PDA

View Full Version : Lost: Dr. Linus

JasonEvans
03-09-2010, 11:05 PM
A good episode.

I liked Ben's redemption. My wife thought he would take the same path he took on the Island and burn Alex to advance his own cause. As usual, the Alt-version of a character is a "better person" than the Island version. It is going to be interesting to see how they resolve this.

--Jason "Much more in a minute... gotta run" Evans

ChrisP
03-09-2010, 11:29 PM
One of the most interesting things to me was that we learned that alt-Ben (and Uncle Rico) had also been on the island at some point. Maybe I'm the only one, but I had sort of assumed that the alternate universe was supposed to show us what would have happened to these people had they never been to the island.

But yeah..I pretty much figured that alt-Ben was gonna do the right thing for Alex this time around. That speech by island-Ben to Illana (or is it Illyana? or...something else) was oddly touching. The final line - "because he's the only one who'll have me" was reminiscent of the old line from An Officer and a Gentlman when Richard Gere's character (Mayo-nnaise) tells Louis Gosset Jr.'s character, "I got nowhere else to go!"

It's funny, I'm really starting to like Ben and dislike many of the original characters I used to like. I kinda felt sorry for old Ben tonight when he was telling Illana/whatever about how he'd sacrificed Alex.

I'm still not sure we got tons of answers tonight - except, I guess we did learn why Richard hasn't aged. I wonder if Jacob's touch has the same effect on everyone or if it varies depending on what Jacob wants/wanted from them at the time.

JasonEvans
03-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Ok, my thoguhts continued ;)

We may not have gotten answers but we got some important confirmations in this episode.

1) Richard was a crewmember of the Black Rock. We all suspected it and he all but confirmed it. Also, he said being "touched" by Jacob is a really big deal and imparts a gift to the person who is touched. Well, we saw all our heroes get touched. Does this mean that, like Richard, Jack/Kate/Sawyer/Hurley/Sayid cannot die?

2) The Island does exist in the alt-timeline and Ben and his father were on it. Clearly, they left before it sank. I guess we knew this when we saw 815 pass over the underwater island and it had the Dharma barracks and playground on it. Still, it was a big deal to hear Ben and his father talk about the Dharma Initiative. It also raises real questions about what caused the island to sink. Ben and his father were still there when Juliet set off the bomb. So, the island sank post-bomb. Pehaps the bomb destroyed the island's special power and it sunk. Hmmmm.

3) Jack has fully transformed. He was once the Man of Science but now he is the Man of Faith -- perhaps even more faith than John Locke ever had. Jack can sit there with a fuse about to go off and trust that the island/Jacob will save him. That's more faith than even Richard had. Jacob's mission to instill purpose and faith in Jack has worked perfectly (as we knew it would). Staring out at the ocean was jsut what the doctor ordered ;)

4) Whidmore is back! Whose side will he be on? I am betting he is with FLocke and headed to the Hydra station. Remember in The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham that he told Locke that "a war is coming to the Island" and that if Locke did not return to the island, "the wrong side" would win? Well, I think we now know what war he was talking about -- FLocke and allies vs. Jacob's people. The question is, what side is Whidmore going to be on? He has been too evil a character all along to be on Jacob's side, I think.

As an aside, I am thrilled we are going to get more on Whidmore. I lamented that his storyline vs. Ben would be abandoned. Like Jack, I have renewed faith after seeing him brought back in this episode.

5) When Illiana says to Ben, "I'll have you," it was a great moment. It was like Jacob saying, "I forgive you."

6) Miles is awesome. His line about "two jabrones named Niki and Paolo who are burried alive with $8 million of diamonds" was just so great. He actually made Niki and Paolo relevant again... if just for a moment. I love what he said about Jacob's last moments too -- that he was hoping Ben would not do it right up until the moment Ben stabbed him. Wow, that hit Ben hard! I suspect that some of the characters we love are going to die over the next couple months, but I really hope Miles makes it back to civillization so he can enjoy spending the money from those diamonds ;)

--Jason "I'd give this ep an 8 out of 10... I liked it" Evans

A-Tex Devil
03-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Will read more thoughts later but....

