PDA

View Full Version : Taylor King could miss Big East Tourny

DeBlueDevil
03-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Just read this on Espn. Looks like Taylor King made his way into Jay Wright's dog house somehow. Kinda weird considering this kid was recruited with such high regard. Kinda feel bad for the kid...seems like he can't catch a break. :confused:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4977154

OZZIE4DUKE
03-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Just read this on Espn. Looks like Taylor King made his way into Jay Wright's dog house somehow. Kinda weird considering this kid was recruited with such high regard. Kinda feel bad for the kid...seems like he can't catch a break. :confused:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4977154
this surprised me
King is Villanova's second-leading rebounder. Seems like Taylor has become more than just a shooter/scorer. I wish him the best and hope his personal problems get resolved quickly and favorably.

Kdogg
03-08-2010, 05:41 PM
this surprised me Seems like Taylor has become more than just a shooter/scorer. I wish him the best and hope his personal problems get resolved quickly and favorably.

A good chuck of his time is at the 4 and at times 5. I was wondering why he did not play this weekend after logging 20 + minutes midweek.

weezie
03-08-2010, 05:49 PM
I sometimes forget that these are still very young men, sometimes making dopey decisions or just zoning out at the strangest moments.

Anybody who has raised a teenaged/early 20s man in the house, can I get a witness?

The mental discipline it takes to get through a season at an elite hoops school is truly impressive.

-bdbd
03-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Actually PLAYING DEFENSE is often good for warding off trips to the dog house. TK is known to be a great scorer, and decent rebounder, but he can cost his teams even more points by lack of effort/attention on D. That certainly cost him at Duke, and I've seen it at 'nova too.

Lennies
03-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Taylor's defense *and* shooting have been subpar for a while. His shot selection has been truly horrendous.

cbnaylor
03-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Maybe I read this wrong, but I believe it's due to him not being happy with his playing time once again. By him not getting the numbers that he feels is owned to him, he's starting to become a problem in the locker room!

camion
03-09-2010, 10:40 AM
So, does this mean that for Duke it was addition by subtraction and for Villanova, subtraction by addition? It was oh so clever of K to send TK to VU. He is truly an evil genius. :)

flyingdutchdevil
03-09-2010, 10:53 AM
So, does this mean that for Duke it was addition by subtraction and for Villanova, subtraction by addition? It was oh so clever of K to send TK to VU. He is truly an evil genius. :)

So wrong yet so true...

jipops
03-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Nova has been struggling with their defense lately. I would imagine Taylor's contribution, or lack of thereof, on the defensive end has at least something to do with him sitting. Taylor's struggles on defense seemed to draw the scorn of K on a few occasions while he was in Durham.

UrinalCake
03-09-2010, 11:49 AM
I always liked the guy and was disappointed at the time when he left, but now I'm not at all upset that he's gone. He wouldn't be getting any PT on our team and would be tying up a scholarship. I'm somewhat happy that he's struggling only from the standpoint that it will deflect criticism from Coach K, who might otherwise be slammed for letting one "get away."

greybeard
03-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Nova overachieved wildly in the early season. They are just not that good. Nor are their guards. They are featured and produce, but they fall short of other guard pairs in the Big East. Nova is stuggling now and in my opinion that will continue. The more they struggle, the more coach will lean on the guards. They will not carry the weight.

whereinthehellami
03-09-2010, 01:16 PM
To bad TK can't get it together. He has some unique skills and with alot of time and effort in the gym could become an acceptable defender.

BD80
03-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Nova overachieved wildly in the early season. They are just not that good. Nor are their guards. They are featured and produce, but they fall short of other guard pairs in the Big East. Nova is stuggling now and in my opinion that will continue. The more they struggle, the more coach will lean on the guards. They will not carry the weight.

'Nova's early success was primarily due to scheduling:

In the first half of the conference schedule, they played Marquette twice, DePaul, St. Johns, Rutgers, Seton Hall and at home against Notre Dame and Georgetown. The only really good win in that 9-0 stretch was at Louisville.

The second half of the conference schedule was brutal, including WVU (2), Pitt, uCon, Syracuse, and GTown, and Nova went 4-5.

The thing is, the team isn't improving. They aren't as good as their early record suggested, and they are in a downward spiral. TK's issues certainly won't help.

DukieInBrasil
03-09-2010, 03:25 PM
I was also surprised that he is their 2nd leading rebounder. He's got decent size, but i didn't get the feeling that he was very interested/proficient of a rebounder while at Duke.
As for his troubles, he's a young man and deserves some time to work it out, maybe this benching will get him focused on what is important.

sagegrouse
03-09-2010, 03:54 PM
'Nova's early success was primarily due to scheduling:

In the first half of the conference schedule, they played Marquette twice, DePaul, St. Johns, Rutgers, Seton Hall and at home against Notre Dame and Georgetown. The only really good win in that 9-0 stretch was at Louisville.

The second half of the conference schedule was brutal, including WVU (2), Pitt, uCon, Syracuse, and GTown, and Nova went 4-5.

The thing is, the team isn't improving. They aren't as good as their early record suggested, and they are in a downward spiral. TK's issues certainly won't help.

One of the TV basketball commentators said something that made sense -- at least to me. "Villanova is not a large team and seemed to wear down over the course of the Big East season." Can't remember who it was and whether it was even during a Nova game.

sagegrouse

BD80
03-09-2010, 04:07 PM
One of the TV basketball commentators said something that made sense -- at least to me. "Villanova is not a large team and seemed to wear down over the course of the Big East season." Can't remember who it was and whether it was even during a Nova game.

sagegrouse

I think it WAS a Nova game, but I think it was last year. At the end of the year.

