PDA

View Full Version : PP to UK

kydevil
05-16-2007, 03:46 PM
Offical. Well back to the drawing board boys, we will be ok. Lets GO ZOUBEK and LT

dukelion
05-16-2007, 03:48 PM
Thank God that's over!

next

kydevil
05-16-2007, 03:56 PM
Thank God that's over!

next

Right on! PP now it's your turn to live up to the hype. O and btw K can you please set up a series with Uk so Zoubek can dominate him in the post :rolleyes:

The Gordog
05-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Offical. Well back to the drawing board boys, we will be ok. Lets GO ZOUBEK and LT

Good luck PP. I can't believe you swallowed that BS from Gilespe (sp?) about 20 shots per game, but whatever.

Duke will not be a top 10 team next year unless Gerald turns into Grant Hill '94, but a down year for us is still better than a good year for most teams.

Go Dule !

Oh, and let's remember what's important in all this: Go to Hell Carolina, Go to Hell!!!

Lord Ash
05-16-2007, 04:00 PM
Oh well, I think everyone saw this coming. Good luck to PP and UK.

Wask
05-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Gross.

Anyone but Carolina and UK.

Ima Facultiwyfe
05-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Any player that chooses to play someplace else is a guy we didn't need in the first place. Duke is not a walk in the park. If a guy doesn't want it with ALL his heart, he'd better go elsewhere. We just want those few good men.

Patterson was wise to take a less difficult path. He won't be around long anyway. We wish him luck.

Bless his heart.

Love, Ima:)

elvis14
05-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Duke will not be a top 10 team next year unless Gerald turns into Grant Hill '94, but a down year for us is still better than a good year for most teams.

Go Dule !

Oh, and let's remember what's important in all this: Go to Hell Carolina, Go to Hell!!!

For the record, I disagree that we will not be a top 10 team. I think Duke will spend much more time in the top 10 than out of it. Let's not forget how many minutes we had from freshmen and sophomores last season. Oh and those same players are a year older/stronger/better. Yes, we lost Josh but I think we have just seen a bit of what Lance can do. I think he'll step up and be huge (as will Gerald).

As for PP, I'm also glad it's over. Now our players will know their roles and can start getting prepared (mentally and physically) for the season.

Go Duke!

Oh, and I frickin' hate Carolina!

shadycharacter
05-16-2007, 04:14 PM
I truly had mixed feelings all along about trying to get PP.

Playing time is going to be scarce as it is--would have been that much moreso. I think Zou and Lance are very mature and committed, and will rise to the occasion, and this will indirectly at least open up more time for McClure as well.

I'd hate to have gotten PP, then had one or more of our guys transfer.

We wanted Zou and Lance, and wooed them to come to Duke. They did. Now let's us be committed to them in return, and give them our best support. I think they'll earn it.

dukeENG2003
05-16-2007, 04:26 PM
would have been nice to get him, but its not the end of the world. I'm sure he will be a great player, but we've got a lot of players already who have potential to be great as well. Lets just hope everyone is working hard in the offseason. We have a fabulous class coming in even without PP, I have no doubt we can do better than last year.

dukestheheat
05-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Good luck to PP at Kentucky!

GO DUKE!

dth.

ACCBBallFan
05-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Here's the link

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/news/story?id=2872595

During the presser Patrick patterson says distance was why he did not go to UF and the reason he did not go to Duke was he did not click as well with the players/recruits.

If he did not feel he could click with Duke players (ie did not want to play center) he made the right decision.

Edit - Patrick used the work Click , not Mesh. .

Matt Jones also says the so-called incident that happened on the Patterson Duke visit was when Patrick's mom confronted coach K on whether Patrick Patterson would have to play the 5 and went down the roster player by player from memory to make her point.

A caller later challenged Matt on whether that wold not also have been thecase at UK. On ESPN UK roster Perry Stevenson is listed as 6' 9" 178 pounds which sounds like a mistake.

rsvman
05-16-2007, 04:53 PM
I think Singler will turn out to be more important to his team as a freshman than will Patterson.

