PDA

View Full Version : Shabazz Muhammad to UCLA

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

G man
03-07-2010, 04:31 PM
I think it is time for a thread on Shabazz. Ranked over all #3 and number SF in 2012 by ESPN. #7 over all on scouts and the #3 SF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yHWvBvvcFI&translated=1

Some video not real good, but its all I could find!

JohnGalt
03-07-2010, 05:03 PM
I think it's a hard thing to really evaluate these kids before they get well into their junior and even senior years. Sophomore year seems to be when a lot of these guys really hit a growth spurt and begin to mature rapidly. Some benefit, some don't.

Muhammad, Tokoto, Jefferson, and Anderson are all right about the same size right now, sitting at the 6-5, 185 range, more or less. Any one of them could end up at 6-10 while the others stay put.

I'd be interested to see these guy's games broken down though because they are all listed as SFs. It looks like K is trying a different approach here after losing Prince Harry and recruiting everybody, rather than zoning in on 1 or 2 in particular. Here's to someone who hopes it works...

AlaskanAssassin
11-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Here is an update on Shabazz:

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/hsh-diary/2010/11/shabazz-muhammad-diary-package-deals-and-christmas-lists/#more-2988

chrisheery
11-11-2010, 04:01 PM
The general sense I get from following recruiting analysts is that Shabazz is the number one SG/SF in the class and a top 3 player by almost all of their estimations. Many feel he is the best player in the class.

It might be a long road with him. I am glad we were in early, but I just can't get too excited about him because I feel we have a low chance of landing him.

gam7
11-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Here is an update on Shabazz:

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/hsh-diary/2010/11/shabazz-muhammad-diary-package-deals-and-christmas-lists/#more-2988

Interesting that he does not list UNC as one of the places at which he and Purvis have discussed playing together. May be an accidental omission. They would be a ridiculous backcourt tandem.

Kedsy
11-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Interesting that he does not list UNC as one of the places at which he and Purvis have discussed playing together. May be an accidental omission. They would be a ridiculous backcourt tandem.

Is UNC recruiting Purvis? I suppose everyone is to some extent, but if they're not all that serious about it maybe that would explain why Shabazz didn't list UNC as a place where they might play together? I have no idea, but it was just a thought.

SeattleIrish
11-11-2010, 04:38 PM
I can't tell you if ROY is recruiting him hard, but I can tell you IC is hot after him.

Which really doesn't tell you anything, I suppose...

s.i.

Huh?
11-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Is UNC recruiting Purvis? I suppose everyone is to some extent, but if they're not all that serious about it maybe that would explain why Shabazz didn't list UNC as a place where they might play together? I have no idea, but it was just a thought.

I know LJ Rose is a top priority for them in that class and has been for some time so they may not have been on Purvis as hard as most.

CameronBornAndBred
11-11-2010, 04:58 PM
The list on Rivals say they have offered him, along with every other pertinent program in the country.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Shabazz-Muhammad-91532#college_choices

dcar1985
11-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Heres a video of both Shabazz and Purvis doing work, talented kids http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9VvCvYKE ...BTW according to Purvis UNC has started to recruit him heavily, dont know much about Shabazz' recruitment at the moment, dude is super long.....Purvis actually just tweeted about 10 mins ago that he now has Baylor on his list thanks to Q Miller.

Lord Ash
11-11-2010, 05:36 PM
As far as I know from reading interviews and "scuttlebutt" from recruiting sites both players are being recruited by UNC, with Shabazz being considered a pretty viable target for the Heels to land.

Bluedog
11-11-2010, 05:38 PM

The list on Rivals say they have offered him, along with every other pertinent program in the country.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Shabazz-Muhammad-91532#college_choices

You linked to Shabazz's page. UNC has definitely offered Shabazz. Kedsy was talking about Purvis though. Shabazz definitely has UNC on his personal list, but didn't mention UNC as one of the schools Purvis and him could play together (as of right now). But, from the above posts, sounds like UNC has started to get in the Purvis game...just probably haven't officially offered yet.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Rodney-Purvis-105796
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=2&cid=1000307&nid=4572689&fhn=1&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fscouthoops.scout.com%2fa .z%3fs%3d75%26p%3d9%26c%3d2%26cid%3d1000307%26nid% 3d4572689%26fhn%3d1

Those show no offers from UNC for Purvis yet.

Greg_Newton
11-11-2010, 05:49 PM
As far as I know from reading interviews and "scuttlebutt" from recruiting sites both players are being recruited by UNC, with Shabazz being considered a pretty viable target for the Heels to land.

Someone around here I trust, I forget who - I think airowe? - mentioned a few days ago that UNC had recently stepped up its recruitment of Purvis.

It was pretty exciting that (not-too?)Shabby mentioned Duke and not UNC as one of the potential "package deal" schools, especially given the above and that Shabazz has been considered a UNC lean. I think I'm going to force myself to remain disconnected from this recruitment though, for the sake of my health. We've seen too many times how uselessly stressful it can be to hang on a kid's every word!

gam7
11-11-2010, 05:50 PM
You linked to Shabazz's page. UNC has definitely offered Shabazz. Kedsy was talking about Purvis though. Shabazz definitely has UNC on his personal list, but didn't mention UNC as one of the schools Purvis and him could play together (as of right now). But, from the above posts, sounds like UNC has started to get in the Purvis game...just probably haven't officially offered yet.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Rodney-Purvis-105796
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=2&cid=1000307&nid=4572689&fhn=1&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fscouthoops.scout.com%2fa .z%3fs%3d75%26p%3d9%26c%3d2%26cid%3d1000307%26nid% 3d4572689%26fhn%3d1

Purvis's reclassification to the Class of 2012 messed up the timing on his offers a bit, but a scholarship offer from Carolina will be forthcoming. (Even if they hadn't planned on offering Purvis, they will now after reading that journal entry from Shabazz.)

Bluedog
11-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Purvis's reclassification to the Class of 2012 messed up the timing on his offers a bit, but a scholarship offer from Carolina will be forthcoming. (Even if they hadn't planned on offering Purvis, they will now after reading that journal entry from Shabazz.)

Oh, I don't doubt that. ;)

http://twitter.com/JayJayESPNDime

Shabazz Muhammad told me the systems he and Purvis fit into best... I'll let him tell you about it in his diary. Should be out tomorrow. half a minute ago via Twitter for Android

Is that different than what he just did?

Shabazz:
We talk about schools like Memphis, Duke, Kentucky, Texas and UNLV. So we’re definitely looking at that option very seriously.

Maybe Jason Jordan got his days confused or didn't already see that his diary entry came out today....Unless there's additional info.

Tim1515
11-11-2010, 05:56 PM
I said this on another page but i don't think these good if these kids really want to play together. If the year was 2013 maybe but there are too many names on the table IMO for them both to come to Duke...

Curry, Dawkins, Thornton, Cook, Gbinije. There's a chance Roy "passed" on Cook for this reason.

CameronBornAndBred
11-11-2010, 05:57 PM
You linked to Shabazz's page. UNC has definitely offered Shabazz. Kedsy was talking about Purvis though.
I get illiterate around 5 o'clock. Thanks for the correct links. Does it mean anything when they list coaches recruiting for some players (like Wojo for Shabazz) and then leave us empty on others (like Purvis)? I see State is double teaming Purvis.

Bluedog
11-11-2010, 06:23 PM
I get illiterate around 5 o'clock. Thanks for the correct links. Does it mean anything when they list coaches recruiting for some players (like Wojo for Shabazz) and then leave us empty on others (like Purvis)? I see State is double teaming Purvis.

No problem. When it's empty, I think it simply means that the recruiting service (scout, rivals, etc.) just isn't sure which coach is the main point of contact...or one hasn't been firmly established yet. But others might know more than me.

oldnavy
11-11-2010, 06:35 PM
I said this on another page but i don't think these good if these kids really want to play together. If the year was 2013 maybe but there are too many names on the table IMO for them both to come to Duke...

Curry, Dawkins, Thornton, Cook, Gbinije. There's a chance Roy "passed" on Cook for this reason.

??? I think Cook passed on Roy would be more accurate. I think you may be giving ol Roy a little too much credit here.

gam7
11-11-2010, 07:05 PM

There are a lot of variables at play that may change the way these guys would view the projected depth chart at Duke. First, I don't know whether Purvis or Shabazz consider themselves to be one-and-done. Second, even if they consider themselves to be one-and-done now, it's not clear what the next NBA collective bargaining agreement will do to the one-and-done system. This obviously is a huge X factor that hopefully will be decided before these guys have to decide. If they can't go to the NBA for two years after high school, for example, then they may view the depth chart differently. Third, it's not entirely clear what positions these guys will play in college. Purvis is listed as a shooting guard, but seems to be more of a combo guard - I'm not sure what he sees himself as long-term. Shabazz seems to be a 2/3 - not sure what he wants to be long-term. Fourth, another issue is that our number 1 priority for that class (as confirmed by airowe a while ago if I recall correctly) is Murphy. If Shabazz really sees himself as a 3, I'd think Murphy would be a bigger concern for him than Gbinije.

I think the early entry rules will be a major factor here. If they are in college for more than a year, they'll both be less concerned about Curry and Dawkins who will be seniors in 2012-13. Shabazz won't be concerned about Thornton and Cook (pure PGs) regardless. Also, Purvis would be the only real combo guard after Curry is gone.

Bottom line - there are a lot of variables here.

airowe
11-11-2010, 07:58 PM
[/B]

??? I think Cook passed on Roy would be more accurate. I think you may be giving ol Roy a little too much credit here.

Yeah, that's more accurate. Shabazz and Purvis could find room at Duke. Bazz is being recruited as a SF and Purvis a combo guard. With expected departures and not adding any recruits to the 2013 team we'd be looking at a lineup like this:

PG: SO Cook, JR TT
SG: SR Curry
SF: SR Dawkins, SO Gbinije
PF: JR Hairston
C: SR Kelly, SO MP3

There's space for five guys. I'm guessing we'd take four. A combo, a SF (Dawkins could play SG too), a PF, and a big.

I guess it's possible Curry could bounce early too as he'd be a 5th year senior. That would make the need for a combo guard even greater...

gam7
11-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Yeah, that's more accurate. Shabazz and Purvis could find room at Duke. Bazz is being recruited as a SF and Purvis a combo guard. With expected departures and not adding any recruits to the 2013 team we'd be looking at a lineup like this:

PG: SO Cook, JR TT
SG: SR Curry
SF: SR Dawkins, SO Gbinije
PF: JR Hairston
C: SR Kelly, SO MP3

There's space for five guys. I'm guessing we'd take four. A combo, a SF (Dawkins could play SG too), a PF, and a big.

I guess it's possible Curry could bounce early too as he'd be a 5th year senior. That would make the need for a combo guard even greater...

It's going to be fascinating to see how things shake out. There is a ton of overlap in the class of 2012 between Duke-Carolina - Murphy, Shabazz, Purvis, Tokoto, and I suspect we'll overlap with some PF/Cs as it will be an area of need for both programs.

airowe
11-11-2010, 08:53 PM
It's going to be fascinating to see how things shake out. There is a ton of overlap in the class of 2012 between Duke-Carolina - Murphy, Shabazz, Purvis, Tokoto, and I suspect we'll overlap with some PF/Cs as it will be an area of need for both programs.

Oh absolutely. Grant Jerrett, Cameron Ridley, Brandon Ashley, Amile Jefferson, etc. There are only so many elite guys out there and so many elite programs. Thing is, we seem to have some momentum these days while 2 days from now will mark the one year anniversary that UNC got a scholarship level recruit...

AlaskanAssassin
12-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but..

Shabazz New Diary:

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/hsh-diary/2010/12/shabazz-muhammad-diary-kentucky-vs-north-carolina/

Looks like a slight favorite towards the other blue, but I'm sure a different story once he visits.

ajgoodfella7
12-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but..

Shabazz New Diary:

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/hsh-diary/2010/12/shabazz-muhammad-diary-kentucky-vs-north-carolina/

Looks like a slight favorite towards the other blue, but I'm sure a different story once he visits.

The best quote from Shabazz: "They basically said that there’s a lot of freedom in the offense and Coach Williams pointed out how they push the ball. He told me that the last thing he wants to do is set up a play. He just wants to run."

I guess many UNC fans are correct in thinking part of their teams' problem is that their offense becomes stagnant when they are slowed down because they are not prepared in their half-court offense. But I guess that is what many of the top prospects want to hear.

jimrowe0
01-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Bazz has a new diary coming up shortly and list his leaders as ucla, Duke, UK

Here is a clip to pass the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9F9NpZ8ipU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

OldPhiKap
01-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Bazz has a new diary coming up shortly and list his leaders as ucla, Duke, UK

Here is a clip to pass the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9F9NpZ8ipU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Carolina will be hating it if he's dropped them.

Which is okay with me.

I try not to follow recruiting too closely, but those who should be at Dule end up at Duke.

Shabazz, you know who we are and you know what we do. If you are interested, we'd love to have you.

MCFinARL
01-12-2011, 09:01 AM
I try not to follow recruiting too closely, but those who should be at Dule end up at Duke.

And yet, we seem to do okay with those kids who should have gone to Dule....;)

SuperTurkey
01-12-2011, 09:26 AM

Dule Hill played Charlie Young, the West Wing version of Reggie Love. I assumed OPK was just making an oblique reference to Duke that way. :D

OldPhiKap
01-12-2011, 10:25 AM

Sorry, a scrivener's error when translating from the Ancient Sanscrit Scroll. A thousand pardons, please.

