PDA

View Full Version : Congrats on a Successful Season

MarkD83
03-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Before we jump full force into NCAA tournament discussions (too late)...lets stop and congratulate the team on a very successful season.

Excluding the NCAAT I have several criteria I use to determine a successful and satisfying year as a fan..

1. Beat UNC (am I being petty? who cares its my list)
Put a double check here
2. Undefeated at home
Put a check here
3. Make the NCAAs as a 1 seed
Put a check here
4. Win the ACC regular season
Put a check here
5. Win the ACC Tournament
Put a check here
6. Win 30 games
One more to go

Very successful season. Winning next weeks 5 team single elimination tournament is the next goal, but for now everyone take a deep breath for at least the next 10 seconds and enjoy what the team has already accomplished.

wallyman
03-14-2010, 10:02 PM
Nice post. And, yes, what happens from now on, for better or worse, is going to outweigh what's happened so far, but this is all true and worth saluting. Congratulations to team and coaches for a quite amazing year and completely appealing cast of characters.

fisheyes
03-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Well said. Let's not forget to live in the moment!

GODUKEGO
03-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Nice post. And, yes, what happens from now on, for better or worse, is going to outweigh what's happened so far, but this is all true and worth saluting. Congratulations to team and coaches for a quite amazing year and completely appealing cast of characters.

Agree, All the wins are tremendous, the ranking and top seed etc... but I am most proud of the players. Besides their incredible talent and hard work, they are tremendous gentlemen, we can all be proud. We have the best coaches and fan's. We all should be very very appreciative!!

NSDukeFan
03-14-2010, 10:39 PM

I don't think what happens from now on will necessarily outweigh what's happened so far. I don't know that these hopefully 6 games outweigh the 34 we have already played.

Classof06
03-14-2010, 11:15 PM
Simply put, this is the best Duke team since 2006. I've had a wonderful time watching this team this season and this team has undoubtedly surpassed the expectations I had in November. Honestly, I haven't looked forward to a March like this since my senior year and I really think our boys can do some major damage.

Congrats on the regular season and best of luck goin forward to the coaches and players.

Dr. Tina
03-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Great job, Blue Devils! All of the accomplishments listed above just go to show that Duke basketball is a consistently winning program and worthy of praise. The guys should be proud of everything they've done thus far, and I hope we can do some more damage in the tournament.

miramar
03-14-2010, 11:26 PM
There has been a lot of doom and gloom the last few years, with a lot of people convinced that UNC was so far ahead of Duke (especially in recruiting) that we would never catch up. It's hard to forget the Lindy's article with the drawing of ol' Roy knocking out Coach K, not to mention the so-called expert saying that Duke would never compete with Carolina until Coach K retired.

What a difference a year makes, so I would add:

7. Changing the entire Duke-Carolina dynamic.

Classof06
03-14-2010, 11:42 PM
Simply put, this is the best Duke team since 2006. I've had a wonderful time watching this team this season and this team has undoubtedly surpassed the expectations I had in November. Honestly, I haven't looked forward to a March like this since my senior year and I really think our boys can do some major damage.

Congrats on the regular season and best of luck goin forward to the coaches and players.

juise
03-15-2010, 02:40 AM
Sometime in January (probably after one of those losses), I told myself I would be happy with Duke's season if (a) we were undefeated against Carolina and (b) we won the ACC.

It's easy to get caught up in the #1 seed and to get sense that Duke should be in the Final Four. This thread is a good reminder that we should stop and recognize what a great year it's been. How can you complain about being ACC champs and the #3 ranked team (says the coaches) in the nation?

Let's Go, Duke!

camion
03-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Before we jump full force into NCAA tournament discussions (too late)...lets stop and congratulate the team on a very successful season.

Excluding the NCAAT I have several criteria I use to determine a successful and satisfying year as a fan..