Just my opinion; I could be wrong.

Lord Ash
05-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Uh, am I crazy or did this thread have more responses?

Classof06
05-16-2007, 04:55 PM
I agree. Who you come into your respective school with (your recruiting class) is extremely important. If he feels he didn't get along as well with Duke's recruits, then his decision to go elsewhere is good for both parties.

rthomas
05-16-2007, 05:08 PM
PP to KY should save Tubby's job for another couple of years!

Oh yea, I forgot...

Classof06
05-16-2007, 05:08 PM
I think Singler will turn out to be more important to his team as a freshman than will Patterson.

Just my opinion; I could be wrong.

Don't think you will be, I'm with you. One of the reasons I wanted Patterson so much was because I would've loved the combo of him and Singler. But make no mistake, Singler is the gem of this recruiting class with or without PP in Duke Blue. There is no list out there with Patterson ranked above Singler.

lavell12
05-16-2007, 05:18 PM
What a dumb choice, I guess he wants to go some where he will be the only good player on the team. KU hasn't been good for years so I guess he can have fun getting to the sweet sixteen once in his career instead of possibly winning a title with Duke or even Florida. So long sucker.

ACCBBallFan
05-16-2007, 05:25 PM
Matt Jones just addressed the problem that he referred to a while back on the probelm with initial Duke visit

Being addressed live now and streaming cut out as Matt was explaining

http://www.1570thezone.com/player.asp

After Coach K indicated Patrick would not necessarily have to play center

Patterson and his mom went name by name down the Duke roster and asked who besides Patrick would have to play center; and got answers Lance No; Singler No ...

So if Zoubek cannot go 40 minutes does Patrick have to play center?

A caller just turned it around and asked who plays center for UK.

RockyMtDevil
05-16-2007, 05:26 PM
This could be a blessing in disguise, let's remember this moment one year from now when he will declare for the NBA and Zoobs and Lance have had an entire year to play in K's system as starters. If we add a Big to those two experienced guys, we should be very difficult to stop in the post, especially with Singler running wild with his inside/out game.

Would have been nice to add him for one year, but it still wouldn't have made the 07-08 team championship caliber, but it may help make the 08-09 team championship ready...

From the beginning, when Patterson left the Duke game early on his visit, it just didn't feel right. I don't think any of us are surprised.

Is Kentucky even a top 25 team with him and Legion? He might get 20 shots a game but I'm not sure they compete for any championships next year, starting with their own conference.

No sour grapes, we wish him well, he must be a decent kid if K was after him so hard...

Good luck PP.

The Gordog
05-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Matt Jones just addressed the problem that he referred to a while back on the probelm with initial Duke visit

Being addressed live now and streaming cut out as Matt was explaining

http://www.1570thezone.com/player.asp

After Coach K indicated Patrick would not necessarily have to play center

Patterson and his mom went name by name down the Duke roster and asked who besides Patrick would have to play center; and got answers Lance No; Singler No ...

So if Zoubek cannot go 40 minutes does Patrick have to play center?

A caller just turned it around and asked who plays center for UK.

We don't play positions at Duke Mrs.P. Are you arfraid to have your son guard Hansblahblah?

MChambers
05-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Never were the same after playing the "5" at Duke.

steely2400
05-16-2007, 06:09 PM
<start sarcasm now> He will be missed <end sarcasm>.

We will get by, I think the team will band together and play well. IMO Josh was somewhat of a burden on the team. He never seemed happy and by the decision to leave school after (let's face it) accomplishing nothing, I think we will be better. Look at our early exits, E, Avery, Lou, the only other guy to accomplish less and leave early was Magette. He atleast had atheletic ability to fall back on.

Enough bashing, I think we will be alright, next year may be a little rough. But as a man once said, "My Shangri-La beneath the summer moon, I will return again, Sure as the dust that floats high in June, when movin' through Kashmir".

kydevil
05-16-2007, 06:10 PM
This could be a blessing in disguise, let's remember this moment one year from now when he will declare for the NBA and Zoobs and Lance have had an entire year to play in K's system as starters. If we add a Big to those two experienced guys, we should be very difficult to stop in the post, especially with Singler running wild with his inside/out game.