MCFinARL
01-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Dule Hill played Charlie Young, the West Wing version of Reggie Love. I assumed OPK was just making an oblique reference to Duke that way. :D

Psych! :D

OldPhiKap
01-12-2011, 01:09 PM

If by "oblique" you mean accidental and unintended, you hit the nail on the head. :)

jimrowe0
01-12-2011, 05:24 PM
New diary

http://bit.ly/i9E0in

loran16
01-12-2011, 05:30 PM
New diary

http://bit.ly/i9E0in

Not that it means anything, but it'd be hard to find a more positive diary for Duke (Lots of pro-Duke talk, we're in his top 3, UNC's not).

Of course, it doesn't mean anything but still.

CharlestonDevil
01-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Of course, it doesn't mean anything but still.

It means that dressing up star recruits in banana suits isn't necessarily a good recruiting tool. Apparently Late Night with Ol'Roy isn't as persuasive as say, any other time with Coach K.

BOOSH! Take that Kerlina!

OldPhiKap
01-12-2011, 08:14 PM
It means that dressing up star recruits in banana suits isn't necessarily a good recruiting tool.

I don't know. Some obviously find it a-peel-ing.

watzone
01-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Austin Rivers will join Shabazz Muhammad for the Duke v. UVA game this weekend. Hola.

weezie
01-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Austin Rivers will join Shabazz Muhammad for the Duke v. UVA game this weekend. Hola.

Austin! Shabazz, let us show you the True Blue Love!

DukieTiger
01-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Psych! :D

Dule... Duke... I've heard it both ways.

SuperTurkey
01-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Dule... Duke... I've heard it both ways.

Shawn, you have not heard it both ways.

jipops
01-13-2011, 12:14 AM

Should be a good time to see Duke play, coming off a loss.

-bdbd
01-13-2011, 01:03 AM

"Sell, Austin , Sell!!! Sell, Austin, sell!!!"

I really like hearing AR will be here to help with the sales pitch. Hearing it from the #1 player in the class before yours really has to make an impact.

Also from the diary link, you have to love all of the Duke attention. Put it this way, while it is nowhere near firm/final, if all I ever saw about the kid was that most recent diary entry, well, I'd obviously expect him to head to Durham in the end.

Also from the diary:
Mike and I talk about Kentucky, too. He’s trying to get me to come there and Austin Rivers is trying to get me to come to Duke. He’s always been recruiting me hard to Duke. Then Quincy Miller is recruiting me to Baylor, too. They’re definitely recruiting me the hardest amongst 2011 guys for sure.
One thing is certain, he won't be hearing anything pro-Kerlina from Quincy Miller either... and anyone can point out that we were also a QM finalist of sorts as well.

Good to get the first Official too. Now, let's put on a good show for him Saturday! (With that name, there HAVE to be some creative cheers coming from the Crazies.)

:cool:

airowe
01-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Good to get the first Official too.

Can't take officials until your senior year.

-bdbd
01-17-2011, 12:16 AM
So???? Any word on how the 'bazz visit went? Didn't see much of him in the TV coverage. Any sightings?

Bluedevil114
01-17-2011, 08:40 PM
The #1 recruit in the 2012 class visits the UVA game and we do not hear anything from our experts on the board. Does anyone have any info they can share as to how he felt about his trip and the atmosphere inside Cameron? Or do we have to wait for his next diary?

On his twitter he posted:

Duke was really fun went to the game then got to chill with @ NdotSmitty great experience !!!!!

FireOgilvie
01-17-2011, 08:42 PM
The #1 recruit in the 2012 class visits the UVA game and we do not hear anything from our experts on the board. Does anyone have any info they can share as to how he felt about his trip and the atmosphere inside Cameron? Or do we have to wait for his next diary?

On his twitter he posted:

Duke was really fun went to the game then got to chill with @ NdotSmitty great experience !!!!!

I think you answered your own question. We almost never hear anything after a visit except "it was fun."

On a Shabazz-related note, did anyone watch him play today? How did he do?

Bluedevil114
01-17-2011, 09:22 PM
I think you answered your own question. We almost never hear anything after a visit except "it was fun."

On a Shabazz-related note, did anyone watch him play today? How did he do?

Shabazz had 28 points today but his team lost.

gumbomoop
02-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Shabazz Muhammad and Bishop Gorman on ESPN 2 right now [well, as soon as StMary's v. Loyola M is over], 10:00 Sat night, 2/5.

juise
02-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Shabazz Muhammad and Bishop Gorman on ESPN 2 right now [well, as soon as StMary's v. Loyola M is over], 10:00 Sat night, 2/5.

The game's also on ESPN3 for those who are intested. Bishop Gorman leads by one at half, but both teams are struggling offensively (score is 19-18).

rotogod00
02-05-2011, 10:57 PM

after starting slow (1 of 5, the one on a dunk), bazz finished with 9 at the half. couple of nice pull-ups. fouled twice on drives into the lane. 3-4 from line.

rotogod00
02-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Bazz exploded for 22 in the 2nd half to help Bishop Gorman pull off the upset. He had 31 for the game....10-22 from the field, 10-11 from the line

burnspbesq
02-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Bazz exploded for 22 in the 2nd half to help Bishop Gorman pull off the upset. He had 31 for the game....10-22 from the field, 10-11 from the line

Watched part of the game, and it's easy to see why Steve Donahue loves Ryan Anderson. He could end up as a bigger version of Jared Dudley. Perfect for BC's system.

rotogod00
02-07-2011, 01:16 PM
ESPN has brief write-up on Shabazz's play over the weekend:

"Muhammad had his full arsenal on display during his 31-point outing against previously-unbeaten Long Beach Poly. The chiseled left-hander is potent in the open court where he attacks the rim with a vengeance. In the half-court set he is very comfortable utilizing a two-dribble pull up where he gets great elevation. Within 15 feet of the basket, he is virtually unstoppable at this level and his competitive nature is contagious. He has a knack for scoring in tight spaces where he just elevates over the defense and his touch is remarkably smooth. His ballhandling (while being pressured) is still shaky and he needs to continue to extend the range on his shot, but we're nitpicking here."

Entire article:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6098228

AlaskanAssassin
04-09-2011, 01:32 AM
Shabazz has a new diary and our Duke recruits (Alex and Rasheed) have been recruiting hard!

http://highschoolhoop.com/hsh-diary/2011/04/shabazz-muhammads-ncaa-brackets-were-messed-up-too

Bluedevil114
04-12-2011, 08:00 PM
If Duke does not get Shabazz then I would not mind him going out West. Our chances probably are not great with all the talent coming through the doors. Shabazz is a kid that is going to want to start from day one. Not that he would not at Duke but he would definitely have to earn it in Durham.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/apr/12/top-recruit-shabazz-muhammad-gorman/

COYS
04-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Shabazz is a kid that is going to want to start from day one. Not that he would not at Duke but he would definitely have to earn it in Durham.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/apr/12/top-recruit-shabazz-muhammad-gorman/

This is not necessarily true. For tobacco road examples, you need not go further back than Marvin Williams and Corey Maggette. Playing time may factor into his decision, and that is understandable, but there are cases of top talents joining loaded teams and becoming 6th men. Both of these examples got a chance to play in the title game, as well, which is quite an experience. Shabazz might relish the opportunity to join a stacked Duke team, even if it means there's a possibility he plays the role of 6th man.

SupaDave
04-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Word on the street is that Coach K is checking out Shabazz today...

airowe
04-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Word on the street is that Coach K is checking out Shabazz today...

I hope not. Recruiting period was over yesterday. Both he and Wojo were in Vegas along with a slew of other coaches then.

MCFinARL
04-21-2011, 03:14 PM
I hope not. Recruiting period was over yesterday. Both he and Wojo were in Vegas along with a slew of other coaches then.

What a difference a day makes.....;)

Indoor66
04-21-2011, 03:33 PM
What a difference a day makes.....;)

Yeah, only 24 little hours....:cool:

oldnavy
04-21-2011, 04:25 PM
I hope we get this kid if for no other reason than I will be able to yell SHAZAM!! and SHABOOM!! all the time without my wife looking at me like I have a third eye in my forehead.

SupaDave
04-21-2011, 08:17 PM

Great catch!! I was a bit off...

darjum
04-22-2011, 07:01 AM
I've seen a few of the recruiting pieces about Shabazz and he does some like an elite talent. How would he be viewed as fitting into Duke's system, I assume that if River's is as one and done as he appears to be, that Shabazz is his immediate offensive replacement? If not, there will be an amazing amount of competition for Shabazz in Duke's wing positions.

Would really like him to come to Duke though, seems like a high volume scorer by all reports.

Still have to admit Tony Parker is the big fish at the minute from my perspective.

kong123
04-23-2011, 05:02 PM
It sounds like UNC now thinks of SM as a "luxury recruit". Having 3 guys that will be at the three spot next year, that isn't hard to figure out. I guess this means they will not focus on him like they have in the past. Looks like they are going to offer Roscoe Allen, Shabazz's high school teammate.

airowe
04-23-2011, 06:01 PM
It sounds like UNC now thinks of SM as a "luxury recruit". Having 3 guys that will be at the three spot next year, that isn't hard to figure out. I guess this means they will not focus on him like they have in the past. Looks like they are going to offer Roscoe Allen, Shabazz's high school teammate.

Shabazz Muhammad is not a luxury recruit. For any school.

kong123
04-23-2011, 06:09 PM
Shabazz Muhammad is not a luxury recruit. For any school.

not my words, they are the words of his father. that is why I put quotes around the term.

airowe
04-23-2011, 06:12 PM
not my words, they are the words of his father. that is why I put quotes around the term.

Having 3 guys that will be at the three spot next year, that isn't hard to figure out.

But, you believe it.

kong123
04-23-2011, 06:17 PM
But, you believe it.

i believe we have bigger needs in the 2012 class than a one and done wing. End of this year we could see all of our bigs either graduate or go to the NBA, so getting 2 or 3 bigs is a higher priority seeing as how we will have PJH, JPT, and RB at the 3.

No need to recruit over two guys that have been in the system for more than a year just to take advantage of a one and done that may not be as productive and as effective as the pair could be.

I am not slighting Shabazz, just being practical.

Duvall
04-23-2011, 07:30 PM
i believe we have bigger needs in the 2012 class than a one and done wing. End of this year we could see all of our bigs either graduate or go to the NBA, so getting 2 or 3 bigs is a higher priority seeing as how we will have PJH, JPT, and RB at the 3.

2 or 3 bigs? I hope Hubert likes the warm California sun.

kong123
04-23-2011, 07:44 PM
2 or 3 bigs? I hope Hubert likes the warm California sun.

wonder how Josh Hairston is feeling right now? :cool:

dukeballboy88
04-23-2011, 09:58 PM
I think I like luxury recruits.

darjum
04-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Wouldn't it be great to develop a pipeline of talented, college ready offense options coming to Duke. If so, Shabazz appears to fit the bill.

gumbomoop
04-24-2011, 09:33 AM

Though marginally naughty in its implication, and inspiration, this is a relevant issue, broadly defined. By this I mean that I can't be the only one sort of amazed at the number of good players on board for next season, and beyond. I doubt that Duke has very often had the full complement of 13 recruited scholarship players on the roster, and that seems a realistic possibility for 2011-'12 and beyond.

The good news is that this development has provided a rather upbeat tone re Duke in '11-'12 to many posts lately, especially considering the news concerning the return to UNC of their excellent threesome, not to mention the arrival of McAdoo and PJH, the former, at least, sure to be a valuable contributor - a "force," I'd predict - right away. Thus, although there's surely a consensus that UNC starts next season as ACC #1, and national #1-2, there may also be an emerging consensus that Duke will be more than fine for the foreseeable future. I had Duke as preseason national #7-8-ish - and I'd guess at least a few posters thought that foolishly optimistic - but the intriguing Murphy-Daniels scenarios, plus the news out of Texas, moves the Devils close to top 5. [UNC, UK, tOSU, yep; after that, well, UL, 'Cuse, Duke, 'Zona, Fla, UConn, Vandy - pick 'em, right?]

The less-certain news - "bad" as kong somewhat devilishly implies - is, "Wow, which of the guys we love loses PT?" Hence all the commentary re possible redshirts. As to Josh specifically, well, he appears to be #4 among the bigs; and by kong's jab at K - for that's what it is, a snippy suggestion re "recruiting over" - depending on unknowns re Murphy and DeAndre Daniels, Josh might [or not] fall a bit further. But, contrary to kong's implication, we think Josh is delighted to be at Duke, was promised neither a starting slot nor loads of PT, and is willing to compete. He's likely to play a lot more in his junior-senior seasons than next, but who knows.

darjum
04-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Though marginally naughty in its implication, and inspiration, this is a relevant issue, broadly defined. By this I mean that I can't be the only one sort of amazed at the number of good players on board for next season, and beyond. I doubt that Duke has very often had the full complement of 13 recruited scholarship players on the roster, and that seems a realistic possibility for 2011-'12 and beyond.

