PDA

View Full Version : Latest Bubble Watch

rotogod00
03-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Lunardi's latest has Virginia Tech out, replaced by Illinois.

Last 3 in: Utah St., Minnesota, Illinois
Last 3 out: V Tech, Mississippi St., Florida

Lulu
03-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Yeah, but what ridiculous reasoning. If GT beats us, VT goes in. That's pretty dang weak - and if that were the reasoning the committee used I'd die if I were VT.

I wonder if he'll take IL back out if Ohio St. falls to Minn.??

rotogod00
03-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Yeah, but what ridiculous reasoning. If GT beats us, VT goes in. That's pretty dang weak - and if that were the reasoning the committee used I'd die if I were VT.

I wonder if he'll take IL back out if Ohio St. falls to Minn.??

Did he say that? I couldn't hear the TV when he was talking. What was his reasoning? That they would have lost to the ACCT champion?

CDu
03-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Lunardi always misses on a couple of bubble teams anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much over the minutia.

Lulu
03-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Yeah, he said that if VT had claimed a win over the ACC champs there were in. ...So I guess yesterday he was assuming GT would beat us.

JaMarcus Russell
03-14-2010, 03:54 PM
I really don't like Illinois over Mississippi State. The rest sounds pretty reasonable though.

Lulu
03-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Maybe there are some MidWesterners who can help me out here. Do they not show the selection show in the midwest, cause it looks like it's overridden by the evening news. Guess I'll see if CBS puts in online. Considering how much CBS has paid for the tournament coverage (which is right up there on the list of evils in college bball) I'm suprised they can't hold the news for an hour like they'd do for a live sporting event (I hope).

DukeGirl4ever
03-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Look out...it looks like Seth "I'm pleading for my life" Greenburg will be on YET AGAIN to state his case for VT.

Give it a rest, Seth. Go out and play somebody!

rotogod00
03-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Look out...it looks like Seth "I'm pleading for my life" Greenburg will be on YET AGAIN to state his case for VT.

yup, non-conference SS of 344 out of 347 won't cut it
(btw, miami had the worst)

InSpades
03-14-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm convinced that whenever Lunardi makes a mysterious change at the last minute (like VA Tech falling out due to Duke winning the ACC title) that he's got some inside info. It will be interesting to see the final result.

YourLandlord
03-14-2010, 04:06 PM

They actually did, they beat four OOC BCS teams.

It's not their fault that those teams happened to suck this year when they would normally be decent.

DukeGirl4ever
03-14-2010, 04:12 PM
It's not their fault that those teams happened to suck this year when they would normally be decent.

Which goes back to the fact that they didn't play anybody.

I do agree with you, they can't help that those teams SUCKED this year. They scheduled some teams with expectations of having a decent year. Key word being decent. But if they don't want to be on the bubble watch every year, they need to go out and play teams that you KNOW have a good chance at not sucking, which would be the better than decent teams.

pamtar
03-14-2010, 04:13 PM

To quote Jay Bilas, "who's fault is it?"

FireOgilvie
03-14-2010, 04:15 PM

Uh, no. Georgia, Penn State, Iowa, and Seton Hall are ALWAYS terrible. They're lucky Temple was good this year, but they lost to them.

El_Diablo
03-14-2010, 04:21 PM

Well, they didn't choose to play Iowa--that was given to them in the Challenge.

The other ones--Georgia, Penn State, and Seton Hall--are not normally very good. Add in the crap filler (Longwood, VMI, UMBC, CHSO, NCCU) and it's just de(s)serts for VT if they don't get the call today.

wolfpackdevil
03-14-2010, 04:26 PM
If ANYBODY on this board think that Utah State is better than Virginia Tech, you are out of you're minde.

There is no way Utah State deserves to be in the tournament more than VT. If Utah State played in the ACC they would have finished dead last, no question about it.

VT is a better team. Don't hurt their players because their AD made an easy schedule. That team is good enough to make a run to the sweet sixteen, and they should be in.

El_Diablo
03-14-2010, 04:33 PM
If ANYBODY on this board think that Utah State is better than Virginia Tech, you are out of you're minde.

There is no way Utah State deserves to be in the tournament more than VT. If Utah State played in the ACC they would have finished dead last, no question about it.

VT is a better team. Don't hurt their players because their AD made an easy schedule. That team is good enough to make a run to the sweet sixteen, and they should be in.

VT could also flame out in the first round.

The VT players lost by double digits to Temple and UNC, and lost 4 out of their last six games. Keeping the team out isn't penalizing them one bit.

InSpades
03-14-2010, 04:35 PM

The VT players lost by double digits to Temple and UNC, and lost 4 out of their last six games. Keeping the team out isn't penalizing them one bit.

Any of the teams on the bubble are expected to "flame out" in the first round. They will all be like 12 seeds.

El_Diablo
03-14-2010, 04:36 PM
VT also had the easiest regular season ACC schedule possible. Two games each against:

-Virginia
-NC State
-Miami
-BC
-UNC

And a third game against Miami in the ACC tournament, which they lost.

rotogod00
03-14-2010, 04:36 PM

temple happens to be a good team. 2 losses to miami and a 20-pointer to BC (rpi of 123) are not good.

RoyalBlue08
03-14-2010, 04:37 PM
I can't wait until next season when we are arguing about schools with even few wins and whether or not the should be in the tournament....

El_Diablo
03-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Any of the teams on the bubble are expected to "flame out" in the first round. They will all be like 12 seeds.

Which was my point. :)

El_Diablo
03-14-2010, 04:42 PM
temple happens to be a good team. 2 losses to miami and a 20-pointer to BC (rpi of 123) are not good.

I agree that Temple is a good team. But losing to good teams and beating up on cupcakes is not the way to the committee's heart.

We'll see...I think they have a decent chance still. But VT did not make a great case for themselves, especially recently.

DukeGirl4ever
03-14-2010, 04:44 PM
I can't wait until next season when we are arguing about schools with even few wins and whether or not the should be in the tournament....

UGH! PLEASE don't remind me. I am dreading the tournament if we expand to 96 teams.

Damn money hungry sports people! :(

rotogod00
03-14-2010, 04:48 PM
I agree that Temple is a good team. But losing to good teams and beating up on cupcakes is not the way to the committee's heart.

We'll see...I think they have a decent chance still. But VT did not make a great case for themselves, especially recently.

of course not. having no Ws against the top 25 kills them