PDA

View Full Version : ACC Tournament Discussion Thread

pfrduke
03-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Virginia looking fiesty thus far against BC.

Question; do all postseason tournaments, including the CBI and CIT, require at least a .500 record to participate? Because if that's the case, then a loss to Virginia would end BC's season.

PumpkinFunk
03-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Virginia looking fiesty thus far against BC.

Question; do all postseason tournaments, including the CBI and CIT, require at least a .500 record to participate? Because if that's the case, then a loss to Virginia would end BC's season.

None of them do. The NIT uses the NCAA criteria, which all but eliminates sub-500 teams. The CBI and CIT don't require a .500 record, but those two are all for the money and so you have to think that they wouldn't want BC to play as they can't really sell tickets for a bad matchup.

1999ballboy
03-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Sammy Zeglinski is on fire. He's looking like a natural floor leader out there with Landesberg out and Scott struggling. I'm expecting a good game tomorrow if UVA wins this, though it's fair to say our team defense is a lot better than BC's. Right now, Sammy Z is making their D pay for a lot of mistakes.

roywhite
03-11-2010, 01:16 PM
http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2010/mar/11/102025/all-time-team-results/sports-college-basketball/

Some interesting notes from the all-time ACC Tournament records of the schools:

UNC 84-38 17 titles
Duke 84-39 17 titles

I have a feeling that Duke will have the better record after this weekend. :)

On the bottom end:
Clemson 16-56 0 titles

That's 16 wins in 56 years! Ouch.

UrinalCake
03-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Perhaps this is some good karma coming back to UVA. You have to respect Bennet for his decision - it's one thing to kick a walk-on off the team and talk about integrity, it's another matter entirely to boot your best player.

Despite the ugliness, this is turning into a pretty entertaining game. All 50 people at the Greensboro Colliseum must be enjoying it.

-bdbd
03-11-2010, 01:28 PM
http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2010/mar/11/102025/all-time-team-results/sports-college-basketball/

UNC 84-38 17 titles
Duke 84-39 17 titles

On the bottom end:
Clemson 16-56 0 titles

Yeah, but UNC thinks the ACCT doesn't matter. At least not in those years when ole Huck again disappoints...

;-)

OldPhiKap
03-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Yeah, but UNC thinks the ACCT doesn't matter. At least not in those years when ole Huck again disappoints...

;-)

But how many Helms Trophies do we have?

noyac
03-11-2010, 02:16 PM
I don't know how many of you play "Streak for the Cash" on espn.com but one of the games is UNC v GT pick the winner. Seems like a lock?

whereinthehellami
03-11-2010, 02:27 PM
UVA played 4 guys over 30 minutes while BC didn't play any over 30 minutes. UVA lives to play tomorrow but will they have tired legs in the 2nd half? Will it matter? Hopefully Duke will have the oppotrunity to play deep into their bench. UVA doesn't match up well against Duke.

PumpkinFunk
03-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Wake vs. a Dwayne Collins-less Miami team. If Wake finds a way to lose this game, I'm not sure they deserve an NCAA tournament bid. Miami with Collins was bad. Without him, they're terrible.

Saratoga2
03-11-2010, 02:30 PM
UVA played 4 guys over 30 minutes while BC didn't play any over 30 minutes. UVA lives to play tomorrow but will they have tired legs in the 2nd half? Will it matter? Hopefully Duke will have the oppotrunity to play deep into their bench. UVA doesn't match up well against Duke.

There are no easy games in the ACC tournament. We have to go out there and play hard and well if we expect to advance.

OldSchool
03-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Strange how Wake makes such poor offensive use of Aminu, with his tremendous skills. It seems like Ish Smith dribbling in circles and then throwing up a circus shot is their default offense.

Miami's offense has basically degenerated into jacking up 3s. But with Wake not playing very smart, that might be enough.

noyac
03-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Looks like Miami is holding their own for the first 10 min of the game. Wish I could watch. I am out of market and non espn360.com eligible due to my internets service provider.

What really pisses me off is that I paid $120 for ESPN Full Court and I am stuck at work.

BlueintheFace
03-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Miami came out swinging against WFU. Wouldn't that be fortuitous? (knock on wood)

noyac
03-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Aminu is having another great game so far.

jjasper0729
03-11-2010, 03:13 PM
wow.. wake is really in the tank the last couple of weeks... down 14 to the 'canes...

Matches
03-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Wake is lucky the Selection Committee eliminated "last 12 games" as a criteria.

CDu
03-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Miami came out swinging against WFU. Wouldn't that be fortuitous? (knock on wood)

That depends upon whether or not you think Miami can beat VT. It may be that all this does is increase the likelihood that we play VT in round 2 (if we're fortunate enough to get by UVa, of course).

So the real question is, would you rather face VT or Wake in Round 2 (with an outside chance at playing Miami)?

rotogod00
03-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Wake is lucky the Selection Committee eliminated "last 12 games" as a criteria.

with a loss today, would still be respectable 6-6. now, if it was "last 6 games"

rotogod00
03-11-2010, 03:37 PM
wow, wake down 22 right now. thought they were firmly in the tourney, but would a 20+ point loss to a "bad" team, change that?

CDu
03-11-2010, 03:41 PM
wow, wake down 22 right now. thought they were firmly in the tourney, but would a 20+ point loss to a "bad" team, change that?

I think margin of victory is not explicitly considered, so it shouldn't hurt. And Wake has enough good wins to overcome these clunkers down the stretch.

But it's a pretty awful loss, and considering that Aminu has disappeared down the stretch it doesn't bode well for Wake's chances once they get into the tourney.

CameronBlue

UNC 84-38 17 titles
Duke 84-39 17 titles

On the bottom end:
Clemson 16-56 0 titles

56 tournaments played, okay so the number of losses + the number of titles must equal 56 for ACC charter members which I think both UNC and Duke are. So why does UNC's tally of losses and titles = 55? I don't recall them ever being banned from the tournament (though it must've surely been touch and go with the tournament committee this year) nor has there been a 3rd place game, nor a UNC title vacated.

Matches
I think Wake'll still get in but I hope they enjoy being an 11 seed.

jjasper0729
03-11-2010, 03:44 PM
aminu has vanished... it's like he has absolutely no interest in playing lately... wonder how this is going to affect his draft stock... i know the nba likes potential, but what about potential apathy?

BlueintheFace
03-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Agreed on Aminu, he has almost ZERO assertiveness.

MChambers
03-11-2010, 03:51 PM
That depends upon whether or not you think Miami can beat VT. It may be that all this does is increase the likelihood that we play VT in round 2 (if we're fortunate enough to get by UVa, of course).

So the real question is, would you rather face VT or Wake in Round 2 (with an outside chance at playing Miami)?

