PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland Melvin Interested in Duke

BoxofMess
03-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Check out this interview with UConn decommit, Cleveland Melvin (http://boxofmess.com/2010/03/12/cleveland-melvin-searching-for-his-school/). Melvin is close to picking a school and Duke is in consideration.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-12-2010, 07:01 PM
I like his size, I don't know how good he is though, Rivils says he needs work on his passing and 3 point range, but i would love to have this kid.

SharkD
03-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Forget your worries about whether or not we have enough scholarships for all the talent interested in committing to Duke... it seems, at this point, more important to ask: do we have enough dorm rooms?

FireOgilvie
03-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Cleveland Melvin... great name.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-12-2010, 09:25 PM
I've read he plays the three spot. A 6'7 SF is always good to have, so no i don't know much about him, but after missing out of RS and HB i would love to have a 6'7 6'8 Sf on next years roster besides Kyle.

Bluedog
03-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Here's more info from ZagsBlog:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/03/04/melvin-opens-it-up-abraham-skips-visits/

Says he decomitted from UConn because he wants to play at the wing spot, while UConn wanted him to be at the four....

Hurd listed Seton Hall, South Florida, Miami, TCU, Marquette and Oklahoma state as possible landing spots.

So, it looks like he has added Duke and Pitt since then. If scout's 40th PF ranking is accurate, then I don't see any way we'd consider him...but who knows.

NashvilleDevil
03-12-2010, 10:10 PM
So, it looks like he has added Duke and Pitt since then. If scout's 40th PF ranking is accurate, then I don't see any way we'd consider him...but who knows.

Just curious what Emeka Okafor was ranked coming out of HS? I recall he was not ranked high and there was a discussion on these boards that Duke should go after similar kids. Not saying this is what is going on here. Maybe he added Duke to his list to get more press.

SCMatt33
03-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Just curious what Emeka Okafor was ranked coming out of HS? I recall he was not ranked high and there was a discussion on these boards that Duke should go after similar kids. Not saying this is what is going on here. Maybe he added Duke to his list to get more press.

Okafor was 99th in 2001 according to the RSCI (Scout and Rivals don't go that far back). Usually the top 100 are considered 4 star recruits. Rivals doesn't have Melvin in their top 150 (which includes the best 3-star recruits as well). Both rivals and scout have him as a 3-star. ESPN has him rated as the #50 PF and gives him a grade of 90 (Most of the top 100 has at least a 94 and the last couple are 93's).

DevilHorns
03-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Okafor was 99th in 2001 according to the RSCI (Scout and Rivals don't go that far back). Usually the top 100 are considered 4 star recruits. Rivals doesn't have Melvin in their top 150 (which includes the best 3-star recruits as well). Both rivals and scout have him as a 3-star. ESPN has him rated as the #50 PF and gives him a grade of 90 (Most of the top 100 has at least a 94 and the last couple are 93's).

Just a comparison but I believe ESPN had Olex Czyz at 92.
Its great and all to compare this guy to Okefor since he was committed to UCONN but in all honesty is that all we have here? What are we hoping for here? Lets think about that.

SCMatt33
03-13-2010, 12:17 AM
Just a comparison but I believe ESPN had Olex Czyz at 92.
Its great and all to compare this guy to Okefor since he was committed to UCONN but in all honesty is that all we have here? What are we hoping for here? Lets think about that.

I almost put the Olek comparison in there, but I didn't feel like starting a thread comparing the two. Hopefully the numbers I gave show on their own that there is no comparison to Okafor. I don't have a problem with Duke recruiting this guy, I suspect that the coaches are simply doing their due diligence on him. It would be easy for him to have sent a tape to Duke, gotten a positive, but noncommittal response, and claim that Duke is on his list. If I hear that he's going to be given a chance to visit, then I will consider us as seriously recruiting him.

Kedsy
03-13-2010, 12:21 AM
I don't see us getting more than 1 of Haynes/Felix/Melvin/whoever the recruit of the day is for 2010, but a very athletic 6'8" wing player is probably not a "waste of a scholarship," especially if he can play defense. I don't think we need to worry about wasting scholarships when we never fill out a full roster.