The less-certain news - "bad" as kong somewhat devilishly implies - is, "Wow, which of the guys we love loses PT?" Hence all the commentary re possible redshirts. As to Josh specifically, well, he appears to be #4 among the bigs; and by kong's jab at K - for that's what it is, a snippy suggestion re "recruiting over" - depending on unknowns re Murphy and DeAndre Daniels, Josh might [or not] fall a bit further. But, contrary to kong's implication, we think Josh is delighted to be at Duke, was promised neither a starting slot nor loads of PT, and is willing to compete. He's likely to play a lot more in his junior-senior seasons than next, but who knows.

It is amazing that a player such as Quinn Cook turned down a probable starting position at UCLA in order to come to Duke; at the time unsure of Kyrie's draft status and no guarantee of a starting position even if Kyrie left. The reality of being a recruit committing to a program that is having a purple patch in recruiting means PT is earned, not a given.

Much in the same way that the player titling this thread would be welcomed with open arms at Duke despite already having obvious depth at his position for the foreseeable future. If you are fortunate enough to have quality depth in your college basketball team enjoy it, change your style of play to suit your new strength, because it will not last forever. It did not seem long ago that I was reading DBR and many people were lamenting B.Wright, P.Patterson, G.Monroe, K.Boyton etc. Enjoy the success and hope like crazy that it all ends in number 5 for Coach K.

kong123
04-24-2011, 10:28 AM

The good news is that this development has provided a rather upbeat tone re Duke in '11-'12 to many posts lately, especially considering the news concerning the return to UNC of their excellent threesome, not to mention the arrival of McAdoo and PJH, the former, at least, sure to be a valuable contributor - a "force," I'd predict - right away. Thus, although there's surely a consensus that UNC starts next season as ACC #1, and national #1-2, there may also be an emerging consensus that Duke will be more than fine for the foreseeable future. I had Duke as preseason national #7-8-ish - and I'd guess at least a few posters thought that foolishly optimistic - but the intriguing Murphy-Daniels scenarios, plus the news out of Texas, moves the Devils close to top 5. [UNC, UK, tOSU, yep; after that, well, UL, 'Cuse, Duke, 'Zona, Fla, UConn, Vandy - pick 'em, right?]

well, of course, my jab was an oh so polite response to Duval innocent little jab about recruiting 2 to 3 big's and how that "over-recruits" Hubert. I also doubt that Hubert was promised PT or even a starting spot, so... we are on par there.

The difference is, Roy consistently plays 10 guys in his rotation while K usually plays only 7 or 8. I understand that K is capable of great change and will adapt his strategy to the assets he has available to him; however, if he has a limited rotation- there is the possibility of players being unhappy. I also understand that K is the captain of the ship and that he can and will handle all personalities involved and ultimately, the players will do what is best for the team. A UNC fan will say the same for Roy and his player, while the rival fan will disagree. The facts are, UNC and Duke will be loaded at the 3 spot over the next couple of years and unfortunately there will be a few young men that will not be able to get as much PT as they feel like they deserve.

While red shirting maybe an option, players at this level may opt to transfer. Not saying that is only the case for Duke, but also UNC.

airowe
04-24-2011, 10:32 AM
well, of course, my jab was an oh so polite response to Duval innocent little jab about recruiting 2 to 3 big's and how that "over-recruits" Hubert.

I believe Duvall was commenting on the fact that you completely left Hubert out of any future roster projecting.

kong123
04-24-2011, 10:36 AM
I believe Duvall was commenting on the fact that you completely left Hubert out of any future roster projecting.

No, Hubert isn't a 3, he is a 4. So, I didn't leave him off of any projection. Now, if Henson, Zeller, and McAdoo leave after a big season, then recruiting 2 or 3 big guys is in order, wouldn't you agree?

It seems that a lot of people are making poor assumptions when reading my posts. :cool:

gumbomoop
04-24-2011, 12:24 PM
The difference is, Roy consistently plays 10 guys in his rotation while K usually plays only 7 or 8.

I'm sure this issue will be revisited frequently over the next 11 months, but it's worth some preliminary thoughts now.

It might be argued that K and Roy have opposite problems with their respective deep rosters.

Roy - Yes, he has consistently played 10, but his '10-'11 team came alive only when circumstances [beyond his control, I guess, not sure] forced him to cut back to 8 at most, and really 7. Presumably he'll revert in '11-'12 to his preference, but it's not a certainty that the Heels will be better playing 10 [or more] than they'd be playing their most consistent 8.

K - Yes, he does seem to prefer to play 8, but for the upcoming season, the top 8 [or even 9-10] don't seem obvious. So it's reasonable to assume - absent any redshirts - that we'll see some fascinating experimentation going on in the first 13-14 games [OOC]. Further, what happens if K himself concludes that he's got about 10 guys who can all contribute, but no absolute stars. What's he do?

In short, will Devils and Heels be at their best, respectively, in '11-'12 playing what the coaches, respectively and oppositely, have preferred historically?

devildeac
04-24-2011, 02:24 PM

I dunno. Wonder how McDonald, Bullock and Strickland are feeling...;)

Devilsfan
04-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Those three (they're good imo) obviously are not strong enough to hold down the heels push the ball at all costs offense so ol'roy needed to recruit over them.

El_Diablo
04-24-2011, 03:00 PM
No, Hubert isn't a 3, he is a 4. So, I didn't leave him off of any projection. Now, if Henson, Zeller, and McAdoo leave after a big season, then recruiting 2 or 3 big guys is in order, wouldn't you agree?

It seems that a lot of people are making poor assumptions when reading my posts. :cool:

Well, let's look at what you actually said:

"End of this year we could see all of our bigs either graduate or go to the NBA, so getting 2 or 3 bigs is a higher priority seeing as how we will have PJH, JPT, and RB at the 3."

So yeah, you did leave him out, unless the meaning of "all" has changed, or you don't consider Hubert to be a "big." But since you recognize that Hubert is a 4, I don't think that is the case. Perhaps you think he will graduate in one year or go to the NBA, but that seems pretty far-fetched. Maybe you could explain how the bolded sentence doesn't leave out Hubert...I'd be interested to hear it. Anyway, I don't see a problem with reading comprehension here...just a poster who forgot a player on his own roster and then forgot to read what he actually posted before calling someone else out for commenting on it. :cool:

That said, I agree that UNC would be smart to prioritize a big over another wing. But we all know that when Duke starts recruiting a player, Ol' Roy's ego just won't let him not go for it as well. :)

AluminumDuke
04-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Well, let's look at what you actually said:

"End of this year we could see all of our bigs either graduate or go to the NBA, so getting 2 or 3 bigs is a higher priority seeing as how we will have PJH, JPT, and RB at the 3."

So yeah, you did leave him out, unless the meaning of "all" has changed, or you don't consider Hubert to be a "big." But since you recognize that Hubert is a 4, I don't think that is the case. Perhaps you think he will graduate in one year or go to the NBA, but that seems pretty far-fetched. Maybe you could explain how the bolded sentence doesn't leave out Hubert...I'd be interested to hear it. Anyway, I don't see a problem with reading comprehension here...just a poster who forgot a player on his own roster and then forgot to read what he actually posted before calling someone else out for commenting on it.

I'm willing to give Kong the benefit of the doubt on this one. I read his original post as pertaining to their current bigs, and thus also read the prior criticisms as being directed at his not listing Hubert along with PJH, JPT, and RB. While I can now, with the benefit of bold print, see that the criticism was for overlooking Hubert when stating that "all" of their bigs could either graduate or go to the NBA, I don't think this is worthy of this much discussion.

kong123
04-24-2011, 06:51 PM
I'm willing to give Kong the benefit of the doubt on this one. I read his original post as pertaining to their current bigs, and thus also read the prior criticisms as being directed at his not listing Hubert along with PJH, JPT, and RB. While I can now, with the benefit of bold print, see that the criticism was for overlooking Hubert when stating that "all" of their bigs could either graduate or go to the NBA, I don't think this is worthy of this much discussion.

Sorry for leaving Hubert out of my original comment. I didn't mean to slight him in any way. It was an honest mistake.

AAA1980
04-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Coach K has done a good enough job recently of recruiting really good players but guys who will have to develop for a few years that every year we can go for that one and done guy to try to put us over the top without it crippling us if he leaves after as year..

darjum
04-25-2011, 12:41 AM
Coach K has done a good enough job recently of recruiting really good players but guys who will have to develop for a few years that every year we can go for that one and done guy to try to put us over the top without it crippling us if he leaves after as year..

Exactly, and that's why people shouldn't get bent out of shape when they do leave after one year. If Shabazz comes in and just replaces River's perceived offensive ability I'd be thrilled. Any elite talent must still earn their playing time, but if they earn it, they must play IMO.

dbd4ever
04-27-2011, 08:01 AM
According to a site www.rushthecourt.net, UNC has rescinded their scholarship offer to Shabazz Muhammed and he is supposedly set to announce soon that he will be attending somewhere else.

From the site:

"UNC Rescinds Shabazz Muhammad Scholarship Offer. In a surprising move, North Carolina head coach Roy Williams pulled the scholarship offer from junior small forward Shabazz Muhammad (#5) this week while at the same time offering his teammate, small forward Rosco Allen (#27). It has seemed as though Carolina was losing steam with Muhammad ever since he didn’t attend the North Carolina vs. Duke game at Chapel Hill (although a reason to why he missed it was never confirmed), and the rumor going around now is that he is close to making a commitment elsewhere. The other schools that he would be presumably choose between are Duke, Kentucky, Texas and UCLA. Muhammad is an impact player who will start from day one no matter the program he goes to since he is such a prolific scorer on the offensive end and is so athletic and versatile. He is a better scorer inside the arc than anyone else in the class of 2012 but needs to work on consistently rebounding and improving his ball-handling to become a complete player."

Here's the link to the rest of the article:

http://rushthecourt.net/2011/04/26/whos-got-next-updating-the-class-of-2011-rankings/#more-37236

CharlestonDevil
04-27-2011, 08:13 AM
According to a site www.rushthecourt.net, UNC has rescinded their scholarship offer to Shabazz Muhammed and he is supposedly set to announce soon that he will be attending somewhere else.

From the site:

"UNC Rescinds Shabazz Muhammad Scholarship Offer. In a surprising move, North Carolina head coach Roy Williams pulled the scholarship offer from junior small forward Shabazz Muhammad (#5) this week while at the same time offering his teammate, small forward Rosco Allen (#27). It has seemed as though Carolina was losing steam with Muhammad ever since he didn’t attend the North Carolina vs. Duke game at Chapel Hill (although a reason to why he missed it was never confirmed), and the rumor going around now is that he is close to making a commitment elsewhere. The other schools that he would be presumably choose between are Duke, Kentucky, Texas and UCLA. Muhammad is an impact player who will start from day one no matter the program he goes to since he is such a prolific scorer on the offensive end and is so athletic and versatile. He is a better scorer inside the arc than anyone else in the class of 2012 but needs to work on consistently rebounding and improving his ball-handling to become a complete player."

http://rushthecourt.net/2011/04/26/whos-got-next-updating-the-class-of-2011-rankings/#more-37236

This cannot be anything but GREAT news. Toss in Robocop already being on campus and things could really be shaping up in the Bazz recruitment.

darjum
04-27-2011, 08:15 AM

From the site:

Thanks, if true a very interesting development. By all accounts Shabazz has the talent to be a high lottery pick when he decides, therefore it will be very interesting to see what happens in the new NBA CBA. Depending on what happens with the CBA, Shabazz may not even come to his chosen school if they drop the age requirements, or he may be a real asset for a team for multiple years (I have a feeling the one and done rule is over in the new CBA-they drop the requirement altogether or 2 years minimum for college).

Either way I thought UNC was really high on him and assumed it was just a matter of time...maybe Roy knows something we don't know...if it is Duke, wow!

MCFinARL
04-27-2011, 08:57 AM

From the site:

Well, in other news, he is apparently visiting Arizona today, according to his dad. So I think this one may be far from over. Still, wherever he ends up it wouldn't break my heart if it isn't Chapel Hill.

http://www.pointguardu.com/content/shabazz-muhammad-visit-arizona-768/

wilko
04-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Still, wherever he ends up it wouldn't break my heart if it isn't Chapel Hill.[/URL]

If his destination isnt Duke, ABC baby...
Anywhere But Carolina..

AlaskanAssassin
04-27-2011, 01:11 PM
According to @SummerHoopScoop:

Source: "UNC has NOT backed off Shabazz Muhammad and he has certainly not backed off them... a LOT of mutual interest."

http://twitter.com/#!/SummerHoopScoop/status/62593173997895680

Also mentioned that he will visit Arizona next weekend

ChicagoHeel
04-27-2011, 01:14 PM

From the site:

I don't think this is a credible article. The article is based on a link that appeared last week from a source I'm not familiar with (www.chapelheels.com). There has been no change on Scout in terms of whether UNC is offering Shabazz. I'm pretty certain we are still in the running.

Gorilla
04-27-2011, 01:57 PM
I think he ends up at Kentucky when it's said and done

kong123
04-27-2011, 02:47 PM
I don't think this is a credible article. The article is based on a link that appeared last week from a source I'm not familiar with (www.chapelheels.com). There has been no change on Scout in terms of whether UNC is offering Shabazz. I'm pretty certain we are still in the running.

I posted something on Saturday that mentioned a conversation with SM's father. He basically said that UNC now considered Shabazz a "luxury recruit" but it didn't mention that they had withdrawn the offer. It was also mentioned that Roscoe Allen was the focus of UNC's recruiting trips to Vegas.