In terms of winning, I think we'd beat Wake more often than VT, especially the way Wake has played lately. In terms of health, I'd rather play VT, although I realize they're not a finesse team.

Wake might have been good for MP1 and MP2, of course.

superdave
03-11-2010, 04:05 PM
A friend of mine who went to Wake said he thought they'd lose out and go to the NIT - that was two weeks ago.

Who is Gaudio bringing in next year? Any reason he shouldnt be replaced by an up and comer or a vet coach?

MChambers
03-11-2010, 04:07 PM
A friend of mine who went to Wake said he thought they'd lose out and go to the NIT - that was two weeks ago.

Who is Gaudio bringing in next year? Any reason he shouldnt be replaced by an up and comer or a vet coach?

He's a second year coach, right, who took over in incredibly difficult circumstances. And Wake's not the easiest place in the ACC to build a team. I'd give him time.

roywhite
03-11-2010, 04:07 PM
56 tournaments played, okay so the number of losses + the number of titles must equal 56 for ACC charter members which I think both UNC and Duke are. So why does UNC's tally of losses and titles = 55? I don't recall them ever being banned from the tournament (though it must've surely been touch and go with the tournament committee this year) nor has there been a 3rd place game, nor a UNC title vacated.

UNC withdrew from the 1961 tournament.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina_Tar_Heels_men's_basketball#Frank_Mc Guire_.281953.E2.80.931961.29

From the wiki history:

In 1960, the Tar Heels were placed on NCAA probation for "improper recruiting entertainment" of basketball prospects—to date, the only time any sport at UNC has been sanctioned by the NCAA. As a result, they were barred from the 1961 NCAA tournament[20] and also withdrew from the 1961 ACC Tournament. Following the season, Chancellor William Aycock forced McGuire to resign. As a replacement, Aycock selected one of McGuire's assistants, Kansas alum Dean Smith.

BlueintheFace
03-11-2010, 04:08 PM
So Duke-UVA and Va. Tech-Miami

roywhite
03-11-2010, 04:12 PM
He's a second year coach, right, who took over in incredibly difficult circumstances. And Wake's not the easiest place in the ACC to build a team. I'd give him time.

He probably will be treated fairly by Wellman and the Wake Forest administration, but IMO Dino is not up to the job.

Living in the Winston-Salem area, I do hear some grumbling from Deacon Club folks, but it's not (yet) a full scale hanging party.

InSpades
03-11-2010, 04:17 PM
I noticed this before about Miami but now it's even more pronounced. Miami has 5 ACC wins (after this) and 4 of them will be against the top 7 ACC teams (the 7 we expect to make the NCAAs). This makes them 4-7 against the top 7 and 1-5 against the bottom 5. Could they be any less helpful to the conference as far as NCAA bids go? It's kind of remarkable.

superdave
03-11-2010, 04:22 PM
He probably will be treated fairly by Wellman and the Wake Forest administration, but IMO Dino is not up to the job.

Living in the Winston-Salem area, I do hear some grumbling from Deacon Club folks, but it's not (yet) a full scale hanging party.

How many years in a row does his team have to quit on him? He probably desrves another year - but they are losing a lot with Aminu to the NBA and Ish/McF/L.D. to graduation. Ouch.

pfrduke
03-11-2010, 04:24 PM
I noticed this before about Miami but now it's even more pronounced. Miami has 5 ACC wins (after this) and 4 of them will be against the top 7 ACC teams (the 7 we expect to make the NCAAs). This makes them 4-7 against the top 7 and 1-5 against the bottom 5. Could they be any less helpful to the conference as far as NCAA bids go? It's kind of remarkable.

Yeah, we really needed a team like Iowa or Depaul in the conference that would just roll over to everybody good. The ACC hasn't really had too many of those recently.

dukelifer
03-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Lets hope the trend of lower seeds winning in this round stops tonight.

OldPhiKap
03-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Lets hope the trend of lower seeds winning in this round stops tonight.

It looks to me that, in the first two games, one team really came ready to play and the other walked through the motion. If that trend continues, GT should trounce.

Vincetaylor
03-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Wake doesn't deserve to go to the NCAA. They aren't good. 9-7 in the ACC this year isn't really saying much. Getting smoked by Miami and losing to UNC at home in the final stretch is really, really bad. Tech doesn't deserve to go if they lose to UNC tonight...though I doubt that will happen.

TNDukeFan
03-11-2010, 07:06 PM
The "young, inexperienced" Heels start two seniors and a junior...

CDu
03-11-2010, 07:42 PM
The "young, inexperienced" Heels start two seniors and a junior...

Well, everyone else is a freshman or a sophomore. So they are pretty young and inexperienced.

That said, GT is playing like the young, inexperienced team right now. They look tentative and impatient. UNC is making the plays and looking a bit like the team people thought they'd be before the season.

This is gross.

Gewebe14
03-11-2010, 07:50 PM
The winner of this Ga. Tech/nc game should be dubbed "Team who underachieved slightly less but still looked pretty bad and lazy doing it."

CDu
03-11-2010, 07:52 PM
It's a 10-point game at the half. GT just putting up an embarassing performance, and UNC is playing one of its best games of the season.

YourLandlord
03-11-2010, 07:56 PM
This is an absolute joke.

I never understand how good teams (or, in this case, the better team) fails to show up in CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT GAMES.

Forget the conference tournament, some of these teams are playing for an NCAA tournament berth (see: Ga Tech) or at least more advantageous seeding.

It is unbelievable to me that Roy Williams has motivated his team to play simply to avoid a .500 record and potential NIT snub better than Hewitt has motivated his team to play FOR THE NCAA TOURNAMENT.

Disgusting. Puke.

dukelifer
03-11-2010, 08:02 PM
It's a 10-point game at the half. GT just putting up an embarassing performance, and UNC is playing one of its best games of the season.

I was afraid of this. A team that gets crushed like UNC either folds or fights. Looks like UNC got it all out this week and are ready to start over now. Some team needs to step up and beat them before they start believing again.

bass-piscator
03-11-2010, 08:03 PM
I'm sorry I have to disagree. UNC sucks this game. Take away Zeller and maybe Henson and they are pitiful. Even with them they are pitiful. G-Tech is just sucking worse. How many 3pt clangers from both teams!!!

Duke would destory either of these teams tonight. I mean destory. And that makes me happy.

And can you believe the ESPN announcer saying that UNC is coming on in March when they were embarassed in Durham a couple of days ago. LOL!!!!

God knows the love fest in IC right now.

pfrduke
03-11-2010, 08:03 PM
This is an absolute joke.

I never understand how good teams (or, in this case, the better team) fails to show up in CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT GAMES.

Forget the conference tournament, some of these teams are playing for an NCAA tournament berth (see: Ga Tech) or at least more advantageous seeding.

