PDA

View Full Version : NYC viewing

howiebearsd
03-09-2010, 02:55 PM
I'm visiting the City this weekend and wanted to catch Duke's ACC matchup on Friday. Does anyone have any suggestions for places to watch the game in the Chelsea/Meat Packing district?

weezie
03-09-2010, 03:23 PM
http://www.dukealumni.com/olc/pub/DUKE/cm_clubs/club_7.html

This was sent to IDs yesterday. Other spots across the country, too.

Trooper
03-09-2010, 04:31 PM
The Village Pourhouse is the Duke Club bar in NY, but that's located in the East Village (11th and 3rd ave)--- not terribly far from Chelsea or Meatpacking, but definitely a very different neighborhood.

If you're looking for a place that will have a lot of Duke fans, that's the place to go and it should be crowded for the game. If you just want a sportsbar to watch the game downtown on the west side, I'd check out the following places depending on what you're looking for...

The Ainsworth (26th and 6th) -- Ultra trendy sports bar with tons of brand new flatscreen TVs. This place is populated with people in their 20s/30s and the girls are generally dressed like they're going to a club from the bar later that night. If you're looking for a scene, this is the place. It'll be packed.

Barrow St. Ale House (Barrow just east of 7th ave) -- very solid sports bar with fantastic bar food at reasonable prices. I think this is the best place to watch a game on the west side. Only downside is that it could be tough to get a table at times since there aren't too many. I'd go a bit early.

Dewey's Flatiron (25th and 5th) -- low key bar that's never crowded and has enough TVs that they'll always put one of the flatscreens on whatever you ask them to. Food is good, but it's a bit overpriced for what it is.

The only place I can even think of that's actually in meatpacking would be Brass Monkey. I've never been there for a game, and it functions more as a clubby scene at night, but they do advertise that they show sports earlier in the evening and during the day. Don't remember the address off hand, but it's near little west 12th in the heart of meatpacking.