I think Shabazz ends up at Kentucky or perhaps even UNLV. I have heard winning a championship was not his goal for his one year in college, so that opens up other schools like Arizona, UCLA, and UNLV.

BD80
04-27-2011, 04:12 PM
... I think Shabazz ends up at Kentucky or perhaps even UNLV. I have heard winning a championship was not his goal for his one year in college, so that opens up other schools like Arizona, UCLA, and UNLV.

... and keeps unc in the mix?

AlaskanAssassin
04-27-2011, 04:16 PM
I think Shabazz ends up at Kentucky or perhaps even UNLV. I have heard winning a championship was not his goal for his one year in college, so that opens up other schools like Arizona, UCLA, and UNLV.

Don't know how accurate this article is, but his father stated that he does indeed want to be able to play for a National Championship in college.

Here is the entire quote:

"Arizona is getting the best talent in the West and that's something Shabazz has noticed," said Ron Holmes, Muhammad's father. "He wants to play for a National Championship in college and Arizona's incoming recruits are something that stand out."

http://www.chapelheels.com/content/arizona-re-enters-shabazz-muhammad-recruitment-16/

JasonEvans
04-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Arizona is recruiting quite well... for a West Coast school. But, it is a solid notch or two below the REAL recruiting powers (Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, and perhaps Ohio State and Florida).

Bazz is from Las Vegas, so there may be some real pressure to stay in the Western part of the country... but if he wants to win a national title, come East! In the past decade, there has been exactly one national champion (Kansas in 2008) to come from west of the Mississippi River. There hasn't been a national champion from the Pacific Time Zone since Arizona in 1997. Bazz was barely out of diapers when the PT last won a title.

--Jason "one of our many socal Devils will probably get on me for this post-- but facts are facts" Evans

uh_no
04-27-2011, 05:42 PM
the REAL recruiting powers (Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, and perhaps Ohio State and Florida).

Not to be picky, but I'm not sure I'd consider florida one of the top 6 recruiting powers in the country....the last time they had a top 10 class was 2008 (as per scout) and they are not even ranked this year. They have decent recruiting clout, but certainly nowhere near the top 4 as you mentioned or even ohio state. Florida also has not really had much success on the national scene since their title runs, certainly not the kind of success you'd expect relative to the other 5 teams you've named. They'e missed the tournament twice, went one and done once, and only this year won a game (making it to the elite 8, of course)

I personally feel that billy D had one great recruiting class that brought him 2 titles, and otherwise has generally been mediocre as a recruiter.

SilkyJ
04-27-2011, 06:21 PM
There hasn't been a national champion from the Pacific Time Zone since Arizona in 1997. Bazz was barely out of diapers when the PT last won a title.

--Jason "one of our many socal Devils will probably get on me for this post-- but facts are facts" Evans

Well I'm a transplant NorCal devil, but a quick clarification: during the winter months, most of AZ actually gets lumped into the Mountain time zone (http://mommydaddyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/time-zone-map.jpg). Which I think strengthens your point :D

Steven Allen
04-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Some really awesome highlights from his 2010-11 season. This kid is ridiculous!

Shabazz Muhammad Mixtape 2010-11 season (http://devilhoops.com/content/best-shabazz-muhammad-mixtape-ever-20/)

turnandburn55
04-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Doesn't look like whatever team gets him will be settling for jumpshots.... dude can get to the hoop.

COYS
04-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Some really awesome highlights from his 2010-11 season. This kid is ridiculous!

Shabazz Muhammad Mixtape 2010-11 season (http://devilhoops.com/content/best-shabazz-muhammad-mixtape-ever-20/)

Has someone checked a birth certificate on Bazz? It looked like a 30 year old playing against 16 year olds . . . which is probably how the opposing team felt. As usual with mixtapes, can't tell too much other than the facts that he is incredibly strong for his age and he is quite the athlete.

Kedsy
04-28-2011, 10:41 PM
Doesn't look like whatever team gets him will be settling for jumpshots.... dude can get to the hoop.

To me, all I could tell is he can convert when he's around the rim. I didn't see a tremendous handle or first step or post moves or outside shot or anything else. And at 6'6", one thing that's sure is it won't be so easy to have the ball and be in position to convert around the rim. Sure, I'll be thrilled if he comes to Duke, but I can't tell much about him from mixtapes like this.

airowe
04-28-2011, 10:49 PM

To me, all I could tell is he can convert when he's around the rim. I didn't see a tremendous handle or first step or post moves or outside shot or anything else.

His handle and outside shot are certainly two of his weaknesses. He has a deceptive first step though and is so, so strong for his age.

Kedsy
04-28-2011, 10:54 PM
His handle and outside shot are certainly two of his weaknesses. He has a deceptive first step though and is so, so strong for his age.

Cool. Hard to see that stuff from the mixtape, which is why I'd rather rely on accounts from people I trust who have seen him play (like you, Airowe).

mo.st.dukie
04-28-2011, 11:18 PM
Maybe it's because he's a lefty but he looks to me like a little more polished Elliot Williams. Bazz has a smoother offensive game than EWill but the explosiveness and physical build are very similar.

COYS
04-29-2011, 07:25 AM
Maybe it's because he's a lefty but he looks to me like a little more polished Elliot Williams. Bazz has a smoother offensive game than EWill but the explosiveness and physical build are very similar.

Again, mixtape may be distorting my analysis, but it seemed to me that Williams was much more of a ball handler and play-maker than Shabazz. Williams was also craftier with his drives, weaving in and out of traffic while Shabazz just overpowers everyone. They seem very different to me. I could see a comparison to Gerald Henderson, though (G needed to develop his handle but his strength and hops were there from the beginning). Again, though, I'll cede the floor to arowe and anyone else who has seen him in person.

roywhite
04-29-2011, 07:43 AM

That's not a bad comparison IMO.

Not to get into the rivalry, but I'm also reminded of a young Jerry Stackhouse.

airowe
04-29-2011, 08:29 AM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABw4d_sw1M0) is the guy he's most compared to. Bazz may have a better ability to finish around the rim (although that could be contributed to the level of competition) and a bit more athleticism, but not as nice of a shot. He's got some time to work on that though...

darjum
04-29-2011, 09:11 AM

Yes, when I watched the video I was reminded of Stackhouse also. Similar builds.

By all accounts he appears very explosive. But as COYS alluded to, mixtapes don't show you much of their game.

I still feel if Rivers flows to the NBA after one year, Shabazz would be an amazing replacement. Would be great to develop a flow of NBA lottery guards coming through during the remaining years of K's legacy.

However, despite the exciting mixtape:p, I still feel Tony Parker is the key recruit for 2012.

airowe
04-29-2011, 09:21 AM
However, despite the exciting mixtape:p, I still feel Tony Parker is the key recruit for 2012.

You are not alone in this sentiment!

MChambers
04-29-2011, 09:33 AM

Then he should not rent beach houses.

CharlestonDevil
04-29-2011, 11:14 AM
You are not alone in this sentiment!

I completely agree about Parker, but if that is true then why did K tell Alex that he and Bazz were the "2 guys he really wanted"?

Had Parker not come on at that point or is K not worried about finding a big guy like the rest of us are?

jimsumner
04-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Cool. Hard to see that stuff from the mixtape, which is why I'd rather rely on accounts from people I trust who have seen him play (like you, Airowe).

Yes, hard to see that stuff from the mixtape. I confess to equal parts amusement and exasperation at the youtube phenomena, whereby someone looks at 30 seconds of highlights and suddenly feels qualified to chart that player's career arc.

Imagine how much time, effort and money Duke could save if they just depended more on mixtapes and didn't actually have to hit the road and see these kids in person. Because, they seem to be so accurate and everything.

yancem
04-29-2011, 11:32 AM
While the athleticism is very apparent, so the the complete lack of a right hand. He will certainly be a stud but he needs to work on being more amphibious.

77devil
04-29-2011, 12:00 PM
While the athleticism is very apparent, so the the complete lack of a right hand. He will certainly be a stud but he needs to work on being more amphibious.

I read that he wants to play club water polo to work on that right hand.

tylervinyard
04-29-2011, 12:04 PM
I completely agree about Parker, but if that is true then why did K tell Alex that he and Bazz were the "2 guys he really wanted"?

Had Parker not come on at that point or is K not worried about finding a big guy like the rest of us are?

Alex and Shabazz are great friends. That's probably why.

Indoor66
04-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Yes, hard to see that stuff from the mixtape. I confess to equal parts amusement and exasperation at the youtube phenomena, whereby someone looks at 30 seconds of highlights and suddenly feels qualified to chart that player's career arc.

Imagine how much time, effort and money Duke could save if they just depended more on mixtapes and didn't actually have to hit the road and see these kids in person. Because, they seem to be so accurate and everything.

Now, now Jim, let the children play in their dream world. :cool:

Starter
04-29-2011, 12:45 PM
I went to a talk yesterday given by agent whistleblower Josh Luchs -- the guy from this infamous SI article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/magazine/10/12/agent/index.html) -- which was interesting in a lot of ways. One thing he said is that a several-thousand dollar expense agents incur before the NFL draft is that every single prospect insists on having their own highlight tape, primarily for them to have and watch because it's cool. But he said -- predictably -- teams just threw highlight tapes in the trash when they get them, because they have all the game tape of a player and would obviously want to see everything, not just the player's finest moments.

All that said, I don't see the problem with fans wanting to see mixtapes, especially if they're not in an area of the country where they can make it to the games and make their own judgments. I personally like to get to games to see players in person, and I fully agree there's no basis in going overboard predicting a guy's whole career from a tape, but in terms of getting a handle on what sort of athletic gifts and body type a guy brings to the table, they can suffice. For example... if you can't get pumped watching this tape (http://hoopmixtape.ning.com/video/austin-rivers-crazy-official?xg_source=shorten_twitter) of Austin Rivers, I mean...

timmy c
04-29-2011, 12:47 PM

So he’s needs to watch more Derek Fisher?

MChambers
04-29-2011, 01:22 PM
I went to a talk yesterday given by agent whistleblower Josh Luchs -- the guy from this infamous SI article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/magazine/10/12/agent/index.html) -- which was interesting in a lot of ways. One thing he said is that a several-thousand dollar expense agents incur before the NFL draft is that every single prospect insists on having their own highlight tape, primarily for them to have and watch because it's cool. But he said -- predictably -- teams just threw highlight tapes in the trash when they get them, because they have all the game tape of a player and would obviously want to see everything, not just the player's finest moments.

All that said, I don't see the problem with fans wanting to see mixtapes, especially if they're not in an area of the country where they can make it to the games and make their own judgments. I personally like to get to games to see players in person, and I fully agree there's no basis in going overboard predicting a guy's whole career from a tape, but in terms of getting a handle on what sort of athletic gifts and body type a guy brings to the table, they can suffice. For example... if you can't get pumped watching this tape (http://hoopmixtape.ning.com/video/austin-rivers-crazy-official?xg_source=shorten_twitter) of Austin Rivers, I mean...

How many times have you seen a mixtape where the featured player missed a shot?

But I agree that it is harmless for fans to look at them, as long as they don't take them too seriously. Unfortunately, many fans do take them too seriously.

Starter
04-29-2011, 01:26 PM
How many times have you seen a mixtape where the featured player missed a shot?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSkGnhLO8lw

jimsumner
04-29-2011, 01:58 PM
David McLure had 17 dunks and made six 3-pointers while at Duke. Given the relevant footage and technical expertise--neither of which, I have, btw-I could make a mixtape that would make McClure look like a scoring machine. I wouldn't show the 12 missed 3-pointers of course, nor dwell too heavily on his 53% foul-shooting percentage.

Marty Pocius had 19 steals and one block at Duke and drew 13 charges. Again, one could make a mixtape making a strong--but inaccurate--case that Pocius was a defensive stopper. Again, not showing the 59 fouls in 532 minutes.

The point isn't that these videos aren't entertaining and yes, one might be able to glean some useful information. But recognize that these are edited to make an impact not to tell a balanced story. So, some skepticism may be in order. They really don't show everything we need to know.

mkline09
04-29-2011, 02:02 PM
David McLure had 17 dunks and made six 3-pointers while at Duke. Given the relevant footage and technical expertise--neither of which, I have, btw-I could make a mixtape that would make McClure look like a scoring machine. I wouldn't show the 12 missed 3-pointers of course, nor dwell too heavily on his 53% foul-shooting percentage.

Marty Pocius had 19 steals and one block at Duke and drew 13 charges. Again, one could make a mixtape making a strong--but inaccurate--case that Pocius was a defensive stopper. Again, not showing the 59 fouls in 532 minutes.

The point isn't that these videos aren't entertaining and yes, one might be able to glean some useful information. But recognize that these are edited to make an impact not to tell a balanced story. So, some skepticism may be in order. They really don't show everything we need to know.

Just like the mix tapes I used to make as a kid for car trips I avoided songs I didn't like. I only put the good traveling music on them. Didn't make me a DJ.

Starter
04-29-2011, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I don't think anyone would disagree with any of that, or for that matter, that anyone has. I just thought the dream world stuff was a little harsh. We're all on the same team here, in a manner of speaking.

Indoor66
04-29-2011, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I don't think anyone would disagree with any of that, or for that matter, that anyone has. I just thought the dream world stuff was a little harsh. We're all on the same team here, in a manner of speaking.

The same team with differing versions of reality.

