PDA

View Full Version : Georgetown vs. Syracuse

rotogod00
03-11-2010, 01:41 PM
G'Town up 9 with 5:30 to play. If they hold on, improves our resume some.

1999ballboy
03-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Ouch. This does NOT look good (Onuaku's knee injury). What a potentially terrible break for Syracuse. Hope it's not as bad as it looks.

JaMarcus Russell
03-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Definitely looks like a tough break for Syracuse. Onuaku is a tough guy, and he looked to be in a great deal of pain.

On an unrelated note, Greg Monroe is getting near the level of Rasheed Wallace when it comes to complaining about calls.

SilkyJ
03-11-2010, 01:53 PM
GTown went on a big run when it was 48-57 'cuse with about 14 minutes left. 7 minutes later it was 70-61.

76-72, Gtown up. Last TV timeout.

SCMatt33
03-11-2010, 01:56 PM
I couldn't really tell from the replay, but it makes a big difference if it came on the contact or on the landing. If it was the contact, it could be like Lance, very painful and looks very bad, but ultimately something that can be played through. If it was the landing, it could be a Hummel situation. I seriously hope it's the former, but am afraid it might be the latter.

Channing
03-11-2010, 01:56 PM
if cuse lose, and Duke and Purdue win their conference tourneys, does cuse fall to the second row?

SilkyJ
03-11-2010, 01:57 PM
if cuse lose, and Duke and Purdue win their conference tourneys, does cuse fall to the second row?

I would say very possible, but not definite. Would be amazing if we could get #1 seed in the East instead of the West.

Also, both teams are shooting 57% for the game and are a combined 15-35 from 3. The difference in this game is Cuse's 17 TOs to GTowns 10.

Damn this is a great game and I wish AT&T would let me stream ESPN 360...

rotogod00
03-11-2010, 01:58 PM

don't think so, unless the injury is serious, in which case they might possibly factor that in

CDu
03-11-2010, 01:59 PM

Well, I don't see any way Purdue wins the Big-10 tourney without Hummel, so it's probably moot. In either case, I'd suspect that Syracuse would stay ahead of Purdue, and maybe even stay ahead of us.

RelativeWays
03-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Big East refs must have instructions to protect their number one seed. Some of those reach arounds were definitely fouls.

noyac
03-11-2010, 02:02 PM
At haltime of the C'use G'town game some espn reporter (maybe Lunardi don't remember was on lunch from work) said they think the only team other than Duke that has a chance to get the last No. 1 seed is WVU if and only if they win the Big East Tourney.

juise
03-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Would be amazing if we could get #1 seed in the East instead of the West.

I don't think Syracuse will fall further than #1 in the west region. You can't fault them too much for losing to a top 20 team (who they've already beaten twice) after suffering a key injury. Obviously, we want Syracuse's loss to benefit Duke, but the team who Syracuse will potentially lose to also shredded Duke's defense.

If the injury is a big deal (and I hope it's not), I wonder if they withhold that information until after the bracket has been finalized.

rotogod00
03-11-2010, 02:04 PM
At haltime of the C'use G'town game some espn reporter (maybe Lunardi don't remember was on lunch from work) said they think the only team other than Duke that has a chance to get the last No. 1 seed is WVU if and only if they win the Big East Tourney.

but if they don't have to beat syracuse to win the title, they still might not overtake us

noyac
03-11-2010, 02:06 PM
but if they don't have to beat syracuse to win the title, they still might not overtake us

It looks like they won't have a chance to beat 'Cuse. I can't believe I am rooting for G'town.

rotogod00
03-11-2010, 02:06 PM
I don't think Syracuse will fall further than #1 in the west region. You can't fault them too much for losing to a top 20 team (who they've already beaten twice) after suffering a key injury. Obviously, we want Syracuse's loss to benefit Duke, but the team who Syracuse will potentially lose to also shredded Duke's defense.

