PDA

View Full Version : What's happened to Chris Duhon

georg004
03-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Anyone know what's happened to Chris? He's had about 5 straight DNP-coach's decision.

Is this a result of the McGrady trade, or is Chris in the doghouse? Is Chris toast in NY?????

hc5duke
03-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Anyone know what's happened to Chris? He's had about 5 straight DNP-coach's decision.

Is this a result of the McGrady trade, or is Chris in the doghouse? Is Chris toast in NY?????

my guess is with mcgrady on the team, there's not enough balls to go around... not that i'm a bitter rockets fan or anything :rolleyes:

I think he's missed the last 8 games (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3855/gamelog;_ylt=Aov1wNaXe9LICyTlyZbifgYOPaB4) BTW

JBDuke
03-09-2010, 12:23 AM

The big 3-team, 9-player trade that brought McGrady to New York also brought PG Sergio Rodriguez from Sacramento. He's been getting Chris's starts. The Knicks aren't playing for this year, anyway, and Chris is a known quantity. I suspect they want to see if Rodriguez is their PG of the future.

Richard Berg
03-09-2010, 12:26 AM
Do they at least tell him in advance when his services aren't needed, so he can enjoy a night on the town?

(not that I'd complain either way, for the $$ he's making!)

OZZIE4DUKE
03-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Do they at least tell him in advance when his services aren't needed, so he can enjoy a night on the town?

(not that I'd complain either way, for the $$ he's making!)
Chris isn't there to enjoy "a night on the town", and certainly not with his history. He's there to play basketball.

Starter
03-09-2010, 12:54 AM
To be perfectly honest, I'm a Knicks fan and Duhon hasn't really played well for a long time. Not to bag on him -- I'm about as big a Duhon fan as you'll find, I even have his Knicks jersey -- but he shot like 30% and averaged 5 ppg in January, and it was getting worse last month. He was honestly playing really terrific ball for a while last year, but they didn't really get him a backup and he was playing 40 mpg (like 12 mpg more than he ever had) and he fell off a cliff, and he never really got it back this year. On the bright side, I think he'll definitely find a spot somewhere next year at least as a backup point guard. I still think Chris is an NBA player.

NYC Duke Fan
03-09-2010, 04:56 AM
To be perfectly honest, I'm a Knicks fan and Duhon hasn't really played well for a long time. Not to bag on him -- I'm about as big a Duhon fan as you'll find, I even have his Knicks jersey -- but he shot like 30% and averaged 5 ppg in January, and it was getting worse last month. He was honestly playing really terrific ball for a while last year, but they didn't really get him a backup and he was playing 40 mpg (like 12 mpg more than he ever had) and he fell off a cliff, and he never really got it back this year. On the bright side, I think he'll definitely find a spot somewhere next year at least as a backup point guard. I still think Chris is an NBA player.

You are absolutely correct. Duhon is just not a starting PG in the NBA. He is and would be fine as a back up PG, playing 15-20 minutes a game.

He was quite good with the pick and roll with David Lee, but his shooting this year has been atrocious.

You are correct in that there will be a spot for Chris in the NBA as a backup.

I think that D'Antoni as a courtesy to Coach K gave Chris the opportunity to see if he could indeed be a starting PG for The Knicks, but the experiment failed.

Cisco
03-09-2010, 06:04 AM
Chris Duhon played well last year. He averages what, 6 or 7 assists per game? He just somehow found a way to get into a shooting slump for a WHOLE year this year. sadly. :(

SupaDave
03-09-2010, 07:29 AM
You are absolutely correct. Duhon is just not a starting PG in the NBA. He is and would be fine as a back up PG, playing 15-20 minutes a game.

He was quite good with the pick and roll with David Lee, but his shooting this year has been atrocious.

I think that D'Antoni as a courtesy to Coach K gave Chris the opportunity to see if he could indeed be a starting PG for The Knicks, but the experiment failed.

I wouldn't call it an experiment. There's a lot of money at stake here. Duhon was great last year but the Knicks have a talent problem (or perhaps you didn't see Lebron reverse dunk all over them). This team is looking at next year.

superdave
03-09-2010, 09:05 AM
I recall reading a few weeks ago that D'Antoni said he was shutting Duhon down for the season - basically removing him from the regular 8/9 man rotation. It was for lack of performance although that was not specifically stated.