1. Beat UNC (am I being petty? who cares its my list)
Put a double check here
2. Undefeated at home
Put a check here
3. Make the NCAAs as a 1 seed
Put a check here
4. Win the ACC regular season
Put a check here
5. Win the ACC Tournament
Put a check here
6. Win 30 games
One more to go

Very successful season. Winning next weeks 5 team single elimination tournament is the next goal, but for now everyone take a deep breath for at least the next 10 seconds and enjoy what the team has already accomplished.

It's been a wonderful season so far. Here we have a team with no point guard, no speed, no athleticism, no post game, etc. and yet they've done all this. I've always subscribed to the proposition that each milestone is lauditory; each game is important. That makes for more celebrations along the way. The other thing I love about this team is that I love the kids on this team. It's so easy to pull for them. Special kudos to the seniors. They have given it everything the had, sometimes more than I thought they had.

Contratulations to this team and here's hoping for six more games.

davekay1971
03-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Excellent, excellent thread!

The team has done a great job this season, and has done everything you could ask for. And, while we celebrate a 30 win season, ACC regular season title, ACC championship, and the drubbing of our former rival (now, sadly a downtrodden and defunked shell of a once great program), let's not forget preseason NIT champions as well.

Hopefully more accomplishments are on the way, but it's been a great season and this team has already had some tremendous achievements.

moonpie23
03-15-2010, 09:18 AM
great thread......you could actually add one more.

7. Make the posters on IC delirious and froth at the mouth.......

i can't post there anymore, but some of you sill can.... :)

Scorp4me
03-15-2010, 09:46 AM
In the beginning of this season I believe the majority of posters felt this team would be no where close to being as good as they have become. Very few if any that I remember were predicted regular season champs (most felt being ranked preseason #1 was too high), touny champ, or #1 seed, and most said we'd fall short of being a final four contender.

Most of those same people will now talk about what a disappointment this team is if it doesn't make it to the final four or gasp...win it all. A completely successful season by just about any measurement and you expect me to be disappointed simply because they lose one more game? Are you kidding, not a chance. There are 65 teams left and every one of them but one is going to lose. Either way I'm happy with yet again another successful Duke season with an amazing squad of players.

airowe
03-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Great thread. I can not be disappointed with any result from here on out, even though I expect us to go far. This team has accomplished so much and has a great chemistry to boot.

I don't know the final standings for all of the dork polls, but I know we finished at #1 in the Pomeroy Dork System, so we can add that to our accomplishments as well.

Great job guys (and ladies!) and here's to more success and accomplishments along the way.

29 down, 6 more to go!

dukeimac
03-15-2010, 10:24 AM
No, no.

#7. UNC qualifies for no better than an NIT bid.
#8. UNC does not win the NIT.

To set the world on fire,

#9. UNC loses their first round NIT game at home.

Talk about mass hysteria.

4decadedukie
03-15-2010, 10:38 AM
This is a wonderful Duke team, one in which we all should have GREAT pride, and not only because of their over-achieving on court performance, but also due to their individual and collective character, attitude, selflessness, and willingness to grow throughout the season. Further, I believe this may be one of Coach K's most successful seasons as the team's leader, mentor and coach (all the Assistants are, obviously, also included in this assessment), not that the media will adequately credit him.

To illustrate our team's success during the last five months, if in mid-October (at "midnight madness") individuals suggested that Duke would be a #1 NCCA seed, there would have been deserved incredulity. This team has EARNED their reputation through continuous improvement, based principally of their intelligence, character and attitude.

J_C_Steel
03-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Here's the thing...

If a team significantly under-performs its seed in the NCAA Tournament, which is the championship tournament of the sport, then it's difficult to be satisfied with the team's performance. Sure, Duke has performed well and even exceeded expectations in many respects this year.

But Duke is a #1 seed in the tourney for the eleventh time in team history. If Duke performs up to that seeding, then it will be truly a "successful" year. If not, it will be a disappointment.

With great talent comes great expectation...

MarkD83
03-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Here's the thing...

