PDA

View Full Version : It's a great day to be a Mountaineer

rthomas
03-13-2010, 11:47 PM
That's all I'm saying.

http://media.nj.com/rutgersbasketball_main/photo/dasean-butler-west-virginia-6251c9a9e6a68e47_large.jpg

Woooohoooo!!!!!!!

DukeGirl4ever
03-13-2010, 11:48 PM
I'm jumping on the bandwagon...Butler was simply amazing this tournament!

DevilHorns
03-14-2010, 12:07 AM
Ever since this turd:

http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20061107_WVU_alexander_150.jpg

I have HATED everything West Virginia. His post-game comments after our exit from the NCAAs a few years back were just too much for me to handle as a Duke fan.

The only thing WVU will win this year is the most disrespectful and distasteful fanbase in America award.

kong123
03-14-2010, 12:08 AM
I think WVU gets the final #1 seed. They play in a much tougher conference, did better against top 25 teams than the other possible #1 seed, played the 3rd toughest schedule, and they won their conference championship.

DukeGirl4ever
03-14-2010, 12:10 AM
I think WVU gets the final #1 seed. They play in a much tougher conference, did better against top 25 teams than the other possible #1 seed, played the 3rd toughest schedule, and they won their conference championship.

According to ESPN today, they had us as the 4th overall seed and WVU as the 5th overall seed....this was before tonight's game.

So....that would either make us the weakest 1 and WVU the strongest 2 or vice versa if it changes.....does that mean we're in the same bracket?

rthomas
03-14-2010, 12:11 AM
According to ESPN today, they had us as the 4th overall seed and WVU as the 5th overall seed....this was before tonight's game.

So....that would either make us the weakest 1 and WVU the strongest 2 or vice versa if it changes.....does that mean we're in the same bracket?

I hope not. Don't want to live THAT again.

Kewlswim
03-14-2010, 12:12 AM

Hi,

Let's see what happens tomorrow. Even Huggy thinks they are a #2 seed. Should Duke lose they might find their way on the first line. However, even Lunardi (at least last I checked) still thinks it is Duke's to lose.

GO DUKE!

CameronBlue
03-14-2010, 12:22 AM
http://www.betterthanpants.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/150x/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/B/a/Banjos.png

Fear the Mountaineers!

miramar
03-14-2010, 12:23 AM

I believe so, but I don't think we would meet until the Elite Eight and a lot can happen before then for either team.

rthomas
03-14-2010, 12:34 AM
Fear the Mountaineers!

My new sig!!! That's awesome!

ivydevil
03-14-2010, 12:35 AM
Oh please don't let WV be in our bracket. (I was driving through West Virginia during that game a few years back. Then we stopped in Maryland for the night. Worst road trip ever.):(

SharkD
03-14-2010, 01:10 AM
http://www.betterthanpants.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/150x/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/B/a/Banjos.png

Fear the Mountaineers!

I just noticed your "Location." That's awesome. (I'm assuming you're referring to the WRAL kids show from the early 80s.)

When I was 4 or 5, Peter "Pete the Store Keep" Anlyan and his family moved into the house across the street from mine and I was in hog heaven, until we moved out into the county a few years later. (There was a period of time, between 3 and 5 where I wanted, solely to be known as, "Tex.") Even cooler: Peter still lives in the house across the street from my old, old, old house.

DukeSean
03-14-2010, 01:23 AM
Ever since this turd:

I have HATED everything West Virginia. His post-game comments after our exit from the NCAAs a few years back were just too much for me to handle as a Duke fan.

The only thing WVU will win this year is the most disrespectful and distasteful fanbase in America award.

Amen to that. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside knowing that he's scored 2 points to go along with 6 fouls this entire season.

hurleyfor3
03-14-2010, 07:51 AM
I think Ohio State gets a #1, so the last one goes to either us or WV. They will probably engineer "our" region to make the 1 and 2 easily interchangeable (ie, not breaking any placement rules if the teams are switched) depending on whether we win or lose today. I suspect this was done in other years where the final #1 seeds came down to the result of the ACC Championship game, such as in 1991, 1995, 1998 and 2001.