1. Is Ben's father more famous as Laszlo or Uncle Rico?
2. Caught the last 10 minutes of last week's recap where they reminded us that they said Widmore said there was a war coming and Locke needed to be on the island for the "right" side or something like that to win. Was it real Locke or fake Locke?

Great episode. Ties Widmore back in which gives me more faith in the producers.

JasonEvans
03-09-2010, 11:42 PM
2. Caught the last 10 minutes of last week's recap where they reminded us that they said Widmore said there was a war coming and Locke needed to be on the island for the "right" side or something like that to win. Was it real Locke or fake Locke?

Real Locke. That was before he got killed by Ben. I don't think FLocke exists off the island.

-Jason

ChrisP
03-09-2010, 11:48 PM
Will read more thoughts later but....

1. Is Ben's father more famous as Laszlo or Uncle Rico?

Great episode. Ties Widmore back in which gives me more faith in the producers.

Sorry, don't get the Laszlo reference - what is that from?

I actually know him pretty well as "Rusty" the homeless guy who stole Kramer & Newman's rickshaw. My favorite line from that episode was when Kosmo tells Rusty that he's going to be working hard all day for very little money and so, "you're going to need a strong upper body...or....a shirt"

A-Tex Devil
03-09-2010, 11:57 PM
Real Locke. That was before he got killed by Ben. I don't think FLocke exists off the island.

-Jason

PRobably, but the way some people seem to be prescient in this show, maybe this was Widmore's plan all along? Who knows.

A-Tex Devil
03-09-2010, 11:58 PM
Sorry, don't get the Laszlo reference - what is that from?

I actually know him pretty well as "Rusty" the homeless guy who stole Kramer & Newman's rickshaw. My favorite line from that episode was when Kosmo tells Rusty that he's going to be working hard all day for very little money and so, "you're going to need a strong upper body...or....a shirt"

Real Genius. The dude that lives in the closet and wins the Doritos (?) contest

ChrisP
03-10-2010, 12:01 AM
Oh yeah! Been a while since I saw that movie, but I totally remember him now! Thanks.

JasonEvans
03-10-2010, 12:06 AM
Just thought of something else significant in this episode-- Rousseau never goes to the island in the alt-timeline. This helps us in dating the island sinking.

So, we know the island was still there in 1977 when Ben is there with his father and we know that it is not there in 1988 when Rousseau would have shipwrecked and given birth to Alex.

--Jason "hmmm" Evans

JG Nothing
03-10-2010, 12:11 AM

We may not have gotten answers but we got some important confirmations in this episode.

1) Richard was a crewmember of the Black Rock. We all suspected it and he all but confirmed it. Also, he said being "touched" by Jacob is a really big deal and imparts a gift to the person who is touched. Well, we saw all our heroes get touched. Does this mean that, like Richard, Jack/Kate/Sawyer/Hurley/Sayid cannot die?

I think it simply means they cannot kill themselves. Of course, that begs the question, why would it be necessary to make it impossible for candidates to kill themselves?

4) Whidmore is back! Whose side will he be on? I am betting he is with FLocke and headed to the Hydra station. Remember in The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham that he told Locke that "a war is coming to the Island" and that if Locke did not return to the island, "the wrong side" would win? Well, I think we now know what war he was talking about -- FLocke and allies vs. Jacob's people. The question is, what side is Whidmore going to be on? He has been too evil a character all along to be on Jacob's side, I think.

As an aside, I am thrilled we are going to get more on Whidmore. I lamented that his storyline vs. Ben would be abandoned. Like Jack, I have renewed faith after seeing him brought back in this episode.

I think it is evident that Whidmore is on Flocke's side. He had to send Locke back so MIB could get Ben to kill Jacob. This also sets the stage for a Whidmore versus Ben confrontation since they are on opposing sides.

5) When Illiana says to Ben, "I'll have you," it was a great moment. It was like Jacob saying, "I forgive you."

What does "Jacob was like a father to me" imply? Has there been any indication before that Jacob has had significant or ongoing interactions with people other than MIB?