Is Duhon's contract up?

Lennies
03-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Duhon's contract expires after this season, that's part of the Knicks' maneuvering in the Lebron sweepstakes.

DukeDevilDeb
03-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Chris isn't there to enjoy "a night on the town", and certainly not with his history. He's there to play basketball.

I love you and your posts; they make this board a better place. But in college--and afterward--nights on the town have been a consistent cause of trouble for Chris. Some say he spent more hours at George's Garage than at Cameron. And one of the big worries when he went to New York (at least for those of us who loved him) was that he wouldn't be able to manage or control his social impulses.

Don't you remember that, when Chris was with the Bulls, he got dinged for being in a You-Tube video with "exotic dancers"? By the end of the film, Chris' shirt was off, and the implications were... well, you can probably guess as well as I! :D

Chris was a great player for Duke in 2004. I'm not sure how he summoned the intestinal fortitude and personal commitment to Duke Basketball that year, but he did. Who could forget his going full force into a TV camera stanchion and badly bruised his ribs in the ACC Tournament final? We lost that game and broke a string of five consecutive tournament wins. That banner in Cameron is conspicuous in its absence.

But to say that nightlife isn't part of Chris' life is like saying he doesn't need oxygen. That's how he's made.

flyingdutchdevil
03-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Duhon was great last year but the Knicks have a talent problem (or perhaps you didn't see Lebron reverse dunk all over them). This team is looking at next year.

"Great" is a little of an exaggeration. "Good" would be suitable. And it isn't only that the Knicks have a talent problem - Duhon is part of that problem! Duhon is a good player who plays really good defense and can dish pretty effectively. That said, he is still a backup PG. He was given a two year contract for a few reasons, including a) see if he could run a team effectively under D'Antoni b) was recommended highly by Coach K (and this has been documented. K and D'Antoni talked about Duhon during the Olympics) and c) NY needed a PG and the market was pretty low at the time (at least players who would accept a 2-year contract).

When Duhon focuses, like his first couple years in Chicago, he is great. When is off partying / missing practice / getting overplayed (like in NY), his effectiveness is severely diminished.

Duhon was easily my favorite player my freshman year (03-04), but when I take off my Duke blue glasses, he is an average PG (maybe even a little below average) who can't shoot.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-09-2010, 10:08 AM

I love you and your posts; they make this board a better place. But in college--and afterward--nights on the town have been a consistent cause of trouble for Chris. Some say he spent more hours at George's Garage than at Cameron. And one of the big worries when he went to New York (at least for those of us who loved him) was that he wouldn't be able to manage or control his social impulses.

Don't you remember that, when Chris was with the Bulls, he got dinged for being in a You-Tube video with "exotic dancers"? By the end of the film, Chris' shirt was off, and the implications were... well, you can probably guess as well as I! :D

Chris was a great player for Duke in 2004. I'm not sure how he summoned the intestinal fortitude and personal commitment to Duke Basketball that year, but he did. Who could forget his going full force into a TV camera stanchion and badly bruised his ribs in the ACC Tournament final? We lost that game and broke a string of five consecutive tournament wins. That banner in Cameron is conspicuous in its absence.

But to say that nightlife isn't part of Chris' life is like saying he doesn't need oxygen. That's how he's made.
Deb, that's exactly my point, hoping he would fore go the night life for his professional life. I'm a big fan of Du Du Du Duhon!

YourLandlord
03-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Who could forget his going full force into a TV camera stanchion and badly bruised his ribs in the ACC Tournament final? We lost that game and broke a string of five consecutive tournament wins.
Not me, certainly.

I continue to view that play as a foolish dive with nearly zero chance of success that led to severe consequences -- including losing to UConn in the Final Four.

Is it important to play hard all the time? Yes. Is it important not to go jumping out of play for every single ball? Also yes. In the UNC game, a ball was bouncing towards press row and Scheyer visibly halted a potential jump for it -- he realized it just wasn't worth it. It was a smart play.

A healthier Duhon playing without all that bandaging would have potentially led to a larger lead and we could have held them off at the end. That, and Luol not allowing Okafor to simply rip the ball out of his arms after a key late rebound.

Ugh, I'm never going to get over that collapse. FML.

