PDA

View Full Version : Friendly reminder on recruits

-jk
03-13-2010, 11:39 PM
From our FAQ sticky:

We offer this link as a reminder that boosters need to stay away from recruits! You're considered a "booster" if you're an alum or fan or otherwise connected to Duke. As "this is a fan's joint," most of y'all are boosters.

Some of you have suggested contacting recruits. Don't! Follow them on Twitter, but don't "friend" them on Facebook.

Fans, Friends & Alumni Compliance Information (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&KEY=&ATCLID=1515167&SPID=2387&SPID=106797)

A few highlights:

Only coaches and authorized athletic staff members may participate in recruiting activities.

DON’T call or write letters to a prospect.
DON’T initiate contact with a prospect or a prospect’s parents or relatives.
DON’T visit a prospect’s educational institution.
DON’T contact a prospect's coach, principal, or counselor.
DON’T provide gifts.
DON’T arrange employment.

You may notify the Duke coaching staff of outstanding prospects in the area.

Hey! Let's be careful out there!

regards,

-jk

DukeGirl4ever
03-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Thanks for posting this! I was wondering what kind of "guidelines" had been set.

I would feel kind of "ballsy" asking a future recruit to be my friend but that's just me. I've followed "from afar" with some of them because some do not make their profile private.

And just to clarify, this is about recruits? Not current players?

-jk
03-13-2010, 11:52 PM
Yes, these guidelines are for recruits. Some recruits really seem to like the attention, but we don't want to get anyone in trouble.

-jk

DukeGirl4ever
03-13-2010, 11:55 PM
Yes, these guidelines are for recruits. Some recruits really seem to like the attention, but we don't want to get anyone in trouble.

-jk

Awesome, again, thanks for posting.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I really believe the NCAA needs to take a look at this. I'm an educator so I have been pretty much told what I can and can't do in the cyber-world. Maybe some more specific guidelines need to be in place. Just my opinion.

And thank goodness for Twitter....a day without a Nolan twitter would not be a good day! :p

DukeSean
03-14-2010, 12:15 AM
When they've signed letters of intent but have not yet enrolled, are they still considered "recruits?"

-jk
03-14-2010, 12:22 AM
When they've signed letters of intent but have not yet enrolled, are they still considered "recruits?"

As I understand it, until they enroll they're recruits.

-jk

Richard Berg
03-15-2010, 12:18 PM
DON’T visit a prospect’s educational institution.
When did this rule start? I know lots of DBR members have posted helpful eyewitness reports from high school bball games. Until St. Patrick's got banned from the postseason, I was planning on visiting some of Kyrie's games with my coworker (who helps coach boys' bball for a rival school). What's wrong with that?

DukeGirl4ever
03-15-2010, 12:22 PM
When did this rule start? I know lots of DBR members have posted helpful eyewitness reports from high school bball games. Until St. Patrick's got banned from the postseason, I was planning on visiting some of Kyrie's games with my coworker (who helps coach boys' bball for a rival school). What's wrong with that?

I'm thinking that has to mean the school itself during educational hours. I see nothing wrong with attending a high school basketball.

Newton_14
03-15-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm thinking that has to mean the school itself during educational hours. I see nothing wrong with attending a high school basketball.

Bingo. You are correct. That rule is about going to campus on a school day not a sporting event.

You can watch all of their high school games in person if you want, you just cannot talk to them beyond saying hello in passing. Engaging them in conversation is a no no.

DukeGirl4ever
03-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Bingo. You are correct. That rule is about going to campus on a school day not a sporting event.

You can watch all of their high school games in person if you want, you just cannot talk to them beyond saying hello in passing. Engaging them in conversation is a no no.

As an English teacher, I probably should re-read my posts! UGH!

I'm thinking that has to mean the school itself during educational hours. I see nothing wrong with attending a high school basketball GAME!