If a team significantly under-performs its seed in the NCAA Tournament, which is the championship tournament of the sport, then it's difficult to be satisfied with the team's performance. Sure, Duke has performed well and even exceeded expectations in many respects this year.

But Duke is a #1 seed in the tourney for the eleventh time in team history. If Duke performs up to that seeding, then it will be truly a "successful" year. If not, it will be a disappointment.

With great talent comes great expectation...

Accomplishments vs expectations.

If I expect to make $1 million and only make $900,000 I am disappointed but still rich.

This team has accomplished a lot and when they return to campus in the future they will see a banner in Cameron celebrating their success. The results of the NCAA tournament can only add to the list of accomplishments not take away from it.

airowe
03-15-2010, 11:33 AM

If I expect to make $1 million and only make $900,000 I am disappointed but still rich.

This team has accomplished a lot and when they return to campus in the future they will see a banner in Cameron celebrating their success. The results of the NCAA tournament can only add to the list of accomplishments not take away from it.

Thank you. JC obviously mssed the point of this thread.

J_C_Steel
03-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Thank you. JC obviously mssed the point of this thread.

Accomplishments are revised for the postseason.

For example, in the NFL, you can go into a season thinking you're lucky to make the playoffs. But if you get the #1 seed and a bye to the divisional round, it's going to be a disappointment to your team and its fans if you're upset at home in the divisionals.

I give due credit to Duke for playing well this year, but it's not like they SIGNFICANTLY out-performed expectations. They were ACC co-favorites this year and started in the top ten. They did a bit better than that.

I expect this team to live up to its seed.

Would you call this season an unqualified success if Duke loses to Louisville in the second round? I wouldn't...

J_C_Steel
03-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Finally, I'd just like to say that I put NCAA Tournament performance at the TOP of the list of what determines the "success" of a college basketball season. Particularly at a Duke.

For example, I'd rather see (1) Duke lose to Carolina during the season, (2) finish third in the ACC, (3) bow out of the ACC Tournament in the semifinals, and then (4) make a run in the NCAA Tournament and win the NCAA title.

Wouldn't you?

And if yes, then the scale of importance should be skewed in favor of NCAA Tournament performance above all else.

To continue my NFL analogy, what good is it to be known as a team that consistently has great regular seasons but can't finish the deal in the playoffs (like the 1990s Kansas City Chiefs and 2000s Indianapolis Colts, Super Bowl XLI notwithstanding)?

airowe
03-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Accomplishments are revised for the postseason.

For example, in the NFL, you can go into a season thinking you're lucky to make the playoffs. But if you get the #1 seed and a bye to the divisional round, it's going to be a disappointment to your team and its fans if you're upset at home in the divisionals.

I give due credit to Duke for playing well this year, but it's not like they SIGNFICANTLY out-performed expectations. They were ACC co-favorites this year and started in the top ten. They did a bit better than that.

Would you call this season an unqualified success if Duke loses to Louisville in the second round? I wouldn't...

This thread is not about what may or may not happen in the second round. This is a recognition and appreciation of what has haapened up until this point. Thus, the "before we get into tournament discussion" in the beginning of the thread.

J_C_Steel
03-15-2010, 12:05 PM
This thread is not about what may or may not happen in the second round. This is a recognition and appreciation of what has haapened up until this point. Thus, the "before we get into tournament discussion" in the beginning of the thread.

Fair enough.

I guess I'm not a fan of titling a thread "Congrats on a Successful Season" before the start of the NCAA Tournament. It smacks of a lack of confidence that the season will NOT be a success from today forward. Perhaps Duke fans have been beaten down a bit by the team's lackluster performance in the NCAA Tournament in recent years...

NSDukeFan
03-15-2010, 12:12 PM

You have pretty high expectations as there is only one team that will come out of the south and any smart betting person would take the field. I would say that Duke is the most likely team to advance to the final four out of its region, but it is less likely than everyone else in the region in total.
I would definitely call this season and unqualified success if Duke loses to Louisville or California in the second round. Would that leave a sour taste in my mouth and would I be disappointed? Definitely, but in no way does that eliminate the fact that Duke swept Carolina this year, won both regular season and tournament ACC titles and (assuming one more victory) had a 30 win season. Fantastic season! Enjoy the journey, there is more than just one end destination.

