PDA

View Full Version : Idol: Final 3

JasonEvans
05-16-2007, 09:24 AM
Whew-- I am not sure who goes. All three of them performed at a very high level.

There is little question in my mind that Blake is not the singer that the 2 women are, but he is a fabulous performer/entertainer and that counts for something. His last song choice did not thrill me, but he was solid. "Roxanne" was tough for him because it is such an iconic song. He put his own spin on it and I liked it, but something just felt a little bit "wrong" about it. He just nailed "This Love" and that is exactly the kind of song he is going to make lots of money on after the show is done. I am not familliar with "When I Get You Alone" and it sounded sorta strange at times. I can't decide if it was a poor choice for his last song. He needed something that would make the teenaged girls flock to their phones and I simply am not sure. Maybe I am too old. Can someone younger than 30 tell me if that is a known/popular song?

Melinda just knocked it out of the park on all three songs. She remains devoid of personality for the most part, though she did a nice job putting on a Tina Turner impression with "Nutbush City Limits." As the judges said, she has consistently been at the top every single week and has not had a single performance that made you cringe. She's a fabulous singer, no question about it. Doing a Whitney song, "I Believe in You and Me" takes guts. It is not easy to get to Whitney's level but Melinda did it. She is unquestionably one of the most talented singers to ever appear on Idol. But, does she have the personality to bring in the votes?

Jordin stepped up around mid-season and announced herself as a contender and has not let up one bit. I think she and Melinda made the same mistake though of doing a song that is obvious and tired on Idol -- Melinda did it with "I'm a Woman" and Jodin did it with "She Works Hard for the Money." Is it just me or do we hear these songs every single week? Jordin's song choice was easily the worst of the top 3. She did not seem at all contemporary or modern. how can a 17-year-old pick such old-fashioned songs week after week? Still, she sings with power and is captivating.

Who goes home? Goodness, I have no idea! Recall last year that the voting for Elliot, McFever, and Soul Patrol at the final 3 was extremely close (I think they were only separated by fractions of percentage points) and I think we will see something similar this year.

Odds they go home:
Blake 40%
Jordin 35%
Melinda 25%

-Jason "we got the final 3 right, that's for sure-- no one else this season has been close to these 3" Evans

mr. synellinden
05-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Just to clarify a few things - When I Get You Alone was the first single released by Robin Thicke (who had a top 10 hit last month) about four or five years ago. It didn't really make it big in the U.S. but had some success internationally. I agree it wasn't the best song choice for Blake. I also agree This Love was perfect for him and was his best performance.

In terms of song choices, the only songs the contestants chose were the last ones they did of the three. The first one was chosen by one of the judges, the second one was chosen by the producers and the contestants chose the third one. So Melinda's performance of the Whitney song, although extremely well done, wasn't really gutsy - she had to sing it.

Similarly, Jordin did not choose She Works Hard for the Money - the producers did. I thought she was great on the first song (which Simon chose) and didn't really get Simon's issue with the arrangement.

I think the judge's praise of Melinda will catapult her to the finals (although I agree that she is a dull performer even if she is so technically talented). I just enjoy watching Blake and Jordin so much more. Unfortunately, I think one of them goes - Dial Idol seems to agree although it is extremely close and I think the results will be very tight. I predict Blake will go home.

ajtrublu
05-16-2007, 10:51 AM
I'm actually predicting Jordin to go this time. I think it will be very close between her and Blake, but I also think Blake picked up the Chris contingent, and he's consistently the only one who's doing songs written during his lifetime. It frustrates me to no end that Jordin has not exploited what differentiates her from Melinda and Lakisha, her youth. Except for the Gwen Stefani week, she comes across to me as a thirty-something. I think the final should be her and Melinda, but I have a feeling it may not be. And I wouldn't be scandalized by Blake making it. He has proven himself to be a true artist and has been head and shoulders above anyone else in his originality and contemporaryism (my new word).

I disagree that Melida is a dull performer. I find her the most compelling to watch and have for a while. She not only, in my opinion, has the best voice, she by far has the most skill. She's amazingly controlled and smart in the way she sings. As Randy says ad nauseum, she's a pro. To me that comes across quite strongly. That Whitney song isn't just hard because of the Whitney comparison, that is one FRIGGIN' HARD SONG TO SING.

I'm with Simon on the arrangement of the song he selected for Jordin. I hated it, and I've always really liked that song. The arrangement of "She Works Hard for the Money" sucked too. For all the people who have been convinced the producers are pushing Jordin, I think they proved that false with their choice for her this week. I think it may almost have been the kiss of death.

Bostondevil
05-16-2007, 06:57 PM
I disagree that Melida is a dull performer. I find her the most compelling to watch and have for a while. She not only, in my opinion, has the best voice, she by far has the most skill. She's amazingly controlled and smart in the way she sings. As Randy says ad nauseum, she's a pro.

Thanks aj, it makes me feel so much better to know I'm not alone. I love watching Melinda. And I'll second, third, fourth, whatever the comment that she's a pro.

IUGrad03
05-16-2007, 09:09 PM
While I agree that the girls have better singing voices, I think Blake hands down is the best performer. He knows himself and knows what kind of image he projects. I actually look forward to watching him perform.

I like Jordin and Melinda too, and love Melinda's voice, but I do not quite look forward to their performances.

My hope is for the final two to be Melinda and Blake.

On another note, I'm thrilled that both Maroon 5 and Elliot Yamin are in the hous tonight (oh did I just have a Randy moment?)

ajtrublu
05-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Melinda not in the finals...that's just wrong. Ah well. Sad thing is that although I've enjoyed both Jordin and Blake, this feels so off to me that I don't really care which of them wins. At the moment I don't even feel the need to watch the finals.

IUGrad03
05-16-2007, 11:04 PM
This was such a strange AI to me. I really wanted Blake to be in the finals, mainly because I want to see him perform again, however I would not pick him to be the winner since Jordin and Melinda both have better voices. I just gravitate to Blake more than the others.

On the other hand, watching Melinda leave tonight just felt wrong. She is so incredibly talented, humble and grounded. I do think however, that going out third and going out with such a strong performance and nothing to be ashamed of, might just be the very best thing for her career. I don't know that being the American Idol would have actually been a good thing for her. She, like Elliot (sp) have great raw talent and don't need the American Idol title to bring in fans. They need to have free reign to develop their own albums with their own styles.

That being said, with Melinda gone, I'm now less interested in the finale. It just doesn't make sense.

edensquad
05-16-2007, 11:29 PM
All three will get record deals. Melinda will be fine; she will get a shot to be a hit artist... if that doesn't pan out, she will make a fine living from now on singing in the background. Talent like hers is a rare thing... she really is a GREAT singer.

I was really pulling for her.... now, re: Blake and Jordin, can I get a group shrug, lol???