PDA

View Full Version : What kind of unc would you rather see year after year?

CameronBornAndBred
03-08-2010, 07:25 PM
If you had the choice of what kind of game you could watch, how would you like to see us be victorious over the holes? (A loss is not an option in this poll).
Would you rather have a total blowout every time out, or every game a close game, or a mix?

CameronBornAndBred
03-08-2010, 07:30 PM
I stated my case in the "Piling on Roy" thread..but to reiterate, I enjoy the barn burners between two highly ranked teams more than the games when the outcome is known in the first half.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-08-2010, 07:36 PM
I stated my case in the "Piling on Roy" thread..but to reiterate, I enjoy the barn burners between two highly ranked teams more than the games when the outcome is known in the first half.
Nothin could be finer than beaten the snot out of carolina in the mooor-oorning. Or afternoon or night. Saturday night was a 38 minute celebration, from the second the score was 12-3, until the final buzzer sounded! It was wonderful! :cool: Most fun I've had at a game in years. Probably since we led vs. Michigan 34-2 (or whatever the score was :D).

cbfx3
03-08-2010, 07:39 PM
I'll be honest... UNC sucking isnt as fun as I thought it would be. Their fans dont expect to win so they dont trash talk before the games. It is more fun when they woof alot before the games and then have to eat their words. I really enjoy beating them when we are the underdog. Games like this last one are fun every so often but really if it were like that year after year it would hurt the rivalry.

CDu
03-08-2010, 07:44 PM
As I posted in the other thread, I REALLY hate losing to UNC. Blowouts means there's minimal threat of losing. Close games mean we lose some. I'll take the blowouts.

SCMatt33
03-08-2010, 07:48 PM
I'll be honest... UNC sucking isnt as fun as I thought it would be. Their fans dont expect to win so they dont trash talk before the games. It is more fun when they woof alot before the games and then have to eat their words. I really enjoy beating them when we are the underdog. Games like this last one are fun every so often but really if it were like that year after year it would hurt the rivalry.

The poll says nothing of how good UNC is, though it is likely implied. I want us to kick their I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. by 30 whether both when they're in the top ten and when they stink. I actually only voted for the "mostly blowout" option because if we blow them out every time, the rivalry loses attention. I want there to be a classic Duke win added to the mix every so often.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-08-2010, 07:50 PM
I have a good friend who happens to be a carolina fan. He called this afternoon saying he'd be in town tomorrow and was wondering if we could play golf in the afternoon, but under only one condition -- we couldn't talk about the tar heels. He then told me the Dean Smith broke his leg falling of the Dean Dome taking his name down joke.

SCMatt33
03-08-2010, 07:53 PM
I have a good friend who happens to be a carolina fan. He called this afternoon saying he'd be in town tomorrow and was wondering if we could play golf in the afternoon, but under only one condition -- we couldn't talk about the tar heels. He then told me the Dean Smith broke his leg falling of the Dean Dome taking his name down joke.

If that was the exact condition, you should agree and then just talk about Duke's play during the game on Saturday, being careful not to mention the holes.:D

Duvall
03-08-2010, 07:59 PM
If you want a picture of the ideal future, imagine a boot stamping on a Tar Heel face - forever.

UNC just finished celebrating 100 seasons of basketball success. Let's revisit this question after they've suffered through another 99 seasons of failure just like the one we have just enjoyed.

CameronBornAndBred
03-08-2010, 08:01 PM
If you want a picture of the ideal future, imagine a boot stamping on a Tar Heel face - forever.

UNC just finished celebrating 100 seasons of basketball success. Let's revisit this question after they've suffered through another 99 seasons of failure just like the one we have just enjoyed.
I'm pretty sure I won't be around then.:rolleyes:

RainingThrees
03-08-2010, 08:04 PM
If UNC was bad every year there would be no fun in beating them. They would be replaced by another team and the rivalry would disappear. Look what happened with Duke and Maryland in the early 2000's except that would be every year.

JG Nothing
03-08-2010, 08:10 PM
If UNC was bad every year there would be no fun in beating them.

Speak for yourself. ;) I would love the opportunity to find out.

sweetchiba51
03-08-2010, 08:17 PM
This is a rediculous question. 9f 9f 9f 9f

shoutingncu
03-08-2010, 08:19 PM
If that was the exact condition, you should agree and then just talk about Duke's play during the game on Saturday, being careful not to mention the holes.:D

Well, Duke was the only team playing Saturday.

Close wins seem to be more meaningful. Blowouts are probably more fun. Count me as one who thinks mostly close games with the occasional blowout would be pretty satisfying as a fan.

