead of Florida.

Matches
03-15-2010, 07:57 AM
I'm amazed they got such a high seed in the NIT with a 16-16 record. I guess the NIT committee was impressed by their early-season wins (or, more likely, the name on the back of the jerseys).

davekay1971
03-15-2010, 08:13 AM
You mean the name on the butt of the uniform...

Between their 16-16 record, their disastrous January through March performance, the simple fact that, by the end of the season (and certainly including the ACC tournament) they arguably were the worst team in the ACC, there is no way this team deserved an NIT bid, much less a 4 seed or a home game.

The only question is whether this sorry team and their front-runner fanbase can get enough sack to defend their turf in Carmichael against a FAR less talented, but better, William and Mary team.

I hope W&M adds another heaping helping of humiliation by sending them to a losing season in Carmichael...but I'm not expecting it. Playing in the smaller auditorium, I have a feeling the team and student body will show up simply out of fear of that humiliation.

davekay1971
03-15-2010, 09:03 AM
BTW, Mods...how about changing this thread to ACC teams in the NIT? I understand the desire to put all the UNC ranting/teasing here, but many of us around here are State fans (or at least like State when they aren't playing Duke), and there's gotta be a Hokie or two. So, let's give the one ACC team playing in the NIT that definitely doesn't deserve to be there even less respect, and keep this forum open to discussion of the Pack and Hokies in the NIT as well. Would love to see either of those two teams win it...and the way the Pack has been playing the last 2 weeks, they very well could.

Reddevil
03-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Not only did the goats get a high seed, they were selected over Miami and VCU - inconceivable! I know we barely care but still - a home game?! Bring it W&M!!

cameroncrazy3104
03-15-2010, 09:35 AM
This may sound like a really anti-Carolina comment, but it just don't see how them and NC State make the tourny while a team like Virginia is left out and is looking at the CBI.

hurleyfor3
03-15-2010, 09:52 AM
BTW, Mods...how about changing this thread to ACC teams in the NIT? I understand the desire to put all the UNC ranting/teasing here, but many of us around here are State fans (or at least like State when they aren't playing Duke), and there's gotta be a Hokie or two. So, let's give the one ACC team playing in the NIT that definitely doesn't deserve to be there even less respect, and keep this forum open to discussion of the Pack and Hokies in the NIT as well. Would love to see either of those two teams win it...and the way the Pack has been playing the last 2 weeks, they very well could.

I think the best way to approach this is to create separate game/Nit threads for NCSU and VPI.

moonpie23
03-15-2010, 09:56 AM
please please PLEASE let W&M hand them the losing season.......they are scratching and clawing for ANYTHING postive over there on IC...

they have a ton of threads about duke and as the venom increases, it's becoming obvious that they are beginning to get a little nervous about the success duke has had this year .....

they will denigrate every level of the tournament that duke achieves....

allenmurray
03-15-2010, 09:59 AM
I'm not sure they can beat William or Mary.

Sandman
03-15-2010, 04:02 PM
Does anyone know why Miami is not in the NIT? Their resume is certainly better than some of the teams that are included.

blu62
03-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Would we know?

Olympic Fan
03-15-2010, 05:00 PM
Does anyone know why Miami is not in the NIT? Their resume is certainly better than some of the teams that are included.

Please give examples ...

You do understand that there are something like 8-10 automatic NIT entries. When a team wins its regular season and loses in its postseason tournament AND fails to get an NCAA bid, it is guaranteed a NIT bid.

I know this is how Coastal Carolina, Stony Brook, Jackson State, Quinnipiac and Jacksonville all got bids. I think Troy and Weber State also got in.

As for the ACC entries; check out the RPIs:

59-Virginia Tech (No. 1 seed)
92-UNC (No. 4 seed)
98-NC State (No. 6 seed)
99-Miami (not in)

Now, I agree that based on last weekend Miami and N.C. State>UNC, but based on the entire resume, I can see the case for UNC ... and the Heels were 3-0 head-to-head against Miami, N.C. State.

Anyway, tell me who you think Miami is better than and I'll check it out to see if they are an at large entry.

As for UNC, let me suggest:

-- a first round loss to W&M in Carmichael would be another layer of humiliation to end a humiliating season.

-- a second round loss at Mississippi State would be kind of a neutral outcome to the NIT experience for the Heels. It's not going to make a bad experience that much worse. And I don't see a lot of difference between 17-17 and 16-16.

-- an upset of Mississippi State would turn the NIT into a positive and allow UNC to end the season on an upswing, whatever happened after that. It would also allow them to finish with a winning record.

It's not like they are going to save their season, but it's a chance for them to put a slightly better spin on a nightmarish season. I don't think it happens, but Mississippi State is in the NIT for a reason -- if they always played as well as they did in two games with Kentucky, they'd be a solid NCAA seed. But they are as flakey as most of the ACC's mid and lower level teams.

Personally, I expect outcome No. 2 (a loss at MSU), but I think a W&M win in Chapel Hill is slightly more likely than a UNC win at Miss State.

OldPhiKap
03-15-2010, 05:10 PM
didn't W&M beat Md in College Park this year?

pfrduke
03-15-2010, 05:53 PM
As reported on Basketball Prospectus (http://www.basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=996), Larry Drew II on the Tar Heel fans who feel the NIT is "beneath" them:

"To those people, honestly, to those people, I would say that they can't have their way all the time," Drew said. "Some people are just so spoiled, man. Especially Carolina fans, just because, you know, the whole tradition. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just the way it is.

Olympic Fan
03-15-2010, 06:11 PM
didn't W&M beat Md in College Park this year?

William & Mary beat Wake Forest 78-68 in Winston-Salem on Nov. 28.

William & Maryland beat Maryland 83-77 in College Park on Dec. 30.

The also beat Richmond, which is in the field. They lost three times to Old Dominion, which is also in the field.

They lost at UConn in their opener and also had a 3OT loss at Harvard. They also have bad losses to Towson, James Madison and UNC Wilmington, plus a not quite bad loss against Iona.

FWIW, they are 10-6 in true road games, including 2-0 on ACC homecourts.

hurleyfor3
03-15-2010, 07:16 PM
FWIW, they are 10-6 in true road games, including 2-0 on ACC homecourts.

They've won as many road ACC games as unc has!

msdukie
03-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Of course, their head coach played for DEAN, and thus they will obligatorily roll over in Carmichael.

Devilsfan
03-15-2010, 07:52 PM
UNC in the "Not In Tournament" shoot-a-round! How pathethic! And they are doing it solely so Roy can pretend he never had a losing season. How self serving! Well you had one of worst seasons in your schools history Roy and we won't EVER let you forget it.

Richard Berg
03-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Went to look up the schedule for tonight's W&M match-up and couldn't help but notice that it's the only first round game in the entire NIT to be shown on ESPN. Some get shuttled to ESPN2, ESPNU; the rest are not televised at all. Just goes to show that some 16-16 teams are more equal than others.

Devilsfan
03-16-2010, 07:42 PM
The ladies in baby blue are playing Wilma and Mary tonight.

wolfpackdevil
03-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Right now on ESPNU, NC State has an early 12-11 lead on South Florida.

Dennis Horner as all of NC State's 12 points so far.

Should be a fun game.

mgtr
03-16-2010, 08:53 PM
If the Holes lose to W&M, will they hang a banner "2010 NIT Participants"?

davekay1971
03-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Right now NCSU is down by 4 at the half to USF. They're playing tough defense (helped by the fact that USF can't hit free throws) but having a terrible day shooting. Tracy Smith is having trouble getting shots to fall, and Scott Wood and Javi Gonzalez haven't gotten going yet. If NCSU can get their offense going a little, they should be able to handle USF even on the road.

Go PACK!

House G
03-16-2010, 09:45 PM
The ladies in baby blue are playing Wilma and Mary tonight.
...and playing at Carmichael.

superdave
03-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Roy Williams does not have enough pride or enough faith in his fans to show up to play this game in the Dean Dome.

Duvall
03-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Carmichael *Arena*? What the what?

AlaskanAssassin
03-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Wow, first time watching W&M, they can shoot!

mgtr
03-16-2010, 09:49 PM
Wow, first time watching W&M, they can shoot!

I agree. You think that might cause the Holes a bit of a problem?

Kdogg
03-16-2010, 09:57 PM
Roy Williams does not have enough pride or enough faith in his fans to show up to play this game in the Dean Dome.

I'm all for piliing on Carolina but the Dean Dome is under renovations. Seeing Carmichael brings back memories of the old ACC barns.

AlaskanAssassin
03-16-2010, 09:57 PM
I agree. You think that might cause the Holes a bit of a problem?

Looks like they cooled off a bit, but if they keep shooting lights out-who knows. I hope so though!

pfrduke
03-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Right now NCSU is down by 4 at the half to USF. They're playing tough defense (helped by the fact that USF can't hit free throws) but having a terrible day shooting. Tracy Smith is having trouble getting shots to fall, and Scott Wood and Javi Gonzalez haven't gotten going yet. If NCSU can get their offense going a little, they should be able to handle USF even on the road.

Go PACK!

Great last minute win for NC State. Really heady play by Scott Wood to make something out of what looked like a disaster waiting to happen, and then solid, solid defense.

I know single game sample sizes are unreliable, but it's nice to have the 11th place team in the ACC beat the 9th place team in the Big East on their home court. Score one for the little guys. :)

Duke79UNLV77
03-16-2010, 10:16 PM
Henson would be heading to the draft. A shame.

