PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Podcast- Jon Scheyer talks with Doug Gottlieb

1999ballboy
03-10-2010, 03:34 PM
This has been around for about a day now, but I haven't seen anything linking to it here.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/

Doug Gottlieb hasn't been one of most Duke fans' favorite guys this year, but this was a nice conversation. However, do yourself a favor and fast forward to the nineteen minute mark to get to it, unless you want to listen to Gottlieb ramble for 19 minutes. Scheyer talks about his transformation to the point, Zoubs, and the Crazies, among other things. Just scroll down to the "media" headline and click Gottlieb.

livehead16
03-10-2010, 04:45 PM
It's a very entertaining interview, I think. I have to say that I'm with Jon, though, on the beard for Zoubs. Gottlieb's all wrong about that one.

You can actually go here - http://search.espn.go.com/scheyer/ - and scroll just a bit to "The Doug Gottlieb Show" for a version that's only Jon's interview without the 19 minutes of rambling beforehand.

ivydevil
03-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Always good to see Scheyer defending Zoubs' beard. :cool:

greybeard
03-10-2010, 06:25 PM
For Gottlieb to have shown such respect for Jon's play as a point guard is extraordinary! The guy knows the position, really, really knows the position.

You have to wonder what the voters for ACC POY were thinking. Gottlieb seems to have said that in his mind Jon ran this team better than any point guard he's seen in college this year. I agree with that. It was a push at the least, which was how Vitale called it.

greybeard
03-10-2010, 06:54 PM
One other thing, the guy who saw this and more in Scheyer from the very start and has stuck with it ever since is JUMBO! Great vision, great.

CDu
03-10-2010, 07:09 PM
For Gottlieb to have shown such respect for Jon's play as a point guard is extraordinary! The guy knows the position, really, really knows the position.

Agreed. Gottlieb is certainly snarky, but he also definitely knows the PG position.

You have to wonder what the voters for ACC POY were thinking. Gottlieb seems to have said that in his mind Jon ran this team better than any point guard he's seen in college this year. I agree with that. It was a push at the least, which was how Vitale called it.

This has been discussed a lot on these boards, but I think it comes down to whether you focus on in-conference play or consider both conference and non-conference play. In the latter, Scheyer runs away with it. But in the former, Vazquez matched Scheyer's efficiency while putting up bigger numbers overall. If the voters voted based solely on ACC performance (which takes away Scheyer's big A/TO advantage), Vazquez sure looks good.

greybeard
03-10-2010, 07:53 PM
CDu, the way Kornheiser put it going into the Duke-Marlyand game, was, it depends on Vasquez, he can play them into or out of it with equal ease. Maryland was full of terrific athletes many of whom disappeared in games where Vasquez decided he had to dominate. By contrast, Jon was as steady a leader of the offense as you could want.

But, I'm not quarelling with Vasquez's selection. I thought they'd share it. Certainly did not think that Vasquez would win it by as large a margin as he did.

Still pretty amazing to hear Gottlieb speak so highly of Scheyer--the Cousey Award, National POY. Wow!