PDA

View Full Version : Copying a DVD, legally

JStuart
03-07-2010, 07:47 PM
So, I recorded on DVD yesterday's GameDay, the game, and WRAL's postgame coverage. I've finalized the disc, but I can't find a way to make copies for a friend or two, or my daughter off at college.
I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium, but don't have anything specially designed for DVD copying/burning other than Windows DVD Maker, and it doesn't seem to have a 'copy' or 'duplicate' command.
Best, inexpensive ideas, anyone?
Thanks in advance
JStuart

BD80
03-07-2010, 07:55 PM
So, I recorded on DVD yesterday's GameDay, the game, and WRAL's postgame coverage. I've finalized the disc, but I can't find a way to make copies for a friend or two, or my daughter off at college.
I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium, but don't have anything specially designed for DVD copying/burning other than Windows DVD Maker, and it doesn't seem to have a 'copy' or 'duplicate' command.
Best, inexpensive ideas, anyone?
Thanks in advance
JStuart

You left legally behind when you recorded any of the broadcast. Your only argument is personal use (time shifting, like on a DVR), which means no more copies.

moonpie23
03-11-2010, 10:12 PM
you are not allowed to make "unauthorized duplications" of the broadcast. for monetary gain or otherwise.

YourLandlord
03-11-2010, 11:00 PM
You're also not allowed to drive over 65 mph on most interstates.

Kimist
03-12-2010, 11:44 AM
....and don't forget to report all that sales tax you did not pay on those internet purchases. :rolleyes:

k

alteran
03-17-2010, 02:27 PM
I've used ImgBurn a couple times and it has a good rep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ImgBurn

Here's a small listing on Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_portable_software#CD.2FDVD_burning

I've also used DeepBurner. I haven't explictly done disc-to-disc with either of these, but would be surprised if these wouldn't do it.

Good luck.

JStuart
03-21-2010, 09:31 AM
I've used ImgBurn a couple times and it has a good rep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ImgBurn

Here's a small listing on Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_portable_software#CD.2FDVD_burning

I've also used DeepBurner. I haven't explictly done disc-to-disc with either of these, but would be surprised if these wouldn't do it.

Good luck.
Well, IF I were to have made copies, I MOST LIKELY would have used Roxio's Easy CD & DVD Burning software, and it PROBABLY would have produced useable copies. "But it would have been wrong..." (R. Nixon, Duke Law, '38)

moonpie23
03-21-2010, 03:29 PM
You're also not allowed to drive over 65 mph on most interstates.

that's right.....and there's an entire industry based on speeders and catchers.

speeding is not theft......what does speeding have to do with theft of copyrighted material? are you saying that speeding makes it ok

either you're a thief, or you're not a thief....if you copy and distribute copyrighted material, you're taking something that doesn't belong to you..

Acymetric
03-23-2010, 11:40 AM
that's right.....and there's an entire industry based on speeders and catchers.

speeding is not theft......what does speeding have to do with theft of copyrighted material? are you saying that speeding makes it ok

either you're a thief, or you're not a thief....if you copy and distribute copyrighted material, you're taking something that doesn't belong to you..

Legally true, but ethically I would say its a little more of an awfully light gray area when talking about copying televised broadcast. Its not as though that game is commercially available anywhere else. There isn't really any avenue to rewatch a game except on the whims of ESPN Classic. If networks were making any effort to profit off of the sale of individual games after they had been played you would be entirely right. But even if I was willing to pay a hundred dollars to Fox Sports to get a dvd of the game I still can't do it. Even though legally you're right, the only damages done to the networks by doing stuff like this is imaginary.

Now, taping a game with the intent of only watching the copy (so you can skip commercials) is a different ballgame, but I'm pretty sure that isn't whats going on here, and that (along with doing the same thing with DVR) actually DOES hurt their pocketbooks.

allenmurray
03-23-2010, 11:50 AM

Legally true, but ethically I would say its a little more of an awfully light gray area when talking about copying televised broadcast. Its not as though that game is commercially available anywhere else. There isn't really any avenue to rewatch a game except on the whims of ESPN Classic. If networks were making any effort to profit off of the sale of individual games after they had been played you would be entirely right. But even if I was willing to pay a hundred dollars to Fox Sports to get a dvd of the game I still can't do it. Even though legally you're right, the only damages done to the networks by doing stuff like this is imaginary.

You both make good points.

Movies and television shows have a commercial retail market after their original showing. Recording them does deprive someone of revenue they might otherwise have earned if you hadn't violated the law.

But I've virtually never seen a sports broadcast sold later as a dvd. If I record one it is hard to imagine that I am actually infringing on anyone's potential to profit as there is no market I am infringing on. I do understand that it may be illegal, but I can't figure out in this case (unlike moveis, tv shows, or music) who is being harmed.