Finally, I'd just like to say that I put NCAA Tournament performance at the TOP of the list of what determines the "success" of a college basketball season. Particularly at a Duke.

I would agree with you that an NCAA championship would be the top of the list of determinants of what constitutes a successful season. But, it is by no means the only criteria for determining a successful season. I certainly do not believe there will be 64 teams coming out of the tournament that will have had unsuccessful seasons.

For example, I'd rather see (1) Duke lose to Carolina during the season, (2) finish third in the ACC, (3) bow out of the ACC Tournament in the semifinals, and then (4) make a run in the NCAA Tournament and win the NCAA title.

Wouldn't you?
Yes, I probably would, but I would probably rather see your first example instead of example #2 if it was not a championship and just a birth in the final.

And if yes, then the scale of importance should be skewed in favor of NCAA Tournament performance above all else.

To continue my NFL analogy, what good is it to be known as a team that consistently has great regular seasons but can't finish the deal in the playoffs (like the 1990s Kansas City Chiefs and 2000s Indianapolis Colts, Super Bowl XLI notwithstanding)?

I agree an NCAA championship would be what I would value most for a successful season, but beyond that, NCAA tournament success does not completely determine how successful a season is. I guess I like banners, and I do think conference championships in football are worth something as well and do think the 2000s Colts and Jim Kelly Bills, to list two examples, were exceptionally successful. Just my two cents.

Atldukie79
03-15-2010, 01:20 PM
11) Break the tie with the heels for most all time ACC titles 18 - 17
12) Pass the heels on the all time ACC Tourney wins list
13) Pass the heels on the all time ACC turney winning percentage list
14) Render moot the description : "alarming unathletic"
15) Position K to pass Rupp and Smith next year on the all time wins list (can he catch Knight next year???)

I never thought I would see the day when we would surpass the heels in the 11-13 items above. Stunning, really!

J_C_Steel
03-15-2010, 01:26 PM
You have pretty high expectations as there is only one team that will come out of the south and any smart betting person would take the field. I would say that Duke is the most likely team to advance to the final four out of its region, but it is less likely than everyone else in the region in total.

My point there is that I want to Duke to live up to the #1 seed. I agree that the Final Four is a harsh line to draw in terms of expectations of a #1 seed, particularly based on the aggregate probability of another team getting through, but with a very high seed comes very high expectations.

I would definitely call this season and unqualified success if Duke loses to Louisville or California in the second round. Would that leave a sour taste in my mouth and would I be disappointed? Definitely, but in no way does that eliminate the fact that Duke swept Carolina this year, won both regular season and tournament ACC titles and (assuming one more victory) had a 30 win season. Fantastic season! Enjoy the journey, there is more than just one end destination.

To me, Duke losing as a #1 seed to a #8 or #9 seeded team would detract from the overall success of the season. Just like Duke's losses to a #11 seed (as a #6 seed), a #7 seed (as a #2 seed), and #4 seed (as the overall #1 seed) detracted from the team's overall success in those seasons.

And in my opinion, that's not a bad thing. Duke has earned its high expectations through its consistently solid performance. I would rather be a fan of a team like Duke -- a team that is not satisfied (and whose fans are not satisfied) with just winning conference titles and beating its rival -- than a less accomplished team that is more easily satisfied.

I would agree with you that an NCAA championship would be the top of the list of determinants of what constitutes a successful season. But, it is by no means the only criteria for determining a successful season. I certainly do not believe there will be 64 teams coming out of the tournament that will have had unsuccessful seasons.

It's not the only criterion, but it's the MOST IMPORTANT criterion. And I never said Duke had to win the title to be successful; I said that I believe Duke has to live up to its seed to truly call the 2009-10 season an unqualified success. Whether it's fair or not, to me that means the Final Four.