If the injury is a big deal (and I hope it's not), I wonder if they withhold that information until after the bracket has been finalized.

a team would never, ever do such a thing, would they?

Duvall
03-11-2010, 02:11 PM

Which is now likely, with the losses by Syracuse and Louisville.

noyac
03-11-2010, 02:11 PM
I think this game just shows that every team is vulnerable and can lose at any point in the NCAA's. G'town scored 91 pts on the Cuse zone that is soooo great and is the toughest D in the country blah blah blah. If you ask me Duke's D is playing pretty tough right now avergaing giving up less than 60pts a game over the last ten games.

rotogod00
03-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Which is now likely, with the losses by Syracuse and Louisville.

but again, with an easier road to travel, we still may beat them to the top line

CrazieDUMB
03-11-2010, 02:15 PM
So we don't really know much here, but if Onuaku is injured, and with this loss, is there any chance 'Cuse loses a 1 seed? In which case maybe both Duke and WVa get a 1 seed?

I love this time of year

InSpades
03-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Sometimes I feel like teams with a bye are at a disadvantage in these conference tournaments. The other team is used to the nets/rims, the arena, the crowds. Usually it's not such a big deal because in a #1 vs. #8 matchup there is a big talent disparity but this was a tough draw for 'Cuse.

It will be interesting to see how Georgetown handles 3 games in 3 days without much of a bench (and possibly 4 in 4).

I doubt this will hurt Syracuse too much in seeding. Do they get a #2 if Duke and West Virginia win out? Probably not.

rotogod00
03-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Sometimes I feel like teams with a bye are at a disadvantage in these conference tournaments. The other team is used to the nets/rims, the arena, the crowds. Usually it's not such a big deal because in a #1 vs. #8 matchup there is a big talent disparity but this was a tough draw for 'Cuse.

It will be interesting to see how Georgetown handles 3 games in 3 days without much of a bench (and possibly 4 in 4).

I doubt this will hurt Syracuse too much in seeding. Do they get a #2 if Duke and West Virginia win out? Probably not.

read above

whereinthehellami
03-11-2010, 02:17 PM
I thought the Cuse and Hoyas looked pretty good in stretches but on the whole didn't look that impressive to me. IOW I could see them making a run at the final four but could also see them getting bounced earlier and wouldn't be suprised.

rotogod00
03-11-2010, 02:19 PM
So we don't really know much here, but if Onuaku is injured, and with this loss, is there any chance 'Cuse loses a 1 seed? In which case maybe both Duke and WVa get a 1 seed?

I love this time of year

think the only chance they lose a spot on the top line is if the injury is season ending. and even with this, think they still get a #1. maybe out west, though

Duvall
03-11-2010, 02:20 PM
but again, with an easier road to travel, we still may beat them to the top line

With Syracuse out, I'm not sure it matters. If both Duke and West Virginia win their respective tournaments, then West Virginia would have a significantly stronger claim to a #1 seed. And West Virginia is now the favorite to win their tournament.

SCMatt33
03-11-2010, 02:20 PM
I would say very possible, but not definite. Would be amazing if we could get #1 seed in the East instead of the West.

Actually, since Syracuse can't play in the East, this has absolutely no affect on our ability to play there. Kentucky's preferred (closest) region outside of St. Louis is Syracuse. The only two ways that Duke gets the East are for Kentucky to pass Kansas and get the number 1 overall seed (Texas Tech is close to them right now on ESPN2, root hard for them) or for Duke to pass Kentucky. Duke passing Syracuse makes the possibility of Duke in Houston and Cuse in SLC possible, but has no bearing on the East.

On another note, this loss helps us with WVA and NOVA. I'm guessing that many of the analysts assumed that one of those teams winning involved beating Syracuse. This would make it easier for them to win the tourney, but make winning the tourney less impressive.

rotogod00
03-11-2010, 02:23 PM
With Syracuse out, I'm not sure it matters. If both Duke and West Virginia win their respective tournaments, then West Virginia would have a significantly stronger claim to a #1 seed. And West Virginia is now the favorite to win their tournament.

what i'm saying is if they don't have to beat syracuse to win the title, does the above remain true?