6) Miles is awesome. His line about "two jabrones named Niki and Paolo who are burried alive with $8 million of diamonds" was just so great. He actually made Niki and Paolo relevant again... if just for a moment. I love what he said about Jacob's last moments too -- that he was hoping Ben would not do it right up until the moment Ben stabbed him. Wow, that hit Ben hard! I suspect that some of the characters we love are going to die over the next couple months, but I really hope Miles makes it back to civillization so he can enjoy spending the money from those diamonds ;)

Best Miles line: "oh, oh."

--Jason "I'd give this ep an 8 out of 10... I liked it" Evans

At this point, I want answers, not more character development. I really don't care who lives or dies with the exception of Miles. The only other people I developed any real attachment to--the original Locke and Sawyer/Juliet couple--are dead at least on the island. I was hoping to get more of Dogen also, but Sayid messed that up. If several main characters do not die, I will be disappointed.

JG Nothing
03-10-2010, 12:18 AM
Just thought of something else significant in this episode-- Rousseau never goes to the island in the alt-timeline. This helps us in dating the island sinking.

So, we know the island was still there in 1977 when Ben is there with his father and we know that it is not there in 1988 when Rousseau would have shipwrecked and given birth to Alex.

--Jason "hmmm" Evans

Do we really know enough about the alt-time line to make that assumption? When do the two worlds diverge? I thought it was in 1977 when the bomb went off. In the alt-world Rousseau may have simply made different life decisions regardless of the island's existence or non-existence.

A-Tex Devil
03-10-2010, 12:30 AM
What does "Jacob was like a father to me" imply? Has there been any indication before that Jacob has had significant or ongoing interactions with people other than MIB?

Wasn't there a scene last season where she was in a burn unit and he visited her. I can't remember if she knew him at that point or not.

JasonEvans
03-10-2010, 12:55 AM
Wasn't there a scene last season where she was in a burn unit and he visited her. I can't remember if she knew him at that point or not.

She was in a Russian hopsital and he did visit her. He asked her to help him with something, but we do not know what it was. They clearly knew each other before then because he appologized for not visiting her in the hospital sooner and she clearly seemed to recognize him.

-Jason "even Ilana does not know which of Sun or Jin she is supposed to protect" Evans

JG Nothing
03-10-2010, 12:59 AM

You are correct and I think she knew him. I just found her comment interesting and was not sure how to unpack it.

A-Tex Devil
03-10-2010, 12:59 AM
She was in a Russian hopsital and he did visit her. He asked her to help him with something, but we do not know what it was. They clearly knew each other before then because he appologized for not visiting her in the hospital sooner and she clearly seemed to recognize him.

-Jason "even Ilana does not know which of Sun or Jin she is supposed to protect" Evans

It has to be Jin right? There has to be a reason everyone went back in time except for Sun.

This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EiIOB9ZWcU&feature=player_embedded#)was funny (and hearkens back to an earlier board post)

juise
03-10-2010, 02:06 AM
I think it simply means they cannot kill themselves. Of course, that begs the question, why would it be necessary to make it impossible for candidates to kill themselves?

Doesn't this sound like what happened to Michael? Except he never interacted with Jacob. He only interacted with Christian (FLocke?) right before the ship exploded.

Pacer
03-10-2010, 07:52 AM
I think it is evident that Whidmore is on Flocke's side. He had to send Locke back so MIB could get Ben to kill Jacob. This also sets the stage for a Whidmore versus Ben confrontation since they are on opposing sides.

We know that Widmore hired Miles... and we know Bram kidnapped Miles and told Miles that he was on the wrong side... We now know Bram was with Jacob and against Flocke...

Widmore must be with Flocke.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-10-2010, 09:15 AM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EiIOB9ZWcU&feature=player_embedded#)was funny (and hearkens back to an earlier board post)
This is too funny and unexpected. Spewed my coffee when "that" came up on the video! Don't want to spoil it for you if you haven't clicked on the link yet!

A-Tex Devil
03-10-2010, 09:37 AM
This is too funny and unexpected. Spewed my coffee when "that" came up on the video! Don't want to spoil it for you if you haven't clicked on the link yet!