Starter
04-29-2011, 04:21 PM
The same team with differing versions of reality.

Hm. Indeed.

Regardless -- since this is a Shabazz Muhammad chain, no? -- he'll apparently be in Kansas tonight for the Jayhawk Invitational to play against a team with Perry Ellis, like Muhammad a KU and UK recruit. FYI -- Tony Parker is also playing there, in a separate game. Link (http://www2.kusports.com/news/2011/apr/29/ku-basketball-recruits-paired/) here.

darjum
04-29-2011, 08:15 PM
Hm. Indeed.

Regardless -- since this is a Shabazz Muhammad chain, no? -- he'll apparently be in Kansas tonight for the Jayhawk Invitational to play against a team with Perry Ellis, like Muhammad a KU and UK recruit. FYI -- Tony Parker is also playing there, in a separate game. Link (http://www2.kusports.com/news/2011/apr/29/ku-basketball-recruits-paired/) here.

Thanks Starter, really appreciate your knowledge and insights. You always bring a lightheartedness to a situation, which is what basketball should be about. Sports are sports after all.

Always great when potential Duke recruits play...even at the Jayhawk Invitational!

yancem
04-29-2011, 09:12 PM

Not sure if you are adding on to my joke or making fun of my use of the word amphibious but it was a reference to a quote by Charles Shackleford.

BD80
05-26-2011, 04:59 PM
Story today on Shabazz:

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/29590297

“Schools are recruiting me as a shooting guard,” he said. “So I’m working on handling the ball. Schools like Kentucky, Duke, Arizona, they have their shooting guards handle the ball a lot. And the most important thing is my perimeter shooting. The athleticism is already there.”

Muhammad has offers from dozens of schools, but he has trimmed some of the fat and is focusing on seven schools: Kentucky, Duke, UCLA, UNLV, Arizona, Kansas and Texas.

What impressed Muhammad the most about Duke was head coach Mike Krzyzewski, but it wasn’t his charm or recruiting pitch that opened Muhammad’s eyes.

“Coach K, I talked to him a lot,” he said. “He’s very intellectual, he know what he’s doing. The guy is just smart. It’s a great place to be at.”

MCFinARL
05-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Story today on Shabazz:

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/29590297

Very interesting.

Also interesting--no UNC on this list. Have they cooled on Muhammad, or vice versa?

DukieinSoCal
05-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Story today on Shabazz:

Another quote from the same article: “The school’s tradition,” Muhammad said. “I’m looking for the school that has the best opportunity for me to win a national championship.”

Wouldn't this give us a slight edge considering Calipari, Howland, and Miller haven't won a title yet and Self only has one to his credit? Personally, I think it'll be tough to beat out all the other great programs in the mix but I guess we have as good a shot as anyone.

BD80
05-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Shabazz also offers this comment about Kentucky:

“It’s a good place for a person who is serious about basketball. There are no distractions.”

He was referring to the rural campus setting, and the lack of "big city" distractions.

Might he also have been referring to academics?

duke09hms
05-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Seeing as how UNC isn't on his list of seven schools, I'm looking forward to the first tar heel fans saying "oh he really wanted to come here, but we decided not to offer him."

Bluedevil114
05-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Story today on Shabazz:

What I found interesting is that the top teams are recruiting him as a shooting guard which also helps our case since we will possibly be losing Austin Rivers after one year. That would leave Shabazz to battle with Sr. Curry for playing time.

Kedsy
05-26-2011, 09:34 PM
What I found interesting is that the top teams are recruiting him as a shooting guard which also helps our case since we will possibly be losing Austin Rivers after one year. That would leave Shabazz to battle with Sr. Curry for playing time.

He would be competing with Seth for playing time the same way Austin will compete with Seth for playing time. Which means probably not at all. There will be plenty of minutes for the top three or four guards/wings. One and done types will likely get all the minutes they can handle.

BD80
05-26-2011, 10:09 PM
Seeing as how UNC isn't on his list of seven schools, I'm looking forward to the first tar heel fans saying "oh he really wanted to come here, but we decided not to offer him."

The article mentions that Shabazz "trimmed the fat" to get to his seven schools.

oldnavy
05-27-2011, 03:31 AM
We just have to get this kid, if for no other reason I will be able to say "SHABAZZZ"! all I want to!

It's just fun to say SHABAZZZZ!

SHABAZZZ!!! That would make a great tag line to my avitar don't ya think!

MChambers
05-27-2011, 09:25 AM
The article mentions that Shabazz "trimmed the fat" to get to his seven schools.

I would have thought a high school junior would be too young to remember Sean May.

wilko
05-27-2011, 10:32 AM
We just have to get this kid, if for no other reason I will be able to say "SHABAZZZ"! all I want to! It's just fun to say SHABAZZZZ!
SHABAZZZ!!! That would make a great tag line to my avitar don't ya think!

It would be fun.
I think it would be cool to co-opt the Comic characters lightning bolt symbol on a sign... and have something like this for SHABAZZ:

SHAZAM =
Solomon- wisdom,
Hercules - strength,
Atlas - stamina,
Zeus - power,
Achilles - Courage, and
Mercury - speed.

Or we can say Shabazz like Gomer Pyle would....

CharlestonDevil
05-27-2011, 10:58 AM
In the article Bazz is quoted as saying 2 factors are influencing his decision:
“The school’s tradition," and "I’m looking for the school that has the best opportunity for me to win a national championship.”

For tradition I would have to rank his final 7 this way:
1) Duke - Yes, above UK and KU b/c I am factoring in perception over the past 10-20 years
2a) Kentucky
2b) Kansas
4) UCLA
5) Arizona
6) UNLV
7) Texas

So what about projected rosters for the other teams? UK will have another mass exodus of talent leaving them to reload. Kansas is in a rebuilding year now but will they be "back"? UCLA is down and will remain that way if they keep taking tarhole quitters. Texas and Arizona always have some talent, would Bazz be the piece that gets them over the top?

gam7
05-27-2011, 05:49 PM
In the article Bazz is quoted as saying 2 factors are influencing his decision:
“The school’s tradition," and "I’m looking for the school that has the best opportunity for me to win a national championship.”

For tradition I would have to rank his final 7 this way:
1) Duke - Yes, above UK and KU b/c I am factoring in perception over the past 10-20 years
2a) Kentucky
2b) Kansas
4) UCLA
5) Arizona
6) UNLV
7) Texas

So what about projected rosters for the other teams? UK will have another mass exodus of talent leaving them to reload. Kansas is in a rebuilding year now but will they be "back"? UCLA is down and will remain that way if they keep taking tarhole quitters. Texas and Arizona always have some talent, would Bazz be the piece that gets them over the top?

The article says that many consider UCLA to be the leader for Shabazz (even though he denies it). Knowledgable UCLA fans I know share this sentiment. From what I understand, UCLA is in a pretty good position to bring in a strong 2012 class and their expectation at this point is that Shabazz will be its centerpiece. Hope they are wrong.

darjum
05-27-2011, 11:24 PM

Part of his decision will depend on what happens in the NBA collective bargaining. If a two year limit is put on the kids then the recruiting class for UK will remain. Which will obviously influence all big time college programs, including Duke.

UCLA does sound like an interesting option, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that Bazz wants to play in an up tempo system and enjoys pushing the pace. I've watched enough Ben Howland basketball to know that isn't his style. For example, last year UCLA ranked 137th in offense, whereas Duke ranked 10th, Arizona was 25th and Kansas was 5th. So maybe the style of play may also influence his choice.

It's hard for Duke fans to be objective about recruits, hence I can't be either! But I do feel he would fit very well within Coach K's system and the players already committed to Duke. If Duke can add Bazz and a low post scorer/rebounder (Tony Parker etc), not to mention Purvis it would rival any recent recruiting class. But visions and reality are rarely partners.

Krzyzewskiville
05-27-2011, 11:33 PM
Tony Parker, Bazz, and Saulimon would be a stellar class!

darjum
05-27-2011, 11:41 PM

Yes! My bad! The real Sheed is great!

rotogod00
06-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Insider article from Dave Telep:

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog?name=telep_dave&id=6643762

Mentions that Muhammad's been working on his explosiveness, and it shows. More athletic than last time seen. Jump shot improved too.

As far as recruiting, he's hearing UCLA, Duke and Memphis with UCLA the clubhouse leader heading into the summer.

Lord Ash
06-10-2011, 09:03 AM

Yes, please!

akhan786
06-10-2011, 01:16 PM
If it came down to one scholarship I feel like I'd take Purvis over Shabazz. I just feel like we'll have too many wings in Gbinjie and Murphy and I don't want either of the talents get wasted on the bench.

I'd really just be happy with Purvis, Sulaimon, and Parker. However, if both Mason and Austin leave we'd have one more scholarship to use and I don't know if I would want to spend that on Bazz or another big man like Perry Ellis.

akhan786
06-11-2011, 05:23 PM
http://www.nbadraft.net/future-talent-bright-nba

BD80
06-11-2011, 07:35 PM
http://www.nbadraft.net/future-talent-bright-nba

WOW. Superlatives seem superfluous.

Bazz the beast.

Starter
06-13-2011, 11:42 AM
I'd add that usually I wouldn't expect top recruits to tip their hands one way or another as to a potential favorite so as to get the most out of the process in terms of attention, fun, free trips/games, being absolutely 100% positive, whatever. Even Kyrie Irving, who I'm pretty sure was as close to a lock as there has been for Duke in recent recruiting, at least attempted to keep some suspense until his announcement. There's no incentive for a kid like that to take any iota of attention away from himself in the recruiting process. I'm not saying UCLA is the leader for Shabazz, but we wouldn't know either way probably.

CharlestonDevil
06-13-2011, 12:52 PM
To me, where Duke stands is not as important as where Carolina stands, and they've been eliminated.

In my book that's already a "W".

Bay Area Duke Fan
06-13-2011, 01:37 PM
To me, where Duke stands is not as important as where Carolina stands, and they've been eliminated.

So you'd rather have a UNC loss than a Duke win ???

wilko
06-13-2011, 01:44 PM

Its more like saying: Duke is better cuz we made it to the Sweet 16 when UNC' lost in the 1st round.. anything from here is GRAVY!

CharlestonDevil
06-13-2011, 01:55 PM

In a word, YES.

To me the silence after a Carolina loss is priceless. Nothing will ever get any better than the 09-10 season. Duke perfection coupled with the collapse of the actual UNC team and the utter embarrassment of tarheel nation. Cannot be topped.

BluePanda
06-13-2011, 04:13 PM
In a word, YES.

To me the silence after a Carolina loss is priceless. Nothing will ever get any better than the 09-10 season. Duke perfection coupled with the collapse of the actual UNC team and the utter embarrassment of tarheel nation. Cannot be topped.

I would have to disagree. UNC loss or Duke win? If we take this choice to the extreme,i.e. would I rather have a season where UNC wins 0 games (just for the sake of argument; obviously this would never happen) or would I rather have a season where Duke wins every game on way to the Natl. Championship, I would prefer the latter. A combination of the two to a lesser extent, your example with 09-10 season, would also be excellent. However picking between the two choices exclusively, I would prefer Duke winning. Duke beating UNC in the National Championship would be the best game ever.

Kedsy
06-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Duke beating UNC in the National Championship would be the best game ever.

Only if everybody's heart medicine prescriptions are up to date.

turnandburn55
06-13-2011, 08:36 PM

I agree. I don't think I could deal with the though of the alternative.

devildeac
06-13-2011, 10:21 PM
I would have to disagree. UNC loss or Duke win? If we take this choice to the extreme,i.e. would I rather have a season where UNC wins 0 games (just for the sake of argument; obviously this would never happen) or would I rather have a season where Duke wins every game on way to the Natl. Championship, I would prefer the latter. A combination of the two to a lesser extent, your example with 09-10 season, would also be excellent. However picking between the two choices exclusively, I would prefer Duke winning. Duke beating UNC in the National Championship would be the best game ever.

I agree. I don't think I could deal with the though of the alternative.

It would take way more than heart medication for me to watch that game. I'd have to add an anti-anxiety/psychotic agent, a strait jacket and have a behavioral psychologist/psychiatrist on-call.

COYS
06-13-2011, 10:27 PM

Without risk there is little reward. That would be the ultimate risk/reward game, no doubt. Outside of a World Cup Final between Argentina and Brazil or two teams from the big European rivalries, I can't even imagine a scenario in which two teams would match up in a game of equally high stakes. Maybe a Barcelona/Real Madrid Champions League Final. That being said, a UNC loss is nice consolation in the rare event of a Duke loss. However, as long as Duke wins every game they play, it means that inevitably a Duke win and a UNC loss will occur on the same night. UNC losing on Shabazz is fine by me. Duke winning the Shabazz sweepstakes would be even better.

gwlaw99
08-02-2011, 05:43 PM
According to scout.com, he has dropped UNC from his list of schools.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/788928-college-basketball-recruiting-unc-no-longer-on-top-ranked-recruits-radar

Wheat/"/"/"
08-02-2011, 08:08 PM

Too much talent ahead of him at UNC, and he knows he would unlikely even start as a freshman.
Can't blame the kid for looking elsewhere.

juise
08-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Too much talent ahead of him at UNC, and he knows he would unlikely even start as a freshman.