OldSchool
03-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Would be amazing if we could get #1 seed in the East instead of the West.

Maybe it would be better for us NOT to be in the Carrier Dome given how important 3-pt shooting is for us. A normal basketball stadium might be better for our shooters.

rotogod00
03-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Actually, since Syracuse can't play in the East, this has absolutely no affect on our ability to play there. Kentucky's preferred (closest) region outside of St. Louis is Syracuse. The only two ways that Duke gets the East are for Kentucky to pass Kansas and get the number 1 overall seed (Texas Tech is close to them right now on ESPN2, root hard for them) or for Duke to pass Kentucky. Duke passing Syracuse makes the possibility of Duke in Houston and Cuse in SLC possible, but has no bearing on the East.

On another note, this loss helps us with WVA and NOVA. I'm guessing that many of the analysts assumed that one of those teams winning involved beating Syracuse. This would make it easier for them to win the tourney, but make winning the tourney less impressive.

what i've been trying to say

Duvall
03-11-2010, 02:25 PM
what i'm saying is if they don't have to beat syracuse to win the title, does the above remain true?

Yes. They'll still have to beat Georgetown, Villanova or Marquette, all of whom are at least comparable to anyone Duke could beat in the ACC Tournament. That plus their semifinal win would give them a better resume than Duke can assemble.

InSpades
03-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Yes. They'll still have to beat Georgetown, Villanova or Marquette, all of whom are at least comparable to anyone Duke could beat in the ACC Tournament. That plus their semifinal win would give them a better resume than Duke can assemble.

WV could play Cincy, Notre Dame and Marquette in the BE tournament (winning it all). I don't think that would be near as tough as UVA, VA Tech/Wake and Maryland. I guess it depends how the rest of the BE tournament plays out. If they beat Pitt and 'Nova to win it all then they'd certainly have a case. West Virginia actually has a pretty good resume if you ask me.

DukeGirl4ever
03-11-2010, 02:32 PM
a team would never, ever do such a thing, would they?

Was UNC ever completely honest with Lawson's injury last year? I think they tried to keep some of that stuff under wraps as best as they could.

I can think of a few times where an injury was kept hush hush, but for the life of me, I can't think of specific names right now.

arydolphin
03-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Maybe it would be better for us NOT to be in the Carrier Dome given how important 3-pt shooting is for us. A normal basketball stadium might be better for our shooters.

The only Sweet 16/Elite 8 site that is a "normal" basketball stadium is Salt Lake City. Houston, St. Louis, and Syracuse are all domes.

Kansas is going to St. Louis, regardless of what they do in the Big 12 tourney. It would be hard for Kentucky to fall out of the top 2, so assume they're going to Syracuse. I really want Duke to be in Houston because I have tickets there, but I think that even if Duke wins the ACC they may still go to Salt Lake City because Syracuse would probably still have a better overall profile. The bracketologists online all pretty much agree on Kansas to the St. Louis region and Kentucky to Syracuse; the question is where Syracuse and the 4th #1 seed go.

David
03-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Sometimes I feel like teams with a bye are at a disadvantage in these conference tournaments. The other team is used to the nets/rims, the arena, the crowds.

I also think there might be something to this.

As an aside, I seem to remember that Dean Smith used to make this argument back in the days of the unbalanced NCAA tournament where higher seeds got a 1st rd bye. Do others remember this?

superdave
03-11-2010, 02:49 PM
I dont see any way Syracuse drops to a #2. No matter what happens to knees or other teams. They have been the best team in the country for 6 weeks now.

