PDA

View Full Version : Charting Duke vs. Miami (ACC Tourney)

Jumbo
03-13-2010, 09:12 PM
It's funny that ...
-In a game where I thought the Plumlees both played better than they have in a while, they had the lowest plus/minus stats on the team.
-Duke was just better with Lance Thomas on the floor, even though he didn't do much to stand out.
-This late in the year, we saw a lineup as unconventional as the one with Singler at the 2, Thomas at the 3 and both Plumlees in the game.
-Duke continues an odd trend of playing well without Smith in the game.

Anyway, on to the numbers ...

Individuals
Lance Thomas 54-47 (+7)
Brian Zoubek 60-55 (+5)
Kyle Singler 76-72 (+4)
Andre Dawkins 12-8 (+4)
Jon Scheyer 71-70 (+1)
Nolan Smith 65-66 (-1)
Ryan Kelly 1-2 (-1)
Mason Plumlee 29-31 (-2)
Miles Plumlee 17-19 (-2)

Per 40 Minutes
Andre Dawkins +17.8
Lance Thomas +10.8
Brian Zoubek +7.1
Kyle Singler +4.1
Jon Scheyer +1.1
Nolan Smith -1.3
Mason Plumlee -5
Miles Plumlee -6.7
Ryan Kelly -40

Lineups
Scheyer-Dawkins-Singler-Thomas-Zoubek (x2) 9-3 (+6)
Smith-Singler-Thomas-Mason-Zoubek 6-4 (+2)
Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Mason-Miles (x5) 15-14 (+1)
Scheyer-Dawkins-Thomas-Kelly-Zoubek 1-0 (+1)
Scheyer-Dawkins-Singler-Mason-Zoubek (x2) 0-0 (+0)
Scheyer-Dawkins-Singler-Mason-Miles (x3) 2-3 (-1)
Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Thomas-Zoubek (x5) 38-40 (-2)
Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Mason-Zoubek (x2) 6-8 (-2)
Scheyer-Dawkins-Kelly-Mason-Miles 0-2 (-2)

CDu
03-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Smith didn't have a good game today at all. I'm in general surprised by the trend of better +/- without Smith, as I definitely think he's an asset to this team. But today, I don't think he played terribly well.

On the other hand, I did think the Plumlees played better than their numbers indicated. Especially when (I think) they were on the floor for a good portion of the big first half run, and I don't think they were in down the stretch when Miami came back. But they must have gotten minutes during some of the bad stretches as well.

proelitedota
03-13-2010, 09:23 PM
In the Virginia game, there was a moment where Scheyer, as a pg, couldn't convert, so Smith ran the point and Scheyer played a SG/SF role against the under-sized Virginia guard. Scheyer immediately scored 7 straight points.

I did like to see more of position mix-up to create more mismatches in the backcourt.

jv001
03-13-2010, 09:25 PM
Smith didn't have a good game today at all. I'm in general surprised by the trend of better +/- without Smith, as I definitely think he's an asset to this team. But today, I don't think he played terribly well.

On the other hand, I did think the Plumlees played better than their numbers indicated. Especially when (I think) they were on the floor for a good portion of the big first half run, and I don't think they were in down the stretch when Miami came back. But they must have gotten minutes during some of the bad stretches as well.

Nolan is very valuable to this team, but he did have an off game today. He draws the quickest guard every game and does a good job. As for the Plumlees they looked much better today. And I was fuming at some of Lance's plays. But I guess the numbers speak for themselves. But I'm still scratching my head. Go Duke!

jv001
03-13-2010, 09:27 PM
In the Virginia game, there was a moment where Scheyer, as a pg, couldn't convert, so Smith ran the point and Scheyer played a SG/SF role against the under-sized Virginia guard. Scheyer immediately scored 7 straight points.

I did like to see more of position mix-up to create more mismatches in the backcourt.

If Jon's sick, hurt or tired, I would like to see Nolan handle the ball more. This seems to be working in recent games. Could give Jon some rest and let him concentrate on his shot. Although he didn't shoot badly today. Go Duke!

Newton_14
03-13-2010, 09:28 PM
Agree with Miles/Mason. I am surprised by their numbers. I thought both played really well today on both ends. Also agree that Nolan had a bad game, really one of his worst of the year. He just never seemed with it today.

Another positive game for Andre as well even with his shots not falling. Man it would be nice to see him get that shot rolling again. His misses are close so he is stroking it well. I also thought he got a bad deal on the charge today. But as bad as the refs were in the first half I guess it was no way a Duke freshman was going to get the benefit of the doubt on a close call..

Newton_14
03-13-2010, 09:34 PM
If Jon's sick, hurt or tired, I would like to see Nolan handle the ball more. This seems to be working in recent games. Could give Jon some rest and let him concentrate on his shot. Although he didn't shoot badly today. Go Duke!

Count me in the camp that does not believe fatigue is causing Jon's struggles. I have come to the belief that the bad back is the issue. He was not getting any lift on his first few shot attempts early in the UVA game and no way that is fatigue coming off a 5 day break with no games.

Whether it is the back or he has a virus or something, I hope it goes away soon. Would hate to see him not be at his best at the end of his last year.

CDu
03-13-2010, 09:39 PM
Count me in the camp that does not believe fatigue is causing Jon's struggles. I have come to the belief that the bad back is the issue. He was not getting any lift on his first few shot attempts early in the UVA game and no way that is fatigue coming off a 5 day break with no games.

Whether it is the back or he has a virus or something, I hope it goes away soon. Would hate to see him not be at his best at the end of his last year.

I'm in the "he has a cold" camp, but it could also be the mysterious bad back that has been discussed. I don't believe it is tired legs, as he was worse on Friday despite having five full days in between games.

jv001
03-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Could very well be Jon has a cold because it seems that the energy is not there. Some of his plays were not Jon Scheyer like. Like I posted earlier, he passed the ball in and just stood out of bounds for a few seconds. That to me seems like his reaction is off and that sounds like a cold. But as Cdu said it could be his back. I know about back problems. Makes you move very slow. Let's hope it's a cold and he's over it by tomorrow. Go Duke!