Yes, I probably would, but I would probably rather see your first example instead of example #2 if it was not a championship and just a birth in the final.

That was merely an example. I'd call the year an unqualified success if Duke makes it to the Final Four.

I agree an NCAA championship would be what I would value most for a successful season, but beyond that, NCAA tournament success does not completely determine how successful a season is. I guess I like banners, and I do think conference championships in football are worth something as well and do think the 2000s Colts and Jim Kelly Bills, to list two examples, were exceptionally successful. Just my two cents.

I like banners. They're neat.

But I'm from Pittsburgh, home of the Steelers. That's one team that doesn't hang division title "banners." The Steelers don't hang conference championship "banners," either. The Pittsburgh Steelers hang Super Bowl champion banners. Everything else is considered a failure. Is that fair? No. I am happy to be a fan of a team with such a high bar for success? Abso-frickin-lutely.

MarkD83
03-15-2010, 01:40 PM
I appreciate your bringing up the Steelers. I am from the other end of the state and was growing up in the 1970s and had to claim the Steelers because the Eagles were bad.

When I look at Duke, however, the kids make up a different team every year and they only get 4 chances for an ACC regular season or Tourney championship and 8 scheduled games agains UNC. For them this year's accomplishments are a measure of a successful year.

For Coach K, I may hold him to a higher standard but his resume still says 12 ACC titles instead of 11 so he has benefited.

Think of it this way, if the Steelers had to turn over their roster every 4 years things may have been different in the 1970s.

Anyway, I hope for more success in the next few weeks as do you.

J_C_Steel
03-15-2010, 01:48 PM
I appreciate your bringing up the Steelers. I am from the other end of the state and was growing up in the 1970s and had to claim the Steelers because the Eagles were bad.

When I look at Duke, however, the kids make up a different team every year and they only get 4 chances for an ACC regular season or Tourney championship and 8 scheduled games agains UNC. For them this year's accomplishments are a measure of a successful year.

For Coach K, I may hold him to a higher standard but his resume still says 12 ACC titles instead of 11 so he has benefited.

Think of it this way, if the Steelers had to turn over their roster every 4 years things may have been different in the 1970s.

Anyway, I hope for more success in the next few weeks as do you.

Interestingly enough, I think the NFL is a good analogy because the average career length in the NFL is -- wait for it -- four years.

Sure, you get to keep your "stars" longer, but you also have to deal with more frequent injuries and substantial roster turnover. Plus, there is a salary cap that prevents one team from hoarding talent. There is no "cap" in college basketball and, in fact, the top teams are able to consistently out-recruit the other teams.

I'm proud of the kids on this Duke team, but I feel like they aren't done yet.

ForkFondler
03-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Here's my scoring system:

Beating UNC +1, Losing -1
Regular Season: +2 (+1 for co-championship)
ACC Tourney Title: +1 (+/- 1 for UNC)
NCAA: +1 for appearance, +1 for Sweet 16, +1 for Final Four, +1 for NC

Here's how that adds up:

1980 - 1981: -2
1981 - 1982: -2
1982 - 1983: -2
1983 - 1984: 0
1984 - 1985: 1
1985 - 1986: 6
1986 - 1987: 0
1987 - 1988: 7
1988 - 1989: 2
1989 - 1990: 1
1990 - 1991: 7
1991 - 1992: 8
1992 - 1993: 1
1993 - 1994: 3
1994 - 1995: -2
1995 - 1996: -1
1996 - 1997: 3
1997 - 1998: 3
1998 - 1999: 9
1999 - 2000: 7
2000 - 2001: 7
2001 - 2002: 6
2002 - 2003: 4
2003 - 2004: 7
2004 - 2005: 3
2005 - 2006: 5
2006 - 2007: -1
2007 - 2008: 1
2008 - 2009: 1
2009 - 2010: 5, so far

MarkD83
03-15-2010, 05:52 PM

Here's how that adds up:

Maybe this explains my optimism for beating UNC twice, an ACC regular season and an ACC tournament title. These three seasons were my sophomore, junior and senior years.

mike88
03-15-2010, 06:17 PM
I vowed in 2006 to make sure I fully appreciated every championship (pre-season tournament, ACC regular season, ACC tournament, regional NCAA, and Final Four), because if your only definition of success is winning the NCAA tournament, you will be disappointed almost all of the time.

