03-09-2010, 01:11 PM
http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030910aaa.html

Greivis Vasquez, Md 39
Jon Scheyer, Duke 12
Malcolm Delaney, VT 2

...wasn't very close

Duvall
03-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Vasquez had a great year, but if the writers are going to give the award to the "Player of the Last Two Months," then they should really call it that.

CameronBornAndBred
03-09-2010, 01:21 PM
No shock, he deserved it. I'd still rather have Jon on my team.

cbnaylor
03-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Wow, I thought it would have been a little bit closer than that. Oh well. Scheyer will just have to be the ACC Tournament MVP. :)

moonpie23
03-09-2010, 01:23 PM
congrats greivis.....!!!

BlueintheFace
03-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Gary Williams named COY too, but that surprises nobody

SlimSlowSlider
03-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Vasquez had a great year, but if the writers are going to give the award to the "Player of the Last Two Months," then they should really call it that.

I think the conference games are the most important part of the season, so I cannot blame the voters for the choice.

And I think it is pretty common in all player of the year awards, across sports, to give "bonus points" to the player who finishes strong (e.g., in a baseball playoff race, the guy who elevates his game in crunch time is given credit for that).

strawbs
03-09-2010, 01:32 PM

ok, but it really is the player of the last two months, because two months ago was when the conference schedule started. Jon had a GREAT first half of the year, but his stats and play have dipped a little over the last month to month and a half, while vasquez's stats have gotten better.

I would have loved to see scheyer win poy, but it really doesn't surprise me at all that he didnt

rotogod00
03-09-2010, 01:32 PM

Maybe it's "Player of ACC Conference Play", in which case the right guy won

94duke
03-09-2010, 01:37 PM
also not a surprise.

Tim1515
03-09-2010, 01:44 PM
Maybe it's "Player of ACC Conference Play", in which case the right guy won

I'm under the impression that is the case. Jon had an outstanding year but his numbers dropped some in the conference where Vasquez's numbers got better.

allenmurray
03-09-2010, 01:47 PM

GW is my least favorite coach in all of college basketball. That being said, he deserved the award.

Duvall
03-09-2010, 01:50 PM
GW is my least favorite coach in all of college basketball. That being said, he deserved the award.

Really? There are some real pieces of work out there.

In most years the Coach of the Year voting is a real mess, but this is one of the exceptions.

CDu
03-09-2010, 01:55 PM
I'm under the impression that is the case. Jon had an outstanding year but his numbers dropped some in the conference where Vasquez's numbers got better.

Yeah, during conference play, Vasquez put up the better performances. During the non-conference play, Scheyer obviously put up much better numbers. If it's an "in-conference" award, it should go to Vasquez.

-bdbd
03-09-2010, 01:56 PM

Yeah, but now we just need to see how he'll work that award into every conversation... ;)

I don't have a problem with GV winning it, though the margin is surprising. (Politics?) But GV got hot right at the right time - the last few weeks - and he passed the final "eye test" in College Park last Wednesday vs Duke. (If Duke wins that game on a last-second Scheyer shot, then that would certainly have affected the vote.) Both kids are deserving. But I like ours.

On a side note, though not surprising, kinda interesting how Delaney was essentially ignored in POY voting. In some other years his stats could have WON the award. It kinda illustrates the lack of media attention a "backwater" school like VPI has to go up against...

BlueintheFace
03-09-2010, 01:57 PM

Wow. Strong words. I actually like Gary. I think he is the 2nd best coach in the conference and one of the best in the nation. I shudder to think what he could do with the kind of talent he SHOULD be bringing in to MD given MDs location, history, and conference

allenmurray
03-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Really? There are some real pieces of work out there.

Two reasons:

1) The others at the top of my list we don't have to play twice a year.

2) While I am a Duke fan (grad school at Duke) the University of Maryland is my undergraduate alma mater. I loved Lefty - one of the last great characters in college basketball. GW has made me detest the basketball program at the very school I attended. Thus while there will always be a soft spot in my heart for Lefty, I hold GW in such low regard that when the University of Maryland plays unc I actually pass out from the pain of the cognitive dissonance.

allenmurray
03-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Wow. Strong words. I actually like Gary. I think he is the 2nd best coach in the conference and one of the best in the nation. I shudder to think what he could do with the kind of talent he SHOULD be bringing in to MD given MDs location, history, and conference

Thinking he is a great coach, and liking him, are two different things. What about him is there to like?

Delaware
03-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Thinking he is a great coach, and liking him, are two different things. What about him is there to like?