Would have been nice to add him for one year, but it still wouldn't have made the 07-08 team championship caliber, but it may help make the 08-09 team championship ready...

From the beginning, when Patterson left the Duke game early on his visit, it just didn't feel right. I don't think any of us are surprised.

Is Kentucky even a top 25 team with him and Legion? He might get 20 shots a game but I'm not sure they compete for any championships next year, starting with their own conference.

No sour grapes, we wish him well, he must be a decent kid if K was after him so hard...

Good luck PP.

I seriously Doubt that PP will be a one and done player, one of the pros to Duke was our 3 year graduation plan. I say he at least stays two years, his offense game needs big improvements before the NBA.

Well PP got all the attention he wanted, now he has some pretty big hype to live up to!
The sad thing is on the Lexington radio stations all I have heard is "we are back" and "We will win the Sec" If they truly believe this they are in for a reality check. PP is good but they deem him as their savior and that is not a far comparison at all, but I can't feel bad for him he brought all this pressure on himself.

rthomas
05-16-2007, 06:20 PM
The sad thing is on the Lexington radio stations all I have heard is "we are back" and "We will win the Sec" If they truly believe this they are in for a reality check.

Who will be better in the SEC than KY (with or without PP)? Florida? Ark? Vandy? USC? I admit that I don't keep up with the SEC but maybe KY will be one of the better teams, especially since the mass defections at Florida.

kramerbr
05-16-2007, 06:27 PM
If he did not mesh well with the players and recruits why did he put Duke in his final 3?????

This is why Duke is very carefull about who they offer a scholly...too often players use it to their advantage when they know they are going elsewhere.

kydevil
05-16-2007, 06:32 PM
Who will be better in the SEC than KY (with or without PP)? Florida? Ark? Vandy? USC? I admit that I don't keep up with the SEC but maybe KY will be one of the better teams, especially since the mass defections at Florida.

That would be Tennessee. They return basically every key player minus Dane Bradshaw who, was more of a locker room guy than big time star. They return Sec player of the year and deadly shooter Chris Lofton.

From the other side of the Sec Alabama will (or should be talent-wise) strong.

YmoBeThere
05-16-2007, 06:33 PM
Gross.

Anyone but Carolina and UK.

One of my neighbor's has a Carolina sticker right above a UK sticker on their car. Every time I walk by it, I always wonder, "Who would want to advertise that?"

ACCBBallFan
05-16-2007, 07:56 PM
I think it is Patterson;s political correct way of saying he does not want to play center.

But, unless this Carter dude is better than Zoubek or this Coury guy is a player, won't UK have the same problem? And won't Patterson have to play center instead of 178 pound Perry Stevenson anyway?

Player Position Height Weight Class
Carter, Jared C 7'2" 250 So
Coury, Mark F 6'9" 239 Fr
Stevenson,Perry F 6'9" 178 Fr
Jasper, Derrick G 6'6" 213 Fr
Harris, Ramon F 6'5" 219 Fr
Crawford, Joe G 6'5" 211 Jr
Meeks, Jodie G 6'5" 206 Fr
Porter, Michael G 6'2" 180 Fr
Bradley, Ramel G 6'2" 176 Jr
Perry, Dwight G 6'0" 185 Fr
Legion, Alex G 6' 6" HS
Patterson, Patr F 6' 8" 235 HS

cspan37421
05-16-2007, 08:46 PM
IMO Josh was somewhat of a burden on the team. He never seemed happy and by the decision to leave school after (let's face it) accomplishing nothing, I think we will be better. Look at our early exits, E, Avery, Lou, the only other guy to accomplish less and leave early was Magette.

Didn't we go well beyond the NCAA first round with Maggette? i.e. the national championship game? And if you're talking individual stats, well, consider he was on a team with Battier, Brand, Avery, Langdon, James, and Carawell. Talk about a need to share the wealth. Anyway if I've got him in the right year, I would not say he accomplished nothing. Not by a longshot.