It is always a little sad to see the season coming to a close, but this year has been especially gratifying for reasons that other posters have brought up - this team has come together very well, the coaching staff has done a great job of taking advantage of its strengths and limiting its weaknesses, and we have gotten better as the season goes along. I am going to try to remember that as the NCAAT starts; I hope we can advance to the Elite Eight, and for me, anything beyond that will be gravy.

Dukeface88
03-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Interestingly enough, I think the NFL is a good analogy because the average career length in the NFL is -- wait for it -- four years.

Sure, you get to keep your "stars" longer, but you also have to deal with more frequent injuries and substantial roster turnover. Plus, there is a salary cap that prevents one team from hoarding talent. There is no "cap" in college basketball and, in fact, the top teams are able to consistently out-recruit the other teams.

I'm proud of the kids on this Duke team, but I feel like they aren't done yet.

But 4 years is the max in college - the average is lower. And chances are that it's your best players that are leaving, whether it's your experienced leaders or your most talented pro prospects, not guys that get cut because you have a replacement already lined up.

Magnolia888
03-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Every year I put someone's preseason prediction (or comments)in my calendar to pop up in March, after the ACC Tournament but before the NCAA Tournament. Last August, I put in the following from some jerk Southern sportswriter whose name I forgot to save (but who cares):

Here you go (http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2009/08/06/dick-vitale-already-riding-the-duke-bandwagon-hard/). It's from the Big Lead, a sports blog or something, dated August 6, 2009.

Love this comment:

Just imagine how good Duke would be if Jon Scheyer was an ACC-caliber player. Too bad he didn’t just go play at a mid-major, where he belongs.

Scorp4me
03-15-2010, 07:53 PM
I said that I believe Duke has to live up to its seed to truly call the 2009-10 season an unqualified success. Whether it's fair or not, to me that means the Final Four.

So despite a season that saw Duke play 34 games and win 29 of those...you're going to base the success on the next four games? On winning the next four games specifically cause if you lose once you're out. That's more than harsh =)

Duke Parent 06
03-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Here you go (http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2009/08/06/dick-vitale-already-riding-the-duke-bandwagon-hard/). It's from the Big Lead, a sports blog or something, dated August 6, 2009.

Love this comment:

That's what it's all about in August. So much time left 'til the season starts, and there is still mostly dreck to read -- except mostly for right here!

snowdenscold
03-16-2010, 05:37 AM

Wow, fascinating to read in retrospect. Just goes to show you opinions are like .... well you know the rest.

Unfortunately they don't say which writer put that up - but someone should email the editor with it and say "ummmmmmm........."

JStuart
03-16-2010, 07:12 AM
Maybe I've overlooked it, but has anyone also pointed out that Duke has both Men's and Women's ACC Championships for the year? If UNC had done that, it'd be plastered all over the place.
Has any other ACC school accomplished this in the same year?

devildownunder
03-16-2010, 07:17 AM

To this point in the season, only someone with wildly unrealistic expectations could possibly have expected or wanted more out of this team. They've been fantastic.

Here's to them:cool:

camion
03-16-2010, 07:50 AM

I find that scoring system pretty harsh. If you're going to go with a point system I think it's silly to place half your eggs in a single one-and-done tournament. Such a tournament is a lousy gauge of a season's quality. If you're going with a points system. I'd give points for 20, 25, 30 wins, making the top 3 in the ACC regular season, making the ACC tournament finals, and bonus points for particular games. I'd also give points for player accomplishments. In the ACC finals I think the Scheyer shot deserves a point. I sure got a rush out of it.