It is unbelievable to me that Roy Williams has motivated his team to play simply to avoid a .500 record and potential NIT snub better than Hewitt has motivated his team to play FOR THE NCAA TOURNAMENT.

Disgusting. Puke.

I really want to know who Paul Hewitt has pictures of. Aside from the Final Four trip in 2004 (which is now 6 long years ago), his teams have constantly underachieved (and that team underachieved, too, until the NCAA Tournament). Maybe he's succeeding at the other aspects of his job (i.e., helping kids get and stay on track to graduate), but he's not a good basketball coach.

DukeCO2009
03-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Mike Patrick is absolutely slobbering over UNC tonight. Just won't shut up. If you're watching you know what I'm talking about. It's disgusting.

CDu
03-11-2010, 08:05 PM
I'm sorry I have to disagree. UNC sucks this game. Take away Zeller and maybe Henson and they are pitiful. Even with them they are pitiful. G-Tech is just sucking worse. How many 3pt clangers from both teams!!!

Duke would destory either of these teams tonight. I mean destory. And that makes me happy.

And can you believe the ESPN announcer saying that UNC is coming on in March when they were embarassed in Durham a couple of days ago. LOL!!!!

God knows the love fest in IC right now.

UNC is moving the ball well and getting a ton of easy looks at the basket. They aren't playing pitifully. If they'd hit a few more of their point blank shots, they'd be up by 15-20.

UNC isn't shooting well from 3, but they're getting GREAT looks at the basket right now.

It doesn't hurt that GT is playing very poorly. But UNC is not playing poorly, either.

CDu
03-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Something got into GT at halftime. They've come out playing with some passion. 7-0 run to start the half, and it's a 3-point game!

Eternal Outlaw
03-11-2010, 08:12 PM
UNC is moving the ball well and getting a ton of easy looks at the basket. They aren't playing pitifully. If they'd hit a few more of their point blank shots, they'd be up by 15-20.

UNC isn't shooting well from 3, but they're getting GREAT looks at the basket right now.

It doesn't hurt that GT is playing very poorly. But UNC is not playing poorly, either.

Not watching but the stats I see is UNC shooting 33% FG and 14% 3pt. That's a bad percentage if they are getting a ton of easy looks.

CDu
03-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Not watching but the stats I see is UNC shooting 33% FG and 14% 3pt. That's a bad percentage if they are getting a ton of easy looks.

Yes. They've missed a TON of layups. They certainly haven't shot well from 3, but they were moving the ball well and getting point-blank shots. They showed a montage of the missed layups as they neared the half.

In the second half, however, UNC has thankfully started to revert to old form.

MChambers
03-11-2010, 08:21 PM
I was afraid of this. A team that gets crushed like UNC either folds or fights. Looks like UNC got it all out this week and are ready to start over now. Some team needs to step up and beat them before they start believing again.

I know just the team to do it on Sunday. Go for the Triple Crown! Sadly, I don't expect UNC to be around on Sunday.

pfrduke
03-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Aaaaaand we're tied. Now all Tech has to do is win a 12 minute game against the 3rd-worst team in the conference.

CDu
03-11-2010, 08:38 PM
GT is crazy. It's like as soon as they got back in the game, they decided to stop doing what got them back in the game. They've gotten the ball to Favors/Lawal/Peacock around the rim, which drew fouls, scored points, created space for easy 3s, and cut into the lead. Now that they're back, Shumpert is chucking contested long threes (and missing).

jjasper0729
03-11-2010, 08:45 PM
tech sucks... they have the advantage inside and they just wanna throw it up from outside... the post players have to make their own offense, they aren't getting any help from passes

RainingThrees
03-11-2010, 08:47 PM
tech sucks... they have the advantage inside and they just wanna throw it up from outside... the post players have to make their own offense, they aren't getting any help from passes

It's probably a reflection on the type of coaching that they are getting. There is absolutely no discipline on that team.

CDu
03-11-2010, 08:50 PM
It's probably a reflection on the type of coaching that they are getting. There is absolutely no discipline on that team.

Hewitt is really frustrated with Rice right now. Up 2, he tried an off-balance layup in a 1-on-4 situation. Just a stupid play. Given how well GT has played offensively in the half court in the second half, you pull that ball back out, set up the offense, and pound it inside.

RainingThrees
03-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Hewitt is really frustrated with Rice right now. Up 2, he tried an off-balance layup in a 1-on-4 situation. Just a stupid play. Given how well GT has played offensively in the half court in the second half, you pull that ball back out, set up the offense, and pound it inside.

Rice is an athlete that's for sure, but he has made many boneheaded moves throughout the season. The kid has got to get his emotions in check if he wants to become a good player.

CDu
03-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Favors is playing like the guy he was hyped up to be coming into the season. He's been dominant in the second half.

SMO
03-11-2010, 08:56 PM
This is like watching two mice that fell into a bucket of cream.

jipops
03-11-2010, 08:59 PM
This is like watching two mice that fell into a bucket of cream.

No kidding. These are two teams that are seemingly unable to handle end-of-game situations.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-11-2010, 09:04 PM
That's game folks, happy with the outcome, i must say.

16-16 hahahaha

slower
Graves - airball - perfect.

dukemsu
your failure is complete.

GTHC

dukemsu

dukelifer
03-11-2010, 09:06 PM

Thank you Ga Tech for stepping up and finishing UNC for the season.

RainingThrees
And that is that. UNC loses again and falls to 16-16, despite Tech's best efforts to lost the game.

CDu
And GT survives. With the way the bubble teams have played, simply avoiding a loss may have been enough to get them in.

Newton_14
03-11-2010, 09:07 PM
And they were singin... Bye Bye kerlina bye.. roy drove his chevy to the levy but the levy was dry......

The End :eek:

RainingThrees
03-11-2010, 09:10 PM
The one negative is that Duke doesn't get to beat the holes for the third time this season. I guess a first round exit and a .500 season is almost as satisfying though. :D

grc5
03-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooo..........see ya!

moonpie23
03-11-2010, 09:15 PM
guess they can stop with that "we're gonna run the table in the acc tourny and make it to the big dance" crap over on IC...

poor "old yeller".......he's in a better place..

YourLandlord
03-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Dang it, had ga tech -4...was bummed UNC didn't do the desperation foul with 2.5 seconds left. Oh well, at least not lost money.

moonpie23
03-11-2010, 09:16 PM
The one negative is that Duke doesn't get to beat the holes for the third time this season. I guess a first round exit and a .500 season is almost as satisfying though. :D

that would hurt duke's RPI...

roywhite
03-11-2010, 09:16 PM
That 10-point lead at halftime didn't last long, did it?

Gotta count on your upperclassmen in the tournament situation, eh? Graves, Thompson, Ginyard...fail.

So much for the Tarheels season.