But I agree that for all Josh's talent, he didn't seem to be a fun and supportive teammate to be around. On the plus side, he could bring the ball upcourt, and sadly there were many times that we needed someone who could do so reliably!

On PP: I don't think you want to be that desperate to get someone. If they don't want you just as much, then it isn't going to work that well, most likely. Frankly, I'm not sure we should be dealing with players who expect X shots per game, Y minutes of playing time, or who want to dictate to the head coach what position on the court they want to play. Right there you can tell they're putting themselves above the team.

I agree with the earlier posts. Hopefully our great soph class can feel good that they're going to be counted on to contribute more than if PP came this way. With a year of K's system under their belts, and good health, hopefully they'll be eager to get going. Again, I'd be most happy if we can keep them around through senior year, because they'll be freakin' awesome, having worked together all those years. Let the other schools have their one and done guys. I'd rather not see Duke go down that path and take the student completely out of student-athlete, getting a bunch of hired guns pretending to be students. I may like Luol Deng, but not because he went to Duke. I like him b/c he's a classy and talented player. Same for Brand - we had him for 2 yrs. He's a stud. But the guys who got degrees like Shane, Christian, Bobby, JWill, CBooz, etc. - they're the essence of what Duke basketball should be and what should set us apart. JMO.

ACCBBallFan
05-16-2007, 08:46 PM
After the streaming came back on, Matt Jones went on to use the term K-BS. He seems to think it was an issue of the Patterson;s being misled about whether Patrick would play center.

Unless this Carter dude is better than Zoubek or this Coury guy is a player, won't UK have the same problem? And won't Patterson have to play center instead of 178 pound Perry Stevenson anyway?

Legion, Alex G 6' 6" HS

dukemsu
05-16-2007, 08:59 PM
I don't buy the fact that K somehow lost Patterson.

If the kid wanted to come to Duke, he would have. There aren't very many true centers in D-1 who play prominent roles (Oden and Hibbert were two exceptions). Even Z, with a true center body, may not ever be a true back to the basket center. Patterson would draw the center assignment on defense at least some of the time no matter where he went.

This smacks of more K-bashing to me.

Chard
05-16-2007, 09:46 PM
If he did not mesh well with the players and recruits why did he put Duke in his final 3?????

This is why Duke is very carefull about who they offer a scholly...too often players use it to their advantage when they know they are going elsewhere.

I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like Duke dodged a bullet with this one. Good luck to him though.

freedevil
05-16-2007, 10:31 PM
If Patrick did not want to come to Duke because he did not get along with the players, that is fine. I mean, that's certainly a prominent part of every recruit's decision.

However, if he eliminated Duke because he does not want to play center, then this guy is not as patient/thoughtful about his college decision as I thought he'd be. If thinks he won't be playing center at UK, he may be out of his mind.

Wander
05-17-2007, 07:33 PM
We don't play positions at Duke Mrs.P.

We don't?

Who will be better in the SEC than KY (with or without PP)?

Well, Tennessee as of right now looks like the best team in the SEC. After that, it's a crapshoot. Kentucky should be up there.

JStuart
05-18-2007, 07:03 AM
So today Gillespie is quoted as wanting to run a four guard offense now that he has Patterson. Which forward position will he be playing then, Mrs. Patterson?
Doesn't quite add up, but then, I'm no math whiz.
Next season.

After the streaming came back on, Matt Jones went on to use the term K-BS. He seems to think it was an issue of the Patterson;s being misled about whether Patrick would play center.

Unless this Carter dude is better than Zoubek or this Coury guy is a player, won't UK have the same problem? And won't Patterson have to play center instead of 178 pound Perry Stevenson anyway?

Legion, Alex G 6' 6" HS

hondoheel
05-18-2007, 07:28 AM
Kentucky does have a 7 foot frosh coming in. Mike Williams, a 2 star, 270 pounder.

throatybeard
05-18-2007, 02:26 PM
Please place further discussion of Patrick Patterson in this thread. Thanx.