The best part is the cut to Locke at the end.

I am starting to agree on the Widmore thing, but when did he switch sides? While he was on the island? He is definitely going to the Hydra, but is it to join up with or to fight FLocke and Co.? As mentioned before, last night's episode did a lot to show the previous 2 seasons still hold some meaning in this final season where we all the sudden have shifted toward the Jacob vs. MiB plot.

I still think (and hope) the flashsideways are going to end sooner than end of year, with hopefully the last 5-6 episodes focusing on the island, MiB and even Richard. The only 2 flash sideways that are even worth seeing at this point are the Sun/Jin one when they do their inevitable reunion, and Hurley.

JG Nothing
03-10-2010, 09:40 AM
The best part is the cut to Locke at the end.

I am starting to agree on the Widmore thing, but when did he switch sides? While he was on the island? He is definitely going to the Hydra, but is it to join up with or to fight FLocke and Co.? As mentioned before, last night's episode did a lot to show the previous 2 seasons still hold some meaning in this final season where we all the sudden have shifted toward the Jacob vs. MiB plot.

Widmore was banished from the island. Perhaps he blames Jacob.

mkirsh
03-10-2010, 09:59 AM

Jacob also touched Locke, who died off island but now can't die on island once taken over by Smokey? I think that is the "loophole" that Jacob mentioned; his adversary taking over the form of someone touched by Jacob.

Also, are we sure that Christian is smokey, or is there a Jacob version as well? Remember the boat freighter was hired by Whidmore, so assuming he is on the side of smokey, why did Christian appear telling Michael to blow it up?

Pacer
03-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Remember the boat freighter was hired by Whidmore, so assuming he is on the side of smokey, why did Christian appear telling Michael to blow it up?

I don't think he did... Christian showed up below deck on the freighter and told Michael that his job was done... (that he stalled the explosion long enough). Are you thinking of some other encounter that I'm forgetting?

JasonEvans
03-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Also, are we sure that Christian is smokey, or is there a Jacob version as well?

I think many fans feel there is a MIB Christian and a Jacob Christian.

-Jason

johnb
03-10-2010, 10:59 AM
We know that Widmore hired Miles... and we know Bram kidnapped Miles and told Miles that he was on the wrong side... We now know Bram was with Jacob and against Flocke...

Widmore must be with Flocke.

Your logic makes sense, but Lost could switch the affiliations in under a minute.

johnb
03-10-2010, 11:34 AM
I wonder how they are going to explain how Jacob's touch led Richard to island immortality (and the slaver feeling enslaved) in a sort of converse to Charlie's inevitable death. Having grown up reading sci fi, I hate it when there isn't internal consistency, and I don't see how Richard could not only dodge aging AND dodge injury AND be unable to kill himself BUT be able to be killed, presumably by one of the select. I assume there will be an island rule similar to the seemingly idiosyncratic death requirements for Jacob, Sayid, and Claire (and now, apparently, Jack).

A small point, but I found it annoying that the principal's leverage over Ben was the letter of recommendation that she asserted needed to be written by a Yale alum. It's as if the scales of justice had the death and destruction of the world on the one hand and the minimal positive gain to be had by using a Yale alum for a LOR as opposed to using one's history teacher. It also annoyed me that they needed to make the principal such a banal tyrant and that they created a milquetoast Ben who'd be able to dredge up his inner Machiavelli so readily. And how would the daughter of hot, swashbuckling French academics wind up in an American suburb?

I did, however, like the gas parallel--Ben the killer plus Ben the savior; I bet the writers were pleased with themeselves when they thought that one up...

johnb
03-10-2010, 11:37 AM
I also wonder if Miles did his thing with Paulo and Nikki while recovering the diamonds--that would be a very unpleasant last 5", watching your grave being filled up.

mkirsh
03-10-2010, 11:40 AM
I don't think he did... Christian showed up below deck on the freighter and told Michael that his job was done... (that he stalled the explosion long enough). Are you thinking of some other encounter that I'm forgetting?