I guess I'm just going to be happier than you after most seasons.

Indoor66
03-16-2010, 08:18 AM
Maybe I've overlooked it, but has anyone also pointed out that Duke has both Men's and Women's ACC Championships for the year? If UNC had done that, it'd be plastered all over the place.
Has any other ACC school accomplished this in the same year?

IRRC, Duke did won both in 1999.

greybeard
03-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Let's add tremendous growth by individuals as players, leaders, and team contributers, twists and turns in how the team plays, and once again an attack that is as unusual as they come, with Z playing a role that makes opposing centers work their butts off to show on so many screens they leave thinking they're working as window installers. (ugh) ;)

J_C_Steel
03-16-2010, 10:31 AM
So despite a season that saw Duke play 34 games and win 29 of those...you're going to base the success on the next four games? On winning the next four games specifically cause if you lose once you're out. That's more than harsh =)

It's harsh.

I thought the Steelers were disappointing in the 2004 season when they went 15-1 and lost in the AFC Championship game to New England (getting blown out 41-27). That's harsh.

But I love being a fan of teams with such high bars for SUCCESS.

J_C_Steel
03-16-2010, 10:33 AM

Here's how that adds up:

1983 - 1984: 0
1984 - 1985: 1
1985 - 1986: 6
1986 - 1987: 0
1987 - 1988: 7
1988 - 1989: 2
1989 - 1990: 1
1990 - 1991: 7
1991 - 1992: 8
1992 - 1993: 1
1993 - 1994: 3
1994 - 1995: -2
1995 - 1996: -1
1996 - 1997: 3
1997 - 1998: 3
1998 - 1999: 9
1999 - 2000: 7
2000 - 2001: 7
2001 - 2002: 6
2002 - 2003: 4
2003 - 2004: 7
2004 - 2005: 3
2005 - 2006: 5
2006 - 2007: -1
2007 - 2008: 1
2008 - 2009: 1
2009 - 2010: 5, so far

Wait. Under your criteria, the '98-99 season, which ended with a heavily favored Duke team losing to Connecticut in the final game, was BETTER than the '00-01 season, which ended with a national championship?

That's insane.

The national championship should be +4, not +1. That might fix things a bit.

J_C_Steel
03-16-2010, 10:35 AM
I find that scoring system pretty harsh. If you're going to go with a point system I think it's silly to place half your eggs in a single one-and-done tournament. Such a tournament is a lousy gauge of a season's quality. If you're going with a points system. I'd give points for 20, 25, 30 wins, making the top 3 in the ACC regular season, making the ACC tournament finals, and bonus points for particular games. I'd also give points for player accomplishments. In the ACC finals I think the Scheyer shot deserves a point. I sure got a rush out of it.

I guess I'm just going to be happier than you after most seasons.

The tournament is not a "lousy gauge of a season's quality" at all. It's the CHAMPIONSHIP of the ENTIRE SPORT. By definition, it's the most important part of the season. For most teams, they spend the entire season TRYING TO GET INTO THE TOURNAMENT.

When you're a traditionally elite team like Duke, the success of the season must be tied to the NCAA Tournament.

airowe
03-16-2010, 10:43 AM
The tournament is not a "lousy gauge of a season's quality" at all. It's the CHAMPIONSHIP of the ENTIRE SPORT. By definition, it's the most important part of the season. For most teams, they spend the entire season TRYING TO GET INTO THE TOURNAMENT.

When you're a traditionally elite team like Duke, the success of the season must be tied to the NCAA Tournament.

My cornflakes taste a lot better with milk.

I can both appreciate our regular season accomplishments and opine for more success in the NCAA Tourney. If you can't, that's fine, but this is one guy you're not going to convince that its okay to do both. I don't understand this quest of yours to not allow people to enjoy the journey and only focus on the destination.

I'm not going to tell you what kind of standard to set for this team to make you feel satisfied. That is your right. Why do you feel like your expectations for success are the only ones that are okay? Give it a rest dude.

