PDA

View Full Version : Do you want an ACC team to get in if they will lose?

UrinalCake
03-12-2010, 08:46 AM
With Selection Sunday just around the corner, much talk is given to how many teams the ACC will get in. The general consensus seems to be that we want to get in as many teams as posssible. Reasons for this include:

1. Exposure - letting fans nationwide see the ACC teams
2. Recruiting - similar to #1, getting our teams on TV and making noise in the tournament should make recruits want to play for ACC teams
3. Money - teams receive a portion of money for advancing in the tournament, which is split among the league schools. On top of that is fan support and increased alumni donations

However, getting bubble teams into the tournament can also backfire, as last year when we got seven teams in but went 3-4 in the first round, with Maryland losing in the second round. Were it not for UNC winning it all, the tournament would have been considered a catastrophe for the ACC.

So the question I pose is, do you want an ACC to get into the tournament if you know they're going to lose in the first round? This year the teams to keep in mind for this scenario are GT, Wake, Clemson, and even NC State if they can keep it going.

CDu
03-12-2010, 08:48 AM
It's especially relevant this year, because we'll have so many teams that are either in toss-up games or will be expected to lose in the first round.

I think it's always better to get more teams in. Sure, it can result in more early losses. But it can always result in more early upsets in our favor.

Richard Berg
03-12-2010, 09:34 AM
Of course. I can't imagine a scenario in which a bubble team getting left out is preferable to a bubble team making the Dance.

Were it not for UNC winning it all, the tournament would have been considered a catastrophe for the ACC.
In what sense? Would've it be more of a catastrophe (whatever that means) if the marginal teams had been completely snubbed on both the basketball courts AND the bracketology charts?

elvis14
03-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Eventually they are all going to lose, except Duke :D

UrinalCake
03-12-2010, 10:18 AM
I think it's an issue of pride. When a team lobbies hard to get in, then promptly loses, especially if it's an upset, then it looks bad. When it happens to several teams, then it looks bad for the conference as a whole. What does a team gain by losing in the first round?

Kedsy
03-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Every year I'd like 11 ACC teams to make the NCAAT. ABC.