PDA

View Full Version : Lethal Weapon 3

gw67
03-10-2010, 08:38 AM
One of the strong points of this year’s team is the extraordinary play of Scheyer, Singler and Smith. They are averaging almost 54 points a game and besides being good all around players, they are fun to watch. There have been other ACC threesomes who were terrific. Off the top of my head, you have:

• Laettner, Hurley and Hill;
• JWill, Dunleavy and Boozer;
• Lucas, McMillen and Elmore
• Monroe, Corchiani and Gugliotta

However, the threesome that reminds me of today’s three Devils was Georgia Tech’s “Lethal Weapon Three” of Kenny Anderson, Dennis Scott and Brian Oliver. Like the three Devils, they were primarily perimeter players who were fun to watch. They led their team to the Final Four one year. That was one of several “Golden Ages” of ACC basketball. My best friend at the time was a Virginia grad and I got to see 5-6 games a year at U Hall as well as one each year at Cole during the mid-80’s through the early 90’s. Not only did you have the great players at Duke, Georgia Tech and NC State, but the Cavaliers had their own threesome of Bryant Stith, John Crotty and Richard Morgan. They were not at the same level as the other threesomes noted above, but they got hot one year in the NCAAT and got their team unexpectedly to the Elite Eight.

While I am concerned about the overdependence on perimeter play and three players, I hope that this year’s squad can pull it together like the ACC teams of the early 90’s and go a long way in this year’s NCAAT.

gw67

devilboomer
03-10-2010, 08:59 AM
One of the strong points of this year’s team is the extraordinary play of Scheyer, Singler and Smith. They are averaging almost 54 points a game and besides being good all around players, they are fun to watch. There have been other ACC threesomes who were terrific. Off the top of my head, you have:

• Laettner, Hurley and Hill;
• JWill, Dunleavy and Boozer;
• Lucas, McMillen and Elmore
• Monroe, Corchiani and Gugliotta

gw67

Wasn't Battier the 2001 NPOY? I think you would consider that more of a Lethal Weapon 4.

Think that most Final 4 teams have four great players. In 2001 we had JWill, Dunleavy, Battier, Boozer. 2004 we had Duhon, Redick, Deng, Shelden. 2010 we have Nolan Smith, Jon Scheyer, Kyle Singler, Brian Zoubek. :o)

gw67
03-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Dunleavy and Boozer had breakout years in 2002 when they joined JWill on All ACC. In 2001, they were good, complementary players to JWill and Battier.

My intent was not to put down any teammates (e.g. Mackey was a very good inside player for Georgia Tech during the LW3 days) and Zoubek's picks and rebounding are key ingredients to this year's team. Every once in a while, three youngsters step up for a team and dominate the offense like Scheyer, Smith and Singler have done this year.

gw67

Zeb
03-10-2010, 11:21 AM
The conversation on the best trio of Duke players starts and stops with Laettner, Hurley, and Hill. That threesome played together two years. They won two national championships. Their numbers all hang in the rafters. End of discussion.

Channing
03-10-2010, 11:37 AM
I think GT's LW3 is the only time three teammates have each averaged 20+ ppg. JWil, Boozer, and Dunleavy came close, but didnt quite make it.