PDA

View Full Version : MBB: East Regional Discussion (Kentucky #1 Seed)

Troublemaker
03-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Please place East regional thoughts here.

COYS
03-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Wow, Texas will be a tough second round matchup for Kentucky. Texas may have tailed off at the end, but they have the talent to hang with the cats. I'm glad we didn't get texas in the second round again.

ice-9
03-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Very tough draw for Kentucky.

WVU will easily get by New Mexico and is the strongest #2 seed. Wisconsin/Temple is a very, very tough Sweet Sixteen. Texas is obviously a dangerous second round.

RockLobster
03-14-2010, 07:42 PM
I honestly don't look for UK to get past the Sweet 16.

Too inconsistent, undisciplined, and inexperienced. If Texas doesn't take care of them in Round 2, I think Wisconsin will in the next round.

KyDevilinIL
03-14-2010, 08:25 PM
From the second round forward, every game Kentucky plays will be against the best team it has faced this season.

SCMatt33
03-14-2010, 08:29 PM
I know people like 12/5 upsets, and Cornell will be a popular pick, because they played Kansas tough and Temple is a mid-major, albeit a very good one. But I think Temple will easily get to the sweet 16 and could give UK trouble in Syracuse. Fran Dunphy is an excellent coach, and should get past Cornell. Remember, Dunphy spent many years down the road at Penn and knows the Ivy League very well. They could run around the big guys of Wisconsin and have experience, going to the tournament for the third straight year. Kentucky better watch out for these guys.

Classof06
03-14-2010, 08:56 PM
People talk abut UK's freshman not having experience, but keep in mind that Patrick Patterson has also never played an NCAA tournament game. UK missed the tourney last year and when they made it in 2008, Patterson sat out with a broken foot.

I honestly don't know what make of UK; I can see them losing in the 2nd round and I can also see them winning it all. We shall see..

Classof06
03-14-2010, 08:59 PM
From the second round forward, every game Kentucky plays will be against the best team it has faced this season.

Great point. I think this is where the nation finds out just how fraudulent the SEC was this season.

Newton_14
03-14-2010, 09:17 PM
Great point. I think this is where the nation finds out just how fraudulent the SEC was this season.

Which is why Florida getting in over Va Tech was a shaft job by the committee. But enough with that.

I think this region has a similarity to our region in that the 2 Seed seemingly has an easier match up in the 2nd Rd than the 1 Seed does. It's crazy. I could easily see Kentucky going down to Texas. Texas has way more talent than any team Kentucky has seen all year long.

I agree wholeheartedly with the point KDevilIL made as well. Kentucky will start seeing tougher teams in Rd 2 than they have seen all year long. They have great talent but they are young and volatile. How will they respond if someone knocks them back early in a game? Or if they get in a game where seemingly every call is going against them ala the Duke situation against Miami Saturday?

I can see them panicking or coming apart at the seams if the going gets tough. Will be interesting to see. However, on the other side of that coin, the further they make it, the more confidence they will gain, which could make them tough to deal with.

Philsfan
03-14-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm a Temple alum and crave a shot at Calipari. Die, UK, die!

NSDukeFan
03-14-2010, 10:45 PM
I also agree this is an interesting observation and will be interesting to watch how this unfolds. I agree with the poster who said they could see Kentucky losing in the second round, or winning the whole thing, or anything in between.

Wow, Texas will be a tough second round matchup for Kentucky. Texas may have tailed off at the end, but they have the talent to hang with the cats. I'm glad we didn't get texas in the second round again.

What a great matchup of very talented teams! Of course this depends on who underachieves more in the first round, Wake or Texas. The other thing that jumped out at me from this group was what a fun game Missouri and Clemson should be in the first round, pressing, trapping, running, could be a lot of fun. I was surprised to see West Virginia here in Kentucky's bracket as I figured it would be either them or OSU as our 2 seed, if we got #1.

SCMatt33
03-14-2010, 11:01 PM
I'm a Temple alum and crave a shot at Calipari. Die, UK, die!

Being from the Philly area, I can't believe I forgot about that. Could John Chaney make Fran Dunphy send in the goons if they're losing.

ice-9
03-14-2010, 11:39 PM

Same as us from the third round forward!

Troublemaker
03-14-2010, 11:42 PM
East Regional first round game point spreads.

