PDA

View Full Version : Syracuse a 2 seed?

I_am_a_Blue_Devil
03-12-2010, 12:43 AM
Do you think that after their recent play that Syracuse could really fall to a two seed like some of the speculation insists? I think they still deserve a one seed based on their season long body of work, and would be terrified to see them as a 2 in Duke's bracket (that is assuming we take care of business of course). I know our projection is to be the one in the west, and i cant imagine them heading out that far, but I could see the selection committee pulling something like that on us. On the other hand, I would love to see them as a 2 in say Kansas' or Kentucky's bracket......

SCMatt33
03-12-2010, 12:50 AM
Their body of work will absolutely get them a 1-seed. The have only four losses, and since Duke is the only team with 5 or less outside the top 3 (I'm assuming Purdue will lose w/o Hummel making their number of losses irrelevant), it would mean that a team with 6 losses or more would have to pass them. Given that they have NO bad losses (worst is home to Louisville (rpi in the 30's)), and better wins than most any team trying to catch them, it would be hard to drop them down, unless Onuaku is out for sure.

Even if Onuaku is out, he is at best their #3 option, and they won't be able to evaluate play without him. They can also delay the announcement until Monday if he is out. That would force the committee to evaluate him as a question mark and I can't see them dropping Syracuse in that case. I'd give this less than a 5% chance of happening overall.

WiJoe
03-12-2010, 01:23 AM
overanalysis or just plain poor analysis.

Syraucse is a 1 seed.

No doubt.

None.

Zip.

Zero.

tommy
03-12-2010, 01:39 AM
Agree. In fact I think they're still the #2 overall behind Kansas. Their body of work, by the numbers, is better than Kentucky's and a loss to a pretty strong Georgetown team on a neutral floor, doesn't change that.

hotbutteredseoul
03-12-2010, 03:54 AM
Syracuse is a one seed, no doubt. What IS now a little doubtful is their future as a one seed. With Onuako hurt and Wes Johnson still a little tender (though finally getting back on form), the depth of the Orange is HIGHLY suspect. Boeheim loves a short rotation, but the fact they only really play 7 deep will hurt if one of their big guys isn't available for the tourney.

Anybody have any updates on Onuako's knee?

MarkD83
03-12-2010, 04:40 AM
If Duke wins the ACCT do they become the "3rd" number 1 ahead of Syracuse?

PumpkinFunk
03-12-2010, 04:41 AM
The only way Syracuse drops a line is if Onuaku is out for the season. Losing one of your shallow 7-man rotation, and your only true big man of the group, generally leads to the committee changing their evaluation of your team.

DukieInBrasil
03-12-2010, 07:26 AM
As of now SU should be a #1 seed. a couple of interesting side-notes were introduced in this thread. I think that SU would be seriously idiotic to announce their "star" PF to be "out", as it could influence the committee's decision making process, possibly (but not likely) to move them to a #2 seed. I think Boeheim is smart enough to know this and won't commit that gaffe. However, if Duke wins the ACCT, they should seriously be considered for the 3rd-best #1 seed, whereas prior to SU's loss, they were the 4th or 5th overall seed. If Duke loses the ACCT we still might get the 4th overall seed though, due to the attrition everywhere else.

CDu
03-12-2010, 07:27 AM
The only way Syracuse drops a line is if Onuaku is out for the season. Losing one of your shallow 7-man rotation, and your only true big man of the group, generally leads to the committee changing their evaluation of your team.

And the committee won't know if Onuaku is out until after they've made their decision. The field is selected on Sunday, and Onuaku won't have an MRI until Monday.

I agree that Onuaku's injury is the only possible reason that Syracuse would be downgraded. But I don't think there'll be enough information on Onuaku to certainly downgrade them.

The single loss isn't going to hurt them that much. I think some people are putting too much stock into the conference tournaments. Sure, they are important, but not THAT important. Syracuse has an entire season's worth of body of work that will offset what wasn't that bad a loss anyway.

barjwr
03-12-2010, 08:14 AM
If Duke wins the ACCT do they become the "3rd" number 1 ahead of Syracuse?

I would think Duke at least has a shot at being the 1-seed in the East if we win the ACCT, while Syracuse would then be shipped out to the West. As we were constantly reminded yesterday by the ESPN crawl, no team has ever won the NCAAs after losing its first game in its conference tournament. That could have some relevance to dropping Syracuse within the top four of the S-curve. (Remember, I said Duke has a shot--not necessarily a good shot.)