Verga3
03-11-2010, 09:22 PM
No kidding. These are two teams that are seemingly unable to handle end-of-game situations.

Why would Roy not call a timeout, down by 4 points with 8 seconds left off a TURNOVER and set up a play? Strange.

mike88
03-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Glad to see the outcome. I couldn't bring myself to watch the second half- the first half was just too painful- its too bad both teams couldn't lose - they both deserved it

bluepenguin
03-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooo..........see ya!

Hey, hey, Gooood Bye!!!

All your base belong to us!!!!

GTHC GTH

dukelifer
03-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Why would Roy not call a timeout, down by 4 points with 8 seconds left off a TURNOVER and set up a play? Strange.

Probably did not want to see a 30 pt blowout tomorrow. This was a moral victory.

OldPhiKap
03-11-2010, 09:32 PM
I love one of the post-game discussions, saying that the win actually lowers GT's RPI ratings because the Heels were so low.

BWAHAHAHA!

Boy, Tech stinks. If it weren't for Favors deciding that someone had to play on the floor, this would have ended stink-stink.

PS. Did Roy end up with any time outs? I thought he had two or three but could be wrong. Anyway, he "wins" WCOY.

RainingThrees
03-11-2010, 09:35 PM
I love one of the post-game discussions, saying that the win actually lowers GT's RPI ratings because the Heels were so low.

BWAHAHAHA!

Boy, Tech stinks. If it weren't for Favors deciding that someone had to play on the floor, this would have ended stink-stink.

PS. Did Roy end up with any time outs? I thought he had two or three but could be wrong. Anyway, he "wins" WCOY.

HAHAHAHA! I think even the College of Charleston's RPI goes down because of their win over UNC.

davekay1971
03-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Fitting end for the Holes. Tech played lousy and tried hard to lose, but the Holes tried harder. Turnover by Drew, airball by Graves...mistake after mistake that let Tech and their lousy free throw shooting and incredibly poor decisions off the hook.

Also enjoyed watching Davis and Henson having a good time on the sidelines chillin' and cutting up while their season ended in infamy. Think either one of those two guys cares enough to come back if they think they've got a shot at the lottery?

As for Tech, they simply do not deserve a tournament bid.

roywhite
03-11-2010, 09:41 PM
That's game folks, happy with the outcome, i must say.

16-16 hahahaha

A new meaning for reaching the Sweet Sixteen?

mgtr
03-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Happy to see the baby blues lose, but I thought that this was actually one of their better games. While it was sloppy, they actually did seem to care about what was happening.

roywhite
03-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Happy to see the baby blues lose, but I thought that this was actually one of their better games. While it was sloppy, they actually did seem to care about what was happening.

They earned the respect of Mike Patrick. Perhaps that thought will sustain the Heels in the offseason.

Newton_14
03-11-2010, 09:46 PM

BWAHAHAHA!

2 things happened in the 2nd half that got Tech the win. Number 1, Hewitt played his best perimeter players in the 2nd half, something he did not do in the first half. Number 2, Hewitt made them slow the pace and focus on getting the ball inside to Favors mostly, but also Lawal and Peacock.

Had he simply done those 2 things in the first half, he would have had a much easier win. They still made some bonehead decisions in the 2nd half but not nearly as many as they did in the 1st half.

CDu mentioned the 1 on 4 drive by Rice with like a minute and change to go as one of the bigger boneheaded plays. In the timeout right after that, Hewitt scolded Peacock for throwing the hit a head pass to Rice on that play.

The camera zoomed in on him and he actually said two times to Peacock: "Don't throw the ball to him like that". For once I agree. Rice is an over eager freshman proned to try to do too much, while Peacock being a Sr should have held the ball and handed it to Shumpert to walk it up with a 2 point lead and under 2 min to go.

That Tech team has so much talent and a coach that one minute makes good decisions and the next minute boneheaded decisions which leads to his team taking on his persona in their play..

davekay1971
03-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Sidney has broken out the Red Jacket. The Tigers should beware.

Meanwhile the IC board is riotously entertaining this evening. I highly recommend the "Thank God the season is over" thread.

Verga3
03-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by Verga3:
"Why would Roy not call a timeout, down by 4 points with 8 seconds left off a TURNOVER and set up a play? Strange."

Probably did not want to see a 30 pt blowout tomorrow. This was a moral victory.

Cold....I like it.

Newton_14
03-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Also enjoyed watching Davis and Henson having a good time on the sidelines chillin' and cutting up while their season ended in infamy. Think either one of those two guys cares enough to come back if they think they've got a shot at the lottery?

I caught that too. Glad you saw the same thing and I wasn't seeing something that wasn't there. Very telling imo.

miramar
03-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Although it didn't happen tonight, opposing players have scored 20 or more points against UNC 29 times in 32 games. That includes three players scoring 20 or more twice (Duke, Texas) and two players scoring twenty or more three times (Clemson, Wake, Valpo).

Favors had 18 so he got close.

If they would only listen to Roy...

moonpie23
03-11-2010, 10:08 PM
speaking of favors....i wonder if he regrets not coming to duke...

Coballs
03-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Let's hope that UNC accepts the invite to the NIT, and maybe even wins a few. I'd love for another one of these to go up: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y241/Revisited/3rdplaceNIT.jpg

dukelifer
03-11-2010, 10:32 PM

Was that even an option? I do not believe there was mutual interest.

juise
03-11-2010, 11:14 PM

I think he's had an adequate audition for The League. I'm not sure this season means much else to him.

rotogod00
03-11-2010, 11:18 PM

was going to be a top 5 pick no matter where he went

gumbomoop
03-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Was that Rodney Monroe I just saw being interviewed? I think maybe he's a HS coach these days, but I got a question: I know RM lasted only one season in NBA and played overseas for maybe 10 years. What I don't know is why he couldn't make it in NBA. I'm guessing his defense was lousy. Was he too slow? Only 6'2" or even 6'1", rather than listed 6'3"? Help.

airowe
03-11-2010, 11:33 PM
State pulls this out and unc is the only underdog not to win the first day. :D:D

Newton_14
03-11-2010, 11:35 PM
Just an observation: The intensity level in this State/Clemson game has been many levels higher than what we witnessed in the Tech/heels game. Both teams have played incredibly hard on defense which is how it should be in a tournament game.

Looks like State is going to close Clemson out. Good win for the Pack. Bad loss for Clemson's resume...

rotogod00
03-11-2010, 11:37 PM
Just an observation: The intensity level in this State/Clemson game has been many levels higher than what we witnessed in the Tech/heels game. Both teams have played incredibly hard on defense which is how it should be in a tournament game.