NCAA Basketball - Thu 3/18

Thu 3/18 713 E Tennessee St +20 -102
12:00 AM 714 Kentucky -20 -108

Thu 3/18 715 Wake Forest +4 -106
12:00 AM 716 Texas -4 -104

Thu 3/18 733 Montana +9.5 -109
12:00 AM 734 New Mexico -9.5 -101

Thu 3/18 735 Washington U +1.5 -106
12:00 AM 736 Marquette -1.5 -104

NCAA Basketball - Fri 3/19

Fri 3/19 827 Morgan State +17.5 -108
12:00 AM 828 West Virginia -17.5 -102

Fri 3/19 829 Missouri pk -105
12:00 AM 830 Clemson pk -105

Fri 3/19 831 Cornell +4 -101
12:00 AM 832 Temple -4 -109

Fri 3/19 833 Wofford +9 -102
12:00 AM 834 Wisconsin -9 -108

superdave
03-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Wow. WV is the bandwagon pick in this poll. They seem to be playing as well as anyone right now and have Butler who is clutch.

I agree with many of the people here on UK - undisciplined, young and from the weak SEC.

Could this be the bracket where a true wild card makes the FF? Wisco?

Duke79UNLV77
03-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Talent, talent, talent. I recall seeing that most NCAA champions have 4 or more NBA players. Kentucky has the #1 pick in the draft, top 3 pick, lottery pick, and another 1st rounder this year if he wants to be, plus some solid role players.

Wall has shown he does not panic in end-game situations, and Cousins, while a headcase, is a very tough matchup.

airowe
03-18-2010, 11:40 AM
I am so excited to see either Cousins vs McFarland or Pittman or Wall vs Ish Smith (the two fastest PGs in the tourney).

Either way the 2nd round game will have plenty of fireworks!

flyingdutchdevil
03-18-2010, 11:45 AM
I am so excited to see either Cousins vs McFarland or Pittman or Wall vs Ish Smith (the two fastest PGs in the tourney).

Either way the 2nd round game will have plenty of fireworks!

A volatile Cousins vs. a cheap-shot McFarland? Odds that Cousins gets a technical / flagrant foul / tossed from the game?

theAlaskanBear
03-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Same as us from the third round forward!

You mean the elite eight? Because Duke has played a very strong georgetown, wisconsin, and MD this year. Georgetown is Wisconsin could be tougher teams than whomever we beat in the elite eight.

dukelifer
03-18-2010, 12:05 PM
A volatile Cousins vs. a cheap-shot McFarland? Odds that Cousins gets a technical / flagrant foul / tossed from the game?

Clearly a very interesting matchup either with Texas or Wake- Looking forward to seeing that game.

theAlaskanBear
03-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Clearly a very interesting matchup either with Texas or Wake- Looking forward to seeing that game.

With UNC out of the tourney this year, I can finally root for all ACC teams to go as far as they can! I don't hold out much hope for Wake, but I am pulling for Florida St and Maryland to make deep runs. It wont happen, but man if Clemson could pull an upset over WV!

MChambers
03-19-2010, 08:17 AM

Man, the refs are going to earn their keep in that game. Totally combustible.

whereinthehellami
03-19-2010, 09:03 AM
Good job by Wake. Wake can give Ky some problems. Wake has some physical, long athletes that can bother Ky. Ish smith might also be one of the few guys who keep up with Wall. And as was already pointed out Mcfarland gets to work his mojo on the volatile cousins. With all that said I still think Ky wins somewhat easily. But Wake has the tools and if they play hard and together I wouldn't be suprised if they pulled an Ohio.

MChambers
03-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Good job by Wake. Wake can give Ky some problems. Wake has some physical, long athletes that can bother Ky. Ish smith might also be one of the few guys who keep up with Wall. And as was already pointed out Mcfarland gets to work his mojo on the volatile cousins. With all that said I still think Ky wins somewhat easily. But Wake has the tools and if they play hard and together I wouldn't be suprised if they pulled an Ohio.

I'm already shocked that Wake beat Texas, but with Wake's offense and limited depth, I can't see them staying with Kentucky. I'll root for them, though.

airowe
03-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Anyone know what time the weigh-in is for the McFarland/Cousins battle is?

If not, how about the Smith/Wall race?

Matches
03-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Hate to say it but IMO Kentucky looks really good. Granted their competition last night was weak but they looked really strong.

KyDevilinIL
03-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Hate to say it but IMO Kentucky looks really good. Granted their competition last night was weak but they looked really strong.

They did, but I bet a dollar Eric Bledsoe doesn't make eight straight 3-pointers again.

Matches
03-19-2010, 11:23 AM
They did, but I bet a dollar Eric Bledsoe doesn't make eight straight 3-pointers again.

Oh, no doubt. Wall + Cousins + Patterson looks like a load to handle, though. I can't imagine Wake beating them.

-bdbd
03-19-2010, 11:25 AM

Yes, but... I think a lot of that is Calipari laying it on to send a message (of intimidation) to future opponents. I actually believe that Wake has the talent/match-ups to stay with KY. Yes, certainly watch the matchup with Cousins. KY's youth will eventually cost them in a close game somewhere along the line.