Well, if we get 1 of those guys (presumably Felix), and KI doesn't leave after his freshman year (and nobody transfers and MP2 doesn't leave, etc), we'll only have four available scholarships left for 2011. Gbinije has one of them, and we're seeking Rivers, MP3, QMiller, Cook and at least a couple other names (e.g., Amir Williams, Michael Haynes). Not saying they'll all come to Duke, but now that Gbinije has committed, if we add a 2nd guy for 2010 we can only sign two of the many fine remaining candidates for 2011. So I'm a little worried about wasting scholarships.

-jk
03-13-2010, 12:21 AM
Folks, please don't speculate about recruits if you don't have anything substantive to go on. It's not fair to the kids.

-jk

GODUKEGO
03-15-2010, 08:46 AM
Duke Coaches Contact Cleveland Melvin
March 13, 2010
Cleveland Melvin is a 6’8’ 210lb small forward that has demonstrated explosive athletic ability. With a large wingspan Melvin has also shown a knack for blocking shots down low. Recently the class of 2010 wing backed off a verbal commitment to UConn and reopened his recruitment.

Last week Melvin received an introductory call from Duke Coaches. The Duke staff let Melvin know that they are still looking to fill a couple openings at the small forward position for 2010 and wanted to gauge Melvin’s potential interest in playing for the Blue Devils.

Over the next few weeks Duke Coaches will continue to evaluate Melvin. Meanwhile, Melvin plans to take several school visits while determining where his interests lie. Melvin is ranked as a 3 star prospect by both Scout.com and Rivals.com.

→ 1 CommentCategories: Class of 2010 · Cleveland Melvin · Duke Basketball Recruiting
Tagged: Cleveland Melvin, Duke Basketball Recruiting

This season has been so exciting but when you look at the recruits already committed and the potential ones considering us, it gets almost scary. We are really going to miss Jon, Lance, Zoub and Jordan. Kyle if you are reading this "Just stay in school". When we win the National Championship two years in a row and you are a candidate next year for NPOY what value will that have on your stock. Patience is a virtue. I think all of us old farts look back and say those six years of college (joking) were some of our best. Mainly, we would miss your great play, hard work, enthusiasm, smile oh yeah and those 3's!!! Yes, the championships are wishful thinking but you will never get back those college years.

Osiagledknarf
04-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Former UConn recruit considering six schools
6-foot-8 power forward Cleveland Melvin spoke with ESPN.com affiliate site www.InsideTheU.com and currently lists six schools as favorites for his services.

Melvin committed to Connecticut in November 2009 but decided to re-open his recruitment with an eye towards playing on the wing in college.

"Basically I wanted to re-open my recruitment," Melvin said. "I wanted to have a chance to play on the wing in college and UConn wanted me to play the four, I just wanted a chance to develop my game."

The Baltimore native lists Duke, Miami, Seton Hall, Pitt, South Florida an DePaul as school's he's considering. He expects to make a decision "real soon" he told the site.

ESPN.com

roywhite
04-14-2010, 09:41 PM
I don't see any indication that Cleveland Melvin has an offer from Duke.

Big Pappa
04-14-2010, 11:10 PM
I don't see any indication that Cleveland Melvin has an offer from Duke.

That is what I was going to ask. Have we even offered the guy? Are we interested in him?

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-14-2010, 11:16 PM
I think we are done with 2010 recruting.

dukeblue225
04-14-2010, 11:36 PM
What's this kid's character like

verga
04-14-2010, 11:52 PM
we may or may not be done, i would think Michael Haynes is a possibility if certain things come together. In regard to Melvin, i have no info.

Capn Poptart
04-16-2010, 12:10 AM
Didn't this slot go to Felix?

Jim3k
04-16-2010, 02:31 AM
Didn't this slot go to Felix?

Pretty much, though Felix technically is class of 2008. He's the same class as Miles. But, because he didn't play his first year in junior college, he has three years of eligibility. Functionally, therefore, he's part of the class of 2009.

That means any 2010 HS wing coming as a late recruit would be competing with him for playing time for three years. At this stage, I don't think Coach K has any interest in a late addition.

rotogod00
05-18-2010, 08:25 AM
To officially close the book on this (although it's been unofficially closed a while now), Melvin verbally committed to DePaul