PDA

View Full Version : Becoming an Iron Duke

Kewlswim
03-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Hi,

I have always just given money to the academic side of Duke because I felt that was the purpose of the University--to educate. The LAX fiasco made me start to seriously doubt my desire to give funds while the current President presides (this note is not about him, this is just to let you know how I am getting to where I am). Nevertheless, I continue to give each year to the academic side of the house.

I realize that Duke athletics gives me great joy. Thus, I have decided to consider giving to the Iron Dukes. A part of what has led me there is that if Duke is in the West and if Duke goes to Salt Lake City I would like to get tickets for the family, particularly for my nephew who is considering Duke very seriously and has the grades, SATs, etc. for possible admission. He even refers to Duke as "Uncle Kewlswim's Duke" (though he uses my real name).

I noticed there was a "Ticket Exchange" feature of being an Iron Duke. Furthermore, I don't know if Iron Dukes would travel as readily to Salt Lake City as some other locales. Has anyone ever used the Ticket Exchange? Would it include NCAA tickets or is it only for home tickets? If you need to move this to the "Ticket" area please do, I wasn't sure exactly where to put the post.

GO DUKE!

Mike Corey
03-08-2010, 04:18 PM
(This is not about the Iron Dukes, but if you're looking for another way to support Duke, I would strongly encourage you to consider the Duke Libraries. They can always use more funds, and the work that has been done with Duke Libraries in the past 5 years has been, in a word, sensational (http://library.duke.edu/).)

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Hi,

I have always just given money to the academic side of Duke because I felt that was the purpose of the University--to educate. The LAX fiasco made me start to seriously doubt my desire to give funds while the current President presides (this note is not about him, this is just to let you know how I am getting to where I am). Nevertheless, I continue to give each year to the academic side of the house.

I realize that Duke athletics gives me great joy. Thus, I have decided to consider giving to the Iron Dukes. A part of what has led me there is that if Duke is in the West and if Duke goes to Salt Lake City I would like to get tickets for the family, particularly for my nephew who is considering Duke very seriously and has the grades, SATs, etc. for possible admission. He even refers to Duke as "Uncle Kewlswim's Duke" (though he uses my real name).

I noticed there was a "Ticket Exchange" feature of being an Iron Duke. Furthermore, I don't know if Iron Dukes would travel as readily to Salt Lake City as some other locales. Has anyone ever used the Ticket Exchange? Would it include NCAA tickets or is it only for home tickets? If you need to move this to the "Ticket" area please do, I wasn't sure exactly where to put the post.

GO DUKE!

You may find the information on the Iron Duke web page helpful in knowing what privileges may accompany various levels of giving. http://www.irondukes.net/

mike88
03-08-2010, 04:54 PM
I would strongly encourage you to join Iron Dukes, even if you choose not to make a large donation. I don't think giving at this point in the year, however, will help you secure tickets for the Sweet Sixteen / Elite Eight. If we are placed in the West, chances may be reasonable for tickets becoming available one way or another, depending on the other schools and how well they travel, and how much you are willing to pay.

David
03-08-2010, 05:22 PM
As mike88 notes above, you should join the Iron Dukes, but as a recent data point, Duke alumni in the Boston area were given the opportunity to purchase tickets for the regional games last March. The Iron Dukes must not have bought up the entire Duke allotment of tickets.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Check your In Box. I sent you a PM.