I'll cross the playing-WV-again bridge when we get there. I haven't seen anything this weekend that implies we're better than a Sweet 16 team.

Buckeye Devil
03-14-2010, 09:16 AM
When Ohio State played in Morgantown this year the crowd was vulgar and raunchy to the extreme. Bob Huggins has no class and is little better than John Calipari in my estimation. Otherwise he would have got on the PA system and told the fans to shut up. Any (and I have met a lot of them) WVU fan I know of has been annoying to the extreme and seems to have some sort of chip on the shoulder.

Huggins behavior would be to the dismay of his parents whom I knew. They were "salt of the earth" people and his dad (a great high school coach in Ohio and a gentleman) told me on more than one occasion that he was appalled at the kind of kids that Bob recruited at UC, much less the discipline that he exhibited there.

I am not convinced that WVU is a 1 seed any more than I am that Duke is. WVU's toughest opponent in the tournament was G'town. They barely got by Cincinnati and Notre Dame and did not have to play Syracuse or Nova. Maybe the quality of the Big East is such that they deserve a 1. But in any event, I don't want to see Duke in the same region with them again. Listening to the crap from WVU fans the last time was too much to bear it again.

DukeAppWV
03-14-2010, 09:44 AM
Ever since this turd:

If you are going to condemn an entire fan base because of one obnoxious player then WVU should be way down your list!!!! - The real fans of WVU are the people of the state and natives of West Virginia - not some of the students who act like idiots ----

DukeGirl4ever
03-14-2010, 09:51 AM
If you are going to condemn an entire fan base because of one obnoxious player then WVU should be way down your list!!!! - The real fans of WVU are the people of the state and natives of West Virginia - not some of the students who act like idiots ----

But aren't most of the students FROM WV? MY friend's daughter goes there and said they must have a certain percentage of in-state students (for some reason my head is remembering 70%) in order to retain some funding for the university????

So, if that's the case, isn't it the "natives" that act like that at the games? :confused:

Duvall
03-14-2010, 10:06 AM
If you are going to condemn an entire fan base because of one obnoxious player then WVU should be way down your list!!!! -

Right. You should condemn WVU because its fanbase includes a lot of jerks.

Which, sadly, it does.

PumpkinFunk
03-14-2010, 10:09 AM

I personally will condemn the fans for the harassment I received at the game in DC 2 years ago and the harassment that my friends in the band that day received from fans sitting behind them. Several WVU fans around the band had to be booted out by security.

DukeAppWV
03-14-2010, 10:10 AM
But aren't most of the students FROM WV? MY friend's daughter goes there and said they must have a certain percentage of in-state students (for some reason my head is remembering 70%) in order to retain some funding for the university????

So, if that's the case, isn't it the "natives" that act like that at the games? :confused:

Yes - WVU is the only university who has students who act like jerks ----

DukeGirl4ever
03-14-2010, 10:13 AM
Yes - WVU is the only university who has students who act like jerks ----

Ok, well, since you said so...:p
Jeez, I asked a question....you don't have to be so darn defensive.

I guess you can't answer that....or don't care to admit it.

Mike Corey
03-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Plenty of fan bases can be pretty hard to handle, not to mention the fans of one of West Virginia's rivals, Sweatyland.

WV's fanbase--of which I'm a part, due to the fact that half of my family still lives there--can be rough, no doubt. The way it reacted to Rich Rod's departure was unfortunate, but no worse than Tennessee's to Lane Kiffin's defection, for example.

The point: it's hard to fairly extrapolate what WVU's fan base is like from such a small sample of exposure. Bob Huggins may not be a saint, but if you didn't get moved by his embrace and exchange of words with Butler last night, then I don't know what to tell you. Huggins is no Calipari in that regard.

WVU's fans may not be saints, either; I don't think that warrants the title of "worst fans ever."