YourLandlord
03-16-2010, 10:17 PM
This game is not going how I wished it would.

wolfpackdevil
03-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Great last minute win for NC State. Really heady play by Scott Wood to make something out of what looked like a disaster waiting to happen, and then solid, solid defense.

I know single game sample sizes are unreliable, but it's nice to have the 11th place team in the ACC beat the 9th place team in the Big East on their home court. Score one for the little guys. :)

You're exactly right. This was a huge win for NC State. And they showed a lot of heart playing the final minutes without star player Tracy Smith.

Now they go straight from Tampa Bay to Birmingham where they will play UAB sometime later this week.

GO PACK!

roywhite
03-16-2010, 10:20 PM

Seems pretty clear to me that the bottom part of the ACC standings (say teams 9 to12) was stronger than the bottom part of any other conference this year.

Is that relevant to how ACC teams will fare in the NCAA? don't know...

pfrduke
03-16-2010, 10:23 PM
This game is not going how I wished it would.

William & Mary is a really, really small team. Proving that Deon Thompson can look like a man in the post when he matches up with 6'6", 210.

Also, talk about a team that lives and dies by the three. I can only imagine the collective sturm and drang on this board if Duke bombed away like that.

IBleedBlue
03-16-2010, 10:51 PM
I am actually feeling sorry for W&M for not making the NCAA tournament. They are shooting lights out from beyond the arc. Schnieder is just shooting his brains out against UNC.

Richard Berg
03-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Now if they could just play some defense. Forget trying to defend the outside shot, guys -- just take away the entry pass!!

JStuart
03-16-2010, 10:56 PM
I'm all for piliing on Carolina but the Dean Dome is under renovations. Seeing Carmichael brings back memories of the old ACC barns.

Except that this past weekend, the NC High school championships were held in the Dean Dome....Hmmmm.

YourLandlord
03-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Now if they could just play some defense. Forget trying to defend the outside shot, guys -- just take away the entry pass!!
You were saying? haha

monkey
03-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Nasty alley-oop by the guys in green... Heh heh heh UNC is down after blowing their halftime lead. GTHC!

OldSchool
03-16-2010, 11:02 PM
You know it's a bad time to be tar hole fan when the announcer just compared your opponent who has a one-point lead to Hickory High School.

YourLandlord
03-16-2010, 11:03 PM
Zeller is such a nerd.

YourLandlord
03-16-2010, 11:05 PM
I wonder how and why the UNC water cup girl got her job...

Newton_14
03-16-2010, 11:08 PM
I wonder how and why the UNC water cup girl got her job...

Ha.. me too.. inquiring minds want to know!:p

monkey
03-16-2010, 11:10 PM
You know it's a bad time to be tar hole fan when the announcer just compared your opponent who has a one-point lead to Hickory High School.

No - as the announcers just said "This sure is fun"

monkey
03-16-2010, 11:13 PM
Schneider is going Bootsy on UNC

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Those three's are falling, loving this.

Richard Berg
03-16-2010, 11:17 PM
I was thinking Jimmy Butler, but Bootsy works too.

Can't say I'm a fan of the 2-3 zone against UNC but it seems to be doing ok. They'll need it even more now that their big guy just fouled out.

monkey
03-16-2010, 11:20 PM
Bad turnovers down the stretch

YourLandlord
03-16-2010, 11:20 PM
Couple questionable calls against W&M the last few minutes.

BigZ
03-16-2010, 11:22 PM
So UNC needs help from the refs to win a NIT game against W&M

ChrisP
03-16-2010, 11:22 PM
W&M is self-destructing now with some BAD unforced errors. Ugh!

And...is it just me or does UNC get a WIDE open look at a 3 RIGHT after every time W&M makes one? Good thing they aren't shooting it as well or they'd be killing the Tribe.

RoyalBlue08
03-16-2010, 11:23 PM
I know we are not supposed to say anything nice about UNC here, and I don't know if this qualifies as nice anyway...but watching this NIT game makes me really wish Carolina still played in Carmichael. I'm too young to have been following college basketball before the Dean Dome, but I can't remember such a good atmosphere at a UNC game (barring the Duke games). The Duke/Carolina games at Carmichael must have been a lot of fun.....

ChrisP
03-16-2010, 11:25 PM
It's over - TERRIBLE telegraphing of passes all night has allowed Zeller to pick it off 3X I think!

OldSchool
UNC is fortunate that Kitts fouled out. That's been the difference since then.

YourLandlord
I know we are not supposed to say anything nice about UNC here, and I don't know if this qualifies as nice anyway...but watching this NIT game makes me really wish Carolina still played in Carmichael. I'm too young to have been following college basketball before the Dean Dome, but I can't remember such a good atmosphere at a UNC game (barring the Duke games). The Duke/Carolina games at Carmichael must have been a lot of fun.....

I don't, I'm glad they gave up such a home court advantage.

Duvall
03-16-2010, 11:34 PM
The Duke/Carolina games at Carmichael must have been a lot of fun.....

Well, they played there for twenty years, and Duke won twice.

So, not so much.

kong123
03-16-2010, 11:40 PM
I went to a game in Carmichael when I was very young back in 82. I don't remember who UNC played but I remember how loud it was and how everyone stood and cheered-- the entire time. It would be nice to have that again. Wish they would play one game in that gym every year, just as long as it wasn't a NIT game!

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-16-2010, 11:41 PM
Those three's are falling, loving this.

Once i said this it was downhill from there. SMH why?

RoyalBlue08
03-16-2010, 11:41 PM
Well, they played there for twenty years, and Duke won twice.

So, not so much.

I guess I'm just the kind of person that loves a good challenge. College basketball in general could just use alot more gyms like Carmichael and a lot less like the Dean Dome IMO.

darkblue2769
03-16-2010, 11:58 PM
I think Carmichael makes a MUCH better place for an exciting basketball game than the Dean Dome. However, UNC disagrees. Their Dean Dome shows how they really feel about their program; it's all about flash and money.

Also, I think it's really cute that Heels fans are more excited about this NIT win over William and Mary than they have been all year.

brevity
03-17-2010, 12:52 AM
I'm all for piliing on Carolina but the Dean Dome is under renovations.

Dean Smith climbing a ladder to take his name off the Dome? I wouldn't exactly call that "renovations."

pfrduke
03-17-2010, 01:18 AM
Amazing comeback by the Jacksonville Dolphins to knock off ASU. Down 11 with under 4 to play, and down 5 with 20 seconds to play, they hit some huge shots, forced key steals, and capitalized on some missed free throws by the Sun Devils to pull the 67-66 upset.

And the bad year for the Pac-10 continues, as their 1-seed NIT team loses to the A-Sun auto qualifier at home.

jwillrockyou
03-17-2010, 04:06 AM
the w&m fans were louder than the unc fans tonight - pathetic. and i think i heard them chanting "miss it deon" when he was at the line

davekay1971
03-17-2010, 07:37 AM
That was the margin in free throws attempted. So, congrats to Carolina on the win over W&M...at home...playing 8 on 5...I guess.

I have faith they'll be back to a .500 team shortly.

In news about ACC teams that actually deserve to be in the NIT, State had a very nice road win against SFU last night. Gritty performance and a nailbiter. It would be nice to see State build on these kind of positives going into the offseason, particularly given the talent upgrade they'll have next year.

CDu
03-17-2010, 07:51 AM
That was the margin in free throws attempted. So, congrats to Carolina on the win over W&M...at home...playing 8 on 5...I guess.

This is a pet peeve of mine. Just because UNC went to the line and W&M didn't doesn't mean the officials were favoring UNC. W&M chucks 3s and plays a Princeton offense. That type of offense doesn't draw fouls. UNC, on the other hand, attacks the rim and dumps it in to their post guys. That style does draw fouls.

This is the same argument anti-Duke folks made against us (Duke gets all the calls). There's no reason that the number of free throws need be even close to the same for both teams. Style and quality of play dictate the number of free throws.

NSDukeFan
03-17-2010, 08:45 AM
Dean Smith climbing a ladder to take his name off the Dome? I wouldn't exactly call that "renovations."

Thanks for the chuckle.

davekay1971
03-17-2010, 09:37 AM
This is a pet peeve of mine. Just because UNC went to the line and W&M didn't doesn't mean the officials were favoring UNC. W&M chucks 3s and plays a Princeton offense. That type of offense doesn't draw fouls. UNC, on the other hand, attacks the rim and dumps it in to their post guys. That style does draw fouls.

This is the same argument anti-Duke folks made against us (Duke gets all the calls). There's no reason that the number of free throws need be even close to the same for both teams. Style and quality of play dictate the number of free throws.

2 points.

1) Yeah, but it's fun to do it when it's Carolina. Don't insist on logic and rationality here. Party pooper.

2) Some of the calls were pretty ridiculous on the Tribe, and Carolina got away with some blantant pushes, holds, and over-the-back's under the basket. I'm sure there was not intentional favoritism, but there is an undeniable star-power effect on officiating (as seen in the Hansbrough years) that favored the 'Heels.

kong123
03-17-2010, 09:51 AM
I guess rational thoughts are dependent on each fan's individual perspective. :)

davekay1971
03-17-2010, 10:01 AM
I guess rational thoughts are dependent on each fan's individual perspective. :)

And I will freely admit that mine becomes a little suspect when the subject is UNC men's basketball. That's it. I've now completely step 1 of my program. 11 more to go...

Olympic Fan
03-17-2010, 10:23 AM
In news about ACC teams that actually deserve to be in the NIT, State had a very nice road win against SFU last night. Gritty performance and a nailbiter. It would be nice to see State build on these kind of positives going into the offseason, particularly given the talent upgrade they'll have next year.