Gary is a very good in game and prep coach... gets the most out of his guys. Other than K, he is the best coach in that regard in the league.

As for his personal likability... not so much. I could list a number of faults, but his continuing to allow (encourage?) the behavior of the MD fans is all the ammo I need.

allenmurray
03-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Gary is a very good in game and prep coach... gets the most out of his guys.

Agree.

As for his personal likability... not so much. I could list a number of faults, but his continuing to allow (encourage?) the behavior of the MD fans is all the ammo I need.

Agree again. I know many other Maryland alumni who are outraged at the poor image Gary and his fans have brought to the program and the university. He and the fans feed each other, and I hold him responsible for the fan thuggishness and the near zero% graduation rate. If he chose to he could change both those things. He doesn't care enough to make the effort.

YourLandlord
03-09-2010, 02:31 PM
This was an "MVP" vote.

As in, Duke without Scheyer is still pretty darn good.

MD without GV is terrible.

Although Scheyer might be the better player, GV got the "Peyton Manning" vote -- as in, without this player, the team would be very very bad.

capitolhill
03-09-2010, 02:40 PM
.... GW has made me detest the basketball program at the very school I attended. Thus while there will always be a soft spot in my heart for Lefty, I hold GW in such low regard that when the University of Maryland plays unc I actually pass out from the pain of the cognitive dissonance.

That's pretty strong language for someone that I'm guessing you don't know personally. What, exactly, has GW done to make you hold him in such low regard?

hurleyfor3
03-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Rodney Monroe over Laettner in 1991, anyone?

Ima Facultiwyfe
03-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Jon is still the one I'd rather bring home on the bus!
Love, Ima

Channing
03-09-2010, 03:20 PM
I don't know how you can look at the numbers from ACC play and contest the choice? GV was simply better on offense, and Jon's Defense wasn't so superior as to give him a leg up.

Dont get me wrong, Jon is great, and I love having him on our team, but his shooting percentage in conference isn't great, and he doesnt have any "WOW" games like GV's 41 against V.Tech. Plus, in Duke v. MD II GV was the one who put the finishing touches on Duke.

Spret42
03-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Like someone else said, it was an MVP vote.

Vasquez gets the "what would they be without him" vote by a mile.

Scheyer is a damned fine player. He played four good years and has a real chance to be on a final four team. I don't think many should shed a tear for the young man.

It is kind of hard to argue that Scheyer was a better overall player in the ACC season than Vasquez.

jv001
03-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Agree.

Agree again. I know many other Maryland alumni who are outraged at the poor image Gary and his fans have brought to the program and the university. He and the fans feed each other, and I hold him responsible for the fan thuggishness and the near zero% graduation rate. If he chose to he could change both those things. He doesn't care enough to make the effort.

GV was a deserving choice and I have no problem with the selection. As for COY, Coach K was the best coach in the ACC this year. His team won more games and has the highest ratings with a good chance at a #1 seed. However he's never going to win the award again. It's just not going to happen. As for why I don't like Gary, see the above comments from someone close to the program(alum). He does not use student-athletes. Terrible graduations rates and the fans behavior is something you would expect from prison inmates. Go Duke!

Chitowndevil
03-09-2010, 03:51 PM
It's hard to argue with this. Maryland has nowhere near the talent on Duke's roster. They are the biggest overachieving team in the conference and when you toss in a regular season co-championship I think PoY and CoY were a foregone conclusion. I'm not sure Duke winning last Wednesday would have made a difference though it would at least have been close.

I don't like Maryland fans' behavior either but I also don't think it takes away from either award. Fan behavior and grad rates are also the responsibility of the AD and university as a whole. Remember in probably the most infamous fan incident at Cameron it was "Uncle" Terry Sanford who reprimanded the fans.

allenmurray
03-09-2010, 03:54 PM
That's pretty strong language for someone that I'm guessing you don't know personally. What, exactly, has GW done to make you hold him in such low regard?

You are correct that I don't know him personally. My post read, as a basketball coach . . .

As I said in the post you apparantly didn't read - Gary could impact both the fan behavior and the graduation rate if he chose to. He obviously chooses not to. As an alumnus of the University of Maryland I feel he has brought negative attention to a university that has made tremendous strides as regards the quality of its academic mission, by allowing a culture of unchecked negative fan behavior and a culture that divorces academics from athletics as regards his student-athletes (though I do realize this years crop of seniors is a notable postive exception to the last 8 or 9 years).

