PDA

View Full Version : What upset Scheyer before the game?

ricks68
03-15-2010, 12:01 AM
In the post game interview, the interviewer asked Jon what was said to him on the bench after he was taken out and so upset about something.

I noticed that his face was very red and he seemed pretty distraught, myself. While I know that he was missing shots and also missed some free throws, I have never seen him this upset.

I thought that Jon answered about something that happened before the game, and that he had to just put that behind him. Did anyone else hear that, and if they did, does anyone know what happened before the game that could have caused Jon so much distress?:confused:

ricks

InSpades
03-15-2010, 12:16 AM
I initially thought he was referring to before the game but when I thought about it again I though he was just talking about struggling with his shot. Can't be 100% sure obviously but I had the same impression as you at first but I think he just said "what happened before" and not "what happened before the game".

Dr. Tina
03-15-2010, 12:18 AM
Yes, I heard Jon say something about being upset before the game, but he didn't comment much beyond that. So, I'm not sure what the deal was before the game, but Jon didn't look happy when he came out and Collins was talking to him.

Jon was clutch in the ACC Tourney when we needed him to be, but I worry about him in NCAA Tourney play. He's reminding me a little of JJ when he started to wear down at the end of the season. I'm hoping he'll turn it around because we really need him to be more consistent from here on out.

ricks68
03-15-2010, 12:20 AM
I thought that it was referring to his previous poor shooting, too, but I thought I head that he actually said "before the game". I already erased my recording, so if someone who still has it can review it for me, I'd appreciate it.

ricks

KandG
03-15-2010, 12:36 AM
I read Jon's being taken out as similar to when JJ was taken out of the LSU sweet 16 game in the second half, when he was being manhandled and shut down by Garrett Temple. JJ was extremely frustrated with the officiating and his play, and his head got so messed up that it seemed like an intervention was required from the coaches.

In this afternoon's case, it wasn't so much Jon being shut down (though Tech did play good D), but Jon making some uncharacteristic mental mistakes, like when Kyle made that save with seconds left on the shot clock. Scheyer would be the first player I would expect to be savvy enough to know to be aware of the situation and take a quick shot, but he completely spaced out and ended up flinging a brick at the last second. (The Raycom announcers pointed out that Coach K was furious at Jon after the play).

I assumed the coaches tried to straighten Jon's head out given how frustrated he looked and how uncharacteristic his play was. Hope further intervention won't be required for the tournament.

P.S. I wasn't aware of anything that happened before the game either, and didn't catch the post-game interview, unfortunately.

InSpades
03-15-2010, 12:40 AM
I re-listened. He definitely said "before the game" but I think he may have meant "before in the game" and the "in" just didn't get enunciated.

ricks68
03-15-2010, 12:55 AM
I re-listened. He definitely said "before the game" but I think he may have meant "before in the game" and the "in" just didn't get enunciated.

I think that was probably it. Thanks

ricks

livehead16
03-15-2010, 02:08 AM
He definitely said "before the game" but I think he may have meant "before in the game" and the "in" just didn't get enunciated.

I was just about to say the exact same thing. He doesn't always enunciate in post-game interviews, and I think that was the case here. I just posted it on the tube if you want to judge for yourself (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdaJYW4QqH4), but I wouldn't read too much into it.

ricks68
03-21-2010, 11:56 PM
When the camera went to Jon's parents after he made the free-throw that was his 2000th point, his father exhibited extremely obvious relief. Maybe that was it. I could see Jon stuck in a mental quandry between making his mark at Duke pointwise, and being the consummate team player (which I believe he is). Maybe this point thing was just putting a lot of unnecessary pressure on him. Maybe with him being finally over the hump, he will settle down and the real Jon will reappear. If not, then I wonder if the statement he made in the interview after the last game was accurate as far as there being some kind of a "situation" or "problem" that had occured before that game.

I also don't buy the statement in another thread about him being guarded exceptionally well today. He seemed to me that he was putting up his shots differently, and that he was not really into his routine flow within the game. And, it did not appear to me that his defenders were causing it. It appeared that he had some definite very good looks that resulted in both short and off-line shots.

When he was taken out at one point, he was put right back in, however. So, I wonder if he was talked to again at that point. I didn't see what happened on the bench, and the group of us Duke alums watching at a sports bar did not have any sound for the entire game (They only had the sound from the Texas A & M game on), so we do not know if there were any announcer comments that may have helped us to understand.

So, does anyone know anything that may be of concern?:confused:

ricks

Jumbo
03-22-2010, 12:16 AM
When the camera went to Jon's parents after he made the free-throw that was his 2000th point, his father exhibited extremely obvious relief. Maybe that was it. I could see Jon stuck in a mental quandry between making his mark at Duke pointwise, and being the consummate team player (which I believe he is). Maybe this point thing was just putting a lot of unnecessary pressure on him. Maybe with him being finally over the hump, he will settle down and the real Jon will reappear. If not, then I wonder if the statement he made in the interview after the last game was accurate as far as there being some kind of a "situation" or "problem" that had occured before that game.

I also don't buy the statement in another thread about him being guarded exceptionally well today. He seemed to me that he was putting up his shots differently, and that he was not really into his routine flow within the game. And, it did not appear to me that his defenders were causing it. It appeared that he had some definite very good looks that resulted in both short and off-line shots.

When he was taken out at one point, he was put right back in, however. So, I wonder if he was talked to again at that point. I didn't see what happened on the bench, and the group of us Duke alums watching at a sports bar did not have any sound for the entire game (They only had the sound from the Texas A & M game on), so we do not know if there were any announcer comments that may have helped us to understand.

So, does anyone know anything that may be of concern?:confused:

ricks

I am extremely confident in saying that whatever it is that's affecting Jon's shooting, it certainly wasn't the pursuit of 2,000 points. If anything, I'd believe that he wasn't even aware of how close he was more than I'd believe it was somehow stressing him out. As K has said countless times, he's all about winning. And I think you continue to misread that quote where he, granted, wasn't quite clear. From seeing it before and then again in the link provided, he clearly was referring to the way he was paying, not some sort of mysterious incident.

I will continue to believe he's struggling with his shot because of some sort of back injury that Coach K a month ago until I have reason to believe otherwise. And I also have to imagine that shooting poorly builds on itself for any player, so he's probably not going up for his jumpers with the same confidence OR comfort as early in the season. Add in what Coach K said in today's press conference after the game -- about how he wants to win so bad that he probably puts too much pressure on each shot -- and I think that's the recipe for a shooting slump.

Here's hoping that I'm overestimating the amount of physical discomfort he's in and that he's in better shape next weekend, and that he's able to use the next few days off to not just get into a groove shooting the ball, but to get his mind right in his approach to shooting.

ricks68
03-22-2010, 12:35 AM
I have also been thinking that maybe the Jacksonville venue may have caused him some problems somehow. The Houston venue is different. I expect to see the old Scheyer back in form here in Houston.

As an aside:

My entire focus on this thread has been of concern for Jon, so I appreciate not being blasted for even posting this kind of stuff. If no one has anything else besides what Jumbo just posted that can be added that might concern Jon's well-being, I would appreciate it not being posted, as that was not my intent on starting this thread. So, if there is nothing else concrete, this thread just needs to die.

Thanks,

ricks