I assumed he was telling Michael he could stop trying to stall the explosion and let the bomb go off, but agree with you now that I think about it I'm not sure who the explosion benefits.

mkirsh
03-10-2010, 11:46 AM
A small point, but I found it annoying that the principal's leverage over Ben was the letter of recommendation that she asserted needed to be written by a Yale alum. It's as if the scales of justice had the death and destruction of the world on the one hand and the minimal positive gain to be had by using a Yale alum for a LOR as opposed to using one's history teacher. It also annoyed me that they needed to make the principal such a banal tyrant and that they created a milquetoast Ben who'd be able to dredge up his inner Machiavelli so readily. And how would the daughter of hot, swashbuckling French academics wind up in an American suburb?

Agree that this was a weak set up - Ben can just wait until after Alex gets into Yale and then use the same blackmail info. This wasn't exactly the opposite of the sacrifice he made on the island, but the overall story was pretty good.

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-10-2010, 11:59 AM
That speech by island-Ben to Illana (or is it Illyana? or...something else) was oddly touching. The final line - "because he's the only one who'll have me" was reminiscent of the old line from An Officer and a Gentlman when Richard Gere's character (Mayo-nnaise) tells Louis Gosset Jr.'s character, "I got nowhere else to go!"

I love the connection. That scene is supposed to be all dramatic, but it usually makes me laugh.

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Jacob also touched Locke, who died off island but now can't die on island once taken over by Smokey? I think that is the "loophole" that Jacob mentioned; his adversary taking over the form of someone touched by Jacob.

I thought the loophole was having Ben kill Jacob for him, since MIB couldn't do it himself.

snowdenscold
03-10-2010, 12:21 PM
It took me forever to realize who the Prinipcal was (even though when I saw William Atherton in the guest credits the name immediately rang a bell). He's the annoying reporter from the first two Die Hard movies (and the obnoxious bureaucrat in Ghost Busters).

Agreed the 'uh oh' line by Miles was awesome - he gets many of the best one-liners.

ncexnyc
03-10-2010, 12:23 PM
I was very pleased with last night's episode. TPTB are doing a very good job keeping things murky and making us wonder which side is good and which is bad.

I'm still not a fan of the alternate lives. Did Ben really do the right thing last night? He made the choice to help his pet student, in effect turning his back on the other students. Wasn't there an episode titled, "The Greater Good?"

I don't believe certain people can't be killed, it's just they can't take their own life. Ben's dad did indeed kill Sayid, but he was brought back to life by the pool.

The Widmore vs Ben storyline should be interesting. Wasn't it Widmore who ordered Ben to kill Alex orginally, only to have Ben disobey that order? I can't recall why Widmore gave that order.

So I'm curious, was Richard a crewmember of the Black Rock or was he a prisoner on that ship? He seemed to be messing with the manacles in one scene. Not sure if there was any meaning in that. I guess there are several ways to inturpret it.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Where is Sayid while all of this is going on?

FreezingDevil
03-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Not that its of any actual significance, but I got a kick out of Ben's history lesson on Napoleon -- a power hungry, ego-maniacal, manipulative and brilliant man who died while imprisoned on a remote island. I thought for sure that Ben was a goner after hearing that. That's one more in the ever-growing list of things I've been wrong about with this show.

I also thought the subject of Ben's session with Alex, the Dutch East India Company, was interesting. After all, the Company was a trading empire that had a virtual monopoly on large parts of the South Pacific in the 18th and 19th Centuries...the approximate location and time when the Black Rock would have shipwrecked.

DukeUsul
03-10-2010, 01:19 PM
It took me forever to realize who the Prinipcal was (even though when I saw William Atherton in the guest credits the name immediately rang a bell). He's the annoying reporter from the first two Die Hard movies (and the obnoxious bureaucrat in Ghost Busters).

Agreed the 'uh oh' line by Miles was awesome - he gets many of the best one-liners.

Here's my Facebook status from last night at about 9:08PM:

"It's Walter Peck!"

My brother replies, "Yes, it's true, this man has no....."

JasonEvans
03-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Where is Sayid while all of this is going on?