On the other hand, you are the same poster who was defending student behavior in light of loud and clear profanities on national television and post-game rioting, so I'm not sure why I'm even responding to your questions about why someone wuold find the current athletic culture at UofM disturbing.

allenmurray
03-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Remember in probably the most infamous fan incident at Cameron it was "Uncle" Terry Sanford who reprimanded the fans.

Yes, but at that point Coach K was still "new"enough that he didn't have the same influence he does today - after he was more established he took a lead in dealing with student behavior. Gary Williams has the length of tenure (and the national championship ring) to give him the gravitas needed to tame the fan base if he chose to.

77devil
03-09-2010, 04:02 PM

Gary's not even my least favorite in the ACC, in fact there are a few in front of him, and he's not even close nationally. There are those who claim that Gary has tried to control the crowd, Wilbon and Debbie Yow amongst them. I've never witnessed it and am not sure what to believe. The graduation rate is a problem at many of the major programs and the data can be deceiving the way it's calculated by the NCAA. I'd need to parse it more.

I'm not a fan of Gary but he appears to run a clean program and seems to have Coach K's respect which speaks volumes. That's more than can be said for some real sleazy coaches out there. There's a guy in the SEC you might of heard of. He's at or near the top of my list.

Spret42
03-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Gary's not even my least favorite in the ACC, in fact there are a few in front of him, and he's not even close nationally. There are those who claim that Gary has tried to control the crowd, Wilbon and Debbie Yow amongst them. I've never witnessed it and am not sure what to believe. The graduation rate is a problem at many of the major programs and the data can be deceiving the way it's calculated by the NCAA. I'd need to parse it more.

I'm not a fan of Gary but he appears to run a clean program and seems to have Coach K's respect which speaks volumes. That's more than can be said for some real sleazy coaches out there. There's a guy in the SEC you might of heard of. He's at or near the top of my list.

There are a ton of respected people in basketball who really like Gary Williams. I recently heard Jay Bilas on Tony Kornheiser's radio show and he wasn't shy about saying there were people in basketball he really disliked, and then he went out of his way to say how much he really liked Williams. We all know Bilas is a stand up guy.

The thing about college basketball is that there is a lot of "slick salesmen" and "wise sage of all things" stuff with the coaches and the way the sell themselves to both the players and the media.

Gary has never tried to be either. All the guy seems to want to do is coach "his guys." He doesn't try to control the crowd, but at the same time, he has never been a rah rah with the students type of coach either beyond the idiocy of midnight madness.

The grad rate is bad though. I agree about the ridiculous way it is calculated. However, Gary is a guy that his players seem to honor and like as well. So really that does speak well for him.

78Devil
03-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Gary Williams probably deserves the award this year. But while he may be a good in game coach, I think he has the type of personality that -- if we weren't generally dominating the Terps over the past few years -- we would all detest. In fact, I seem to remember less generous posts on this BB about him over the years.......

davekay1971
03-09-2010, 05:21 PM
I'm appalled that Roy Williams didn't win coach of the year. That frickin' man has tried frickin' harder than anyone imaginable to get his dadgum team to win this year. Just listen to him! It's not his fault that his players are uncoachable nitwits. He tells them what to do, and they just don't do it. Dadgummit! He has more passion in his dadgum little finger than the rest of the ACC coaches put together. How can you not award a man who's gone through surgery, recovery, passing out, heckling from notoriously obnoxious Blue Hosers, multiple deep squats, depression, anxiety, and untold agnst all in a season? That man willed, willed, a winning record out of a young (just 2 starting seniors), undertalented (just 7 McDonald's All-Americans) team. What other frickin' coach could have done that?

PS: Congrats to Greivis and Gary, but Jon and K are still better.

brickey
03-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Dont get me wrong, Jon is great, and I love having him on our team, but his shooting percentage in conference isn't great, and he doesnt have any "WOW" games like GV's 41 against V.Tech. Plus, in Duke v. MD II GV was the one who put the finishing touches on Duke.

So Jon should be penalized for leading his team to more regulation-time victories in conference play than GV did for UMD?

This was an "MVP" vote.

Or one for "OPOY," Offensive Player of the Year.

GV got hot right at the right time - the last few weeks - and he passed the final "eye test" in College Park last Wednesday vs Duke. (If Duke wins that game on a last-second Scheyer shot, then that would certainly have affected the vote.....

Another hypothetical: what if GV had been called for the three steps he took to get that shot off?