As for Joe Alexander, he'd never won anything before, and he didn't know how to win with class. No need for us to hold a grudge. We have bigger fish to fry.

Atlanta Duke
03-14-2010, 10:27 AM
Every school has some "fans" that are embarrassments to the institution, but WVU has a rich tradition of taking fan misconduct to a higher level - this season's signal achievement was the disruption of the Pitt-WVU game in Morgantown

WVU President Clements apologizes to Pitt for fan behavior, promises to increase security

http://wvutoday.wvu.edu/n/2010/2/4/wvu-president-clements-apologizes-to-pitt-for-fan-behavior-promises-to-increase-security

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10035/1033411-87.stm

dyedwab
03-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Let's assume that either Duke or WVU is the last #1 seed.....then the other will be the 1st #2 seed. If this is the decision that the committee is making, it looks like we are headed to the same bracket anyway.

Unless the Committee decides OSU is the 4th #1 seed.....

freshmanjs
03-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Let's assume that either Duke or WVU is the last #1 seed.....then the other will be the 1st #2 seed. If this is the decision that the committee is making, it looks like we are headed to the same bracket anyway.

Unless the Committee decides OSU is the 4th #1 seed.....

of course it matters. one example of why: in the 3rd round, a #1 seed would likely face either a #4 or #5 (teams ranked #13-20 overall). a #2 seed would likely face a #3 (ranked #9-12 overall). that can be a significant difference...and I think it is this year.

CameronBlue
03-14-2010, 10:45 AM
I just noticed your "Location." That's awesome. (I'm assuming you're referring to the WRAL kids show from the early 80s.)

When I was 4 or 5, Peter "Pete the Store Keep" Anlyan and his family moved into the house across the street from mine and I was in hog heaven, until we moved out into the county a few years later. (There was a period of time, between 3 and 5 where I wanted, solely to be known as, "Tex.") Even cooler: Peter still lives in the house across the street from my old, old, old house.

That is cool. Good pickup. My dad worked for Capitol Broadcasing for a time. I only met Peter once. Peter was integrally involved in Capitol's purchase of the Durham Bulls and IIRC was the GM in the mid-90s.

rthomas
03-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Every school has some "fans" that are embarrassments to the institution, but WVU has a rich tradition of taking fan misconduct to a higher level - this season's signal achievement was the disruption of the Pitt-WVU game in Morgantown

WVU President Clements apologizes to Pitt for fan behavior, promises to increase security

http://wvutoday.wvu.edu/n/2010/2/4/wvu-president-clements-apologizes-to-pitt-for-fan-behavior-promises-to-increase-security

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10035/1033411-87.stm

Yes, WVU's fan base spoke out against the students, the president listened and did something about their behavior. Unlike some other schools I know.

DukeGirl4ever
03-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Yes, WVU's fan base spoke out against the students, the president listened and did something about their behavior. Unlike some other schools I know.

And for that, I can at least look at Huggins and staff and say they are not idiots, unlike SWEATY GARY! I know some people on here don't like Huggins, but I think he's a big teddy bear inside - ha! Or maybe wishful thinking!

rthomas
03-14-2010, 11:48 AM

I can answer that. The answer is no there is not a certain percentage that must be in-state students. But yes the majority of students are from WV (~60%). But we have a large number of students from PA, OH, VA, NJ, NY, not to mention international students, because our out of state tuition is low.

So the answer to your last question is not necessarily.

DukeGirl4ever
03-14-2010, 12:27 PM
I can answer that. The answer is no there is not a certain percentage that must be in-state students. But yes the majority of students are from WV (~60%). But we have a large number of students from PA, OH, VA, NJ, NY, not to mention international students, because our out of state tuition is low.

So the answer to your last question is not necessarily.

THANK YOU for answering! Knowledge is power! :p

My co-worker had mentioned that in order for WVU to keep some land grant (I think that's what it was), they had to maintain a certain percentage of in-state students. We are from PA and she said she asked that question on her daughter's visitation. That was the answer she got, so not sure if they were feeding her some BS.

