PDA

View Full Version : Best of 3 series in NCAA's rather than more teams

noyac
03-11-2010, 03:07 PM
I am linking an interesting article from Fox Sports that the author basically says the NCAA tournament should not expand (I agree) and should include best of three series for every game after the first weekend (sweet 16 and on)

I think this is a good idea in part but in the article it states the finals would be a home and home and the third game would be at the Final Four site. This would be awesome to see a NCAA championship game at Cameron but it contradicts his own reasoning for the expansion and that was money. There is no college basketball arena that can accomodate the amount of fans that the Final Four sites can.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/add-more-games-to-tourney-not-more-teams

I like the tournament the way it is even though the win or go home aspect does not always favor the best teams.

Jarhead
03-11-2010, 04:33 PM
I am linking an interesting article from Fox Sports that the author basically says the NCAA tournament should not expand (I agree) and should include best of three series for every game after the first weekend (sweet 16 and on)

I think this is a good idea in part but in the article it states the finals would be a home and home and the third game would be at the Final Four site. This would be awesome to see a NCAA championship game at Cameron but it contradicts his own reasoning for the expansion and that was money. There is no college basketball arena that can accomodate the amount of fans that the Final Four sites can.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/add-more-games-to-tourney-not-more-teams

I like the tournament the way it is even though the win or go home aspect does not always favor the best teams.

Sounds good, and would be a better way to do it, except that it would take four weeks of three games each for the surviving teams. They would still be playing almost to spring semester exams. That would be a potential of 12 games for the two that go all the way to the finals. Might just as well forget the spring semester for those students. I can't see the presidents allowing it.

WiJoe
03-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Jason Whitlock.

Insane.

Leave that cr*p to the nba.

nyr484
03-11-2010, 05:06 PM
On some level I like the idea. On the other hand, the one-and-done format is pretty damn exciting. It's true that upsets generally happen during the first weekend, but that doesn't mean the current format doesn't produce insanely exciting games in later rounds (because the loser will go home). 2 quick examples off the top of my head (although there are literally dozens of games like this): Memphis vs. Kansas title game (2008), Duke vs. Kentucky regional final (Laettner shot). Imagine if those games were game 1 or game 2 of a three-game series. Lame.

davekay1971
03-11-2010, 05:17 PM
No no no no no no no.

The best part about the tournament is the one and done format. It's one of the things that makes the tournament special, and one of the things that makes it much, much better than the NBA playoffs.

The NCAA tournament doesn't guarantee the best team wins, and that's part of the greatness of it. It's the best team on any given night, for 6 straight games, that wins. That's how you get NCSU winning in '83 or Villanova winning in '85.

Sometimes your team ends up the beneficiary of that (would Duke have beaten UNLV in a best of 3 series in 1991?), sometimes the loser. But the fans always win because each game is win-or-go-home. Duke-KY 1992 doesn't happen in a 3 game format. That game was lightning in a bottle.

Dukeford
03-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Would love to have had 2 more games with LSU back in '06..........

Cameron
03-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Fail. To use Internet lingo.

The NCAA tournament, like high school basketball tournaments, is great because of the "one and done" format. It's all or nothing. You literally win, or go home. What's more exciting than that?

If anyone here actually wants an NBA-like playoff format to take over the greatest spectacle in U.S. sport, then that person is certifiable. Sorry, but that's the truth.

devildownunder
03-11-2010, 09:04 PM

The NCAA tournament, like high school basketball tournaments, is great because of the "one and done" format. It's all or nothing. You literally win, or go home. What's more exciting than that?

If anyone here actually wants an NBA-like playoff format to take over the greatest spectacle in U.S. sport, then that person is certifiable. Sorry, but that's the truth.

To add more internet lingo...

This.

loran16
03-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Agreed with the others....the one and done may not result in the best team winning all the time....but well, that's what's so great about it! Underdogs do have a chance! It's unpredictable!

And it's fun!

It means a lot more to me to see the team win 6 straight games than it would to win a few series. So much harder, and so much more awesome.

Newton_14
03-11-2010, 09:30 PM

Agree. I would go to the other extreme. I would leave the NCAA Tourney exactly the way it is, but....

Change the NBA playoffs to one and done. Let all of the teams in the playoffs and watch the millionaire's sweat under the same pressure the college kids face in March Madness every year. Now that would be worth watching....

"May Madness" NBA Style..

An NBA Final Four in a one and done format? Sweet...