In view of the way the media (and some on this board) have used Duke's ugly loss to Georgetown as a club to beat the ACC up this season, it's interesting that N.C. State -- thr 11th-place ACC team -- has now posted wins over a Marquette team that won 12 Big East games (counting the tournament) and a South Florida team that won 10 Big East games.

And both State victories came on the road!

If Georgetown over Duke is enough to prove that the ACC is lousy, what does State winning AT Marquette and AT South Florida say about the two leagues?

I guess if you're going to work on small ample sizes, then we can extrapolate that the top of the Big East is better than the top of the ACC, but the bottom of the ACC is better than the middle of the Big East!

miramar
03-17-2010, 10:38 AM
I would like to congratulate UNC for finally scoring 80 points in 2010. I didn't think they had it in them.

shoutingncu
03-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Yeah, but it's fun to do it when it's Carolina. Don't insist on logic and rationality here. Party pooper.

I feel ya. William & Mary's gunners should have kicked their legs out while shooting... ;)

Incidentally, record aside... this is still a losing season for Carolina.

devildeac
03-17-2010, 02:07 PM

2 points.

1) Yeah, but it's fun to do it when it's Carolina. Don't insist on logic and rationality here. Party pooper.

2) Some of the calls were pretty ridiculous on the Tribe, and Carolina got away with some blantant pushes, holds, and over-the-back's under the basket. I'm sure there was not intentional favoritism, but there is an undeniable star-power effect on officiating (as seen in the Hansbrough years) that favored the 'Heels.

And if this had happened in a Duke game, it would be howled about for years by clowns like packer, elmore, patrick, etc. Oh, wait a minute, it still is. That's how we won the ACCT according to some gt quotes/insinuations.:rolleyes:

devildeac
03-17-2010, 02:08 PM

rational=IC
irrational=DBR

:rolleyes:

left_hook_lacey
03-17-2010, 03:42 PM

You're not going to go to the line very often if 43 of your 63 FG attemps are 3's.

scheyeronfire
03-17-2010, 03:51 PM
in the NIT, here is a link to the video I made when the Tar Holes visited Cameron on March 6. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wojnmNlkca0

pfrduke
03-17-2010, 07:22 PM
The Hokies have started out to an early lead on Quinnipiac behind Delaney and Hudson. This should be a comfortable win for them.

In other news, Duke opponent Tulsa is in a tight one early with Kent St., up 1 ~ 10 minutes in.

Bluedevil114
03-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Sorry if this was mentioned previosly. But does anyone really believe that they are doing construction at the Dean Dome. I think based on recent attendance at UNC's last few games that they did not want to embarras themselves by a empty stadium.

devildeac
03-17-2010, 08:52 PM
You're not going to go to the line very often if 43 of your 63 FG attemps are 3's.

They may not have gone to the line at all for any of their 3 point shots. If they did, it was only once as they only attempted 4 FT during the entire game! Just a tad difficult to believe:eek::rolleyes:.

GODUKEGO
03-17-2010, 09:25 PM
Sorry if this was mentioned previosly. But does anyone really believe that they are doing construction at the Dean Dome. I think based on recent attendance at UNC's last few games that they did not want to embarras themselves by a empty stadium.

Plus they cut the ticket prices from $40 to $20 because of a late 9:30 start.

left_hook_lacey
03-18-2010, 11:18 AM
Plus they cut the ticket prices from $40 to $20 because of a late 9:30 start.

I think they are. I read an article after UNC's last home game that mentioned that if you went down the coaches hallway, you'd see stacks and banker's boxes and furniture. The writer joked that if he didn't know better, he would of thought that Ole Roy was retiring early to hit the links.

But he went on to say that they were renovating the Smith Center because it hadn't had any interior renovations since it opened in 1986.

gofurman
03-20-2010, 12:15 PM
miss state early... very early though.

Go msu

theAlaskanBear
03-20-2010, 12:30 PM
I think they are. I read an article after UNC's last home game that mentioned that if you went down the coaches hallway, you'd see stacks and banker's boxes and furniture. The writer joked that if he didn't know better, he would of thought that Ole Roy was retiring early to hit the links.

But he went on to say that they were renovating the Smith Center because it hadn't had any interior renovations since it opened in 1986.

Roy must have blamed the poor play of the team on the poor quality of the interiors they must trudge through in the stadium.

Cockabeau
03-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Zellar cant catch a break man...

most unlucky player since Shavlik...

sivartrenrag
03-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Why wasn't UNC playing like this all year? Strange that the NIT would be the thing to get them to actually attempt to win a game.

arnie
03-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Why wasn't UNC playing like this all year? Strange that the NIT would be the thing to get them to actually attempt to win a game.

Living in the Triangle its interesting how much press on the loser's tournament we're getting. With carolina's deep run into the nit, the headlines will be interesting tomorrow - bet the N&O coverage of the nit exceeds the NCAA and Wake's game against Kentucky.

BD80
03-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Zellar cant catch a break man...

most unlucky player since Shavlik...

What happened to Zeller?

I didn't watch the game because, like ol' roy, I don't give a ... about carolina.

Son of Mojo
03-20-2010, 03:49 PM
I think Ben Folds 5 wrote a song about this game today.........The Battle of Who Could Care Less. The shame is they now will finish with a winning record.

kong123
03-20-2010, 04:29 PM
What happened to Zeller?

I didn't watch the game because, like ol' roy, I don't give a ... about carolina.

He got 5 stitches and a concussion after colliding with another player under the basket. He missed the final 10 minutes of the game and will probably not be available for the next game.

DukieInKansas
03-20-2010, 04:32 PM
He got 5 stitches and a concussion after colliding with another player under the basket. He missed the final 10 minutes of the game and will probably not be available for the next game.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope he has a speedy and complete recovery. Head injuries of any kind are scary.

dukelifer
03-20-2010, 07:03 PM

I wonder if the says something more about the SEC.

Devilsfan
03-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Playing like what? Miss St sucks and they almost won todays game in the Not In Tournament play-around.

ClosetHurleyFan
03-21-2010, 08:02 AM
Playing like what? Miss St sucks and they almost won todays game in the Not In Tournament play-around.

In case you didnt notice, Miss St nearly beat Kentucky in the SEC championship game. They hardly suck.

BD80
03-22-2010, 08:15 PM
North Carolina coach Roy Williams says sophomore Tyler Zeller is uncertain to play against UAB in the third round of the NIT on Tuesday night.

Zeller was hit [against] Mississippi State. The blow opened a cut that needed five stitches and left him with a mild concussion.

Williams said ...Zeller is "50-50" to play and that he wouldn't practice.

We've never heard this before!

How many players take five stitches in the head and are back in within minutes?

Not with ol' roy boyo ... This is a media event! The suspense is killing me!

Will he play Tuesday after stitches Saturday????

pfrduke
03-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Good win for the Hokies, picking up a comeback victory over UConn to knock Calhoun from the post-season. Next up is Rhode Island on Wednesday. Carolina gets UAB tomorrow night.

JohnGalt
03-22-2010, 10:23 PM
That was great seeing Kemba get blocked at the end. My brother's a Hokie so it was nice seeing them pull out the W.

mike88
03-22-2010, 10:27 PM

The issue is the concussion, not the stitches. They are doing the right thing to be careful.

BD80
03-23-2010, 09:34 PM

The issue is the concussion, not the stitches. They are doing the right thing to be careful.

Good Golly were they lucky!

Aw shucks gee, can you believe Zeller is playing tonight?

It was only 50/50 that he could play and yet he came back in just three days having taken five whole stitches. True, he looks silly in the foam helmet ol' roy has him wearing, but he is such a trooper being out there at all!

I only wish that Kyle had that much courage (what? Kyle didn't even miss practice with SIX stitches?)

NEVER MIND

dukelifer
03-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Not sure UNC wants their season to end- they keep hanging in there.

jdj4duke
03-23-2010, 10:42 PM
I am watching in amazement at the UNC-UAB game. It is one of the worst basketball games I have ever seen. I would like to say that the refs are ruining it, but they don't have a chance because neither team seems capable of running two plays in a row without a turnover.

UNC has their usual allotment of players in the stands, since so many passes have gone there. UAB seems to be colorblind for blue, since they have executed a number of crisp passes to the Heels.

The shooting percentages must be abysmal. And right on cue- another UAB turnover and now one right back from the Heels! As much as I hope for another notch in the UNC "L" column, this is really hard to watch. They both look terrible.

dukelifer
03-23-2010, 10:53 PM
I am watching in amazement at the UNC-UAB game. It is one of the worst basketball games I have ever seen. I would like to say that the refs are ruining it, but they don't have a chance because neither team seems capable of running two plays in a row without a turnover.

UNC has their usual allotment of players in the stands, since so many passes have gone there. UAB seems to be colorblind for blue, since they have executed a number of crisp passes to the Heels.

The shooting percentages must be abysmal. And right on cue- another UAB turnover and now one right back from the Heels! As much as I hope for another notch in the UNC "L" column, this is really hard to watch. They both look terrible.

As bad as UNC may have been and perhaps are- it is hard to believe they cannot beat a Conference USA team. I would be surprised if UNC is not playing for the NIT crown.

jdj4duke
03-23-2010, 11:05 PM
UAB, down 4 with about 30 seconds left, just dribbled it straight into the arms of UNC. That should do it. With a couple foul shots, the Heels will jump over the 60 point hurdle. Oh the humanity!