He's going to the Hydra station with FLocke, Kate, Claire, and all the Others who fled the Temple.

-Jason

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-10-2010, 01:57 PM

He was also professor whose house was destroyed by the giant jiffy pop in Real Genius (to tie back to the Lazlo discussion in this thread). He really plays a great jerk.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-10-2010, 01:58 PM
He's going to the Hydra station with FLocke, Kate, Claire, and all the Others who fled the Temple.

-Jason
Ah, right. Thanks Jason.

snowdenscold
03-10-2010, 02:36 PM
So I'm curious, was Richard a crewmember of the Black Rock or was he a prisoner on that ship? He seemed to be messing with the manacles in one scene. Not sure if there was any meaning in that. I guess there are several ways to inturpret it.

Given that FLocke said, "Nice to see you out of those chains, Richard" (or somethign to that effect), I'm pretty sure he came as a prisoner.

A-Tex Devil
03-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Given that FLocke said, "Nice to see you out of those chains, Richard" (or somethign to that effect), I'm pretty sure he came as a prisoner.

This is one of those maddening things where I bet on the recap episode next week, the pop up bubble says "Richard came to the island on the black rock."

ORLY? I mean, I know we should be able to deduce things, but if it's an actual FACT, just say so on the show! They did the same thing with respect to Ben and the pool in the temple this week. They said "Ben was brought to this pool after he was shot by Sayid." Well I know he was brought to the temple, and I assumed after this year he was brought to the pool, but I guess now that it's in a pop up bubble, it's a fact? Just a pet peeve.

johnb
03-10-2010, 09:55 PM
I'd thought it was a slave ship--I wasn't a history major, but my recollection of slavery is that it focused on Africans, so why would Richard have been in chains? Hmmm

To pursue this further, I went to lostpedia, which pointed out that dynamite wasn't invented until 20+ years after the ship was sunk.

JasonEvans
03-11-2010, 12:42 AM
Gotta love Lostpedia...

Among the nuggets from the latest episode--

The Principal at Ben's school is named Donald Lawrence Reynolds. Someone actually figured out that an anagram of "Donald Lawrence Reynolds" is "A cloned world nearly ends."

Lostpedia also points out that there is a timeline problem in the Flash sideways--

Alex's mention of the European History AP test being on Friday places the episode in early May, the only time the test is offered, but her request for a letter of recommendation to Yale places the episode earlier, during college application season, September through February.

I cannot believe people disect this stuff this much ;)

Also, there is some discussion that perhaps Whidmore is the "Wallace" that Jacob was talking about bringing to the island. Certainly it appears that Whidmore has found a way to get to the island when, for years, he was unable to do so. Perhaps Jacob's death has caused the island to no longer be hidden.

-Jason "love me some Lost conversation!" Evans

OZZIE4DUKE
03-11-2010, 02:22 AM
Also, there is some discussion that perhaps Whidmore is the "Wallace" that Jacob was talking about bringing to the island. Certainly it appears that Whidmore has found a way to get to the island when, for years, he was unable to do so. Perhaps Jacob's death has caused the island to no longer be hidden.

-Jason "love me some Lost conversation!" Evans
Seeing Whidmore in the sub was about the biggest "unsurprise" we've had in 6 seasons of the show. Even I expected it when we first saw the periscope pierce the water.

snowdenscold
03-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Seeing Whidmore in the sub was about the biggest "unsurprise" we've had in 6 seasons of the show. Even I expected it when we first saw the periscope pierce the water.

You are a better man than I, sir. :)

snowdenscold
03-11-2010, 11:37 AM
I'd thought it was a slave ship--I wasn't a history major, but my recollection of slavery is that it focused on Africans, so why would Richard have been in chains? Hmmm

Well, this did happen in the Pacific, not on the usual Africa-America Atlantic trading routes. Or perhaps he managed to really piss his crew off... :rolleyes:

Duvall
03-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Well, this did happen in the Pacific, not on the usual Africa-America Atlantic trading routes. Or perhaps he managed to really piss his crew off... :rolleyes:

We don't know where the Island was when it came into contact with the Black Rock.