Honestly, I am hoping that Duke "sends a message" tonight as well, to get potential opponents thinking about us too!! :rolleyes::eek:

KyDevilinIL
03-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Oh, no doubt. Wall + Cousins + Patterson looks like a load to handle, though. I can't imagine Wake beating them.

No, Wake would have to play out of its natural mind, I think.

As many have said, I'm not sure Kentucky's all that worried about athletic – but not all that great – teams such as Wake or what Texas would have been. But bruising, slower teams such as Wisc/Temple/WVa potentially, especially with two of them potentially back-to-back, could be a problem. Then, a team that's just flat-out good, like Kansas, could be an issue.

I don't see Wall causing too many freshman problems for UK, really, but even though I think Cousins doesn't always get a fair shake in the court of public opinion, I'd be shocked if they make it through the tournament without him doing something really stupid and costly. He seems like a nice enough guy off the court, but just not all that smart.

Patterson, though, is an absolutely great guy. I'm still sad we didn't get him. He would have been a good player and a good fit. Oh well.

moonpie23
03-20-2010, 10:02 AM
even tho they played BARELY well enough to beat texas.....i can't see them putting it together for an entire game.....

alas, uk HAS been putting it together more and more..

maybe a good fistfight with mcfarland and cousins...

slower
03-20-2010, 10:28 AM

Hard to imagine something NOT happening between those two. Looking forward to it. :D

Will also be interesting to see if Ish Smith can do anything with Wall. This game could be vastly entertaining.

-jk
03-20-2010, 10:31 AM
even tho they played BARELY well enough to beat texas.....i can't see them putting it together for an entire game.....

alas, uk HAS been putting it together more and more..

Wake has neither better players nor a better coach. Their style isn't enough of an outlier to play mind games with UK.

I'd be surprised if it's not UK by more than 10.

-jk

NSDukeFan
03-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Anyone know what time the weigh-in is for the McFarland/Cousins battle is?

If not, how about the Smith/Wall race?

I also like the idea of an Aminu-Patterson match-up. I agree with most that I don't think Wake will win, or maybe even come within 10, but I think they will be one of the better teams UK has faced this year, so could be an entertaining game.

Indoor66
03-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Fearless prediction: Wake plays a great game and beats KY!

OldSchool
03-20-2010, 10:51 AM
It is well within Wake's capability to win this game. Wake is the same team that early in the season flew to Gonzaga and beat them on their home court.

The difficulty Wake has is playing smart basketball. They have all the pieces necessary to beat Kentucky, as long as everyone stays within their roles and doesn't try to do things outside their comfort zone. Ish, no jacking up wild threes. Few useless fouls by the bigs. Use the shooters like Stewart. Pay attention to where Wall is so he doesn't pick your pocket.

Looking forward to this game.

MChambers
03-21-2010, 07:56 PM
Hey Greybeard,

We are all Big Red Bears this week. Hoping for a monumental upset of Kentucky. Ivy League vs. the ultimate cheater school.

Where can I get a shirt in Washington, D.C.?

lotusland
03-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Kentucky fans are feeling cocky. They want Duke in the final four. I hope they get us!

http://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1383&tid=141287022&mid=141287022&sid=888&style=2

DevilHorns
03-21-2010, 09:30 PM
Kentucky fans are feeling cocky. They want Duke in the final four. I hope they get us!

http://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1383&tid=141287022&mid=141287022&sid=888&style=2

Interesting. They shouldn't look so far ahead. This Cornell team is for realz. They are not scared of anyone. Remember they almost took out KU away. They handled Wisc with ease. I hope UK looks ahead, because then they'll get smacked.

NM Duke Fan
03-21-2010, 09:34 PM
I am REALLY looking forward to the Cornell-Kentucky game. Seniors who are exceptionally fundamentally sound in every aspect of a team game, against certain underclassmen who have been known to get rattled when teams don't get overwhelmed by their speed and power. Cornell can play with anyone, and the pressure will be on Kentucky.

Hermy-own
03-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Interesting how the KY thread devolved into them throwing personal insults at each other by the end of the page. Not sure why they are so confident of beating us.

gumbomoop
03-22-2010, 01:28 AM
Interesting. They shouldn't look so far ahead. This Cornell team is for realz. They are not scared of anyone. Remember they almost took out KU away. They handled Wisc with ease. I hope UK looks ahead, because then they'll get smacked.

Agree with this, and with similar thoughts from NM Duke Fan. It appears that Cornell has 9 seniors[!], of whom 6-7 play lots and lots. They have some size, and obviously can shoot.

Hard to imagine a peeking UK losing to Cornell, but maybe with a 10 pm tip-off Thurs eve, that will be after the normal bedtime for the very young Cats, and they'll play sleepy.