Interesting. I note that nbadraft.net has Bazz as the #1 pick in the 2013 draft. Not that nbadraft.net should be considered the final word in player evaluations, but I am skeptical that competition is much of a concern for Mr. Muhammad.

gumbomoop
08-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Too much talent ahead of him at UNC, and he knows he would [1] unlikely even start as a freshman.
[2] Can't blame the kid for looking elsewhere.

I do not know Wheat, but I have seen his photo on some thread, and he's a handsome fellow, possessed of a charming smile, and a devilish streak, the latter on display above. I can see Wheat smiling just a little as he composed point #1, and flat out guffawing as he typed #2.

Well played by a friendly agent provocateur.

Wheat/"/"/"
08-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Interesting. I note that nbadraft.net has Bazz as the #1 pick in the 2013 draft. Not that nbadraft.net should be considered the final word in player evaluations, but I am skeptical that competition is much of a concern for Mr. Muhammad.

Not trying to downplay his talents, UNC offered him so obviously Roy would have liked to have had him. But realistically, I doubt that UNC ever expected to be in the running for the top 2g in the next class.

At UNC, Bazz would have to compete with a Sr. Dex Strickland, Sr. Leslie McDonald, Jr.. Reggie Bullock, Soph. P.J. Hairston. That is some pretty stiff competition at 2g.

I'm sure he's not afraid of that, by all accounts he's a great player...but if I was him, why would I want to do that when I have options at a number of other great schools, one of them being Duke, where I would likely start, still compete for a title, and be a focal point of the offense?

If he chooses Duke, he might have to compete with Rivers at 2g... but since Rivers is supposedly 1 and done and likely gone next season, Duke becomes an interesting option for him.

Duke could be a good fit for him if Rivers leaves, since he'd only be competing with Sr. Dawkins, Soph. Gbinije .....and to a lesser extent Sr. combo Pg/Sg Curry for time.

All I am saying is timing could be good for Duke here, where it was poor for UNC...to get his commitment.

Gumbomoop: :)

devildeac
08-02-2011, 11:23 PM
I do not know Wheat, but I have seen his photo on some thread, and he's a handsome fellow, possessed of a charming smile, and a devilish streak, the latter on display above. I can see Wheat smiling just a little as he composed point #1, and flat out guffawing as he typed #2.

Well played by a friendly agent provocateur.

You must mean this photo:

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/download/file.php?id=1187&t=1

Regarding:

a) handsome fellow-you must have him confused with the guy with the glasses on:rolleyes:
b) charming smile-perhaps:D
c) devilish streak-I think you meant-standing next to devildeac

Yea, Wheat, youze guys really couldn't use a guy like 'Bazz. Riiiigggghhhhttt.;)

(Hope you made it back to Boca safely and your Dad is in the fast lane to recovery!)

BD80
08-03-2011, 10:59 AM

Spin, spin, spin.

I hope the wheels of ol' roy's bus don't spin so aggressively next trip over one of his players (unless it is hb).

Wheat, I appreciate the tongue in cheek post, but I do believe you just cut and pasted it from IC. SOP at unc?

oldnavy
08-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Not trying to downplay his talents, UNC offered him so obviously Roy would have liked to have had him. But realistically, I doubt that UNC ever expected to be in the running for the top 2g in the next class.

At UNC, Bazz would have to compete with a Sr. Dex Strickland, Sr. Leslie McDonald, Jr.. Reggie Bullock, Soph. P.J. Hairston. That is some pretty stiff competition at 2g.

I'm sure he's not afraid of that, by all accounts he's a great player...but if I was him, why would I want to do that when I have options at a number of other great schools, one of them being Duke, where I would likely start, still compete for a title, and be a focal point of the offense? If he chooses Duke, he might have to compete with Rivers at 2g... but since Rivers is supposedly 1 and done and likely gone next season, Duke becomes an interesting option for him.

Duke could be a good fit for him if Rivers leaves, since he'd only be competing with Sr. Dawkins, Soph. Gbinije .....and to a lesser extent Sr. combo Pg/Sg Curry for time.

All I am saying is timing could be good for Duke here, where it was poor for UNC...to get his commitment.

Gumbomoop: :)

I could see a player at that level wanting to be challenged every day. Could it be that he was just not that into UNC?

CharlestonDevil
08-03-2011, 11:51 AM
I could see a player at that level wanting to be challenged every day. Could it be that he was just not that into UNC?

He's just not that in to you...

Roy.

jimsumner
08-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Interesting. I note that nbadraft.net has Bazz as the #1 pick in the 2013 draft.

That's only if P.J. Hairston doesn't come out.

juise
08-03-2011, 12:19 PM
That's only if P.J. Hairston doesn't come out.

Oh, I was more concerned about "Jr. Reggie Bullock" getting drafted first. ;)

Gewebe14
08-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Oh, I was more concerned about "Jr. Reggie Bullock" getting drafted first. ;)

hahahahaha yeah or what about "sr. les-eat macdonalds." lol. Sorry wheat.

jimsumner
08-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Would it be churlish of me to to point out that, should Muhammad come to Duke, he would be competing against Dawkins, Sulaimon, Murphy and Gbinijie for PT?

Yet, somehow, he seems to have made the cut. Probably a result of Krzyzewski's deficient player-evaluation skills.

DukieInBrasil
08-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Would it be churlish of me to to point out that, should Muhammad come to Duke, he would be competing against Dawkins, Sulaimon, Murphy and Gbinijie for PT?
Well, Sulaimon and Gbinije certainly, but Murphy might be considered more in the line of a Singler-type 3/4 while Dawkins might be more of a 2/3. Consider that we don't currently have great depth guaranteed for the 2012 squad in the post. Kelly and MP3 are close to "guaranteed" to be there, while MP2 may or may not (i don't know if i buy the MP2 early draft buzz yet), so Murphy may see significant (10-15 mpg) as a 4 if MP2 goes. Dawkins may also play something more like a 2G as a Sr. if (as expected) Austin jumps to the Show.
I guess what i'm saying is that neither Dawkins nor Murphy is the prototypical size or skill-set for a 3, while Muhammad is. OTOH, i think js has a good point, Duke will have 2 highly regarded 3s on the roster (one Fr. one So.) and 2 guys that will probably get PT at the 3. However, from all accounts, SM is more highly regarded than either (silent)G or Sulaimon. If SM wants to play for Duke i'm sure that K will be able to convince him that there will be PT available for him.

Wheat/"/"/"
08-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Jim...How did we get to a point where it's infered that i think coack K is deficient in player evaluation skills? Recruiting the top kids is mostly about timing with the big time programs.

I'm no expert on Shabazz, but from what I gather of his size and game, it looks to me that he would only really be competing directly with Dawkins and Gbinijie, or Rivers if he stays, should he choose Duke.

At UNC, his size and style would conflict with a position full of quality/experienced upperclassmen(3) Hairston, Bullock, McDonald next season. I probably shouldn't have included Strickland.
My opinion is that entered onto his decision to rule out UNC.

The idea he's not a good fit for UNC next season, and could be for Duke, is no slight on Duke from me. But that seems to be how it's being perceived.

Or, then again, oldnavy could be right and he's just not that into UNC, what do I know?

jimsumner
08-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Jim...How did we get to a point where it's infered that i think coack K is deficient in player evaluation skills? Recruiting the top kids is mostly about timing with the big time programs.

I'm no expert on Shabazz, but from what I gather of his size and game, it looks to me that he would only really be competing directly with Dawkins and Gbinijie, or Rivers if he stays, should he choose Duke.

At UNC, his size and style would conflict with a position full of quality/experienced upperclassmen(3) Hairston, Bullock, McDonald next season. I probably shouldn't have included Strickland.

The idea he's not a good fit for UNC next season, and could be for Duke, is no slight on Duke from me. But that seems to be how it's being perceived.

Or, then again, oldnavy could be right and he's just not that into UNC, what do I know?

Wheat,

Having a little fun with you. But some context might be useful. We (and other Duke boards) have had more than our share of UNC fans who are fond of promulgating the idea that no one ever actually turns down Carolina but that Carolina is occasionally forced to stop recruiting elite talents simply because they have so many other elite talents that it just wouldn't be fair to the youngsters. Nobel Peace Prize Committee on line 1, Coach Williams.

So, you have to forgive a bit of skepticism on our part. Carolina stopped recruiting the consensus number one recruit in the class and the presumptive number one pick in the 2013 NBA draft because he wouldn't be able to compete with Reggie Bullock and Leslie McDonald. Or that Muhammad was scared off by the level of competition.

I can barely type either sentence with a straight face.

Muhammad likely is a 3 at the college level, with the possibility of playing some 2. That could potentially put him in competition for PT with some combination of Curry, Rivers (very unlikely), Dawkins, Murphy, Gbinijie and Sulaimon. Not for one position. As many as four of these guys could be on the court at the same time. But that would involve Curry playing the point instead of Cook or Thornton, or Murphy playing the 4 instead of Kelly or Hairston.

So, indirectly, Muhammad would be competing against these guys for PT.

Yet, somehow he has Duke on his short list and Duke has Muhammad on their short list.

Hard to explain. Unless you take seriously the claim of numerous great Duke (and UNC players) that I've interviewed over the years, specifically that great players like to play with other great players. The presence of talent enhances a school's attractiveness. Not lessens it.

Not for everyone, of course. Some guys simply demand to be THE MAN from day one and it doesn't much matter what else happens. Kris Humphries is one example but hardly the only one.

But look at the teams being considered by Muhammad. The local guys are on it. But everyone else is a school that he could reasonably expect to have a talented roster next season. Doesn't sound like a guy who would be scared off by Reggie Bullock. Or Michael Gbinijie.

rsvman
08-04-2011, 01:27 PM
SI reporting that Muhammed is UCLA's to lose at this point.

Not sure how reliable their sources are, though.

oldnavy
08-04-2011, 01:35 PM

Wheat, to clarify, I believe that if SM was high on UNC that he would not necessarily be put off by competition from the guys you have in the 2 spot. Not a dig on your guys, but they are not imposing superstar types (Hairston??). I would expect a top recruit like Shabazz to feel like he could carve out significant PT against them. I guess my point is that if he really was into UNC he probably would have committed and worked to get PT like some of the other MDAA’s that have gone there and not started right away.

Duvall
08-04-2011, 01:35 PM

It's from Seth Davis (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/seth_davis/07/28/top.hs.prospects/index.html?sct=cb_t11_a0), so you really have to like UNLV's chances.

superdave
08-04-2011, 01:36 PM

SI is a player in reporting on high school recruits? I did not know that. I'll trust the usual gurus over SI any day of the week on this one. (edit: OK Seth Davis makes sense, but still...)

Also I would expect Shabazz to hold off until the roster for next season are known before he chooses a school - maybe next March/April. That makes a lot of sense from his perspective anyways.

Wheat/"/"/"
08-04-2011, 01:50 PM
I hear ya...fans can be...hmmm...fans:)

No team gets every player they want, and that certainly includes UNC.

I think UNC's offer is still there, should Shabazz come to his senses :)

superdave
08-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Dave Telep (http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog?name=telep_dave&id=6833360) says he sees it as two tiers - UCLA, Duke, UNLV then next tier Kentucky, A&M, Memphis, Kansas. He says Bazz wont decide any time soon and will take all 5 visits.

jimsumner
08-04-2011, 02:01 PM
SI is a player in reporting on high school recruits? I did not know that. I'll trust the usual gurus over SI any day of the week on this one. (edit: OK Seth Davis makes sense, but still...)

Also I would expect Shabazz to hold off until the roster for next season are known before he chooses a school - maybe next March/April. That makes a lot of sense from his perspective anyways.

Muhammad's time-line has been very consistent. He always indicated that he will not committ/sign until the spring of his senior season.

Faison1
08-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Wheat,

Having a little fun with you. But some context might be useful. We (and other Duke boards) have had more than our share of UNC fans who are fond of promulgating the idea that no one ever actually turns down Carolina but that Carolina is occasionally forced to stop recruiting elite talents simply because they have so many other elite talents that it just wouldn't be fair to the youngsters. Nobel Peace Prize Committee on line 1, Coach Williams.

So, you have to forgive a bit of skepticism on our part. Carolina stopped recruiting the consensus number one recruit in the class and the presumptive number one pick in the 2013 NBA draft because he wouldn't be able to compete with Reggie Bullock and Leslie McDonald. Or that Muhammad was scared off by the level of competition.

I can barely type either sentence with a straight face.

Muhammad likely is a 3 at the college level, with the possibility of playing some 2. That could potentially put him in competition for PT with some combination of Curry, Rivers (very unlikely), Dawkins, Murphy, Gbinijie and Sulaimon. Not for one position. As many as four of these guys could be on the court at the same time. But that would involve Curry playing the point instead of Cook or Thornton, or Murphy playing the 4 instead of Kelly or Hairston.

So, indirectly, Muhammad would be competing against these guys for PT.

Yet, somehow he has Duke on his short list and Duke has Muhammad on their short list.

Hard to explain. Unless you take seriously the claim of numerous great Duke (and UNC players) that I've interviewed over the years, specifically that great players like to play with other great players. The presence of talent enhances a school's attractiveness. Not lessens it.

Not for everyone, of course. Some guys simply demand to be THE MAN from day one and it doesn't much matter what else happens. Kris Humphries is one example but hardly the only one.

But look at the teams being considered by Muhammad. The local guys are on it. But everyone else is a school that he could reasonably expect to have a talented roster next season. Doesn't sound like a guy who would be scared off by Reggie Bullock. Or Michael Gbinijie.