(While I don't think that no-call, or even the more egregious refereeing mistakes that preceded it, can be blamed for our loss to UMD, it's hard to ignore the externalities of Hess & crew's indecision on that play.)

Jon is still the one I'd rather bring home on the bus!
Love, Ima

I agree and find it hard to believe that you and I represent a 12 in 51 minority. I'm not suggesting anti-Duke bias, at least not here, but I think every voter should have at least considered the "who would I rather have" question before casting his/her ballot.

GV was a deserving choice and I have no problem with the selection.

I also agree. By no means am I trying to argue that GV isn't deserving. He most certainly is.

(Coach K) won more games and has the highest ratings with a good chance at a #1 seed. However he's never going to win the award again. It's just not going to happen.

True, but I think this misses the point a bit, in that COY voting seemingly always boils down to which team exceeded expectations the most. But considering the final conference standings and, as of this week's AP poll, that UMD is ranked 19th and Duke is ranked 4th, can anyone really say UMD exceeded expectations more than Duke did? (Preseason, the media picked UMD to finish 3rd in-conference and ranked them 25th in the AP poll. Duke, on the other hand, was picked --tied with UNC-- to finish 1st in conference and was ranked 9th in the preseason AP.)

That said, though, UMD has had a great season, and I think GW for COY is a fine choice. I also think GV for POY is a fine choice. But GW for COY and GV for POY, IMO, is flat wrong, not because the awards together seem to suggest that UMD is better than Duke or that UMD outperformed expectations more so than Duke, but because the prevailing argument supporting GV for POY undermines the only logical argument for awarding COY to GW -- in other words, the notion that, "MD without GV is terrible," naturally contradicts the implication that COY was responsible for his team's overall performance.

One last point of frustration.....

Yeah, during conference play, Vasquez put up the better performances. During the non-conference play, Scheyer obviously put up much better numbers. If it's an "in-conference" award, it should go to Vasquez.

From an efficiency standpoint, I disagree with your first assertion, but from any standpoint, really, I agree with your second. But guess who TSN put on their first team ahead of Scheyer? (http://www.goduke.com//ViewArticle.d...CLID=204904643.) Let's hope JS outperforms GV in the conference tourney, not only for Duke's sake, but so that the other AA awards still pending (from three other sources) don't follow suit.

CDu
03-09-2010, 08:29 PM
From an efficiency standpoint, I disagree with your first assertion, but from any standpoint, really, I agree with your second. But guess who TSN put on their first team ahead of Scheyer? (http://www.goduke.com//ViewArticle.d...CLID=204904643.) Let's hope JS outperforms GV in the conference tourney, not only for Duke's sake, but so that the other AA awards still pending (from three other sources) don't follow suit.

Maybe you haven't seen the stats on in-conference play. In-conference, Vasquez had the same points per shot average (1.29), and his A/TO ratio is nearly the same (1.9 vs 2.1 for Scheyer). Vasquez shot a much higher percentage from the field and a higher percentage from 3pt range in conference (Scheyer makes up the difference by getting to the line more and shooting more threes).

So I don't think it's a very debatable statement. In conference play, Vasquez was basically as efficient but also more productive. Thus, he had the better offensive performances. Jon's significant efficiency advantage comes only when you consider his otherworldly performance in November/December before conference play began.

I completely agree, however, on a national scale (which should take into account non-conference play), Scheyer should easily be ahead of Vasquez. Scheyer was a legit NPOY candidate based on his performance in the pre-conference season.

Cameron
03-09-2010, 09:28 PM
As I've said here before, I love Greivis' game. I'm sad for Jon, because I thought he did enough to he himself deserve the award, but I'm also happy for Vasquez. He's a great basketball player and an even better competitor, one of the best we've seen in the ACC over the past decade.

Some dislike him because he's brash and plays to be hated. I can't do that. Reggie Miller is my all-time favorite professional basketball player. I grew up idolizing Miller Time and played with that same flair in any game I ever took part in. That's the player Greivis is, and why I love his game so much. He's got heart. If you can't like him for anything else, respect him for that.

mapei
03-09-2010, 10:29 PM
I like GV's game a lot and think he's really entertaining to watch. I also don't think the non-conference games should be weighted equally with the conference games, which matter more and tend to be, on average, more challenging. I'd rather have Jon on our team because I like the level-headed style and he fits better with the Duke system, but I think GV earned the award.

As for Gary, my view is the same as allenmurray's. I don't know him personally but I can't stand anything about his public persona. He's definitely my least favorite coach.