ForkFondler
03-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Wait. Under your criteria, the '98-99 season, which ended with a heavily favored Duke team losing to Connecticut in the final game, was BETTER than the '00-01 season, which ended with a national championship?

That's insane.

The national championship should be +4, not +1. That might fix things a bit.

I could see +2, maybe, but no way would I trade the three-sweep for another Langdon three pointer.

Maybe also plus +1 for winning an 8-16 team preseason tournament (e.g. NIT, Rainbow).

Really, the point is that a good season doesn't revolve around one game.

noyac
03-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Quantifying a team's success might be ok for some of you but the way I look at it is "Did this Duke team exceed expectations?" I would have to say they already have in my book and in Coach K's mind I am sure we have too. We have won or shared every possible championship we have been a part of up to this point (Pre-Season NIT, ACC regular season co-champ, and ACC Tournament Champs).

I bet if you look back at your own preseason predictions none of them would have included us being a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament, to me that means this season is a success no matter what transpires from this point forward.

To say that this season is not a success because of an arbitrary scoring system or if we do not make the FF is IMO absurd (I don't mean to offend anyone). You should not change what you consider a successful season because the team has exceeded your preseason expectations.

mgtr
03-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Let's add tremendous growth by individuals as players, leaders, and team contributers, twists and turns in how the team plays, and once again an attack that is as unusual as they come, with Z playing a role that makes opposing centers work their butts off to show on so many screens they leave thinking they're working as window installers. (ugh) ;)

I have to cast my lot right here! Six months ago I had minimal expectations for this team and for the players (except Singler). Zoubs, Lance, Nolan and particularly Jon have stepped up big time. This is a season they will remember forever regardless of what happens in the next three weeks. Sure, it would be great to win it all, but I am happy with the accomplishment so far. I expect they will go further than they have, but lets celebrate what we already have.

dukelifer
03-16-2010, 04:56 PM
I have to cast my lot right here! Six months ago I had minimal expectations for this team and for the players (except Singler). Zoubs, Lance, Nolan and particularly Jon have stepped up big time. This is a season they will remember forever regardless of what happens in the next three weeks. Sure, it would be great to win it all, but I am happy with the accomplishment so far. I expect they will go further than they have, but lets celebrate what we already have.

Less than two months ago- knowledgeable folks on this board were wondering if Duke would even win ONE road game and thought we would be lucky to get to 9-7 in the ACC. Now folks are talking about not getting to the FF as a disappointment. To be honest- a team with two real guards with any experience- one transformed into a point guard at the tail end of last season- a small forward who played power forward who had to learn to play on the perimeter this season- two inside players who have had spotty careers on the offensive side of the court and a group of freshman (one of which should still be in high school and went through a challenging personal tragedy)-and a single sophomore (after one transferred mid season)- has REALLY over-achieved because of a great coach and excellent chemistry. To rank this team with the great Duke teams of the past is really not fair. How this team survived a season with only two real guards playing 35+ mpg is amazing. This is a solid team- one that plays hard and leaves everything on the court. Any talk about this team not making a FF as keeping this from being a great season (which was the topic of much of talk radio this morning) is silly. The mid season expectation of this team was just to finish in the top half of the ACC. This team has far exceeded my pre-season and mid season expectations. From here on out- it is just whether Duke can get on a roll. If they shoot well- they can go far.

hq2
03-16-2010, 07:55 PM
1) Break the tie with the heels for most all time ACC titles 18 - 17
12) Pass the heels on the all time ACC Tourney wins list
13) Pass the heels on the all time ACC turney winning percentage list
14) Render moot the description : "alarming unathletic"
15) Position K to pass Rupp and Smith next year on the all time wins list (can he catch Knight next year???)

I never thought I would see the day when we would surpass the heels in the 11-13 items above.

Hey big fella! My sentiments from up here in Sudbury, MA exactly! Nothing could be finer. Would we ever have thought this that day in County Stadium in '74? (The 8 points in 17 seconds game day?)