PDA

View Full Version : Amber Henson commits to Duke

DukeBlueNikeShox
03-07-2010, 10:28 PM
I was just informed that Amber Henson verballed to Duke. Is this true?! That would be awesome if so! Obviously, she's smarter than her big brother....

Bluedog
03-07-2010, 10:28 PM
I was just informed that Amber Henson verballed to Duke. Is this true?! That would be awesome if so! Obviously, she's smarter than her big brother....

Yep!

http://hometeam.tampabay.com/recruiting/2010/mar/07/sickles-henson-commits-duke/

Although I don't know how smart she really is...

"But make no mistake, when he [my brother, John] plays Duke, I will definitely be sitting being the Carolina bench in light blue supporting my brother." Gross... ;)

DevilHorns
03-07-2010, 10:31 PM
"Even though going to school with John would be great, I tried to ignore all the pressure to go there because of him and think about where I'd be most comfortable without him," Henson said. "But make no mistake, when he plays Duke, I will definitely be sitting being the Carolina bench in light blue supporting my brother."

This will need to change.

DukeBlueNikeShox
03-07-2010, 10:32 PM
WOW! She's the #4 player in 2011. I wonder how this is going to impact Elizabeth Williams, who is the #1 player in 2011? They are different players. Elizabeth is bigger and 6'3". Amber is....a 6'4" version of her brother.

P gets her first major conference tournament title and a verbal from the #4 junior in the country on the same day!

RainingThrees
03-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Yep!

http://hometeam.tampabay.com/recruiting/2010/mar/07/sickles-henson-commits-duke/

Gross... ;)

Maybe she can give him some table scraps every once in a while. That boy needs some kind of solid food.

InSpades
03-07-2010, 10:40 PM
"Even though going to school with John would be great, I tried to ignore all the pressure to go there because of him and think about where I'd be most comfortable without him," Henson said. "But make no mistake, when he plays Duke, I will definitely be sitting being the Carolina bench in light blue supporting my brother."

Let's hope she never gets to see her brother playing against Duke! If it was up to me he'd go pro after this year...

CameronBlue
03-07-2010, 10:51 PM
"Even though going to school with John would be great, I tried to ignore all the pressure to go there because of him and think about where I'd be most comfortable without him," Henson said. "But make no mistake, when he lays Duke, I will definitely be sitting being the Carolina bench in light blue supporting my brother."

Well there's a precedent for it, Coach P's hubby is a UNC grad.....how icky is that! I think I read someplace that the first time he cooked for her he had a $4 bottle of Muscatel in the fridge and Air Supply on the stereo...good lord.

I trust Coach P has answered questions about her ability to recruit on a national scale. A little bit of hand-wringing over the fact that MSU under McCallie recruited regionally. She has the number #1 recruiting class coming to Derm next year and has sustained the momentum with the addition of Henson. Recruit? yup you could say that.

DukeBlueNikeShox
03-07-2010, 10:53 PM
He went to UNC? I thought he was an econ professor there. If he is a Carolina grad, it doesn't surprise me; after all, he likes to bite airport security officials...

CameronBlue
03-07-2010, 10:56 PM
He went to UNC? I thought he was an econ professor there. If he is a Carolina grad, it doesn't surprise me; after all, he likes to bite airport security officials...

Source: dwhoops.com

BD80
03-07-2010, 11:11 PM
... Coach P's hubby is a UNC grad.....how icky is that! I think I read someplace that the first time he cooked for her he had a $4 bottle of Muscatel in the fridge and Air Supply on the stereo...good lord.

He must have been one of the more sophisticated heels on campus!

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-08-2010, 12:07 AM
I see a very bright future for both Basketball teams.

RockLobster
03-08-2010, 12:14 AM

Can we just rescind her scholarship?

David
03-08-2010, 12:17 AM
Welcome to Amber!

In terms of Duke-UNC siblings, Jeff Capel's brother played b-ball at UNC and Greg Paulus' brother played football there. Are there other examples I am forgetting?