Devil07
03-11-2010, 03:05 PM
It looks like Onuaku's injury wasn't too serious. No idea whether or not he'll be limited but this is good news to hear:

Onuaku’s mother, Anastasia, said after the game that X-rays on her son’s knee were negative.

“He’s fine,” she said. “He’ll be back for the N.C.A.A. tournament.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/12/sports/ncaabasketball/12georgetown.html?hp

DukeGirl4ever
03-11-2010, 03:11 PM
It looks like Onuaku's injury wasn't too serious. No idea whether or not he'll be limited but this is good news to hear:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/12/sports/ncaabasketball/12georgetown.html?hp

X-rays don't necessarily show ligament damage....I'm more interested to hear the MRI report.

rotogod00
03-11-2010, 03:17 PM
X-rays don't necessarily show ligament damage....I'm more interested to hear the MRI report.

and personally, i'm more interested in hearing from a team rep/doctor than his mother

DukeGirl4ever
03-11-2010, 03:18 PM
and personally, i'm more interested in hearing from a team rep/doctor than his mother

True that!

juise
03-11-2010, 03:19 PM

What, you don't think they're in on the injury-hiding conspiracy too? :p

(Again, I hope that he'll be ready to go for the tournament.)

rotogod00
03-11-2010, 03:22 PM
What, you don't think they're in on the injury-hiding conspiracy too? :p

(Again, I hope that he'll be ready to go for the tournament.)

lol. they probably fed her that quote anyway

Udaman
03-11-2010, 03:51 PM
As I said before...Syracuse doesn't worry me. They've now lost 2 straight, including their first game in their tournament. I'm fairly certain that no team has lost in their first game of their conference tournament and gone on to win the National Championship (and I'm almost as certain that no team has done that and then gone on to the Final Four). It certainly hasn't happened in the last 20 years.

Syracuse should lose their #1 seed from this...but they likely won't. And this does hurt us now, because West Virginia gets an easier path to winning their tournament. If they do...we will have to win the ACC tourney to get the last #1 seed (and we would likely then have West Virginia as our #2).

Truthfully, I sort of hope now that we are the #2 seed in Syracuse's bracket. They simply don't worry me that much.

juise
03-11-2010, 04:03 PM
I'm fairly certain that no team has lost in their first game of their conference tournament and gone on to win the National Championship (and I'm almost as certain that no team has done that and then gone on to the Final Four).

UConn lost their first Big East tournament game (in 60T's) last year and then went to the Final Four. I was too lazy to research any further than that.

DukeCO2009
03-11-2010, 04:26 PM
As I said before...Syracuse doesn't worry me. They've now lost 2 straight, including their first game in their tournament. I'm fairly certain that no team has lost in their first game of their conference tournament and gone on to win the National Championship (and I'm almost as certain that no team has done that and then gone on to the Final Four). It certainly hasn't happened in the last 20 years.

Syracuse should lose their #1 seed from this...but they likely won't. And this does hurt us now, because West Virginia gets an easier path to winning their tournament. If they do...we will have to win the ACC tourney to get the last #1 seed (and we would likely then have West Virginia as our #2).

Truthfully, I sort of hope now that we are the #2 seed in Syracuse's bracket. They simply don't worry me that much.

IIRC, Cuse lost in the opening round of the Big East Tourney when they won it all a few years back with Melo.

mapei
03-11-2010, 04:29 PM
The preliminary buzz in Big East fandom is that Onaoku will *likely* be OK. Not sure of the sources. I don't think SU will lose their 1 seed, though. If Duke had beaten UMCP and then won the ACC, maybe, but I'm not sure Purdue or tOSU has a particularly strong claim.

greybead should be pleased at the way the Hoyas worked the Princeton O to perfection today. Monroe is about as good a high-post player as I can remember.

Eternal Outlaw
03-11-2010, 04:41 PM
IIRC, Cuse lost in the opening round of the Big East Tourney when they won it all a few years back with Melo.