ScreechTDX1847
03-09-2010, 10:33 PM

Well, Vasquez's numbers ahd nowhere to go but up (considering his talent) and Jon's numbers were so tremendous that they had to dip at some point. I mean if he had kept up those numbers then he would have been NPOY.

It almost seems like Jon was penalized for having such a great start to the year. In any event, Vasquez still is not a bad choice because he doesn't have Smith or Singler on his team to draw defensive attention.

Man, I freakin can't stand Vasquez though and care less what happens to him the rest of his career wherever.

Duke Mom
03-09-2010, 11:45 PM
While Vasquez is certainly a force to be reckoned with, when he is playing well, Jon Scheyer has talent and class. Same goes for the entire Duke team. When we played at Maryland one could hear choruses of Maryland F-bombs shouted at both individual Duke players and the team. Then the Maryland kids had problems with the police after the game. And those fan held giant pinwheels on free throws! Should those be allowed? Duke fans certainly scream, shout and taunt, but in recent years I have not seen or heard anything that I felt crossed the line, like I do see when we play Maryland. Duke pride for having both talent and class.

RelativeWays
03-10-2010, 08:10 AM
My biggest problem with Gary is how he basically ignores the thuggish behavior of the comcast UMD fans. The only other coach I think would tolerate it (or encourage it) would be Seth Greenberg, because he's a jerk. Even Huckleberry Hound wouldn't tolerate that from the sheep fans, but I don't see them stooping that low in the first place.

AtlDuke72
03-10-2010, 09:23 AM
[QUOTE=steven52682;375474]I don't know how you can look at the numbers from ACC play and contest the choice? GV was simply better on offense, and Jon's Defense wasn't so superior as to give him a leg up.

The award is for player of the year, not best offensive numbers of the year. Defense should be an important part of the decision and I don't agree with you that Greivous' numbers outweigh the difference on defense. Both had great years, and I am definitely biased, but I would have voted for Scheyer.

Neals384
03-10-2010, 09:31 AM

Link is broken.

duke4life32182
03-10-2010, 09:35 AM
No surprise here. Jon has to share the scoring a little more than GV. GV is relied on to do the bulk. Where as Jon shares it with two other guys. (dont think I have to mention their names.) Nonetheless, two good seasons by two seniors.

severnapark
03-10-2010, 10:35 AM
i dont really understand all the complaining. scheyer shot like 37% from in the field in acc play. thats not "being penalized for having such a great start". his numbers dont quite stack up to gv's in conference play, which is clearly weighed more than the nonconference in voters eyes. gv probably had a lead before last week's game but scheyer still had a chance to change that on national tv in a huge game that determined who would win (or share) the acc regular season. gv had a better game, made the plays at the end, won the game, and led a preseason unranked md team to a share of the regular season title.

as for coach of the year, i agree that it probably should have been a toss up. a lot is determined by preseason rankings. duke was top 6 or 7 in the polls and md was unranked. still doesn't change the fact that k did a great job this year, per usual.

flyingdutchdevil
03-10-2010, 12:33 PM
While Vasquez is certainly a force to be reckoned with, when he is playing well, Jon Scheyer has talent and class. Same goes for the entire Duke team. When we played at Maryland one could hear choruses of Maryland F-bombs shouted at both individual Duke players and the team. Then the Maryland kids had problems with the police after the game. And those fan held giant pinwheels on free throws! Should those be allowed? Duke fans certainly scream, shout and taunt, but in recent years I have not seen or heard anything that I felt crossed the line, like I do see when we play Maryland. Duke pride for having both talent and class.

While I agree with you that Jon has more class, I don't disagree with the talent. GV is amazingly talented, and his development from freshman to senior year is stunning (not to mention he wasn't highly rated in high school, unlike Jon).

On top of that, I don't think you can correctly associate a player with the team's fans. Just because a bunch of UMD fans like to riot after an ACC win doesn't shed any negative light on GV.

just_wondering
03-10-2010, 02:38 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/terrapins-insider/2010/03/they_couldnt_believe_he_was_ac.html#more

allenmurray
03-10-2010, 03:40 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/terrapins-insider/2010/03/they_couldnt_believe_he_was_ac.html#more

Nice story. I went to Hollywood Elementary, many, many years ago. It is about 3 miles from campus.

dukestheheat
03-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Dang. It wasn't nearly as close a vote as I thought it'd be. I do like Vasquez, however. Jon's team is going to do much better in the Big Dance, so Greivis will probably have a good, comfy chair that he can SIT IN and watch DUKE.

dth.

dukestheheat
03-10-2010, 06:31 PM

....thing to me is that SGS (Sweat Gary Sweat) still turns and berates his bench players and coaches for the greivances (haha) of his players on the playing floor. This is just comic if you think about it. The poor 6th man, getting pumped for re-entry at the next time out, has to endure that drivel. I fully expect those guys to bust out laughing when SGS goes off, but I've never seen them do that.

dth.

jim2010
03-10-2010, 10:10 PM

After seeing pizza face Vasquez show boating at mid court during the Duke game it is quite
obvious that character and dignity were not a prerequisite of his award. Hope we meet again in the ACC tourney.