Matches
03-08-2010, 08:24 PM
I would never - ever - ever get tired of beating the snot out of them.

SupaDave
03-08-2010, 08:28 PM
My ideal situation would be for us to be #2 and them #1 and we crush them everytime to take the #1 ranking...

Indoor66
03-08-2010, 08:31 PM
My ideal situation would be for us to be #2 and them #1 and we crush them everytime to take the #1 ranking...

No. I would like us to be #1 and them #2 and us beat the snot out of them, every time!

SupaDave
03-08-2010, 08:57 PM
No. I would like us to be #1 and them #2 and us beat the snot out of them, every time!

Yes, I'll take that and it's their second loss of the week and they drop out of the top 5.

moonpie23
03-08-2010, 09:08 PM
I'll be honest... UNC sucking isnt as fun as I thought it would be. Their fans dont expect to win so they dont trash talk before the games. .

what freaking solar system do you live in????? Just read IC the day of the game or listen to hubert davis on TV..

if you don't have holes talking smack before EVERY SINGLE GAME, just PM me and i'll give a whole gaggle of em your emal and phone numbers...

weezie
03-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Beat them like the day is long.
Beat them like it's your job.
Beat them down into the ground, extend your hand to help them up and then beat them with a big stick.

Merlindevildog91
03-08-2010, 09:17 PM
so they are still talking smack. I actually heard a "well, we're still national champs!" today at work. If I were czarina of the universe, the Crazies would be chanting "Double Digits!" and "Pal-in-drome" at UNC in the second half of every game.

I want to move to cbfx3's planet, if Moonpie23 is getting up an expedition.

First post, but a longtime reader. Really enjoy keeping up with those of like mind.

Duvall
03-08-2010, 09:24 PM
I honestly don't understand how any right-thinking Duke fan (or Jason Evans, for that matter) could possibly get tired of beating UNC while we are still trailing in the all-time series.

I wonder if this has to do with the basic asymmetry of the rivalry. As a general rule Duke fans tend to resent UNC basketball, or UNC athletics in general, while UNC fans tend to resent Duke University.

RelativeWays
03-08-2010, 09:47 PM
I enjoy the close games more, but the occasional blowout is nice. For me, the golden age of the rivalry was the late 80's early 90's. Both teams were pretty evenly matched, with a slight edge to Duke during that time. However, most games were almost always decided on momentum with the victor winning by 15 points or more. Maybe I should rethink my choice.

I should also add that I'd far rather beat a good UNC team. You want to know the reason why some fans on both sides want the teams to be equally competitive? This year is why. Beating the holes by 32 is fun after how they owned us the last 4 years, if we beat them by 20+ every game, who would care? I think the best years were the ones we beat them 2-1, 92 and 01 specifically. Those were decent teams, but Duke destroyed them in the ACC championship. Fun! Beating a 5-14 team or whatever...meh

DevilHorns
03-08-2010, 09:50 PM
I enjoy the close games more, but the occasional blowout is nice. For me, the golden age of the rivalry was the late 80's early 90's. Both teams were pretty evenly matched, with a slight edge to Duke during that time. However, most games were almost always decided on momentum with the victor winning by 15 points or more. Maybe I should rethink my choice.

I should also add that I'd far rather beat a good UNC team. You want to know the reason why some fans on both sides want the teams to be equally competitive? This year is why. Beating the holes by 32 is fun after how they owned us the last 4 years, if we beat them by 20+ every game, who would care? I think the best years were the ones we beat them 2-1, 92 and 01 specifically. Those were decent teams, but Duke destroyed them in the ACC championship. Fun! Beating a 5-14 team or whatever...meh

After UNC taking 2 championships in the past 5 years, I dont mind blowing them out for the next 5 years at all. Then we could go back to the close games.

Obviously my thoughts on this completely change if our team somehow clicks at the ultimate level and reaches the promised land.

devildeac
03-08-2010, 11:21 PM
I'll take a 20-30+ beatdown of the 'holes 2-3 times a year until the day I die. Then, I hope it happens for another generation or two.:D They don't have to be good for Duke to be a top 5 team every year. Their t-shirts, hats, bumper stickers, fans and sports writers/TV personalities can all get relegated to the bottom drawers of dressers or "in other news" stories until the end of days as far as I am concerned.

Troublemaker
03-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Easy answer for anyone who's ever lived in North Carolina.

georg004
03-09-2010, 12:18 AM
I'll take a 20-30+ beatdown of the 'holes 2-3 times a year until the day I die. Then, I hope it happens for another generation or two.:D They don't have to be good for Duke to be a top 5 team every year. Their t-shirts, hats, bumper stickers, fans and sports writers/TV personalities can all get relegated to the bottom drawers of dressers or "in other news" stories until the end of days as far as I am concerned.