David
03-09-2010, 10:41 AM

I agree with your first three points, but as to your final point, I am fairly certain D'Antoni doesn't make coaching decisions based on his relationship with Coach K! Chris was the Knicks best option at the time.

allenmurray
03-09-2010, 10:44 AM
I continue to view that play as a foolish dive with nearly zero chance of success that led to severe consequences -- including losing to UConn in the Final Four.

Is it important to play hard all the time? Yes. Is it important not to go jumping out of play for every single ball? Also yes. In the UNC game, a ball was bouncing towards press row and Scheyer visibly halted a potential jump for it -- he realized it just wasn't worth it. It was a smart play.

He had a fraction of a second to decide whether to go after the ball or to let it go. A fraction of a second. So actually, there was not time to reason and weigh the risk - instead he had to go with the habits and instincts developed over his playing career. What were those habits and instincts? To go hard all the time. Did it work out well in that circumstance? No. But the same style of polay he had developed over his career that made him such a success was what he used then. It is a hard thing to have both ways.

Comparing it to Scheyer's decision in the UNC game isn't really a fair comparison , IMHO. They play very different styles of basketball.

jipops
03-09-2010, 11:33 AM
The Knicks are looking to give Toney Douglas more pt at this point in the season to develop since playoff hopes have essentially vanished. He figures much more into their future plans than does Duhon. The move actually makes a lot of sense.

Pernell
03-09-2010, 12:08 PM

I would disagree.

D'Antoni gave Chris significant minutes and when the media and fans were questioning(in newspapers and on talk radio) why Chris was still starting--as opposed to Nate Robinson-- D'Antoni definitely had his back. I would agree with the previous poster that the accumulation of minutes probably affected Chris's offensive production.
Because he did have a short stretch where he was shooting pretty well.

I think he could definitely be a backup somewhere but he has to work on his shot. He's definitely has a decent stroke but I think part of his difficulties are mental rather than physical

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-09-2010, 02:36 PM
I watched a Bulls-Wizards game the other week (there was NOTHING else on, trust me) and was looking for Duhon. I found a Daily News article that declared Duhon's job in NY as basically finished. I hope Chris catches on with another team. There should be plenty of teams out there in need of solid PG play from the bench.

The Chris Duhon era is over.

Mike D'Antoni installed newly acquired Sergio Rodriguez as the Knicks' new starting point guard effective immediately. And there is no guarantee that Duhon, D'Antoni's hand-picked successor to Stephon Marbury, will see much action for the remainder of the season.

"There doesn't seem to be a pop there right now," D'Antoni said Monday of Duhon.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2010/02/22/2010-02-22_new_york_knicks_bench_chris_duhon_in_favor_of_s ergio_rodriguez_at_point_guard.html#ixzz0hi3xmwi9

BD80
03-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Not me, certainly.

Is it important to play hard all the time? Yes. Is it important not to go jumping out of play for every single ball? Also yes. In the UNC game, a ball was bouncing towards press row and Scheyer visibly halted a potential jump for it -- he realized it just wasn't worth it. It was a smart play. ...

Two issues: one, Jon has an exceptional awareness of spacial relations as multiple objects are moving around him. He probably can judge better than most players whether he would get to a ball with a dive.

Two, it easier to judge where a Volvo going 35 mph will land than where a Ferrari going 235 mph will land.

Turtleboy
03-09-2010, 06:10 PM
I continue to view that play as a foolish dive with nearly zero chance of success that led to severe consequences -- including losing to UConn in the Final Four. My sentiments exactly. I was at that game, and when it became clear that he was injured I turned to my companion and said "There goes the National Championship."

In my recollection he had plenty of time to stop that dive, and not one chance in a million of making the save.

DUBlue
03-09-2010, 06:20 PM
I think that Duhon's willingness to dive for that ball wasn't why we lost in the Final Four, but instead why we made it there.

If you watch Duke at all you will consistently see players diving into the stands, over benches, out of bounce, etc. That is the way the players are taught in practice every day.

That fact that Chris was willing to lay his body on the line was why he was the leader of that team and one of the reasons we had a terrific year in 2004.

We lost that game because our bigs got in foul trouble and Redick and Loul hid from the ball in the final 4 minutes.

Turtleboy
03-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Duhon was playing the best basketball of his career by far in the games leading up to the tourney. He was essentially unstoppable driving the lane from the top of the key.

After the injury, he was mediocre at best. Not his fault; it was obvious he was in a lot of pain, but he just didn't have that extra gear we needed.