Dukelifer called it-

Troublemaker
03-23-2010, 11:20 PM
I heard Gene Hackman is already sending spec scripts to studios to see if they want to produce a film about this magical Carolina run through the NIT tournament, kinda like a sequel to Hoosiers with Hackman playing the role of Roy Williams. Family audiences would totally eat up this kind of heartwarming, underdog sports story. The wheels are in motion for Sandra Bullock to play Roy's wife in the movie, too. She's going for two in a row, baby.

DevilHorns
03-23-2010, 11:25 PM
I heard Gene Hackman is already sending spec scripts to studios to see if they want to produce a film about this magical Carolina run through the NIT tournament, kinda like a sequel to Hoosiers with Hackman playing the role of Roy Williams. Family audiences would totally eat up this kind of heartwarming, underdog sports story. The wheels are in motion for Sandra Bullock to play Roy's wife in the movie, too. She's going for two in a row, baby.

I hear Sean May is trying out for the part of Michael Oher. Oh wait, wrong movie.

Greg_Newton
03-23-2010, 11:30 PM
I kind of wish UNC hadn't even been invited to the NIT (as they shouldn't have been), so they could have ended the season without any moral victories. However, it's probably good to raise expectations a little for next season, if for nothing else but our mental health come their inevitable improvement next year.

Plus, Mr. Henson may be playing his way back into the first round. He was basically their go to guy down the stretch, and has been averaging 9.9 points, 7.3 rebounds and 2.2 blocks in Feb/March (i.e. since he started playing the 4 and getting significant minutes). That's pretty comparable with some of their other PF one and dones... although I suppose his uniqueness as a physical prospect may help or hurt him.

Jderf
03-23-2010, 11:55 PM
Personally, I'm cheering for UNC to win the NIT. Just imagine the NIT banner hanging next to the other five, making a nice bookend with the Helms banner. It would provide so much fire power for whenever a tarheel brings up the subject of 5vs3 championships. (Whereas, without the NIT championship, referencing this abysmal season would seem irrelevant and like a last-ditch effort.)

AlaskanAssassin
03-24-2010, 12:06 AM
Want them to either lose against Va Tech or in the finals.

LSanders
03-24-2010, 12:38 AM
Not sure UNC wants their season to end- they keep hanging in there.

They strive to be king of the ant hill ... :)

DevilHorns
03-24-2010, 12:46 AM
God how great would it be if we win the NCAA and they win the NIT?

I don't know how I would contain my multi-directional raw emotion. I would be incredibly unfathomably happy, and at the same time dying of unquenchable almost spleen-rupturing laughter.

JayBean
03-24-2010, 01:41 AM
if they won the NIT?

MarkD83
03-24-2010, 02:13 AM
We're number 66...we're number 66... we're number 66.....

(Or am I missing a 6.)

snowdenscold
03-24-2010, 03:58 AM
It would provide so much fire power for whenever a tarheel brings up the subject of 5vs3 championships. (Whereas, without the NIT championship, referencing this abysmal season would seem irrelevant and like a last-ditch effort.)

You make an excellent point here.

dukelifer
03-24-2010, 08:08 AM
I kind of wish UNC hadn't even been invited to the NIT (as they shouldn't have been), so they could have ended the season without any moral victories. However, it's probably good to raise expectations a little for next season, if for nothing else but our mental health come their inevitable improvement next year.

Plus, Mr. Henson may be playing his way back into the first round. He was basically their go to guy down the stretch, and has been averaging 9.9 points, 7.3 rebounds and 2.2 blocks in Feb/March (i.e. since he started playing the 4 and getting significant minutes). That's pretty comparable with some of their other PF one and dones... although I suppose his uniqueness as a physical prospect may help or hurt him.

I come to think that this really does not change much- win it or lose it. It helps the UNC faithful feel somewhat better about the season- but the team has not looked brilliant in their wins. I just think UNC is better than those other teams but not in their usual lofty place in the bball world. I also thought Henson might get some more love from the NBA- but I think he will stay another year to develop with a better team.

davekay1971
03-24-2010, 09:11 AM
It's kind of cute watching the Tarhole fans try to muster some enthusiasm over this NIT run. They're now gloriously predicting that, sure thing, they WILL be preseason top 25 (uh, guys, you were preseason top 5 this year...didn't help much). And on talk radio in Charlotte they're talking about how "UNC's going to go farther than Duke will" in their respective tournaments. That's one of the funniest and most pathetic boasts I've ever heard, even from a Tarhole fan.

It's all making a nice reminder why we should always, always cheer against the baby blue...they're fans truly deserve unlimited suffering.

weezie
03-24-2010, 09:17 AM
It's all making a nice reminder why we should always, always cheer against the baby blue...they're fans truly deserve unlimited suffering.

You got that right, brother. I wonder if Tyler will be showing up behind the bench for any of the games? Y'know, show his support, clap and chew gum?

davekay1971
03-24-2010, 10:18 AM
You got that right, brother. I wonder if Tyler will be showing up behind the bench for any of the games? Y'know, show his support, clap and chew gum?

At the same time? That's asking too much of Beaker! :eek:

ClosetHurleyFan
03-24-2010, 11:00 AM
It's kind of cute watching the Tarhole fans try to muster some enthusiasm over this NIT run. They're now gloriously predicting that, sure thing, they WILL be preseason top 25 (uh, guys, you were preseason top 5 this year...didn't help much). And on talk radio in Charlotte they're talking about how "UNC's going to go farther than Duke will" in their respective tournaments. That's one of the funniest and most pathetic boasts I've ever heard, even from a Tarhole fan.

Although any objective UNC or Duke fan will certainly note that them getting to NIT, playing well (actually beating some decent teams along the way like Miss St and UAB, who each won north of twenty games this year) is a very good thing heading into next year. This unit is now starting to look like one that become formidable next year if the freshmen are as good as advertised. Plus, there is no telling how much Drew benefits from the confidence he will gain from his stellar late game play against MSU and UAB. Futhermore, I think Roy and Crew have handled the NIT thing very professionally and graciously. No I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ing or complaining, just tried to play and improve and that is all you can ask as a fan.

Good chance they play VT next round. If you are VT, you have to be a little concerned about your ability to beat UNC three times given how much better UNC is playing now.

Matches
03-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Good chance they play VT next round. If you are VT, you have to be a little concerned about your ability to beat UNC three times given how much better UNC is playing now.

VT and UNC split during the regular season, so each team would be going for win #2 against the other.

OldPhiKap
03-24-2010, 11:02 AM
I feel dirty rooting for Seth next game -- but there you have it.

Highlander
03-24-2010, 12:13 PM

I also heard today that "UNC's played better teams in the NIT than Duke has in the NCAA tournament."

I hope beyond hope that UNC will raise a "National Champions 2010" banner if they win the NIT. That would be so patheticly awesome.

At the very least, they could add another "NIT 3rd place" banner if they win one more game.

DevilHorns
03-24-2010, 12:17 PM
I also heard today that "UNC's played better teams in the NIT than Duke has in the NCAA tournament."

B/c we thoroughly defeated Cal by a glimpse at the box-score does not reflect poorly on them. They are a great team. UNC fans are flat out bitter. I really hope they get 2nd in the NIT so they can hoist up "2010 Runner-Up NIT Tournament"

jdj4duke
03-24-2010, 12:31 PM

There you go, snooping around the IC board again. That will get you nothing objective or factual, but plenty of proof that the earth is in fact flat.

yancem
03-24-2010, 12:45 PM
I was watching part of the game last night and an interesting thought came to mind. Wouldn't it be ironic if a by product of unc's success in NIT was the raising of Henson's draft stock? My guess is that had unc lost in the first round he would not be in a very good position to enter the draft but with each win and each strong game, Henson shows the potential that had people a buzz prior to he season. You always hear about a strong post season propelling a player into the draft, who would have thought that it could happen in the NIT?

So if unc winning the NIT meant that Henson would go pro, would you take it?

Matches
03-24-2010, 12:47 PM

In a heartbeat. But I think that in order for NIT performance to significantly affect his draft position, someone would actually have to be watching the NIT.

slower
03-24-2010, 12:53 PM

And that, my friends, is the essence of Tarholism. What a bunch of maroons.

hc5duke
03-24-2010, 01:02 PM
if they won the NIT?

maybe if they won, they can go for a back-to-back NIT championship like south carolina did 4 years ago

natedog4ever
03-24-2010, 01:36 PM

Cal would destroy this UNC team. Period.

DukieInBrasil
03-24-2010, 01:44 PM
I was watching part of the game last night and an interesting thought came to mind. Wouldn't it be ironic if a by product of unc's success in NIT was the raising of Henson's draft stock? My guess is that had unc lost in the first round he would not be in a very good position to enter the draft but with each win and each strong game, Henson shows the potential that had people a buzz prior to he season. You always hear about a strong post season propelling a player into the draft, who would have thought that it could happen in the NIT?

absolutely. Anything that makes UNC less formidable is a good thing. Henson is a good player, no doubt about it, and he would help form a very imposing frontcourt at UNC next year.
If he really has NBA 1st round potential, then any positive exposure against good teams is a plus for his stock. From what I gather, he's playing well in the NIT.

yancem
03-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Cal would destroy this UNC team. Period.

I'm not so sure about that. I have watched parts of the past two NIT games and unc is playing much better than they did during the regular season. I'm not saying that they are all of the sudden a great team but they are playing with more heart and while they still make some boneheaded mistakes, they are executing better when the game is on the line. There were games this season where they looked like they just gave up. I'm not seeing that right now.