Is it wrong for me to say, "I love you, Jim Sumner!!!!"

devildeac
08-04-2011, 02:29 PM
According to scout.com, he has dropped UNC from his list of schools.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/788928-college-basketball-recruiting-unc-no-longer-on-top-ranked-recruits-radar

I hear ya...fans can be...hmmm...fans:)

No team gets every player they want, and that certainly includes UNC.

I think UNC's offer is still there, should Shabazz come to his senses :)

Looks like he already has...

:rolleyes:;)

oldnavy
08-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Is it wrong for me to say, "I love you, Jim Sumner!!!!"

That is what makes Jim great. He just said what I was trying to say to Wheat, yet he said it so clear. Thanks Jim.

rotogod00
08-10-2011, 09:10 AM
via Telep, Shabazz (along with Kyle Anderson) apparently visiting UCLA today

Starter
09-10-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm not totally sold on Kyle Anderson's game translating to the NCAA level, but I'd certainly take him (http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-08-27/elite-recruits-muhammad-anderson-talk-of-ucla-reunion)... (Sorry, little late on this, but just noticed it)

Starter
09-19-2011, 10:30 PM
I'm not totally sold on Kyle Anderson's game translating to the NCAA level, but I'd certainly take him (http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-08-27/elite-recruits-muhammad-anderson-talk-of-ucla-reunion)... (Sorry, little late on this, but just noticed it)

@KyleAnderson5
Vinny Chase
Had a great family meeting. I've decided to be a UCLA BRUIN!!

So... there's that...

tommy
09-19-2011, 11:18 PM
So... there's that...

Yeah, that is not great news for us. Anderson and Shabazz have talked a lot recently about playing together, how they're best friends, etc., and the only place for them to do that was UCLA. Of course a lot of guys talk about playing together and then it doesn't happen that way, but still, it would've been better for Anderson to pick SHU and take the "play together at UCLA" thing out of the mix entirely. Alas, no . . .

rotogod00
10-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Put this in the 2012 recruiting thread, but made sense to add it here as well

Muhammad's last visitor to close out the NCAA's contact period? Coach K (and posse):

http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/boys-basketball/post/_/id/488/seeking-last-place-for-no-1

Bazz: "I had a lot of visitors during this contact period, but yeah the last two schools that came to see me where Kentucky and Duke. That means something to me.”

G man
01-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Just curious if anyone has heard anything new regarding shabazz?

-bdbd
01-11-2012, 12:08 AM
Just curious if anyone has heard anything new regarding shabazz?

Not new "news," per se, but I posted on the Randle thread that this ESPN blog has just predicted him to go to UNLV. Wouldn't be my prediction, and I realllllly hope we still have a good shot - he's a special talent, a difference-maker....

http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/...tions-for-2012

:confused:

dukedoc
01-11-2012, 07:43 AM
The other recent (probably minor) development was the commitment of Khem Birch to UNLV which presumably helps them a little bit, but probably not all that much.

Starter
01-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Wrote this for Dime Magazine about Shabazz. Thought it would be of interest. He claims to still be completely wide open and says he's probably going to go on his remaining three official visits, mentioning Duke, Kansas and Arizona as possibilities. (His father mentioned Duke-Carolina) He had glowing things to say about every school. What else is new, right?

In other news, he's a totally awesome player.

http://dimemag.com/2012/01/attention-benefit-shabazz-muhammad-rises-to-the-occasion/

ACCBBallFan
01-17-2012, 06:09 PM
The other recent (probably minor) development was the commitment of Khem Birch to UNLV which presumably helps them a little bit, but probably not all that much.Only in practice since Birch woud have to sit a year and Shabazz in one and done.

tbyers11
01-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Only in practice since Birch woud have to sit a year and Shabazz in one and done.

Khem Birch will be eligible after the fall semester (http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-01-10/former-pitt-big-man-khem-birch-transfers-to-unlv). So he and Shabazz could play together from approximately mid-December forward should Muhummad decide to attend UNLV

SupaDave
01-17-2012, 08:02 PM
In his most recent Slam diary he talks quite glowingly about UNLV. The hometown team is doing well.

chrishoke
01-17-2012, 08:29 PM
If a kid is seriously considering UNLV, I can't see him picking Duke.

dchen09
01-17-2012, 08:38 PM
According to DraftExpress, Muhammad is down to UCLA and Kentucky with UCLA in the lead.

"Latest I'm hearing on Shabazz Muhammad's college decision from people close to the situation: down to UCLA and Kentucky. UCLA favorites."

Not sure how well connected he is on the high school level but he at least knows Dave Telep.

On a separate note, he also comments on Jabari Parker and compares him to Harrison Barnes. Lacks athleticism.

"Jabari Parker doesn't appear to be athletic enough to be a go-to type scoring option. Will run into some of same issues Harrison Barnes has."
"I really like Jabari Parker's size, shooting ability and basketball IQ. Really smart and mature for his age. Doesn't force. Competes on D"

Kedsy
01-17-2012, 10:24 PM

He's from Las Vegas. Give the kid a break for liking the hometown team.

airowe
01-17-2012, 10:27 PM

And his coach is the UNLV coach's brother. Didn't work out so well for Bruce Weber though...

Greg_Newton
01-17-2012, 10:54 PM

And his coach is the UNLV coach's brother. Didn't work out so well for Bruce Weber though...

And the PF on his team is a 2012 UNLV commit.

Plus... it is a top 15 team that, aside from its PG, will only lose a SF from it's starting 5, and add a 2011 #11 RSCI beast in Khem Birch and USC transfer Bryce Johnson. Assuming they maintain decent chemistry, they'd be a very real contender with Bazz next year.

SupaDave
01-17-2012, 11:21 PM

Never underestimate the hometown team. A high percentage of transfers end up back with the hometown squad.

Additionally, UNLV has gone very far in restoring their pride and tradition. They've made the tourney an impressive 4 of the last 5 years. And I'm pretty sure that Shabazz would be a break through like no other. Obviously they would give him the keys and he would be their version of a Kyrie. Throw in the tremendous hometown love he's getting and a beat down of UNC - that now has to be TOPPED by Duke - and you now have a foot in the game.

He's quite aware that where he goes will change the college landscape. He even goes as far to say that he's in the driver's seat in his Slam diary.

BluDvlsN1
01-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Never underestimate the hometown team. A high percentage of transfers end up back with the hometown squad.

Additionally, UNLV has gone very far in restoring their pride and tradition. They've made the tourney an impressive 4 of the last 5 years. And I'm pretty sure that Shabazz would be a break through like no other. Obviously they would give him the keys and he would be their version of a Kyrie. Throw in the tremendous hometown love he's getting and a beat down of UNC - that now has to be TOPPED by Duke - and you now have a foot in the game.

He's quite aware that where he goes will change the college landscape. He even goes as far to say that he's in the driver's seat in his Slam diary.

I agree about UNLV restoring pride and tradition and believe D Rice will do it with integrity, and I wish them well!
For decades I was the "local heretic", just never bought it to that win at any cost mentality, at the expense of the "student"/athletes !

But thats not the reason for this post, I hesitated on posting because I watched the prep games in Mass the other day, I saw Calipari sitting next to WoJo,then K, the JCapel! Wasn't sure if there were other Shabazz interested schools there or not! So I didn't mention anything cause I wasn't paying that close of attention!

On the surface it would appear that he's playing for GRice and going to UNLV (hometown) to play for DRice would be a possible slam dunk! I'm just not convinced!

When JWill was announcing and explained how he worked out Shabazz and he kept asking for more, he wanted to get better, and Shabazz's comments relative to the last visits by Duke and Kentucky and what it meant to him personally!
I know I'm reading between the lines here, and nothing against UNLV or DRice, I believe he (Shabazz) wants to be on the biggest stage, playing with the best athletes, with the most proven coaching,as possible! I agree he thinks he can have it all, and I'm just not personally convinced he believes UNLV is it!

I have no other information, just this opinion and I thought I would post a link to this article today!
It goes a long way in helping to define DRice the man and coach, but might show a "bit" of naivete!

It could be one of 3 things, (1) thats his philosophy and he's sticking to it,(2) he thinks UNLV is a lock and doesn't need to be there, (3) he believes there is no chance!!

http://www.lvrj.com/sports/rice-s-focus-taking-care-of-present-more-important-than-planning-future-137523873.html

I think it really is going to come down to how much he thinks he can gain and how quickly at whichever place he may choose!

Just an opinion!

JNort
01-18-2012, 11:49 AM
If I am not mistaken didn't Harrison Barnes keep his hometown in it? Wasn't his final three: Iowa, Duke and UNC? I think they usually just let the hometown team recruit them because they feel obligated to.

ElSid
01-18-2012, 12:31 PM
If I am not mistaken didn't Harrison Barnes keep his hometown in it? Wasn't his final three: Iowa, Duke and UNC? I think they usually just let the hometown team recruit them because they feel obligated to.

I'm not sure but I do know Harrison is from Ames, which is Iowa State.

Iowa is in Iowa City. Very different places.

Kdogg
01-18-2012, 01:16 PM

His mother worked at Iowa State and they were one of his finalist.

SupaDave
01-18-2012, 01:53 PM

Tell that to Joe Jackson at Memphis or Mitch McGary who just committed to Michigan. I could go on...

Ichabod Drain
01-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Yea, I dont think you can say it's 100% true either way, some big name players stay home others don't just depends on the kid. I haven't got a real good feel for Shabazz yet so I can't say what I think he'll do. What I do know is that UNLV has had a very good year so far and is on it's way up right now. So it's not like saying he'll be playing at a lower level program if he stays home, they could easily be title contenders with him next year IMO.

But is just winning and making a name for himseld what he is looking for? Or is he looking for the program that can develope him the best before he goes off to the NBA, if that is the case I believe he will end up somehwere besides UNLV.

TexHawk
01-18-2012, 03:00 PM
Not that it matters, but Barnes's final three were UNC, Duke, and KU. He kept Iowa St in it to help boost their national rep.

Btw... Shabazz is visiting KU next month. Zero chance he comes to Lawrence to play, but it's always nice to get a visit.

JNort
01-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Tell that to Joe Jackson at Memphis or Mitch McGary who just committed to Michigan. I could go on...

Yes but most kids do not choose to stay home and play (highly rated kids) unless the program nearby is a power house or has a chance at winning. Both those cases there teams have a good shot at a national title (or they thought they would).

SupaDave
01-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Yes but most kids do not choose to stay home and play (highly rated kids) unless the program nearby is a power house or has a chance at winning. Both those cases there teams have a good shot at a national title (or they thought they would).

A quick perusal of this year's top 30 will show that not only are top recruits picking the home team - they aren't going very far if they don't. Only a few have opted to go cross country. ALL of NC State's commits are from North Carolina - including one Rodney Purvis. Arizona has a sick FOUR in the top 36 - very Fab 5ish - guess who would make it complete?

http://www.masslive.com/hoophallclassic/index.ssf/2012/01/arizona_recruiting_update_shab.html

The kid has got some SERIOUS options. I doubt I could pick...

moonpie23
01-19-2012, 11:00 AM
Not that it matters, but Barnes's final three were UNC, Duke, and KU.

IMHO, HWNSNBM's past, present and future picks were "unc", "unc", and "UNC".......

BluDvlsN1
01-19-2012, 12:03 PM
A couple of links to curent stories!
Not sure it will have a major effect on Shabazz's decision, but thought you might be interested,
Probably isn't national news!!

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012/jan/19/mendenhall-center-puts-unlv-par-or-ahead-rivals-an/

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012/jan/19/former-coach-proud-what-unlv-has-built/

Indoor66
01-19-2012, 06:59 PM
IMHO, HWNSNBM's past, present and future picks were "unc", "unc", and "UNC".......

Shouldn't that read: "IMHO, hwnsnbm's past, present and future picks were "unc", "unc", and "UNC"......."?

loldevilz
01-19-2012, 07:48 PM
So if Austin Rivers stays and Shabazz comes then we willl have Rivers and Shabazz on the wings...wow

mapei
01-19-2012, 07:58 PM
"HWNSNBM"

I believe that sets a new standard for inside chatter that others can't understand.

Swardy
01-20-2012, 12:13 PM
I thought for sure he was gonna head to UCLA with Parker and Anderson . I just couldn't think of any other reason Anderson would go across country, but that seems to be falling apart a little bit. I dont think UNLV was really on the radar until they started playing well this year and then landed Khem Birch. I really want him to play for Duke but Id much rather him end up at UNLV then to ever have to see him in a Wildcat jersey (either one!)

watzone
02-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Duke will give Bazz thair last on campus effort this weekend - http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/02/the-final-courtship-of-bazz/ There will be several visitors including Jefferson, Pinson and Sulaimon. The bottom line is that Duke is still listed by Shabazz and he is looking forward to the visit. I hope the Drazies are ready for the list of visitors is longer.

airowe
02-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Amateurism of Shabazz Muhammad in question: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/17511404/ncaa-warns-schools-to-be-wary-over-top-recruit-muhammads-eligibility

Duvall
02-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Amateurism of Shabazz Muhammad in question: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/17511404/ncaa-warns-schools-to-be-wary-over-top-recruit-muhammads-eligibility

Clearly the best course for Muhammad would be to rehabilitate his image by attending a school with a reputation for doing things the right way.