Looks like State is going to close Clemson out. Good win for the Pack. Bad loss for Clemson's resume...

and the ACC's

dukelifer
03-11-2010, 11:38 PM
State pulls this out and unc is the only underdog not to win the first day. :D:D

State has a good chance to get to the semis. They really play well in the ACC tourney.

OldSchool
03-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Congratulations to NC State.

As noted above, every lower-seeded team won today EXCEPT the Tar Holes.

BigZ
03-11-2010, 11:39 PM
Good for the Pack. Why do the Pack always play good in the ACC tournament?

dukelifer
03-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Good for the Pack. Why do the Pack always play good in the ACC tournament?

Aren't they the last ACC team who needed to win the ACC to get to the NCAA and ended up winning the whole thing in 1983? They have that tradition.

BigZ
03-11-2010, 11:43 PM
I don't know what it is but State always seems to win a few games in the ACC tournament even if they suck and UNC seems to always lose early even when they are highly ranked.

davekay1971
03-11-2010, 11:49 PM
Good win for State.

Great point above about the intensity level. Both teams played like they really wanted it. Hope State keeps it up against FSU...

PumpkinFunk
03-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Quite honestly, I think that State could make the finals of the tourney. They beat FSU in their one meeting this season and could do it again, as they have the inside game and the obscene luck necessary to do this type of run. I wouldn't count them out against a Maryland team who might look past them to a potential matchup with us and Paul Hewitt could very easily coach GT out of what should be an easy win over a bad NCSU team.

gofurman
03-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Yeah, we really needed a team like Iowa or Depaul in the conference that would just roll over to everybody good. The ACC hasn't really had too many of those recently.

UVA without Landesberg - maybe though they proved again today that Bennett can coach.

A real possibility is GT next year - No Favors if Pro, Lawal Pro, Peacock Senior... that is the entire frontcourt. and the bacckcourtt is their problem as they turn the ball over

gofurman
03-12-2010, 12:06 AM
A new meaning for reaching the Sweet Sixteen?

so I know the rule was taken out but has any team gone to the NIT at .500 or have all the teams been at least one game above even?

wolfpackdevil
03-12-2010, 12:19 AM
It's not just the ACC Tournament for NC State. The Wolfpack won 3 out of their last 4 games to end the season. And they have been playing tremendously on defense in the 2nd half in those wins. And tonight was the same. They did not let Booker or Stitt take over, and held the lead the entire second half.

I like State to face GT in the semi's on saturday.

weezie
03-12-2010, 08:53 AM
Eyewitness reporting here...watching the holes sink further into disgust and despair has been truly delightful.
At one point last night, we came down from our upper level seats and ended up in the hole section, late in 2nd half of pack v. tigs. Maybe 40% of seats were still occupied. One insulted hole ran for the usher and demanded that she evict us (and we're relatively "mature" people) even though we were quiet and no one else seemed to care. She looked at the clock, looked at us and laughed at him.
What a toolish, purely hateful thing for that sourpussed loser to pull. I hope he cried his eyes out on his tiny little pillow last night.
100% jerks. Period.

UrinalCake
03-12-2010, 08:59 AM
One insulted hole ran for the usher and demanded that she evict us (and we're relatively "mature" people) even though we were quiet and no one else seemed to care.

Leadership begins at the top. Maybe you should have yelled "miss it, Deon!"

Reddevil
03-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Eyewitness reporting here...watching the holes sink further into disgust and despair has been truly delightful.
At one point last night, we came down from our upper level seats and ended up in the hole section, late in 2nd half of pack v. tigs. Maybe 40% of seats were still occupied. One insulted hole ran for the usher and demanded that she evict us (and we're relatively "mature" people) even though we were quiet and no one else seemed to care. She looked at the clock, looked at us and laughed at him.
What a toolish, purely hateful thing for that sourpussed loser to pull. I hope he cried his eyes out on his tiny little pillow last night.
100% jerks. Period.

"Pooh-pooh to the Heels!" he was grinch-ish-ly humming.
"They're finding out now that no title is coming!
"They're just waking up! I know just what they'll do!
"Their mouths will hang open a minute or two
"Then all the Heels down in Heel-ville will all cry BOO-HOO!":p

CDu
03-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Seems like VT has been dominant for much of this game, but they're only up 2 at the half. Miami is just plugging away and keeping this close.

MChambers
03-12-2010, 03:28 PM
VT's in a struggle right now. Good to see it. I'm thinking we play UVa, then Miami, and then State.

;-)

CDu
03-12-2010, 03:29 PM
VT's in a struggle right now. Good to see it. I'm thinking we play UVa, then Miami, and then State.

I certainly wouldn't mind it, though I don't think State will get past Saturday (if they even win tonight).

CDu
03-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Miami isn't playing very well, but they're just hanging around. Down 1 with under 10 to go.

ivydevil
03-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Miami up 2 with just over 5 minutes. The lower-ranked seeds have been pesky in this tournament!

CDu
03-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Miami now in front by 2 with the ball and under 5 minutes to go. Crazy. Seems like that young team may be starting to find its identity.

OldSchool
03-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Hoping for Miami in triple OT!

ivydevil
03-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Hoping for Miami in triple OT!

Ooo, that would be great! We'd get a rather tired team tomorrow.

Channing
03-12-2010, 04:15 PM
why is collins not playing for UM?

CDu
03-12-2010, 04:16 PM
why is collins not playing for UM?

Stress fracture. He's out for the season. He's missed the last few games for them.

CDu
03-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Miami at the line, up 1, with 25.7 seconds left. Allen just fouled out.

MChambers
03-12-2010, 04:22 PM
is apparently complaining about Delaney getting stripped, but, to their credit, the VT radio announcers say it was clean.

I really don't like Greenberg.

CDu
03-12-2010, 04:23 PM
is apparently complaining about Delaney getting stripped, but, to their credit, the VT radio announcers say it was clean.

I really don't like Greenberg.

Yeah, Greenberg complains about every call. It was crowded, but it looked like a clean strip. Often that gets called a foul, but it looked clean.

Miami can ice it with free throws here. Up 3 at the line, 17.5 left.

loran16
03-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Miami with 2 shots to ice it.

If VT doesn't get in (i think they will, the bubble sucks this year), they can point to this game as the reason.

CDu
03-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Duke vs Miami tomorrow.

Channing
03-12-2010, 04:25 PM
did VT just play their way back onto the bubble?

CDu
03-12-2010, 04:26 PM
did VT just play their way back onto the bubble?

Nah, I think they're safe. Nearly every other bubble team (except for Notre Dame and Illinois) played just as badly in their tournaments. VT will be playing in the NCAAs next week.

ivydevil
03-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Wow...with the way this tournament is shaping up, we'd better be counting our blessings for being a higher-seeded team that actually won.

