PDA

View Full Version : Play In Game Question

78Devil
03-14-2010, 10:00 PM
I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere. There is so much media and so many posts that I may have missed it.

Why is the play-in game being given to the #3 seed overall? Isn't the play-in game winner usually allocated to the #1 seed? What is the rule here?

PumpkinFunk
03-14-2010, 10:03 PM
They give the play-in game to the highest-ranked #1 seed who is playing Friday, since it's not fair to have them play Wednesday and then travel and play on Thursday.

78Devil
03-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Got it. Thanks. And so how do they decide which regionals play Thursday rather than Friday? Is it purely arbitrary?

KyDevilinIL
03-14-2010, 10:04 PM
The play-in winner always plays a Friday game, which could eliminate a one seed or two right off the bat. Then I believe they try to pair the play in game with the sub-regional site closest/easiest to reach from dayton.

El_Diablo
03-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Last year, UNC played against the play-in winner, even though Louisville had the top overall seed.

I'd prefer to know my opponent in advance, so I think the other top seeds have a slight advantage in that respect. But it's not like any of them really need it.

SCMatt33
03-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Got it. Thanks. And so how do they decide which regionals play Thursday rather than Friday? Is it purely arbitrary?

The dates are predetermined well in advance for ticket sale purposes.

Jarhead
03-14-2010, 10:09 PM
They give the play-in game to the highest-ranked #1 seed who is playing Friday, since it's not fair to have them play Wednesday and then travel and play on Thursday.That sure does fit the schedule. Pretty good answer.

El_Diablo
03-14-2010, 10:11 PM
They give the play-in game to the highest-ranked #1 seed who is playing Friday, since it's not fair to have them play Wednesday and then travel and play on Thursday.

In case anyone planned on watching, the opening round game is actually Tuesday, not Wednesday.