Some have ventured a guess that WVU could grab a 1-seed if they win the Big East tourney. I'd have to think that such a win would be less impressive now that 3 of the top 4 seeds have lost in the first round.

MChambers
03-12-2010, 08:19 AM
And the committee won't know if Onuaku is out until after they've made their decision. The field is selected on Sunday, and Onuaku won't have an MRI until Monday.

I agree that Onuaku's injury is the only possible reason that Syracuse would be downgraded. But I don't think there'll be enough information on Onuaku to certainly downgrade them.
I'm not a doctor, but I have to think that if they're not doing the MRI until Monday, they must not think he's seriously hurt. Otherwise, they'd do it today. I can't believe Boeheim and the Syracuse team doctor would play games with that.

airowe
03-12-2010, 08:22 AM
I would think Duke at least has a shot at being the 1-seed in the East if we win the ACCT, while Syracuse would then be shipped out to the West. As we were constantly reminded yesterday by the ESPN crawl, no team has ever won the NCAAs after losing its first game in its conference tournament. That could have some relevance to dropping Syracuse within the top four of the S-curve. (Remember, I said Duke has a shot--not necessarily a good shot.)

Some have ventured a guess that WVU could grab a 1-seed if they win the Big East tourney. I'd have to think that such a win would be less impressive now that 3 of the top 4 seeds have lost in the first round.

Whether or not Duke jumps Syracuse, The Orange will not be in the East Regional. Its possible however, that Duke could move into the South Region ahead of the Cuse, although we need to TCB ourselves before we have that discussion.

PumpkinFunk
03-12-2010, 08:24 AM

I just heard again on SportsCenter that the MRI will be today, so presumably, we'll know one way or another. Boeheim doesn't seem to be the type of coach to jockey for position by covering up an injury. He's not Roy or anything.

DU82
03-12-2010, 08:25 AM
I would think Duke at least has a shot at being the 1-seed in the East if we win the ACCT, while Syracuse would then be shipped out to the West.

Syracuse can't play in the east region, since they are the regional hosts. The question is whether or not the committee will send a regional host that's also a number 1 seed out west (as far away as possible) to keep others closer to home. With the assumption that Kansas will be in St. Louis, the other options are Houston and Salt Lake City. I personally don't see the big difference to Syracuse fans between the two.

Hoping they'll go to Utah, and then Kentucky to their "natural region" and Houston, since Syracuse would be much easier for most of our fans. It would also mean the other three top seeds would stay in their natural region, making Dean Smith happy. :-)

CDu
03-12-2010, 08:40 AM
I'm not a doctor, but I have to think that if they're not doing the MRI until Monday, they must not think he's seriously hurt. Otherwise, they'd do it today. I can't believe Boeheim and the Syracuse team doctor would play games with that.

I'm not a doctor either, but if they think it might torn ligaments, I don't think waiting a few more days to do an MRI will do any harm. I have friends who've waited months to have surgery on a torn ACL - even playing pickup basketball in the interim (with a brace, of course). I could be wrong, but I don't think it would be the end of the world to wait if they're just deciding whether it is a strain or a fully torn ligament.

That said, it does appear that the MRI will be today and not Monday. So it's a moot point.

Deslok
03-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Syracuse can't play in the east region, since they are the regional hosts. The question is whether or not the committee will send a regional host that's also a number 1 seed out west (as far away as possible) to keep others closer to home. With the assumption that Kansas will be in St. Louis, the other options are Houston and Salt Lake City. I personally don't see the big difference to Syracuse fans between the two.

Hoping they'll go to Utah, and then Kentucky to their "natural region" and Houston, since Syracuse would be much easier for most of our fans. It would also mean the other three top seeds would stay in their natural region, making Dean Smith happy. :-)

Yeah, I just have unhappy memories of Syracuse, JWill, Dunleavy, and Boozer's freshman year losing to Florida up in the Carrier Dome and Casey Sanders trying to console Williams as they walked down the tunnel.

blazindw
03-12-2010, 10:38 AM
If we're the 3rd overall seed (behind Kansas and 'Cuse), then we will be in the East over Kentucky. If we're placed out in Salt Lake, it's because we're the 4th overall seed and Kentucky was placed ahead of us (thus getting the East).