NashvilleDevil
03-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Turning point of the game was the VPI bench player acting a fool after Allen made the 3 pointer. After that display Miami scored the rest of the points and held VPI scoreless. Lesson is don't act like a "maroon"

CDu
03-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Wow...with the way this tournament is shaping up, we'd better be counting our blessings for being a higher-seeded team that actually won.

Yeah, hopefully we play better against Miami this time than we did at Miami. It'll help that they won't have Dwayne Collins. But we'll have to defend Durand Scott better than we did last time.

GODUKEGO
03-12-2010, 04:48 PM
I was at the game today. Good news is the place was about 75% full and plenty of Devil fans. The bad news is they forgot to make noise. I know it is not CIS but it was embarrassing that Virginia fans were louder yet were out numbered 4:1. As someone earlier mentioned there are plenty of tickets available. I bought four for the semi-finals way below face value. If you can make alot of noise come over and join us.

Kedsy
03-12-2010, 04:53 PM
But we'll have to defend Durand Scott better than we did last time.

Durand Scott looks pretty hard to stop. That Reggie Johnson kid looked pretty good too. I think Duke might have their hands full tomorrow.

CDu
03-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Durand Scott looks pretty hard to stop. That Reggie Johnson kid looked pretty good too. I think Duke might have their hands full tomorrow.

Yeah, hopefully tired legs will set in for the Canes tomorrow. But they certainly have talented young players. And we have to remember that they did finish last for a reason. Hopefully that reason will show up tomorrow.

Eckster
03-12-2010, 07:13 PM
I was at the game today. Good news is the place was about 75% full and plenty of Devil fans. The bad news is they forgot to make noise. I know it is not CIS but it was embarrassing that Virginia fans were louder yet were out numbered 4:1. As someone earlier mentioned there are plenty of tickets available. I bought four for the semi-finals way below face value. If you can make alot of noise come over and join us.

Agree that there were plenty of Dukies in the crowd today. We sat in the UNC section and were (to our great relief), surrounded by Duke fans. I disagree that the Virginia fans were louder-plenty of noise for Devils, when there was something to cheer about, which didn't happen much until the last 10 minutes.

loran16
03-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Is it just me or does Gani Lawal find the most creative ways to travel?

I haven't seen that many steps and jumps since watching an NBA game.

CDu
03-12-2010, 07:45 PM
GT has come to play early. They're up 10 with 5 to go in the first half.

Now up 15 with under 4 to go in the half. They're just dominating the game right now. They're getting all the rebounds, and Shumpert et al are doing a good job on Vasquez.

SCMatt33
03-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Georgia Tech looking like they want nothing to do with the bubble, up 15 at the 4 minute media timeout.

proelitedota
03-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Up 15 now. Terps sucking hard.

SCMatt33
03-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Fast break. Lead up to 19, 2:33 left in 1st half

CDu
03-12-2010, 07:54 PM
If one didn't know better, one would say that GT was the team who tied for the regular season championship and Maryland was the bubble team. It's crazy how good GT has looked and how bad Maryland has looked.

SCMatt33
03-12-2010, 07:57 PM
If one didn't know better, one would say that GT was the team who tied for the regular season championship and Maryland was the bubble team. It's crazy how good GT has looked and how bad Maryland has looked.

Georgia Tech has much more to play for. lead is 16 at the half.

CDu
03-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Georgia Tech has much more to play for. lead is 16 at the half.

41-25. 16 point lead at the half. And yes - a win here eliminates any doubt that GT is in.

davekay1971
03-12-2010, 08:19 PM
Maryland coming out with much more energy in the second half. Ga Tech better hang on. They're the kind of team that's susceptible to letting Maryland's pressure making them rush and make mistakes.

loran16
03-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Odds GT Blows this?

I say....80%

Dev11
03-12-2010, 08:22 PM
Anybody else sick of Mike Patrick saying "Are you KIDDING?" every time something mildly interesting happens in any game? Particularly when said something involves Maryland doing something right?

CDu
03-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Apparently GT doesn't like playing the opening few minutes of the halves against Maryland. They were down 6 early against Maryland before making the big run in the first half. They've come out tentative and out of control in the second half, and Maryland has cut the lead by 5.

Hewitt was able to right the ship in the first half. Let's see if he can do it again in the second half.

This GT team has a ton of talent. If they played with any cohesion and discipline, they'd be really tough.

CDu
03-12-2010, 08:24 PM
GT just pooping the bed on their third inbounds play of the second half. This is ridiculous. This is apparently why GT lost 9 ACC games this year. Make that the FOURTH inbounds play that they've blown.

cspan37421
03-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Does anyone think GT was getting jobbed in the first 3 minutes? MD mugging them on inbound (start of half) and on the offensive end.

LSanders
03-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Odds GT Blows this?

I say....80%

Odds 'r way too low ...

CDu
03-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Huge play. Williams just picked up his fourth foul with 15 minutes to go.

duke4ever19
03-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Jordan Williams with 4 fouls now. Hopefully GT can manage to take advantage. (Not holding my breath.)

CDu
03-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Geez. Tech has 8 turnovers in the first five minutes. Who is this: UNC?

loran16
03-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Odds 'r way too low ...

Well i figure there's a 15% chance Maryland manages to play so incompetently down the stretch that GT can't lose.

But well, the leads down to 4 now, so that isn't looking that likely.

CDu
03-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Man, this is just silly. That has to be the 6th time in 5-6 minutes that GT has turned it over on an inbounds play.

duke4ever19
03-12-2010, 08:35 PM
This is unbelievable. Phantom elbow??

D.C. Devil
03-12-2010, 08:37 PM
What an astonishing display here by hewitt's squad

CDu
03-12-2010, 08:41 PM
After an amazing first half, GT has played the entire second half scared. Maryland has on the other hand been playing like sharks smelling blood in the water.

BigZ
03-12-2010, 08:46 PM
MD is making this comeback with Vazquez playing horrible, that is the suprising thing.

duke4ever19
03-12-2010, 08:50 PM
GT finally remembering that they were creaming this team just a half hour ago. Need to build a ten point lead and hopefully keep the terps at arms length. I don't trust Paul Hewitt in a close game.

CDu
03-12-2010, 08:52 PM
It's just amazing how inept GT has been on inbounds plays in the second half. That's the only reason Maryland is in this game. GT has dominated nearly all of the other facets of the game completely, but they're doing SO badly on inbounds plays.

SMO
03-12-2010, 09:06 PM
We've clearly entered the time of year when "let 'em play" officiating is prevalent. The paradox, of course, is that not calling clear fouls limits the best players' ability to play.

CDu
03-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Not a good individual day for players who got ACC PoY votes:

Vasquez (so far): 5-19, 12 points, 3 assists, 5 turnovers
Scheyer: 5-17, 15 points, 3 assists, 1 turnover
Delaney: 3-15, 7 points, 5 assists, 3 turnovers

loran16
03-12-2010, 09:11 PM
This should be a tie game....that dunk shouldnt' have counted...