Papa John
02-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Clearly the best course for Muhammad would be to rehabilitate his image by attending a school with a reputation for doing things the right way.

Sorry, but the NCAA is so full of it - it is absolutely unbelievable... How arrogant, petulant, and [oxy]moronic can these j-holes actually be?

yancem
02-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Sorry, but the NCAA is so full of $#!t it is absolutely unbelievable... How arrogant, petulant, and [oxy]moronic can these j-holes actually be?

I don't know, seems like kind of a tricky situation. It appears that the relationships were formed prior to it being obvious that Bazz was a likely nba prospect but money didn't end up being spent until he was getting consideration from division 1 schools. My family has a close friend that is a financial adviser but he didn't pay for my college visits. That seems like a rather interesting if not odd thing to offer (and the article implies that Mr. Lincoln approached the Muhammads). And Mr. Kavanagh didn't start supporting the aau team until this year and he states that he is interested in representing Bazz. Even if everything is/was by the letter of the law, it seems a bit shady to me and if I had a son that was likely to receive a Division 1 scholarship, I probably would try my best to avoid any of these financial transactions relationships.

Jderf
02-29-2012, 11:17 PM
I don't know, seems like kind of a tricky situation. It appears that the relationships were formed prior to it being obvious that Bazz was a likely nba prospect but money didn't end up being spent until he was getting consideration from division 1 schools. My family has a close friend that is a financial adviser but he didn't pay for my college visits. That seems like a rather interesting if not odd thing to offer (and the article implies that Mr. Lincoln approached the Muhammads). And Mr. Kavanagh didn't start supporting the aau team until this year and he states that he is interested in representing Bazz. Even if everything is/was by the letter of the law, it seems a bit shady to me and if I had a son that was likely to receive a Division 1 scholarship, I probably would try my best to avoid any of these financial transactions relationships.

Maybe. But there are just so many worse things going on out there. Some athletes are rumored to be pulling in hundreds of thousands of dollars. Some kids go on inexplicable shopping sprees and deck themselves out in "gifted" jewelry. Some kids are even doing drugs and abusing their own teammates, both mentally and physically. And Shabazz Muhammad is guilty of... going to see a college campus? With a little financial help from a family friend? Which they also reported openly, before the fact? I see nothing "shady" here.

Jderf
02-29-2012, 11:23 PM
Which they also reported openly, before the fact? I see nothing "shady" here.

And also, I should add, through official channels. In the worst case, perhaps I could understand if the NCAA requested that the Muhammad family pay back those sums. But if Shabazz loses any amount of eligibility, that is, if he is suspended for any games, I would be pretty disappointed.

MCFinARL
03-01-2012, 09:06 AM

Well, as to the Lincoln situation, at least, it seems pretty benign to me if you look at it another way. Lincoln is from Raleigh and a family friend. When it begins to appear that Shabazz will be interested in playing college ball, he says, "Why don't you come visit me and take an unofficial look around Duke and UNC?" And he volunteers to pay for the plane ticket. And the family reports the whole thing to the NCAA. That scenario seems plausibly innocent to me.

As far as I have seen reported, Lincoln, though a financial advisor by profession, has not (unlike Kavanagh) expressed an interest in representing Shabazz, and the idea (floated on some other comment boards) that he might be funneling Shabazz to a particular school is belied by the fact that Shabazz apparently visited both UNC and Duke on the trip--if you are promoting a school, you don't facilitate a visit to its arch rival.

As for Kavanagh, his "I'd like to represent Muhammad" statement raises eyebrows--but again, the fact that everyone is being so open about this, and that Kavanagh has connections to the coach of the aau team, not just Bazz, suggests, at least, that nothing shady or nefarious is going on, whether or not they were right about thinking it met the letter and spirit of NCAA rules.

RoyalBlue08
03-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Seems to me the NCAA is trying to police rules that are so grey it is impossible. So if a true family friend flies a kid around that is fine, but if his motivation is that he is a great at basketball then this is a violation. Insane. How can you ever truly know someone's motivations. The more and more I look at the NCAA the more and more I am with the Bilas model. Schools or boosters for a specific school giving money should be a violation, but if the kids get money from someone or some company that isn't affiliated with the school, it should just be their own business. I'm not sure who gets hurt in that situation.

With all that said, it's sad that this news has made me a little less excited about the prospect of signing Shabazz. While I don't agree with the rules and it very well maybe that he is a great kid that would never do anything wrong, anything that gets near tarnishing Duke reputation is not something I would want to risk. I have a feeling I am probably in the minority on this though. (probably rightfully so)

roywhite
03-01-2012, 09:39 AM
Shabazz and Duke?
I don't know for sure, but it just doesn't feel right.

Not a tidy recruitment, but a long drawn-out process, and seems to be waaay more interest in the basketball part of being a college basketball player.

Mike Corey
03-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Don't believe everything you read.

There's some Machiavellian stuff going on here behind the scenes, IMO.

Jderf
03-01-2012, 10:00 AM

A tantalizing statement. Care to elaborate?

Lord Ash
03-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Airowe has stated, on another forum, that it appears that the Kentucky staff may have been the ones to have brought this to the attention of the NCAA. Why they would do this is anyones speculation. Usually Airowe is pretty careful with what he says and he is often accurate, so I hope this does not count as rumor mongering.

Tjenkins
03-01-2012, 10:33 AM
So, the NCAA allows professional athletes like Brandon Weeden and Chris Weinke to play college football. But something that happened when Muhammad was 12 could jeopardize his "amateur status"?

Please.

I generally take the side of the NCAA when an obviously dirty coach or program gets busted (such as Harrick,Sutton or Calhoun), but it's getting harder and harder to take them seriously.

killerleft
03-01-2012, 10:40 AM

I would assume that this means that some schools (read Kentucky, maybe?, and others) may have leaked this info to the NCAA in order to steer the player away from Duke or UNC? And that the NCAA is being used to do the dirty work?

Mike Corey
03-01-2012, 10:43 AM
I would assume that this means that some schools (read Kentucky, maybe?, and others) may have leaked this info to the NCAA in order to steer the player away from Duke or UNC? And that the NCAA is being used to do the dirty work?

That is my sneaking suspicion, yes.

If Calipari can taint Shabazz's name, he'll get the blueboods to back off...knowing full well that Kentucky has no problem with pursuing someone with some question marks by their name. Kentucky will then be able to keep the full court press on while others back off, so Kentucky can then say, "We stuck with you when times got tough. No one else did. Come to Kentucky."

MCFinARL
03-01-2012, 10:48 AM

If Calipari can taint Shabazz's name, he'll get the blueboods to back off...knowing full well that Kentucky has no problem with pursuing someone with some question marks by their name. Kentucky will then be able to keep the full court press on while others back off, so Kentucky can then say, "We stuck with you when times got tough. No one else did. Come to Kentucky."

This raises an interesting point--given that, according to Shabazz's dad, all of this stuff was reported to the NCAA by the family, why would the NCAA get agitated about it now? Should we assume that the NCAA doesn't necessarily look at what crosses their desks unless a wheel starts squeaking (probably a plausible assumption)?

Mike Corey
03-01-2012, 10:53 AM
The reporting of it is only popping up now. Right before Shabazz's visit to Tobacco Road.

enick66
03-01-2012, 10:57 AM

Also, the article mentions paid for visits to Duke and UNC by the advisor and the fact that Kansas and UCLA are Adidas schools and Adidas sponsors his AAU team, but conveniently mentions nothing untoward about UK.

MCFinARL
03-01-2012, 11:02 AM
The reporting of it is only popping up now. Right before Shabazz's visit to Tobacco Road.

Ah, I see your point.

Duvall
03-01-2012, 11:11 AM

And right after UCLA's program was nationally blasted for questionable recruiting choices.

wilko
03-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Airowe has stated, on another forum, that it appears that the Kentucky staff may have been the ones to have brought this to the attention of the NCAA. Why they would do this is anyones speculation.

Apparently that Enos Kanter'player thing stuck in someones craw.
This is the recruiting equivalent of a err... uhm.. I'll go with "clock-block"

It says something about UK's confidence in landing him.
It sets them up to use a double standard argument of "How come they can get away with it and we cant?"

I smell Poythress type shenanigans all over this... I think we are too far in on this one to let it go because of this. This cant be the 1st time in the history of the world this kind of thing has happened. If the Miami the dude has to "payback travel costs" and all is forgiven; why wouldn't that be the situation here as a worst case?

yancem
03-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Maybe. But there are just so many worse things going on out there. Some athletes are rumored to be pulling in hundreds of thousands of dollars. Some kids go on inexplicable shopping sprees and deck themselves out in "gifted" jewelry. Some kids are even doing drugs and abusing their own teammates, both mentally and physically. And Shabazz Muhammad is guilty of... going to see a college campus? With a little financial help from a family friend? Which they also reported openly, before the fact? I see nothing "shady" here.

I don't disagree that this is probably a minor incident which will probably only require Bazz to repay the family friend for the travel expenses (if even that) but the circumstances of not one but to financial advisers financially assisting a probably lottery pick is a red flag that the ncaa probably should investigate (at least given the current rules). My response was to the post prior to mine that was ranting about the $&(@(^@ ncaa. I don't have a problem with the investigation, it seems warranted. I'll wait until the verdict is handed down before I start blaming the ncaa.

yancem
03-01-2012, 11:18 AM

It sets them up to use a double standard argument of "How come they can get away with it and we cant?"

I smell Poythress type shenanigans all over this... I think we are too far in on this one to let it go because of this. This cant be the 1st time in the history of the world this kind of thing has happened. If the Miami the dude has to "payback travel costs" and all is forgiven; why wouldn't that be the situation here as a worst case?

What kind of shenanigans went on with Poythress? I don't remember hearing anything.

Lord Ash
03-01-2012, 11:23 AM
What kind of shenanigans went on with Poythress? I don't remember hearing anything.

There was some talk of an inappropriate phone call between Duke and Alex. It turned out to be nothing but some felt that the hint of impropriety was enough to push Alex and Duke apart.

wilko
03-01-2012, 11:26 AM

Allegedly UK leaked this nugget about contact in a "dead period" so Duke would back off recruiting this guy.
It was an NCAA grey area and Duke backed off recruiting him taking the high road. Ultimately he signed/commuted to UK.

Here is more background. (http://eye-on-college-basketball-recruiting.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29884776/31079385)

yancem
03-01-2012, 11:27 AM
There was some talk of an inappropriate phone call between Duke and Alex. It turned out to be nothing but some felt that the hint of impropriety was enough to push Alex and Duke apart.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I was thinking that KY had pulled something but that make sense.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Allegedly UK leaked this nugget about contact in a "dead period" so Duke would back off recruiting this guy.
It was an NCAA grey area and Duke backed off recruiting him taking the high road. Ultimately he signed/commuted to UK.

Here is more background. (http://eye-on-college-basketball-recruiting.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29884776/31079385)

I didn't recall the allegation that UK was the source of that leak in the poythress case. Is that true? Wow, if this is all true, that dude is relentless in finding new ways to be slimey...

wilko
03-01-2012, 11:34 AM
It turned out to be nothing but some felt that the hint of impropriety was enough to push Alex and Duke apart.

I trust the staff to be all over this to make sure there is nothing in appropriate.
Shelden Williams had an incident in HS prior to his enrolling at Duke and and the Staff stood by him.
So I have no doubt that if this is smoke and mirrors posturing; we will keep pursuing him.

Class of '94
03-01-2012, 11:36 AM

And right after his visit to KU in which by some accounts, it appeared that he and his dad came away very impressed with the KU program. This appararent "leak" or reporting of information can not only affect Shabazz's recuritment by Duke, but also by programs like KU and UCLA because of the Addidas ties and implications. That said, I am confident that Duke will continue to do their own investigation and research into Bazz's recrutiment (like they do for any recruitment); and any decisions that meke in regards to recruiting Bazz will be based upon their own fact-gathering. I personally respect and appreciate that Bazz and his family have been completely honest and forthright with all of this; and they do appear to be trying to hide anything. Through what's been reported, they've demonstrated a willingness to take ownership and responsibiity of anything that would be deemed wrong or inappropriate (although they believe they haven't done anything wrong). I hope Duke ends up sticking with Bazz because while he may be focused on creating his "brand" for the NBA, I think he will embrace his time at whichever school he decides to attend just like Kyrie did.

Another issue or point should be made in regards to the "possible" reporting of this information to the NCAA by a program like Kentucky, it could be a way for a "shady" program imo like Kentucky to get back at the NCAA by putting the squeeze on them for the NCAA ruling Kentucky's recurit from last year ineligible. And if Bazz ends up going to another school like Duke and he is ruled eligible to play, Kentucky could then come back whining and complainng about be treated unfairly and picked on by the NCAA (and a favorable biased towards programs like Duke) by rulling their kid ineligible for taking improper financial benefits while allowing this other kid, who in their minds did the same thing, to play for a program like Duke (eventhough that Kentucky kid was proven to have been a paid professional athlete in Turkey for basketball, which is far different from what the supposed financial benefits Bazz received).

Class of '94
03-01-2012, 11:42 AM

You beat me to it......Exactly, either way, it could be construed as a strategic tactic by a program like Kentucky. If ti scares the other teams away from him, they they look good in that recrut's eyes (and future recruits) by sticking by him thru thick and thin; and if they don't get him and he is ruled eligible, then Kentucky will think they have ammunitiion to use against the NCAA.