Everything I have seen says they made the semi-finals that year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Big_East_Men%27s_Basketball_Tournament

dukeblue42323
03-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Does anyone know if Onoaku is injured bad??

Kedsy
03-11-2010, 06:14 PM
I dont see any way Syracuse drops to a #2. No matter what happens to knees or other teams. They have been the best team in the country for 6 weeks now.

I know UConn did it last year (and in my opinion they didn't deserve it), but how often does a team who loses in their conference quarterfinals get a #1 seed? I haven't done this research, but I can't imagine it happens all that often. Syracuse may indeed get a #1 seed, but I don't see it as anywhere close to a lock, especially if West Virginia, Ohio State (or Purdue, but that seems a lot less likely without Hummel), and Duke all win their conference tournaments.

dukeblue42323
03-11-2010, 06:21 PM

roywhite
03-11-2010, 06:26 PM
greybead should be pleased at the way the Hoyas worked the Princeton O to perfection today. Monroe is about as good a high-post player as I can remember.

Georgetown shot 15-19 from inside the 3-pt arc in the second half; 27-39 overall for the game. Wow.

juise
03-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Georgetown shot 15-19 from inside the 3-pt arc in the second half; 27-39 overall for the game. Wow.

Painfully familiar shooting percentages for them, eh?

CDu
03-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Painfully familiar shooting percentages for them, eh?

Actually, that's way better than they shot against us from 3. They were "only" 6-13 from 3 against us. Their FG% against us was buoyed largely by running layup drills.

Whoops - misread the previous post. INSIDE the arc, not outside the arc. Nevermind my previous comment.

Kedsy
03-11-2010, 06:57 PM

I'm glad we're not the only top 5 team they've done that against. Although they actually shot a couple percentage points higher against us.

devildownunder
03-11-2010, 10:57 PM

I do follow Syracuse closely, so I'm biased, but unless Onuaku's injury keeps him from playing, I don't think Syracuse loses its 1-seed. Georgetown, despite being an 8-seed, is going to has an RPI of 13 (according to realtimeRPI.com) and Syracuse has two wins over them. They also completely dominated the regular season before these two losses. Historically, the committee does not punish teams that were truly dominant all year for a brief stumble at the end against good competition but DOES punish teams that lose key players, on the grounds that part of seeding is perceived readiness to compete for a national championship.

greybeard
03-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Wheb Georgetown's offense is working, it is a thing of beauty. Makes the game look easy, involves everyone, and is near unstoppable. Puts enormous pressure on the other team on the offensive end. You miss, you pay. You leave someone open, he gets to a good spot, you pay.

If they played 20 games instead of 30, their winning percentage would be much higher. JTIII is amazing at involving his players in game planning offensive tweaks and points of emphasis to meet an opponents strengths and weaknesses. "We figure it out," he says, and he means exactly that.

One of the great coaches.

juise
03-12-2010, 12:30 AM
If they played 20 games instead of 30, their winning percentage would be much higher.

Care to explain? Are you suggesting that their offense is easier to deal with when a team has seen it once before? (This isn't necessarily supported by their conference results.)

CDu
03-12-2010, 08:47 AM
If they played 20 games instead of 30, their winning percentage would be much higher. JTIII is amazing at involving his players in game planning offensive tweaks and points of emphasis to meet an opponents strengths and weaknesses. "We figure it out," he says, and he means exactly that.

One of the great coaches.

I agree with most of what you said, but I'm not sure what the bolded comment means. I would have said "if they had shown up to play in all 30 of their games, they'd have a much higher winning percentage." There's no reason that they couldn't have beaten USF or Old Dominion at home. There's no reason to lose to Rutgers period.

When their offense is clicking, they're really hard to stop. It's just that sometimes they don't bring it. But they can beat any team in the country when they show up.

Duvall
03-12-2010, 09:06 AM

No, and Syracuse is making sure it stays that way until the pairings are announced.