CDu
03-12-2010, 09:12 PM

Yeah, that's a terrible call by the officials not even to take a look.

This is unbelievable by the way - so many turnovers on inbounds plays.

SCMatt33
03-12-2010, 09:13 PM

But there would have been a whistle and a stoppage so the three wouldn't have happened either.

loran16
Maryland with the potential last possession...but GT can't hit FTs. If they shoot early, they can easily have a second chance if the ymiss.

EDIT: 7 seconds on the Shot Clock left...so they'll have to take the shot early.

juise

I agree that the basket shouldn't have counted, but who's to say that Vasquez hits the three if they stop play (for the violation) and give GT a chance to get back on D.

SCMatt33
03-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Free throw time for GTech

loran16
03-12-2010, 09:16 PM
I agree that the basket shouldn't have counted, but who's to say that Vasquez hits the three if they stop play (for the violation) and give GT a chance to get back on D.

True. But it's a terrible call by the officials to not even let the play continue.

----
Shumpert makes the first.

Shumpert makes the 2nd thank god.

SCMatt33
03-12-2010, 09:18 PM
True. But it's a terrible call by the officials to not even let the play continue.

----
Shumpert makes the first.

Shumpert makes the 2nd thank god.

What, are you saying it was terrible that they didn't stop it to go to the monitor? If so, I agree.

loran16
03-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Big steal! Game. Over!

CDu
03-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Big play by Shumpert. Strips it on the shot attempt and draws the intentional foul. Ballgame.

DevilHorns
A nice zoom in off Vazquez' mom who just cant fathom how he didnt get the call?

PRICELESS!

Here we go GTECH!!!

loran16
What, are you saying it was terrible that they didn't stop it to go to the monitor? If so, I agree.

Yes. That's exactly what i'm saying.

SCMatt33
03-12-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm glad he made one, now the intentional foul didn't really mean anything. 4 pts in 3 seconds wasn't going to happen

SCMatt33
03-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Gtech is now a LOCK

Eternal Outlaw
03-12-2010, 09:22 PM
I'm glad he made one, now the intentional foul didn't really mean anything. 4 pts in 3 seconds wasn't going to happen

The intentional was 100% the right call so doesn't matter if he made 1 or not after the inbound foul.

D.C. Devil
03-12-2010, 09:28 PM
I wonder if the MD fans will be burning anything out of rage tonight. Nah, it's raining here, so I don't see how they'll manage to find a spark.

Saratoga2
The way Maryland played the first half kind of mirrors some of the problems that Duke was having as well, although Marylands were more pronounced. The second half saw a very aggressive Maryland team getting away with a lot of contact and a GT team that was clueless getting the ball in bounds and ball security. Despite that and the poor free throw shooting, GT had a big enough lead to survive and move ahead. No guarantee they will get through to the finals though. Wait and see in that regard.

Duke could also cause GT lots of trouble getting the ball in and up court.

mph
I'm near College Park for the weekend. I just heard sirens go by and my first thought was the riot squad must be getting into position. This loss couldn't happen to a more deserving fan base.

OldPhiKap
03-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Duke moves on, Maryland gone, Hewitt back for another year, Heels stink.

It doesn't get any better than this.

bird
03-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Duke moves on, Maryland gone, Hewitt back for another year, Heels stink.

It doesn't get any better than this.

Except for this little bit of embarrassment I feel as an ACC fan after watching the bonehead bowl that was Md. v. Ga. Tech.

CDu
03-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Only two of the top six seeds are still standing as of Friday night, and one of those two still has to play tonight. It's been a crazy tournament so far.

GT and NC State are two of the teams that beat us this year, so part of me wants to see the high seed (FSU) make it through. Of course, if we win tomorrow and face either GT or NC State, those teams should be worn out by the time they face us. So maybe I should cheer for the upset again.

bluepenguin
03-12-2010, 09:46 PM
What a strange tournament. The lower seed has won in every game except 2. Guess which ones.

tee hee.

GTHC

davekay1971
03-12-2010, 10:24 PM
FSU and NCSU are setting college basketball back 30 years right now. Check that, hoops in 1980 were much prettier than this. This is an ugly, ugly game. But State is hanging in there with them.

Wood tore up FSU in Tallahassee...can he do it again?

dukelifer
03-12-2010, 10:28 PM
FSU and NCSU are setting college basketball back 30 years right now. Check that, hoops in 1980 were much prettier than this. This is an ugly, ugly game. But State is hanging in there with them.

Wood tore up FSU in Tallahassee...can he do it again?

NC state will win this game. Wood likes playing this team and Fla State cannot generate points.

YourLandlord
03-12-2010, 11:08 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/123/415333867_c13a4219db_o.jpg

arydolphin
03-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Anyone else thinking that a Duke-NC State final would be pretty cool on Sunday afternoon?

Newton_14
03-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Tim Brando with the quote of the day. After State's Scott Wood drains the 2nd of back to back 3's, Brando quips: "Just lay the wood will ya"

Hilarious...

Wood is on fire!

superdave
03-12-2010, 11:21 PM
It seems like for most of the last 10 years, the top 4 seeds in the ACC tourney (save for Duke) rarely show up. Unc doesnt try and the rest get knocked off.

SharkD
03-12-2010, 11:52 PM
G'night, FSU.

It's nearly Semifinal Saturday and Duke is the sole high seed left. Wow.

Newton_14
03-12-2010, 11:58 PM
Congrats to NC State. Glad to see them hold on and win. I thought all the missed free throws in the last 10 minutes was going to do them in, but FSU just did not want to score enough for it to matter.

Very weird tourney. 1 vs 12, and 7 vs 11 in the semi's. Wow.

Should Duke win tomorrow they are guaranteed to play a team on Sunday that is playing their 4th game in 4 days...

yancem
03-13-2010, 12:03 AM
So with 6 of 8 games so far being won by the lower seed there is obviously parity in the league but the question is, are all the teams pretty good or are they all really bad?

I will be really interested to see how acc teams fair in the ncaa tournament. Part of me thinks that only Duke has a chance of surviving the first weekend but part of me wonders if MD, Fl st, Va Tech or Ga Tech could possibly make some noise. There have been a few upsets in the other major conferences which makes me winder if any team is all that good.

davekay1971
03-13-2010, 12:03 AM
Great win for them after an impressive performance last night. Anyone counting them out against Ga Tech tomorrow night?!

Hoping for a Duke-State final!

pfrduke
03-13-2010, 12:18 AM
So with 6 of 8 games so far being won by the lower seed there is obviously parity in the league but the question is, are all the teams pretty good or are they all really bad?