The second ironic thing that might happen due to their success in the NIT is some of the players contemplating transferring will end the season on a happier note and may decide to stay. This would keep unc's scholarship situation tight for the next couple of seasons.

weezie
03-24-2010, 02:16 PM
At the same time? That's asking too much of Beaker! :eek:

Yes but he's "SUCH A HARD WORKER" surely he could give it the old college try.

natedog4ever
03-24-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm not so sure about that. I have watched parts of the past two NIT games and unc is playing much better than they did during the regular season. I'm not saying that they are all of the sudden a great team but they are playing with more heart and while they still make some boneheaded mistakes, they are executing better when the game is on the line. There were games this season where they looked like they just gave up. I'm not seeing that right now.

Nope. If you look closely the execution still isn't there. These are teams that couldn't make the tourney. If it takes heart to beat them, you aren't very good. Thank goodness for backboards, they are keeping the holes alive.

shoutingncu
03-24-2010, 02:29 PM
First and foremost, these are good at best teams Carolina's beating during this stretch, and it doesn't look to change much. Is there that much of a difference between Mississippi State and Virginia Tech? So I have no allusions that even winning this tournament would mean we'd turned some corner. It would just mean that we're also good but not great.

The only positive to continued winning (besides the obvious: misleadingly improved record and confidence building) is the chemistry issue. The ongoing games have helped the team play better together. They're not playing all that much better, but they're playing together a bit more. One of you made the valid point that accepting an NIT bid for team building purposes may actually be a bad thing because the more time this team spent together, the less they seemed to like each other. That seems to have been settled, and for that, if nothing else, I'm happy with this moderate success.

As for hanging a banner... well... It's been a while since I've been to Chapel Hill, so I'll need a current jpeg from Airowe, but it's my understanding that the Dean Dome changed their decoration. My hope would be that, should we win, a simple addition to an existing banner gets put in place.

Banner Redesign (http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/121307aaa.html)

In the corner above the visiting tunnel (between those banners and the existing jersey banners) are three larger (10-by-15) banners--one honors Carolina's Southern Conference titles, one honors the 1957 perfect season and Frank McGuire, and one honors Carolina's NIT champions.

Although I admit it's much funnier to think of hanging a new one...

jdj4duke
03-24-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm not saying that they are all of the sudden a great team but they are playing with more heart and while they still make some boneheaded mistakes,

One of the understatements of the day; UAB was just terrible and the Heels were just a shade less pitiful. They didn't give up, true, but they were never pushed by UAB to any degree. I have on dark blue goggles, but they shoot like they are blind in one eye and can't see out of the other, their passing is horrible, and they throw the ball to the winds at least a few times a game.

They may be a bit better, and I think that is primarily due to Henson. Put them in front of Cal, or GT, or pretty much anyone outside the NIT and I think they get demolished and demoralized some more. If they play Va Tech again, that will be an interesting measure of how far the Heels have (or not) come. I am not convinced of anything more than a marginal improvement, especially given the level of two out of their last 3 competitors.

Highlander
03-24-2010, 03:41 PM
There you go, snooping around the IC board again. That will get you nothing objective or factual, but plenty of proof that the earth is in fact flat.

Close. It was actually Charlotte sports talk radio. I will give them credit in that Bob Harris was a guest on their program earlier in the week, and they repeatedly made fun of the guy who said it. But they do give way more credence to UNC's NIT run than most outlets, who hardly notice.

BD80
03-24-2010, 04:07 PM

... At the very least, they could add another "NIT 3rd place" banner if they win one more game.

This is the beauty of an NIT run, it makes the fanbase (and a delusional coach) overlook the fundamental flaws in the team. Expectations will be sky high again even though the team won't be much better. Best thing, the won't be any corrective measures to take, because there aren't any problems!

I would prefer they hang a "NIT 4th place" banner.

maybe if they won, they can go for a back-to-back NIT championship like south carolina did 4 years ago

So mean, but so good!

... The second ironic thing that might happen due to their success in the NIT is some of the players contemplating transferring will end the season on a happier note and may decide to stay. This would keep unc's scholarship situation tight for the next couple of seasons.

This is what I'm talking about! Flaws are fading in the rear view mirror.

Originally Posted by yancem

This isn't far fetched. Maybe not likely, but at least not out of the question. He is showing scouts that he has the potential they thought he had, and no GM wants to pass on the next Chris Bosh (I know, Bosh can shoot from more than three feet). Even though he wouldn't play for a year or two, I would say he's a top ten pick, ahead of Patterson (6'-8"), Aminu (can diasappear) or Henry (maybe more ready, but just as risky and less upside). With the labor issue coming to a boil, he might be wise to get in while he can.

Hey, we can hope can't we?

natedog4ever
03-24-2010, 04:13 PM
This isn't far fetched. Maybe not likely, but at least not out of the question. He is showing scouts that he has the potential they thought he had, and no GM wants to pass on the next Chris Bosh (I know, Bosh can shoot from more than three feet).

But can Bosh "throw" the ball at the basket from 7 feet? I don't think so. Henson is a much better prospect.

Dukeknights
03-24-2010, 07:39 PM
would they really hang ANOTHER NIT championship banner? first off, you have to win it first( some UNC fans predicting there great title to soon) secondly why not just add it to the first NIT banner they have.

:confused:

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Mostly likely, I wouldn't put it past them.

CameronBlue
03-24-2010, 08:24 PM
It's their dome, hang a banner, hang a kielbasa, who cares? And given the putrid depths from which the current Tar Heel team has risen it would be a noteworthy ending to their season--sort of a Stuart Smalley affirmation that "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggoneit! People like me." (Well except their own fans.)

Indoor66
03-24-2010, 09:13 PM
UNC will play Rhode Island in NY. Anybody remember a UNI - RI game when UNC lost - in the NCAA's?

AnotherNYCDukeFan
03-24-2010, 11:09 PM
I'm a long time Duke fan, but a URI alumnus. I just bought my tickets for the matchup with UNC next week. My hatred for UNC originated way back with King Rice and has held steady ever since (though perhaps peaking when Hansbrough ruined JJ's senior night).

My question to those with real vested interests in the rivalry, is it appropriate to wear a 9F t-shirt to the game?

Thanks in advance.

OldPhiKap
03-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Meanwhile, Dayton's been trying to give this game away to illinois for the last ten minutes . . . .

pfrduke
03-25-2010, 03:08 AM
My question to those with real vested interests in the rivalry, is it appropriate to wear a 9F t-shirt to the game?

Thanks in advance.

Unequivocally, yes. Wear it with pride. And explain to all who ask what it means. :D

SoCalDukeFan
03-25-2010, 03:36 AM
from Inside Carolina because I asked a few weeks ago where to go in Chapel Hill for a NIT selection show viewing party.

So if the NIT is such a big deal, why is the selection show not a big deal?

SoCal

dukelifer
03-25-2010, 08:35 AM
This is the beauty of an NIT run, it makes the fanbase (and a delusional coach) overlook the fundamental flaws in the team. Expectations will be sky high again even though the team won't be much better. Best thing, the won't be any corrective measures to take, because there aren't any problems!

I would prefer they hang a "NIT 4th place" banner.

So mean, but so good!

This is what I'm talking about! Flaws are fading in the rear view mirror.

This isn't far fetched. Maybe not likely, but at least not out of the question. He is showing scouts that he has the potential they thought he had, and no GM wants to pass on the next Chris Bosh (I know, Bosh can shoot from more than three feet). Even though he wouldn't play for a year or two, I would say he's a top ten pick, ahead of Patterson (6'-8"), Aminu (can diasappear) or Henry (maybe more ready, but just as risky and less upside). With the labor issue coming to a boil, he might be wise to get in while he can.

Hey, we can hope can't we?

I agree- I have a hard time believing the great UNC program could lose to the remaining teams. It is their NIT to lose.

Highlander
03-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Sent this email to Chris McLain, host of "The MAC attack" on Charlotte sports radio yesterday. Got a response from him that he read it on the air...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 7:35 AM
To: McClain, Chris
Subject: Unc fans

If UNC wins the NIT, will they hang another banner? Better yet, will the UNC media guide please now claim the NIT win as one of Carolina's seven National titles? I hope they do, b/c it would be even nore laughable than their bogus helms bakery title from the 20s.

Cal and Purdue are better teams than anyone UNC has played in the NIT to date.

ncexnyc
03-25-2010, 02:15 PM
As I've mentioned a couple of times in the past, One of my co-workers who's a heel fan liked to hit me with the, "Do they make an SI Championship Package?" whenever we talked about Duke's 30 win seasons and ACC Tourney wins. Well last night I turned the tables and asked him, "Does SI issue a Championship Package for the NIT champs?" Needless to say he didn't appreciate my comment and proceeded to tell me how KY was going to smoke us if we even made it that far.

mbd1mbd1
03-25-2010, 02:19 PM
I'm a long time Duke fan, but a URI alumnus. I just bought my tickets for the matchup with UNC next week. My hatred for UNC originated way back with King Rice and has held steady ever since (though perhaps peaking when Hansbrough ruined JJ's senior night).

Thanks in advance.

Absolutely. I wore my ca. 1997 GTHC tshirt when UNC played Penn in the Palestra a couple of years ago.

AnotherNYCDukeFan
03-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Absolutely. I wore my ca. 1997 GTHC tshirt when UNC played Penn in the Palestra a couple of years ago.

Thanks MBD. Now all I have to do is find an online store with overnight delivery!

brevity
03-25-2010, 06:11 PM
UNC will play Rhode Island in NY. Anybody remember a UNI - RI game when UNC lost - in the NCAA's?

I don't remember Rhode Island beating Carolina, but they beat Roy Williams in the 1998 tournament (http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/1998/03/15/rhode-island-80-kansas-75). (Read more about that Harrick-filled day here (http://www.nytimes.com/1998/03/16/sports/1998-ncaa-tournament-second-round-midwest-valparaiso-rhode-island-make-upsets.html?pagewanted=1).)