In any case, her daughter is now at WVU and she refuses to sit in the student section at games because she doesn't want to be associated with the behavior. After the Pitt game, the students were sent an email outlining proper behavior and consequences for "dumbness".

Again, thanks for the answer!

rthomas
03-14-2010, 12:40 PM
In any case, her daughter is now at WVU and she refuses to sit in the student section at games because she doesn't want to be associated with the behavior. After the Pitt game, the students were sent an email outlining proper behavior and consequences for "dumbness".

I have quite a few students who were embarrassed by that whole thing, refused to sit (stand) in that section as well. Then again, my students are the best WVU has.;)

mapei
03-14-2010, 12:55 PM
It's not just the students. They have by far the rudest fan base in the Big East, and rival only UMCP for disgusting-ness in my 40 years experience as a college hoops fan.

I have nothing against their players at all, and even Huggins looks classy compared to his fans. Butler is a great player and deserves his accolades. So did Alexander. The team deserves its championship and its ranking. But the fans will need to earn my respect before they get it.

DukeAppWV
03-14-2010, 12:56 PM
And for that, I can at least look at Huggins and staff and say they are not idiots, unlike SWEATY GARY! I know some people on here don't like Huggins, but I think he's a big teddy bear inside - ha! Or maybe wishful thinking!

I haven't always been a fan of Huggins but I think the time was right for him to come home to coach - He was what they needed to get to the next level - and by the way Huggins was a Magna Cum Laude graduate ----

kmspeaks
03-14-2010, 02:16 PM

There are some kids in College Park, MD who may have a thing or two to say about that.

burnspbesq
03-14-2010, 04:07 PM
There are some kids in College Park, MD who may have a thing or two to say about that.

Off year for the Twerp fans. Did you see how few arrests there were after the Duke game? They need to get out there and recruit harder in order to return the riots to their former glory.

Cameron
03-14-2010, 04:17 PM
But we have a large number of students from PA, OH, VA, NJ, NY, not to mention international students, because our out of state tuition is low.

Yes, you definitely can't discount all of those spirited kids from the Japanese Archipelagos chucking beer cans onto the court in a feverish Eers! roar.

:D

I hate Joe Alexander, but I do like Bob Huggins. His Dad, Charlie, was a coaching legend at the school my own Dad attended growing up, in eastern Ohio. The best high school coach in three states in the '70s and '80s, some say.

But I am smiling knowing that Duke did just enough to nudge Bobby from a one. Go Duke!

rthomas
03-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Yes, you definitely can't discount all of those spirited kids from the Japanese Archipelagos chucking beer cans onto the court in a feverish Eers! roar.

:D

I hate Joe Alexander, but I do like Bob Huggins. His Dad, Charlie, was a coaching legend at the school my own Dad attended growing up, in eastern Ohio. The best high school coach in three states in the '70s and '80s, some say.

But I am smiling knowing that Duke did just enough to nudge Bobby from a one. Go Duke!

A fan of Imus is dissing the Japanese?

RoyalBlue08
03-14-2010, 04:35 PM

I have always been critical of Huggins, especially considering his atrocious graduation rate at Cincinnati, but I do give him credit for standing up and calling out his crowd for their behavior. Gary could learn a lesson from him.

Cameron
03-14-2010, 05:33 PM
A fan of Imus is dissing the Japanese?

Well played. But no, haha.

I happen to like my Imus photograph. I've had it since the beginning of this new site format. That just happened to coincide with Imus' little rant:)

greybeard
03-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Very poorly officiated game. WVa guys, particularly their bigger players, traveled blatently on a number of plays right in front of a ref. Sometimes just trying to avoid pressure, doing a virtual piroet, and others starting a drive, like Butler on that last play. You cannot allow that kind of advantage.

The physical play. I don't know how you deep it away from a guy like Monroe with one guy essentially and play within the rules. And, the stolen rebounds. Maybe their hands were that fast, but I do not think so.