PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Announcer assignments

arydolphin
03-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Jim Nantz and Clark Kellogg go to Jacksonville for the Duke games on the first weekend. Here are the full assignments:
Jacksonville: Nantz/Kellogg
New Orleans: Dick Enberg, Jay Bilas
Providence: Verne Lundquist, Bill Raftery
Buffalo: Gus Johnson, Len Elmore
Oklahoma City: Kevin Harlan, Dan Bonner
Milwaukee: Ian Eagle, Jim Spanarkel
Spokane: Tim Brando, Mike Gminski
San Jose: Spiro Dedes, Bob Wenzel

weezie
03-14-2010, 10:10 PM
Have a nice beef on weck for me up there Elmore, you nimrod.

El_Diablo
03-14-2010, 10:10 PM
Glad we dodged the Elmore bullet. I don't like having to mute the TV.

SCMatt33
03-14-2010, 10:15 PM
I don't like Kellogg very much, but we avoided Elmore so I won't complain too much.

roywhite
03-14-2010, 10:21 PM
Note to recruits considering a future in broadcasting...check the representation of former Duke players...3 out of the 8 color announcers for the NCAA Tournament.

burnspbesq
03-15-2010, 12:44 AM
Dedes is the least well-known name there. He is the radio voice of the Lakers, and I think he's really good. I think you'll enjoy him.

BigZ
03-15-2010, 12:55 AM
So Duke gets the A-Team, well at least it is supposed to be, I'm sure they will do the Final Four

uh_no
03-15-2010, 01:43 AM
Note to recruits considering a future in broadcasting...check the representation of former Duke players...3 out of the 8 color announcers for the NCAA Tournament.

i'm sure every duke recruit dreams of being an announcer rather than an NBA star......but we have a few of those too....so i'm not too worried

BD80
03-15-2010, 05:07 AM

And Wenzel was an assistant coach at Duke under Foster. Great guy!

flyingdutchdevil
03-15-2010, 08:12 AM
Have a nice beef on weck for me up there Elmore, you nimrod.

I would happily take Elmore if it meant getting Gus Johnson as well (which it seems to be). Gus is fantastic, and I'm definitely on the bandwagon for fans that go crazy when he does.

gw67
03-15-2010, 08:30 AM
Six out of the eight color men have ACC backgrounds. I can't stand Kellogg although he is improved over the Kellogg that used to do color before he went to the studio for several years. I give "A+" for Verne Lundquist - Bill Raftery; Ian Eagle - Jim Spanarkel; and Tim Brando - Mike Gminski. I give an "A" to Dick Enberg - Jay Bilas; and Kevin Harlan - Dan Bonner. IMO, Enberg was the best for many years - great delivery, knowledge of the teams and college basketball and he didn't hog the air or step on fellow announcers' toes. Unfortunately, he is no longer in his prime.

I don't understand the love for Johnson. It must be an age thing. My sons like him.

gw67

slower
03-15-2010, 09:07 AM
I don't understand the love for Johnson. It must be an age thing. My sons like him.

gw67

I LOVE Gus Johnson. Kevin Harlan sounds like a parrot imitating Marv Albert.

DevilWolf
03-15-2010, 09:14 AM
I LOVE Gus Johnson. Kevin Harlan sounds like a parrot imitating Marv Albert.

Who's in Buffalo? I swear Gus Johnson always gets the upsets and buzzer beaters. FOR THE WIN!

Love that guy.

91_92_01_10_15
03-15-2010, 01:33 PM
I don't like Kellogg very much, but we avoided Elmore so I won't complain too much.

I also don't care for Special K much, but he did stick up for us when Greg Anthony was railing against us during the selection show.

J_C_Steel
03-15-2010, 01:35 PM
I would happily take Elmore if it meant getting Gus Johnson as well (which it seems to be). Gus is fantastic, and I'm definitely on the bandwagon for fans that go crazy when he does.

I'm a huge Gus Johnson fan. I love announcers that get genuinely excited and love their jobs. That's Gus.

The Sports Guy (Bill Simmons on ESPN) suggested that CBS have Gus in the studio as a "floating" announcer assigned to any close game in the last three minutes. That's the guy you want announcing a buzzer beater.

hurleyfor3
03-15-2010, 01:43 PM
IMO, Enberg was the best for many years - great delivery, knowledge of the teams and college basketball and he didn't hog the air or step on fellow announcers' toes. Unfortunately, he is no longer in his prime.

Enberg is however biased towards his alma mater of Indiana. This mattered when he did our 2002 sweet 16 game.

Anthony was railing against us during the selection show

Really? Hey Greg, go grab a seat on the bench. You fouled out.

sagegrouse
03-15-2010, 01:45 PM
i'm sure every duke recruit dreams of being an announcer rather than an NBA star......but we have a few of those too....so i'm not too worried

It is possible to be both, as was Gminski and, to a lesser extent, Spanarkel. But life doesn't end at age 30 (or 35). And, you never know.... There is JWill, who is doing just fine with his career outside of professional basketball.

sagegrouse

Verga3
03-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Typo on announcers: Should be Bob Wenzel (instead of Dan). Bob's definitely a great guy and assisted Bill Foster '75-'80 during his tenure. Bob coached Jim Spanarkel while at Duke. Proud of these guys!

arydolphin
03-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Typo on announcers: Should be Bob Wenzel (instead of Dan). Bob's definitely a great guy and assisted Bill Foster '75-'80 during his tenure. Bob coached Jim Spanarkel while at Duke. Proud of these guys!

I'll try to fix it in the original post, thanks for the correction! Somehow, I had the Yahoo writer Dan Wetzel on my mind when I typed it.