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-08-2010, 07:32 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncw/recruiting/tracker/school?schoolId=150&season=2010&page=briefingroom&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncw %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fschool%3fschoolId%3d150% 26season%3d2010%26page%3dbriefingroom

Cockabeau
03-08-2010, 07:45 AM
wow Coach P is bringing in ridiculous talent

flyingdutchdevil
03-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Amber is....a 6'4" version of her brother.

Does that mean Coach P will have to put her on a reverse diet?

Gargoyle
03-08-2010, 08:35 AM
commits to DUKE!

Thought this deserved it's own thread.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-08-2010, 08:46 AM
commits to DUKE!

Thought this deserved it's own thread.

She's a HS junior. He's a frosh. By the time she's a frosh, if Jon is still in school he'll be a junior, so she may sit behind his bench supporting her brother (and I can understand that, sort of - I'm sure Greg Paulus supported his little brother when he was over there), but I have my doubts. The next year, no way!

Congrats Amber, welcome and good luck on your future Duke career!

roywhite
03-08-2010, 08:53 AM
I suggest we change our identification of the Henson.

It's now Amber Henson, future Duke star, and Amber's brother, who plays at UNC.

MrBisonDevil
03-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Can we just rescind her scholarship?

I think the correct punishment should be left to the Duke WBB upperclassmen. LOL.

BD80
03-08-2010, 09:55 AM
I suggest we change our identification of the Henson.

It's now Amber Henson, future Duke star, and Amber's brother, who plays at UNC.

Hear Hear!

Here?

Where?

Wear?

No that's a different set of siblings infected with carolina blue.

Oh, Zeller?

No, that sibling set is half Irish blood.

Hansbrough?

No, that sibling set had one brother that is tough and plays guard and another sissy brother at carolina with happy feet.

Paulus?

No, that was a Duke player who would doing anything for the program and a bright future in coaching with a brother at carolina that nobody remembers.

Capel?

No, he coached siblings, one good enough to be the first pick in the draft.

Oh, Coach K! He also recruited the McDonald's AA out of Memphis?

No, that player was named Leslie McDonald, but wasn't a McDonald, and plays for carolina.

How did we get to the women's team?

No, Leslie plays for the men's team.

What?

He plays for the men's team too.

Why?

Who knows?

Gargoyle
03-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Here is HoopGurlz evaluation prior to her junior season:

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncw/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=65989&season=2011&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncw %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d659 89%26season%3d2011

Orange&BlackSheep
03-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Think about Henson sitting behind the Duke bench supporting his sister!

Class of '94
03-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Yep!

Gross... ;)

Does this mean that when the Duke women play Carolina, John will be in the Duke section with Duke blue supporting his sister? I seriously doubt it and when Amber sees that, I think she'll change her tune. By all means, she should support her brother, but being in the Carolina section rooting against Duke??? Please........She can support her brother and hope he does well against us while cheering for Duke to win.

brlftz
03-08-2010, 10:23 AM
in addition to her obvious talent, i like the fact that she comes from a family that seems to instill character. her brother looks like a really good kid - he's shown a lot of heart, despite not getting a lot of time on the floor early on, and despite the fact that the rest of the team gave up early.

jimsumner
03-08-2010, 10:54 AM
There are plenty of other Duke-UNC sibling rivalries. Remember Wes and Earl Chesson? John Swofford's brother went to Duke. Bill Bunting's father went to Duke. Chris and Caleb Norkus.

Others.

McCallie needs and expects to sign two posts in the class of 2011. Elizabeth Williams is very much still a target and Duke likes where they are with Williams.

Keep in mind that Ali Vernerey will be a junior when Henson and maybe Williams arrive and by that point she may well be one of the best posts in the country.

-bdbd
03-08-2010, 11:15 AM
The Women's BB team is looking incredibly good for the next several years. The 2010 HS class is loaded for Duke, easily #1, and we obviously have a strong foot up on the 2011 class. This has all the markings of a perpetual top-10 team over the next 4 years, and potentially even better!