Are you sure they were talking about Nova?

juise
03-09-2010, 04:17 PM
I was reading a Sports Illustrated while waiting for an oil change last weekend. In the college basketball notes section, there was an image of TK with a note that said something like "Taylor King and Villanova will have to shore up their defense if they are going to make a run in March."

I don't take joy in these troubles he is having, but it certainly doesn't break my heart. I think I'm still bitter about his exuberance in Villanova beating Duke last year.

Lennies
03-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Villanova's guards are not the problem. Reynolds, Fisher and Redding are very good, and Stokes, Cheek and Wayn are quality players off the bench. The problem is Villanova's lack of size.

Early in the season, Antonio Pena was playing extremely well and freshman Maurice Sutton was contributing some strong play (despite his physique). Unfortunately, Sutton seems to have faded and doesn't make many appearances any more and Pena's play has dropped off, also. Villanova did get freshman center Yarou back from a six week absense due to hepatitis, but either the preseason reports of his play were exaggerated, or the absense has set him back. They could really use Taylor King as another option to rebound and defend the post. King does rebound effectively, but his defense is at least a step slow and he shoots whenever he gets the ball.

BD80
03-09-2010, 05:11 PM
... They could really use Taylor King as another option to rebound and defend the post. King does rebound effectively, but his defense is at least a step slow and he shoots whenever he gets the ball.

In TK's mind, he is in range once he gets a defensive rebound

SoCalDukeFan
03-09-2010, 07:25 PM
why Duke recruited TK in the first place.

I saw him play on TV in high school. He just did not look like a Duke player. Mater Dei played a zone defense and basically hid him. He shot whenever he felt he could get it off. When he passed it was almost like he was doing a favor to his teammate.

I figured that there had to be something I was missing. He did hustle for rebounds and seemed to have energy. His shot was good.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

SoCal

JohnGalt
03-09-2010, 08:36 PM
why Duke recruited TK in the first place.

Him and OJ Mayo were anointed as the Bees Knees of their recruiting class way back when they were 8th graders. Unfortunately for TK, he stopped growing and slowly declined in the rankings while OJ continued on. Regardless, he never really lost all of the "next best thing" label that got placed on him when he was that young which - IMO - is the reason Duke jjust kept on calling. That is one of the ginormous risks about recruiting and ranking kids when they are so young...

sagegrouse
03-09-2010, 09:56 PM
I think it WAS a Nova game, but I think it was last year. At the end of the year.

Are you sure they were talking about Nova?

No, it was last week, and the topic was Nova. And if you have question about the Elysian Fields of Villanova, PA, please read the thread on Taylor King, the man who has never met a locker room or a coaching staff that he could stand.

sagegrouse
'Gad, if I were granted "endangered species" status, I wouldn't have to put up with such impertinences'

muzikfrk75
03-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Jay Wright was on the '5 Good Minutes' segment of PTI today...and of course they didn't ask him about TK.

DukeGirl4ever
03-11-2010, 02:52 PM
So much for Jay Wright's "big talk" about teaching Taylor a lesson....he's playing today.

noyac
03-11-2010, 03:01 PM
So much for Jay Wright's "big talk" about teaching Taylor a lesson....he's playing today.

I saw and heard Jay Wright be interviewed on like 4 different ESPN owned programs/radio shows yesterday. Is he trying to boost Nova's seed through publicity?

DukeGirl4ever
03-11-2010, 03:09 PM
I saw and heard Jay Wright be interviewed on like 4 different ESPN owned programs/radio shows yesterday. Is he trying to boost Nova's seed through publicity?

Probably because they've hit a rough patch...I hate NOVA and I'm hoping they hit their peak early in the year and therefore won't make it far in the tourney.

noyac
03-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Probably because they've hit a rough patch...I hate NOVA and I'm hoping they hit their peak early in the year and therefore won't make it far in the tourney.

That is what I was alluding to. I hate them too and I have for awhile. Last years NCAA didn't help either.

SoCalDukeFan
03-11-2010, 08:09 PM

do you hate Villanova?

They beat us last year fair and square. Have a very good coach.

Not sure why you hate them. Not like they are UConnvicts or anything.

SoCal

DukeGirl4ever
03-11-2010, 08:46 PM
do you hate Villanova?

They beat us last year fair and square. Have a very good coach.

Not sure why you hate them. Not like they are UConnvicts or anything.

SoCal

If you don't know my reasons for hating a team, don't assume!
My hatred towards NOVA goes back to my own personal recruiting process when I was in HS and how the women's coaching staff wasn't truthful to me.

THAT's why I hate NOVA...it has nothing to do with DUKE although last year's loss fueled the fire. Add in there a few obnoxious co-workers that like them and you've got a team I don't root for!

PaIronDuke
03-12-2010, 01:06 AM
Responding to the hits on Villanova: I've been a Duke fan for 70 years-still live and die with 'em!-but have season tickets to Villanova basketball games because we live 5 miles from the campus. Although I thought they beat us about as badly in the NCAA's as I've ever seen us beaten, their basketball program does things quite well, and Jay Wright is a classy coach. Although he runs a different kind of program from ours, he's pretty much all about character, committment, and doing it the "right way". I get a little weary of hearing about the Palestra and the "Philadelphia basketball way", but when I was at Duke-when dinosaurs roamed the earth-we got most of our basketball (and much of our football) team personnel from Pennsylvania, including some of our all-timers in both sports.