I've been around for awhile. Didn't undergrad at Duke but taught there for a good while. Some of you have been my students, and have succeeded in spite of it.

Since paycheck said "Duke", I became a passionate fan (what else can you do for entertainment in a Durham winter?)

Then, as now, my view is that Carolina was the Evil Empire and Duke was All That is Good and Right With the World. Duke's purpose was and is to defeat a strong and dangerous foe.

When the Evil Empire is weak, what fun is it to hand them a whuppin'?

IMO, none. I want Carolina to be strong, competitive, dangerous, good -- and consistently, year-in and year-out, to be the second-best team in the ACC.

I frankly did not enjoy our 82-50 win all that much. I was embarrassed for them, and look forward to next year when hopefully this disaster will pass for them. It's better for them, it's better for Duke, and it's better for the ACC.

(Disclaimer: I married a Tarheel, but only because no Duke woman would have me.)

moonpie23
03-09-2010, 12:32 AM
beat them like a rented donkey
beat them like a red-headed step child
beat them like a tied up goat
beat them like_________________

Richard Berg
03-09-2010, 12:49 AM
I want Carolina to be strong, competitive, dangerous, good -- and consistently, year-in and year-out, to be the second-best team in the ACC.
Me too -- but why not have your cake and eat it too? I want every matchup with the Heels to be a #1 vs #2 matchup of undefeated titans. And then I want to blow them completely out of the gym with the whole country watching. Kind of like JJ did to UT-Austin in the Meadowlands, or the women's team did to Maryland that spring (only to lose to the Evil Lattas in another #1 vs #2 battle the following week).

Sure, we can have an occasional close game. It wouldn't be the same rivalry without Capel's shot, Duhon's coast-to-coast, or that famous play where JJ denies McCants the pass and leaves Felton totally confused, unable to get a shot off.

But you can't have every game go down to the wire. [leave that for Duke vs Kentucky] Crazy Towel Guy's heart might explode! Please folks, think of CTG! Meanwhile, the rest of us can enjoy a senseless, merciless beatdown of epic proportions. That 1921 record for margin of victory needs to go!

BDevilU
03-09-2010, 08:08 AM
Carolina mired in mediocrity, coupled with regular humiliating defeats at the hands of the Devils, would be bliss. I want them to get their unrealistic hopes up. I want them on the verge of success. I want them to be the perennial Bubble boys... only to be handed a season-crushing loss from the Devils EVERY season. THAT would be my definition of basketball heaven... coupled with a Duke championship, of course.

-------------

"What is best in life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."

CameronBlue
03-09-2010, 09:01 AM
I want to Duke to beat them so soundly for so long they drop to Division II. I want the mummified head of Roy Williams put on a stick and sold off to one of those bizarre Florida roadside attractions where it's displayed beside the tarantula exhibit.

hurleyfor3
03-09-2010, 09:23 AM

I think I've said this before here, but I'd be thrilled if over the next 100 years unc basketball and the Chicago Cubs swapped the success they have experienced over the previous 100.

sweetchiba51
03-09-2010, 09:31 AM

Hit the nail on the head my friend!

airowe
03-09-2010, 09:59 AM
I want them to be bad enough for articles like this to be written about them every year:

http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/03/09/article/north_carolinaaposs_fall_from_grace

elvis14
03-09-2010, 10:04 AM

Exactly. I've lived in the Triangle since 1991 and it would be OK with me if Carolina never won another game and if Saturday's 32 point blow out was the closest game for the next 20 years. 9F

jdj4duke
03-09-2010, 10:13 AM
I'll be honest... It is more fun when they woof alot before the games and then have to eat their words.

The flaw in the your logic is that they never ever eat their words. I have Duke license plate, and was checking my rear view while pulling out of a parking lot Sunday morning. I saw two guys standing behind me start pointing at my car and then just animatedly talking to each other. I then noticed the Carolina sticker on their car. I rolled down the window of my car, asked them "What's up?" and then proceeded to hear "We beat your a### for the last ten years" and blah blah Hansblahblah.
I reminded them that they may wish to check the actual record over the last 10 years. I got the finger from them and that was that.

So, as the only Duke alum in an extended family with 6 UNC grads, including brother-in-law parents who are lifelong Rams Clubbers with 4 seats in the Dome (including his mother who will not speak to me beyond hello since I "went to that Duke place"), I would be happy for each and every game to be a repeat of Saturday night. It will still not cow the Heel faithful into granting any sort of graceful comment or acknowledgment that Duke might actually be a good team. They will always have a million excuses and will dredge up the old "wait until last/next year".