Go Duke Women's Basketball!!! Go Coach P!!

moonpie23
03-08-2010, 12:28 PM
not to worry......her frosh year will reveal who is the true dark side and as painful for her brother as it will be, she will be a dukie...

and we know what that means...

B-well
03-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Hope not -

Kewlswim
03-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Hi,

I'm not sure the corollary is correct here, but what usually happens is that the woman at Stanford loves Stanford so much she decides that rooting for her brother (or other sibling) at Cal is too icky to do and after a year or so she decides her loyalty is completely to the Cardinal.

Soooooo Seeing as Duke much like Stanford (better weather on the Farm though) I have no doubt that a year or so into being a Devil she will conveniently root for her brother from a distance and maybe even wear Duke colors while doing it. Nothing wrong with rooting for her brother to do well as long as Carolina loses.

GO DUKE!

camion
03-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Is this going to be much of an issue? What are the odds that brother John is still at UNC when Amber arrives on campus.

Dukeface88
03-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Now let's not be hasty. My experience has been that incoming UNC supporters tend to change their views during their freshman year. We'll see how she feels after a few months on campus.

burnspbesq
03-08-2010, 08:21 PM
I think the correct punishment should be left to the Duke WBB upperclassmen. LOL.

She won't have any difficulty putting on weight. She'll be eating her own shot in practice on a regular basis. It is absolutely scary how good Ali V is going to be once she gets stronger.

Indoor66
03-08-2010, 08:28 PM
She won't have any difficulty putting on weight. She'll be eating her own shot in practice on a regular basis. It is absolutely scary how good Ali V is going to be once she gets stronger.

I agree with you on this. IMO, Ali V has the tools to become the best woman player ever at Duke!

Kedsy
03-08-2010, 08:36 PM
I agree with you on this. IMO, Ali V has the tools to become the best woman player ever at Duke!

Better than Alana? That would surprise me.

Devilsfan
03-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Thank goodness the Henson's had one intelligent offspring.

Class of '94
03-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Better than Alana? That would surprise me.

I don't think so. Ali V is showing promise but Alana was a star right out the gate and I don't see Ali V making a big enough jump to supplant Alana, who IMO, as Duke's best female player. Ali V still has the potential to be a very good to possibly great player for Duke.

BD80
03-10-2010, 08:32 AM
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/1007/recruit_john_amber_henson_580.jpg

I thought John might make a pretty girl ;)

It looks like Amber is stronger than her brother, albeit two years younger.

miramar
03-10-2010, 09:07 AM
I think she should sit behind the Carolina bench cheering on her brother: "It's all right, John, don't feel bad that you guys are losing by 30 again." I'm sure that John is going to need a lot of family support to get through his time in Carolina, and it's commendable that she would be there for him in his time of need.

johnb
03-10-2010, 11:41 AM
I hadn't followed her recruitment, but I had noticed that her brother was the one player at Carolina who I wish we'd gotten; while he is a member of the dark side, he seems like a good guy--plus, he was the only Carolina player at the game who seemed to really focus...

Class of '94
03-10-2010, 06:25 PM
I hadn't followed her recruitment, but I had noticed that her brother was the one player at Carolina who I wish we'd gotten; while he is a member of the dark side, he seems like a good guy--plus, he was the only Carolina player at the game who seemed to really focus...

He may have shown a decent effort in the game and he may even be a nice guy.......But he still ticked me off last summer when he was telling John Wall to go anywhere but Duke. Again, I respect Amber for wanting to support her brother; but I am glad that John is not a Duke player, and I neither wished nor desired him to be so.

Gargoyle
03-16-2010, 04:08 PM
on John and Amber Henson:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/womens/news/story?id=4997959

Kedsy
03-16-2010, 04:13 PM
on John and Amber Henson:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/womens/news/story?id=4997959

According to the article she made multiple visits to Texas. Meaning Coach P just outrecruited Coach G.

Nice.