DevilHorns
03-10-2010, 11:34 PM
After seeing pizza face Vasquez show boating at mid court during the Duke game it is quite
obvious that character and dignity were not a prerequisite of his award. Hope we meet again in the ACC tourney.

This is a little unfair. Its senior night. They won the huge game. This was gigantic for them. MD has been irrelevant for maybe 5 years now. Who cares if he was pumped up and feeding the crowd?

Do you remember Jon Scheyer, up 30 pts against UNC, smiling hugely on the sidelines and waving his arms up and down to the crowd? Did you think that was poor form?

Take off the dark blue glasses.

just_wondering
03-11-2010, 06:46 AM
Nice story. I went to Hollywood Elementary, many, many years ago. It is about 3 miles from campus.

There is a building boom from CP to Hollywood that is defying the recession. Those days I use the College Park subway I get that you go home again feeling

merry
03-11-2010, 07:33 AM
....thing to me is that SGS (Sweat Gary Sweat) still turns and berates his bench players and coaches for the greivances (haha) of his players on the playing floor. This is just comic if you think about it. The poor 6th man, getting pumped for re-entry at the next time out, has to endure that drivel. I fully expect those guys to bust out laughing when SGS goes off, but I've never seen them do that.

dth.

A couple weeks ago I saw a funny interview with Vasquez where they asked him about that and he said when it happens he laughs to himself and tunes him out. That seems like a much wiser reaction than laughing out loud :eek:

Troublemaker
03-11-2010, 09:40 AM

Well, he's pretty notorious for being a "clean" recruiter and he's very good at taking lower-ranked talents and developing them into upper-division ACC squads. Over the years, he's also become friends with Coach K; there's a lot of mutual respect there. Overall, I see some positives with Gary, but I agree with you that his disregard for controlling the behavior at Comcast is a negative.

just_wondering
03-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Well, he's pretty notorious for being a "clean" recruiter and he's very good at taking lower-ranked talents and developing them into upper-division ACC squads. Over the years, he's also become friends with Coach K; there's a lot of mutual respect there. Overall, I see some positives with Gary, but I agree with you that his disregard for controlling the behavior at Comcast is a negative.

The dominant fan behavior at the ComCast Center these past two years is apathy. The Terps lost both the William and Mary and Morgan State games in front of distracted lethargic crowds. If Coach Williams could in any way shape crowd behavior it would be in his self interest to do so.

Duke Mom
03-12-2010, 02:36 PM
While I agree with you that Jon has more class, I don't disagree with the talent. GV is amazingly talented, and his development from freshman to senior year is stunning (not to mention he wasn't highly rated in high school, unlike Jon).

On top of that, I don't think you can correctly associate a player with the team's fans. Just because a bunch of UMD fans like to riot after an ACC win doesn't shed any negative light on GV.

I agree with you about Vasquez; however, as you can see by several of these responses, extremely negative fan behavior does seem to effect the way others may feel about the team those fans represent. Not to take anything away from deserving individual players, but the behavior of some Boston or NY fans certainly has an impact on how others feel about the Red Sox or the Yankees. So yes, give it to Vasquez, but UMD fans make it hard to feel good about their team.

DevilDad
03-13-2010, 09:59 AM
I agree with you about Vasquez; however, as you can see by several of these responses, extremely negative fan behavior does seem to effect the way others may feel about the team those fans represent. Not to take anything away from deserving individual players, but the behavior of some Boston or NY fans certainly has an impact on how others feel about the Red Sox or the Yankees. So yes, give it to Vasquez, but UMD fans make it hard to feel good about their team.

Seems MDs not quite the same team without their student body raining "F" Bombs on the opposition.....of course Greensboro is a long way from Comcast;)

Devilsfan
03-13-2010, 10:09 AM
It was a pleasure to personally see him lose the ball and grab a shirt securing his team's loss.