Given the show's love of giving characters emotionally tortured backstories, it wouldn't surprise me if we learned that Richard was part of the ship's crew rather than a prisoner.

BluDevilGal
03-11-2010, 06:37 PM

Haha. My first thought when I saw the periscope was "but Locke blew up the sub!" Apparently I'm not terribly quick at figuring things out. :-P

Udaman
03-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Good espisode (two in a row now).

What we learned: A Chosen one cannot be killed by anyone other than another chosen one (while on the island). This is why the Temple people could not kill Sayed and wanted Jack to do it. This is why Richard needed Jack to kill him.

A Chosen on is someone that Jacob touched. But he never touched Ben.

There is clearly a theme about choice going on...Sayed could have stayed in the Temple, but chose not to. Ben could have gone to Locke...but chose not to. In the end, people will chose to stay or leave the island, I would imagine.

What we don't know:

Why did Jacob want Sayed to be "saved?" Was it merely to get Jack on the good side?

Would Sayed have died without being put in the water? After all, a chosen one can't be killed (per Richard, Ben, etc).

Will Whitmore be on Locke's side or against him?

Will we see Desmond again (I think absolutely).

We have 10 episodes left, I believe. The flash sideways will look at Hurley, Sun and Jin, and Sawyer. That leaves 7 more episodes.

I will miss this show, even when it drives me crazy at times.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-13-2010, 12:06 PM
Good espisode (two in a row now).
I'm guessing no one else has watched this yet. I know I haven't, being in Greensboro... :D:cool: Hopefully I'll watch it Sunday night, maybe after the selection show! I'm predicting #1 in the West! As for Lost, I have no predictions...

BluDevilGal
03-13-2010, 01:50 PM
What we learned: A Chosen one cannot be killed by anyone other than another chosen one (while on the island).

Really? The way I interpreted what Alpert said was that someone touched by Jacob cannot commit suicide. I didn't hear anything that would concretely indicate anything more than that, but maybe I wasn't listen closely enough.

Udaman
03-13-2010, 07:13 PM
I jumped to that conclusion....since it made sense. It's why the temple people wanted Jack to kill Sayed (because they couldn't). Again, just my thoughts.

JasonEvans
03-14-2010, 12:02 AM
Really? The way I interpreted what Alpert said was that someone touched by Jacob cannot commit suicide. I didn't hear anything that would concretely indicate anything more than that, but maybe I wasn't listen closely enough.

Yeah, I did not get the "no one else can kill a chosen one except a chosen one" vibe from the episode at all. I don't even think Richard is a "candidate." Richard may have been touched by Jacob and given the gift of eternal life, but I don't think he is a candidate. We would likely have seen the name "Alpert" on the wheel or in the cave if he was a candidate.

I think Richard merely meant that because Jacob had given him eternal life, he could not take his own life. I get the impression that he maybe has tried before and failed.

I am far from convinced that Jack, Kate, Sun/Jin, Hurley, and Sayid have been given eternal life by Jacob either. In fact, we saw Jacob touch Locke and Locke clearly can die. Heck, Rousseau was one of the names on the Lighthouse wheel and all it took to kill her was a bullet from Keamey and his men.

I am eager for the Richard backstory episode which, I hope, will include him trying to kill himself.

--Jason "worth noting that Michael tried to committ suicide but the Island kept him alive too" Evans

Art Deco
03-14-2010, 08:23 PM
I am eager for the Richard backstory episode which, I hope, will include him trying to kill himself.

2-1 he dies at the end of his centric; it's a typical fate for secondary Lost characters who get their own episode - see Shannon, Ana-Lucia, Eko, Faraday.

Also, one of the earlier posts mentioned that FLocke is not present in the alternate timeline. This may be true, but the Locke character in the substitute's lounge seemed more like FLocke in egging Ben on to go for the principal's job, and he was wearing a gray shirt - an interesting color choice that I doubt was unintentional. Remember the first time we saw FLocke was in the Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham, when he was standing on the beach after the Ajira crash eating a mango - and wearing a gray shirt.