While we're on the subject, I have to believe that this NIT semifinal will feature the two ugliest colored uniforms in college basketball: Carolina blue, and dirty, milky Carolina blue, or whatever URI's color is.

It's like a blue Pepto-Bismol. With the opposite effect to my stomach.

OldPhiKap
03-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks MBD. Now all I have to do is find an online store with overnight delivery!

T-Shirt.

Sharpie.

Done.

-bdbd
03-25-2010, 11:41 PM
As I've mentioned a couple of times in the past, One of my co-workers who's a heel fan liked to hit me with the, "Do they make an SI Championship Package?" whenever we talked about Duke's 30 win seasons and ACC Tourney wins. Well last night I turned the tables and asked him, "Does SI issue a Championship Package for the NIT champs?" Needless to say he didn't appreciate my comment and proceeded to tell me how KY was going to smoke us if we even made it that far.

Ask him how Kerlina fared against KY this year.

:D

HowBoutDemDevils
03-29-2010, 09:47 AM
Remember that time Duke was in The Final Four and UNC was in the Final Four of the NIT? Thank you, basketball Gods.

jdj4duke
03-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Despite my earlier resolve never to go to IC again, I checked this morning so see the extent of the their righteous fury. It is actually amazing, that on the front page only, there are 23 threads about Duke. 23 threads, and that includes, as here, a huge consolidation.

Even some of the IC posters now are bemoaning the focus on Duke. The collective breast-beating is fantastic. Maybe the next step is to get them some "Last Year's Champs-This Year's No Show" tee shirts made from horse hair.

DukeUsul
03-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Williams says Duke the favorite:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2010/news/story?id=5038535

noyac
03-29-2010, 04:35 PM
I think he is just trying to get Coach K to say that UNC is the favorite to win the NIT

proelitedota
03-29-2010, 04:39 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/j66hjm.jpg

Saw this over at the TDD. :eek::eek::eek:

billyj
03-29-2010, 04:51 PM
That's a photoshop?

I've seen the exact same photo with KU logo's on.

uh_no
03-29-2010, 05:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2010/news/story?id=5038535

not sure whether this is a good thing or a bad thing....but if duke loses is he gonna throw all the crazies and duke nation under the bust for causing him to lose his bracket pool

Starter
03-29-2010, 05:41 PM
Dexter Strickland: Not a pro-ACC guy.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/03/29/nit-notebook-carolina-wants-duke-to-lose/

A few notes -- I like that this is the "NIT Notebook." You'd think Kyrie would have rubbed off on him a little at St. Pat's. And I thought everyone at Duke was from New Jersey, so Dexter should by nature be a fan. (Granted, I helped propagate that stereotype)

DevilHorns
03-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Think about this, we would be dogging him if he picked someone else, or said anything "Lavinesque" about Duke's route to the 4 or what have you.

He's been a gentleman in his thoughts about Duke in this article and I will acknowledge him for it.

hood7
03-29-2010, 06:03 PM
"Any time Duke is doing well," the Tar Heels' Marcus Ginyard said, "it hurts my heart."

Has anyone checked to see if Mr. Ginyard is listed on the Heels' injury report?

Starter
03-29-2010, 06:07 PM
"I haven't watched hardly any games," he said, smiling. "I'm a spoiled little brat. If you're not going to let me play, I'm going to take my ball and go home."

Let him play?

Lord Ash
03-29-2010, 06:34 PM
Only the Heels could misuse a homophone in a spoken sentence like this...

“Ahhh, I want to see them lose because their Duke. I’d rather have West Virginia win,” freshman point guard Dexter Strickland of Rahway, N.J. told me Monday afternoon in Manhattan.

weezie
03-29-2010, 07:13 PM
I'm not going to read this thread.
It occurred to me that WE are the Cinderella: hated, scorned, toiling away in the dim light of derision.

Nobody wants us to go the dance but here we are...and we need a new pair of glass slippers!

devildeac
03-29-2010, 07:14 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/j66hjm.jpg

Saw this over at the TDD. :eek::eek:

Priceless.:D

ClosetHurleyFan
03-29-2010, 07:51 PM
Think about this, we would be dogging him if he picked someone else, or said anything "Lavinesque" about Duke's route to the 4 or what have you.

He's been a gentleman in his thoughts about Duke in this article and I will acknowledge him for it.

My god, thank you, a little civility in the sea of kindegarten comments in this thread. I assure you, roy would have nothing but respect for kids like Jon, Kyle, Nolan, etc....as I said in another thread, even as a carolina fan, I have no issue with this Duke team winning it. Like last year's UNC team, they will have toiled for years together busted their asses and earned it. Period. Hats off to them, this team is one to be proud of.

Starter
03-29-2010, 08:09 PM
My god, thank you, a little civility in the sea of kindegarten comments in this thread. I assure you, roy would have nothing but respect for kids like Jon, Kyle, Nolan, etc....as I said in another thread, even as a carolina fan, I have no issue with this Duke team winning it. Like last year's UNC team, they will have toiled for years together busted their asses and earned it. Period. Hats off to them, this team is one to be proud of.

I appreciate the kind words you have about this year's Duke team, and rest assured that most Duke fans had total respect for last year's UNC team. There's no question they were the best team in the country and deserved the title they earned last season. But I went back and read the thread and saw nothing particularly offensive there. With all due respect, I think we're just having some fun and joking around with some comments from players and coaches on our most heated rivals, who happen to be having a down year while we're in the Final Four. I know I was. I wouldn't take offense if I were you. I would imagine there's far worse, and hateful, things said on most opposing teams' boards about Duke.

77devil
03-29-2010, 08:37 PM
Only the Heels could misuse a homophone in a spoken sentence like this...

“Ahhh, I want to see them lose because their Duke. I’d rather have West Virginia win,” freshman point guard Dexter Strickland of Rahway, N.J. told me Monday afternoon in Manhattan.

Would seem the writer made the mistake.

Acymetric
03-29-2010, 09:20 PM
Would seem the writer made the mistake.

I think that was the joke.

oldnavy
03-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Once again he was able to work in the third person references to "Roy Williams". Dude has skills!

natedog4ever
03-29-2010, 09:45 PM
"Any time Duke is doing well," the Tar Heels' Marcus Ginyard said, "it hurts my heart."

Geez, he probably needs a triple bypass by now.

natedog4ever
03-29-2010, 09:48 PM

Man, it's going to be fun watching him run around trying to stop the threes from Dre and Seth next year. Good luck Dex . . . you'll need it.

jdj4duke
03-29-2010, 10:01 PM

Has anyone checked to see if Mr. Ginyard is listed on the Heels' injury report?

He is trying to red shirt again. That way he might have a chance to have a game with more points than turnovers.

Those Heel players are so cute, with their little comments about big bad Duke and how they hope we lose. Bless their little hearts.

It has been said before here- we just don't expect to hear derisive or derogatory comments from our players about any opponent. Even the poor sports down the road. No matter that K wouldn't tolerate those comments; those Duke boys ain't raised up to act thatta way.

I suppose the best part though may be that the Heels are being interviewed about the NCAA FF participants while the final days of their glory year tick by as they watch game film for the NIT.

So Roy was politic and gracious as he could be. His team? As usual, not so much. They, much more than even Roy, come off as the spoiled brats. Heck with 'em.

Indoor66
03-29-2010, 10:12 PM
He is trying to red shirt again. That way he might have a chance to have a game with more points than turnovers.

Those Heel players are so cute, with their little comments about big bad Duke and how they hope we lose. Bless their little hearts.

It has been said before here- we just don't expect to hear derisive or derogatory comments from our players about any opponent. Even the poor sports down the road. No matter that K wouldn't tolerate those comments; those Duke boys ain't raised up to act thatta way.

I suppose the best part though may be that the Heels are being interviewed about the NCAA FF participants while the final days of their glory year tick by as they watch game film for the NIT.

So Roy was politic and gracious as he could be. His team? As usual, not so much. They, much more than even Roy, come off as the spoiled brats. Heck with 'em.

Ya know, sometimes the best thing to say is to say nothing.

YourLandlord
03-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Ya know, sometimes the best thing to say is to say nothing.
This post could be applied quite frequently around here lately. Wish we had a little more mod influence on quality of posts. Whole signal-to-noise ratio and all that.

TheRob8801
03-30-2010, 02:09 AM

Where are all out doctors at...this guy needs to be diagnosed with amnesia...

...he seems to have forgotten the previous 6 years...

ClosetHurleyFan
03-30-2010, 12:20 PM
I appreciate the kind words you have about this year's Duke team, and rest assured that most Duke fans had total respect for last year's UNC team. There's no question they were the best team in the country and deserved the title they earned last season. But I went back and read the thread and saw nothing particularly offensive there. With all due respect, I think we're just having some fun and joking around with some comments from players and coaches on our most heated rivals, who happen to be having a down year while we're in the Final Four. I know I was. I wouldn't take offense if I were you. I would imagine there's far worse, and hateful, things said on most opposing teams' boards about Duke.

You know what? Upon reflection, you are absolutely right. This thread really wasnt that bad at all, I think I was letting hangover from some other ones get in the way. I stand corrected.

eightyearoldsdude
03-30-2010, 06:38 PM
I posted on here for a while leading up to the recruiting events of which we might still not speak(?). Then it became clear that UNC had a broken axle and you guys were firing on all cylinders, so I took my ball and went home.

