PDA

View Full Version : Is this a defensive principle?

SeattleIrish
03-07-2010, 10:54 PM
I looked for another thread in which this would fit but didn't find one - should someone else see an appropriate thread, I don't mind it moving.

I've watched all but one of the games this year, so I don't think it's been an isolated incident; I've noticed both Plumlees often appear to either be missing players on defensive switches, or playing some sort of middle-post zone while the rest of the team is playing man.

I wrestled, so my hoops knowledge really come from 25+ years of watching Duke - I could certainly be missing some tactic at play. I don't notice either of them getting yelled at or pulled for it, but it APPEARS as if they're frequently lost while on D. They both appear to be either trying to trap or play zone and don't switch over. They're both great athletes, so perhaps it's a freedom they're allowed that our other defenders aren't?

I haven't noticed others commenting on this, so I'm wondering if I'm imagining this, misunderstanding this, or if other's are seeing it as well?
:confused:
s.i.

BD80
03-07-2010, 11:34 PM
I looked for another thread in which this would fit but didn't find one - should someone else see an appropriate thread, I don't mind it moving.

I've watched all but one of the games this year, so I don't think it's been an isolated incident; I've noticed both Plumlees often appear to either be missing players on defensive switches, or playing some sort of middle-post zone while the rest of the team is playing man.

I wrestled, so my hoops knowledge really come from 25+ years of watching Duke - I could certainly be missing some tactic at play. I don't notice either of them getting yelled at or pulled for it, but it APPEARS as if they're frequently lost while on D. They both appear to be either trying to trap or play zone and don't switch over. They're both great athletes, so perhaps it's a freedom they're allowed that our other defenders aren't?

I haven't noticed others commenting on this, so I'm wondering if I'm imagining this, misunderstanding this, or if other's are seeing it as well?
:confused:
s.i.

They are each having trouble with help-side defense. When they are guarding a man who is positioned near the baseline and the ball is on the other side of the court, they SHOULD look like they are playing zone, hedging toward the ball with at least a foot in the paint, ready to stop the ball-handler from getting to the rim. They need to get better at reading the offense and being more decisive in committing to stop penetration by stepping across the lane WITHOUT losing track of the man they are guarding. They also need to communicate better to allow another defender to rotate to cover the post player left open. They also need to vastly improve recovering (and getting back) on defense. The "freedom" you notice is their lack of concentration. I think it is getting much better.

ricks68
03-07-2010, 11:39 PM
I have noticed the same thing. It also appears to me that Miles plays better without Mason---or it could just be my imagination. I am concerned about our front line next year if Kyle does not come back. But then, we could be absolutely devastating if we go small with Dre in his second year and Curry finally getting in there. Add Irving and our new leader, Nolan, and watch out.

Note: I usually get blasted on most of my assessments, so don't think your position is reality at this point. Wait for more comments from "those in the know.":p

ricks