I will be really interested to see how acc teams fair in the ncaa tournament. Part of me thinks that only Duke has a chance of surviving the first weekend but part of me wonders if MD, Fl st, Va Tech or Ga Tech could possibly make some noise. There have been a few upsets in the other major conferences which makes me winder if any team is all that good.

Neither; they're all above average to good (but not very good).

rotogod00
03-13-2010, 12:21 AM
according to Lunardi's latest GTech is now an automatic. that's 6 in for the ACC, with VTech hanging on

David
03-13-2010, 12:30 AM
Anyone else thinking that a Duke-NC State final would be pretty cool on Sunday afternoon?

With a matchup against NC State in the Final, Duke would play the lowest possible seed in each round (#9 in rd 1, #12 in rd 2, #11 in rd 3).

ice-9
03-13-2010, 12:44 AM
How weird would a Miami vs. NC State final be?

Is it possible for the ACC to get 8 teams in?

(Not likely because of course Duke's gonna win it :p)

roywhite
03-13-2010, 12:47 AM
Counting ACC Tournament games, UNC now has the worst record in the league with only 5 wins (as NC State and Miami have won twice in Greensboro).

In addition, NC State may have now moved ahead of UNC in consideration for an NIT bid.

http://www.nitology.com/

SoCalDukeFan
03-13-2010, 01:00 AM
Nitology?

Who gets automatic NIT Bids?

SoCal

hurleyfor3
03-13-2010, 01:05 AM
Every bubble team in the country is now rooting for us.

pfrduke
03-13-2010, 01:18 AM
Nitology?

Who gets automatic NIT Bids?

SoCal

Any team that wins the conference regular season, does not win the conference tournament, and does not make the NCAA tournament gets an automatic bid to the NIT. Thus far this season, there are 8 such teams:

Jacksonville
Jackson State
Troy
Kent State
Weber State
Coastal Carolina
Quinnipiac
Stony Brook

SCMatt33
03-13-2010, 01:43 AM
Every bubble team in the country is now rooting for us.

I wonder if this will include Va Tech fans who stick around. They obviously don't want Miami to steal a bid, but they might think that they're in anyway and can't make themselves root for Duke.

dukelifer
03-13-2010, 07:37 AM

Not cool- It would be like playing a true road game. The State Fans will be out in droves. They would give NC State a lot of energy. Unfortunately, history tells us that State will make the finals.

dukelifer
03-13-2010, 08:15 AM
Great win for them after an impressive performance last night. Anyone counting them out against Ga Tech tomorrow night?!

Hoping for a Duke-State final!

State will win today. You cannot trust Tech to win now that they are in the NCAA tourney. Plus State nearly beat Tech at Tech. State is on a roll right now- winning close games. Strange thing is that I think they could beat every ACC team other than UNC. Tech is not solid enough to consistently win close games- they really struggle on the line.

GODUKEGO
03-13-2010, 08:19 AM
Hard to believe going into today's semi's were are the only one left of the top four seeds. The upsets stop now. The next two games will be tough especially if we play like we did against VA. If we can win two more that would be 9 out of the last 12 tournament champs. I think that is called dominant!!! "IF" this happens a #1 seed and 6 more to go!!! I would rather play State than GA Tech in the finals. Both of them beat us this year but it was in their house.

moonpie23
03-13-2010, 08:28 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/123/415333867_c13a4219db_o.jpg

Gaussian blur

YourLandlord
03-13-2010, 04:00 PM
We really need Ga Tech to lose to NC State here. I fear another game against GA Tech will just be a ferocious, physical, exhausting affair that could carry over to Thursday. Go State.

DukeGirl4ever
03-13-2010, 05:33 PM
We really need Ga Tech to lose to NC State here. I fear another game against GA Tech will just be a ferocious, physical, exhausting affair that could carry over to Thursday. Go State.

I agree although I'm seeing some tired legs from both teams this game. Can you imagine ending your game close to midnight last night and having to turn around and have a (app.) 4:00 tip-off time the next day?

Tired legs....tired legs...and not just from Jon!

BigZ
03-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Paul Hewitt is the worst in game coach in the ACC. He is a good recruiter but a terrible game manager.

CDu
03-13-2010, 05:52 PM
GT is way more talented, but they have no cohesiveness at all. Basically, their guard play is really inconsistent. There is no excuse for having this much trouble with inbounds plays and no excuse for committing this many turnovers. They have three of the four best players on the floor, yet they are struggling to keep up with an inferior NC State team.

CDu
03-13-2010, 06:12 PM
It looks like NC State threw this thing away. They had a chance to win, but just couldn't make plays down the stretch. Gonzalez just dribbled it off his foot and committed an intentional foul which should seal it.

Bob Green
03-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Gonzalez was obviously frustrated by his turnover and probably believed he was fouled on the play, but to reach out and grab Favors' jersey was a bonehead move. Suprisingly, Lowe left Gonzalez in the game when he had clearly earned a seat on the pine.

PumpkinFunk
03-13-2010, 06:31 PM
In 3 days of the ACC Tourney, one thing has become very clear to me: Paul Hewitt is a bad coach. With all the talent on his team, he's had his team struggling 3 games in a row despite being up big in two and blowing big leads in those two.

YourLandlord
03-13-2010, 06:37 PM
In 3 days of the ACC Tourney, one thing has become very clear to me: Paul Hewitt is a bad coach. With all the talent on his team, he's had his team struggling 3 games in a row despite being up big in two and blowing big leads in those two.
Duke's kinda done the same thing 2 days in a row...

Saratoga2
03-13-2010, 06:52 PM

I usually don't recommend pressing, but in the case of GT, they don't seem competent to handle pressure, particularly with the in bounds passes. In addition, they have only one of two guys who can hit free throws consistently,

The difficulties with handling tech involves their big men who can score inside and rebound. We should be favored in this one.

sagegrouse
03-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Gonzalez was obviously frustrated by his turnover and probably believed he was fouled on the play, but to reach out and grab Favors' jersey was a bonehead move. Suprisingly, Lowe left Gonzalez in the game when he had clearly earned a seat on the pine.

The only thing missing from his throw of the much larger Favors was to pull a short piece of rope out of his shorts and tie his arms and legs together.

I mean, how do you get thrown out of a game if that outrageous play doesn't do it?

sagegrouse

CDu
03-13-2010, 09:31 PM
The only thing missing from his throw of the much larger Favors was to pull a short piece of rope out of his shorts and tie his arms and legs together.

I mean, how do you get thrown out of a game if that outrageous play doesn't do it?

sagegrouse

Well, nothing about that really screamed ejection to me. The intentional/flagrant foul call was the right call, I think. It's not like he threw the guy on the ground. He just held on tight to Favors's jersey (which is illegal, of course) and Favors lost his balance and got spun around. I think it ended up looking worse than it really was, but the call was correct.