Now I am about to get drunk and watch my Heels in the NIT final four. And you guys get to talk about the real deal. F that!

this sucks. I HOPE K RETIRES SOON.

Love,
eight year olds, dude.

airowe
03-30-2010, 06:43 PM
i posted on here for a while leading up to the recruiting events of which we might still not speak(?). Then it became clear that unc had a broken axle and you guys were firing on all cylinders, so i took my ball and went home.

Now i am about to get drunk and watch my heels in the nit final four. And you guys get to talk about the real deal. F that!

This sucks. I hope k retires soon.

Love,
eight year olds, dude.

82 - 50.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-30-2010, 06:45 PM
82 - 50.

Well said

weezie
03-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Now I am about to get drunk and watch my Heels in the NIT final four. And you guys get to talk about the real deal. F that!

Whaddya mean "about" to get drunk?

Have fun with your team doing whatever it is they are doing. I'll check in after "Lost." Much more compelling tv.

DukeSean
03-30-2010, 07:11 PM
82 - 50.

How do you do CAPS for numbers?

juise
03-30-2010, 07:17 PM

82-50

dukestheheat
03-30-2010, 07:17 PM
They may show you some highlights of your drubbings this year so stay tuned at the half, especially.

dth.

DukeSean
03-30-2010, 07:18 PM
82-50

much better.

moonpie23
03-30-2010, 07:19 PM
could you step out of the car sir? that's right....now if you could just close your eyes and stand on one foot..oops, gotcha...there you go.....

now, sir, if you would just touch your nose with your right hand, no, your nose sir...theree we go...now try that with the left hand...there, oops...almost...there you go.

very good sir, now could you just step into the back of the cruiser there...

El_Diablo
03-30-2010, 07:50 PM
I'll check in after "Lost."

Are you referring to the TV show, or UNC's season?

CameronBornAndBred
03-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Ya know that Geico commercial...with the Walton's?

G'night, granpa

4decadedukie
03-30-2010, 07:55 PM
I would hope that any -- and every -- eighty year old would have the dignity, the maturity, the experience, and the intelligence not to post obscenity-laden drivel. However, this individual certainly appears to be a "fine" representative of the Tar Heels.

airowe
03-30-2010, 07:55 PM

Both.

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/9717/lostseason.jpg

FireOgilvie
03-30-2010, 08:00 PM
I would hope that any -- and every -- eighty year old would have the dignity, the maturity, the experience, and the intelligence not to post obscenity-laden drivel. However, this individual certainly appears to be a "fine" representative of the Tar Heels.

Eight-year-olds-dude. It's a reference to "The Big Lebowski."

juise
Both.

The March 6th episode is clearly my favorite, but I think this season of UNC Lost really started to sizzle on January 4th (Charleston). I'm hoping that tonight is the season finale. :)

roywhite

Actually, not an 80-yr old; his screen name has something to do with being a favorite guy to an 8-year old. So, a senior moment excuse won't work here.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-30-2010, 08:04 PM

82-50

Both.

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/9717/lostseason.jpg

These comments have to be the highlight of my day. :)

CameronBornAndBred
03-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Actually, not an 80-yr old; his screen name has something to do with being a favorite guy to an 8-year old. So, a senior moment excuse won't work here.
Eww..I'd rather go with senior moment over the other thoughts that hit me.

David
03-30-2010, 08:08 PM
I posted on here for a while leading up to the recruiting events of which we might still not speak(?). Then it became clear that UNC had a broken axle and you guys were firing on all cylinders, so I took my ball and went home.

this sucks. I HOPE K RETIRES SOON.

Love,
eight year olds, dude.

A UNC fan parody post! Nicely played, eightyearoldsdude.

YourLandlord
03-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Roy Williams would make an incredible NBA coach, where it's no big deal to take about 35 games until you get your team playing well.

BD80
03-30-2010, 10:17 PM

It refers to a bowling opponent, Jesus Quintana, that the main character, named Dude, must face in The Big Lebowski. Dude is warned...

Dude is played by now Oscar winner Jeff Bridges. Movie is somewhat of a cult thing and worth renting. Ranks up there with Kingpin as one of the great bowling movies of all time!

Duke79UNLV77
03-30-2010, 10:58 PM
between UNC-RI and the Dundler Mifflin basketball game. Sometimes hard to tell the difference, but Halpern appears to be the best player.

killerleft
03-30-2010, 10:59 PM
Ow! My eyeballs!

"If God isn't a Ram, then why is the sky Rhode Island Blue?".

RockLobster
03-30-2010, 11:01 PM
Ow! My eyeballs!

"If God isn't a Ram, then why is the sky Rhode Island Blue?".

The sky is Carolina blue, and God made it that way so we wouldn't have to step in it.

El_Diablo
03-30-2010, 11:03 PM
between UNC-RI and the Dundler Mifflin basketball game. Sometimes hard to tell the difference, but Halpern appears to be the best player.

Which Roy is more frustrated with his life?

This one?

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/roy-williams-unc.jpg

or this one?

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Roy-s-Mugshot-the-office--28us-29-36721_400_300.jpg

UrinalCake
03-30-2010, 11:04 PM
Dude is played by now Oscar winner Jeff Bridges. Movie is somewhat of a cult thing and worth renting. Ranks up there with Kingpin as one of the great bowling movies of all time!

The Big Lebowski does not deserve to even be used in the same sentence as Kingpin. The first was a blundering waste of time; the second a comic masterpiece.

BD80
03-30-2010, 11:12 PM
The Big Lebowski does not deserve to even be used in the same sentence as Kingpin. The first was a blundering waste of time; the second a comic masterpiece.

No real argument there, but how many other bowling movies are there to keep it out of the top 2?

Greg_Newton
03-30-2010, 11:38 PM
Ughhhhhhhh I hate how awful every team in the NIT is. 4 missed FTs in a row to give Carolina the ball with 25 seconds and a tie game... seriously Rhode Island?

SharkD
03-30-2010, 11:38 PM
Man, URI had this game in their pocket... all they had to do was make one single basket -- or one single free throw in the last 2 minutes.

SharkD
03-30-2010, 11:39 PM
Ughhhhhhhh I hate how awful every team in the NIT is. 4 missed FTs in a row to give Carolina the ball with 25 seconds and a tie game... seriously Rhode Island?

Awful basketball, and two awful shades of blue... and now we get to be subjected to another 5 minutes of mediocrity. My eyes feel like they're gonna bleed.

SharkD
03-30-2010, 11:50 PM
And the awful game ends with awful officiating. How fitting.

diveonthefloor
03-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Wow!
Could the refs have handed this one on more of a platinum platter to the holes?

That last no-call was about the most obvious tripping foul you could ever have.
Unfriggn believable.

Daggumit!

CampbellBlueDevil
What are you talking about SharkD?? Duke gets all the calls.... UNC gets shafted every game.

I wonder what UNC fans think about that horrendous officiating.

dukemsu
including a blatant (if unintentional) trip on the last play.

But who cares? It's the NIT.

dukemsu

northernduke
Duke gets all the calls?

To bad no one cares about the NIT. Fortunately this has a chance to get some press and ESPN will pump this on SportsCenter to hype up the championship game.

Neals384
03-30-2010, 11:53 PM
What a tough, gritty win by the Heels. Even though they were clearly overmatched by the size, athleticism and depth of the Rams, they just kept fighting. On to the finals!;)

diveonthefloor
03-30-2010, 11:54 PM
What a tough, gritty win by the Heels. Even though they were clearly overmatched by the size, athleticism and depth of the Rams, they just kept fighting. On to the finals!;)

HaHa! ROTFLMAO!

Greg_Newton
03-30-2010, 11:55 PM
Bahahahaha. Best possible scenario... Carolina advancing to the NIT championship solely on a blatant referee error.

Got anything more to say about Zoubek's charge, IC?

Stuart Scott, I dare you to not mention that no-call when recapping.

RockLobster
03-30-2010, 11:55 PM
WOW, total BS...just another reason the "Duke gets all the calls" argument is total bunk.

Go Dayton.

buzz
03-30-2010, 11:59 PM
Horrid basketball.

BlueintheFace
03-30-2010, 11:59 PM
I want a "UNC- NIT Champions" shirt sooooooooo bad

jacone21
03-31-2010, 12:03 AM
As Tyler would say, "Wow!" That was a horrible no-call. If it happened to Duke, there would be a 2 hour investigative special on the world wide leader tomorrow.

dukelifer
03-31-2010, 12:05 AM
It has been nearly 40 years since they won the NIT. This is a very big deal.

YourLandlord
03-31-2010, 12:21 AM
Now that you mention this, I would wear such a shirt all the time.

shoutingncu
03-31-2010, 03:35 AM
What are you talking about SharkD?? Duke gets all the calls.... UNC gets shafted every game.

I wonder what UNC fans think about that horrendous officiating.

This UNC fan was still a little upset about the foul called after the shot clock violation near the end of regulation... but you're right that that was a trip and should have been called regardless.

You're (all) also right that was a horrible, horrible game to watch. If Carolina had played that badly in Cameron, we would have lost by 60.

TruBlu
03-31-2010, 05:46 AM

I would prefer a "UNC - NIT Runner-up" shirt.

Shane05
03-31-2010, 07:02 AM
I would prefer a "UNC - NIT Runner-up" shirt.

Was just about to post this. That would be hilarious.

oldnavy
03-31-2010, 07:46 AM
That game was hard to watch. The level of play was not very good on either side. But, congrats to the heels for reaching the championship game.

I predict that Dayton wins by 15 in the final... just a feeling I have.

