PDA

View Full Version : ACC Tourney game Fri 11 am Chicago -- places to watch

peblnh8
03-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Hey all,

I'm an 09 graduate, a long time reader, and a first time poster.

I'm flying to Chicago today to hang out with some friends for the weekend, but unfortunately they will be working during the day tomorrow, so I don't really have a place to watch the game.

Surely somebody on this message board has a recommendation. Perhaps even a crowd of people to watch the game with? From what I've seen through months of reading, there is nothing unknown to the fine people that hang out around here :-)

Best,
Phil

ChicagoCrazy84
03-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Not sure where you're going to be, but I'd go to Sedgwick's. I have never been there myself, but supposedly it is a Duke bar. It's at North and Sedgwick, off the Sedgwick stop on the brown line. There's also some good places near Wrigley Field (Addison red line) that are great NCAA basketball bars.

LetItBD08
03-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Yeah, I'd bet Sedgwick's will have the game and probably some Duke fans. You can get off at the Armitage stop on the Brown or Purple line and walk along Armitage for about 5-10 minutes until you reach the intersection between Armitage, Sedgwick, and Lincoln.

peblnh8
03-11-2010, 10:38 AM
http://www.sedgwickschicago.com/dukealumni.html sounds good!

I'm staying... I dont know the 'lingo' but it's what I'd describe as downtown. pretty close to the split in the river.

oakroom
03-11-2010, 10:44 AM
When I lived in Chicago, we watched a lot of games at Brother Jimmy's (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Ki5&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=chicago+barbecue+restaurants&fb=1&gl=us&hq=barbecue+restaurants&hnear=chicago&view=text&ei=oQ6ZS46NIpCYtgfFuO2wCQ&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CB0QtwMwAA). Their barbecue is nothing special, but they are ACC friendly.

It's been 8 yrs + since I've been there, so maybe someone has more recent info.

Mal
03-11-2010, 10:58 AM
When I lived in Chicago, we watched a lot of games at Brother Jimmy's (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Ki5&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=chicago+barbecue+restaurants&fb=1&gl=us&hq=barbecue+restaurants&hnear=chicago&view=text&ei=oQ6ZS46NIpCYtgfFuO2wCQ&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CB0QtwMwAA). Their barbecue is nothing special, but they are ACC friendly.

It's been 8 yrs + since I've been there, so maybe someone has more recent info.

Closed, unfortunately. Replaced by something called Mad River, which, if I recall, is something of a Michigan bar.

hurleyfor3
03-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Best place to watch the ACC Tournament? Greensboro :) Flying down in a couple hours, or at least I hope to if weather permits. Nice time to have the first thunderstorm of the year.

Brother Jimmy's has been dead for ~10 years.

Try Gamekeepers at Lincoln and Armitage, not Duke-centric but they have plenty of teevees. Alternatively Ranalli's on Lincoln very nearby. Not a sports bar but awesome thin-crust pizza, great selection of beers and they will probably be happy to put the game on for you.

Mal
03-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Alternatively Ranalli's on Lincoln very nearby. Not a sports bar but awesome thin-crust pizza, great selection of beers and they will probably be happy to put the game on for you.

Ummm, also closed, :) although I think now reopened under new name/management and still serving pizza. The only draw of Ranalli's/replacement was/is the beer garden in warmer weather, anyway. Brick's, right down the street, always had vastly superior pizza, IMNSHO.

Anyway, to the original poster, Sedgwick's is in Lincoln Park, which wouldn't be considered "downtown" except by suburbanites, so it's not terribly close to where you're staying, which sounds like River North. It'll be a 12 minute El ride and a 7 minute walk to get there. But it sounds like you've got the time, and it's a good way to see more of the city, so may be worth it. Sedgwick's is probably the most Duke-centric place you'll find in a city full of Big Ten and Big East fans and Devils haters, too. Even then, I've watched games there and had to listen to unashamed cheering for the opponent and whining about the refs on calls going our way. If memory serves, some Maryland alums seem to think of it as a Maryland bar, too. I have no idea what the mix will be like on a Friday morning, to be honest, but most of the Duke grad demo around here will probably be in the same boat as your friends, and not able to head to Lincoln Park to watch the game. FWIW. Good luck and enjoy your visit!

hurleyfor3
03-11-2010, 01:03 PM
What do I know, I live on the Gold Coast now. Anything past North Ave is the sticks as far as I'm concerned.