DU82
03-31-2010, 07:56 AM
This UNC fan was still a little upset about the foul called after the shot clock violation near the end of regulation... but you're right that that was a trip and should have been called regardless.

You're (all) also right that was a horrible, horrible game to watch. If Carolina had played that badly in Cameron, we would have lost by 60.

The replay showed the ball clearly hit the rim on that play. Regardless of how a "shot" is taken (it looked like the URI player just lost the ball) hitting the rim resets the shot clock. There was no "missed call" there.

PDDuke85
03-31-2010, 09:15 AM
Coach Cutcliffe has offered Will Graves. That kind of open field tackle is hard to come by!

davekay1971
03-31-2010, 09:18 AM
Missed calls happen, but that one was a doozy.

I'm rooting hard against UNC, for multiple reasons (the usual include it's Carolina, their fans deserve no joy, etc etc etc...). Ultimately, it's a shame that they were invited given their record, though I will give the players props for treating the tournament with respect and playing to win it. Still, I'd rather see a team like Dayton, who earned an invite to the tournament, and who's fans will take real pride in an NIT championship, win it.

FWIW, the Carolina students are saying that an NIT is not "Franklin Street worthy" and planning the post-championship party for off-Franklin.

And we're the most arrogant fans in college basketball???

YourLandlord
03-31-2010, 10:08 AM
FWIW, the Carolina students are saying that an NIT is not "Franklin Street worthy" and planning the post-championship party for off-Franklin.

And we're the most arrogant fans in college basketball???
Well, it's not. It's essentially meaningless except as a building block towards next year.

Tar-man
03-31-2010, 10:13 AM
Most Carolina fans agree that Graves fouled the RI guy on the last play and the ref should have blown the whistle. Many Carolina fans feel that it was an "ugly" win that way and feel bad about it, similar to the comment that Roy made in the press conference. It's a terrible way to win, frankly, although we'll take it given how much bad luck we've had this year.

Both our schools are known for getting more than our fair share of calls. It happens when you attack the basket and when you have high profile coaches that work the refs in their own way (Dean, Roy and K).

The big difference here is most Carolina fans acknowledge the bad calls in our favor. Most Duke fans do forensics science to "prove" that their favorable bad calls are actually truly great calls when broken down into 1/1000th slow motion replay or try to argue that it looks funny on replay only because the camera was at a bizarre angle or something (but look, if you see joe-duke man's angle from his flip video phone from section 419, it shows Zoubek really did have feet set before the Baylor guy jumped!).

BTW, congrats on Duke's final four this year. Easy bracket or not, it's an impressive achievement. It kills me, but I respect it.

Have fun mocking us now. Carolina will be back.

Duvall
03-31-2010, 10:14 AM
Have fun mocking us now.

Done.

roywhite
03-31-2010, 10:20 AM
Well, it's not. It's essentially meaningless except as a building block towards next year.

2009 NIT Champ Penn State turned all that momentum into an 11-20 (3-15 B10) record this season. Something for the Heels to shoot for. :)

SharkD
03-31-2010, 10:45 AM
The big difference here is most Carolina fans acknowledge the bad calls in our favor. Most Duke fans do forensics science to "prove" that their favorable bad calls are actually truly great calls when broken down into 1/1000th slow motion replay or try to argue that it looks funny on replay only because the camera was at a bizarre angle or something (but look, if you see joe-duke man's angle from his flip video phone from section 419, it shows Zoubek really did have feet set before the Baylor guy jumped!).

Thanks for that. I was worried that I wouldn't get my recommended daily allowance of straw-man arguments (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man); now I have enough to tide me through the end of the week.

devildeac
03-31-2010, 10:48 AM
Coach Cutcliffe has offered Will Graves. That kind of open field tackle is hard to come by!

Classic. Well-played.

BlueintheFace
03-31-2010, 10:55 AM
Most Carolina fans agree that Graves fouled the RI guy on the last play and the ref should have blown the whistle. Many Carolina fans feel that it was an "ugly" win that way and feel bad about it, similar to the comment that Roy made in the press conference. It's a terrible way to win, frankly, although we'll take it given how much bad luck we've had this year.

Both our schools are known for getting more than our fair share of calls. It happens when you attack the basket and when you have high profile coaches that work the refs in their own way (Dean, Roy and K).

BTW, congrats on Duke's final four this year. Easy bracket or not, it's an impressive achievement. It kills me, but I respect it.

smh. Poor Guy has to build a straw man to fight him.

bluedevil2012
03-31-2010, 10:57 AM

Not buying it. This is EXACTLY what they are doing over at Inside Carolina right now. There is literally a thread called "Watch a slowmotion Replay...he actually kicked/triped [sic] on own leg".

ALL fans do it. People just come up with ridiculous excuses to hate Duke.

CDu
03-31-2010, 11:12 AM

I'm calling shenanigans here. Every fan base has a portion of fans that will try to justify a bad call in their favor. The reality is that there's very little difference across fan bases in general. There are good fans, bad fans, obnoxious fans, psycho fans, etc.

To say "most fans do this" or "most fans do that" is ridiculous. You can say that "some fans do this" and "some fans do that," but you have no basis for making broader generalizations about a particular action. I mean, you're making a generalization that "most" Duke fans will microanalyze the call based on what a handful of posters have done?

gumbomoop
03-31-2010, 11:12 AM

Not nearly as much as you want this tee:

"A Great Tradition --- UNC-NIT Champs - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014"

At the very, very least we can hope for Roy and his guys to have an opportunity to defend their title, or runner-up trophy, next year.

BD80
03-31-2010, 11:19 AM

Well, I wouldn't have, but if you insist ...

I have been wondering why such a horrible call hasn't been getting more attention. Is it because the media is protecting unc? Is there a conspriacy?

No. It happened in the NIT!!

Nobody cares!

CDu
03-31-2010, 11:20 AM
Well, I wouldn't have, but if you insist ...

I have been wondering why such a horrible call hasn't been getting more attention. Is it because the media is protecting unc? Is there a conspriacy?

No. It happened in the NIT!!

Nobody cares!

Haha! I was reading your post, and about to reply with "no, it's because nobody cares." But then I read your last two sentences. Dead on.

sagegrouse
03-31-2010, 11:33 AM

Others have responded sharply to your post. My view, looked at as a hoops fan, is that "undeserved" wins are to be savored slowly and lovingly. I think the no-call at the end of OT is one of those things that happens and is a big deal only because Raftery made it so. And because this is the DBR Board.

The reason the UNC win was undeserved, or even miraculous, was more about RI's clanking four straight FTs -- I mean, these were bricks -- in the last two minutes of regulation, costing the Rams as much as six points due to the 1-and-1 situation. FT defense is a powerful weapon at the end of the game. :) :rolleyes:

sagegrouse

BD80
03-31-2010, 11:45 AM
... RI's clanking four straight FTs -- I mean, these were bricks -- in the last two minutes of regulation, costing the Rams as much as six points due to the 1-and-1 situation. FT defense is a powerful weapon at the end of the game. :) :rolleyes:

sagegrouse

It may have been off camera, but ol' roy was really WORKING that FT defense. We have all seen his famous and oft-repeated defensive stance:

http://ils.unc.edu/courses/2007_summerII/inls572_001/royWilliams.jpg

But last night he took it to a new "low," stealing a page from Duke's defensive trademark. ol' roy went all the way for a "cheek slap" on the floor!

He earned his rep as the nation's leading FT defender!

(ol' roy also leads the nation in defending other teams' FT defenders, ask Presbyterian!)

AnotherNYCDukeFan
03-31-2010, 11:47 AM
The reason the UNC win was undeserved, or even miraculous, was more about RI's clanking four straight FTs -- I mean, these were bricks -- in the last two minutes of regulation, costing the Rams as much as six points due to the 1-and-1 situation. FT defense is a powerful weapon at the end of the game. :) :rolleyes:

sagegrouse

As a URI alum at the game, we all left the Garden much more disappointed with the missed free throws and the ridiculous errant passes on the break than with Ulmer's fall on the last play. No one in the arena thought it was a foul.

I also understand why everyone on this board says that the NIT doesn't matter. But for a mid-major that doesn't get to play in the big arenas that often, last night's game against college basketball royalty (at least the name on the front if not the names on the back) meant a whole heck of a lot. It was a great experience for most of the game and the place was rocking more than any Duke game I've been to at MSG, and that has been every one since 2002.

Tar-man
03-31-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm calling shenanigans here. Every fan base has a portion of fans that will try to justify a bad call in their favor. The reality is that there's very little difference across fan bases in general. There are good fans, bad fans, obnoxious fans, psycho fans, etc.

To say "most fans do this" or "most fans do that" is ridiculous. You can say that "some fans do this" and "some fans do that," but you have no basis for making broader generalizations about a particular action. I mean, you're making a generalization that "most" Duke fans will microanalyze the call based on what a handful of posters have done?

Fair enough - you're right. Not fair for me to say that. Just ticked off about this year. Enjoy your Final Four game(s) (hopefully singular) and picking on Carolina. Will leave you guys alone. The only real point I wanted to make here is that a lot of (me and my Carolina friends anyway) agree with a lot of you that it was a missed call at the end of the game.

Another smoke of the peace pipe here. Congrats on Duke's ACC dominance recently -- very very impressive. And, unlike Roy, I really care about the ACC tourney. Have cared for 30 years.

Peace. Will leave you guys alone now.

shoutingncu
03-31-2010, 01:15 PM
Yay! Home page of Yahoo!

People do care. :rolleyes:

The Trip Heard 'Round The World (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/UNC-advances-to-NIT-final-on-controversial-call?urn=ncaab,231328)