PDA

View Full Version : WBB: ACC Champs

dukelifer
03-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Congrats to the Women- a gritty tourney overall. This team can play D for sure. Could make some noise in the NCAA tourney as well.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Congrats to the Duke Women! Where Duke Women lead, Duke Men will follow!

EKU1969
03-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Congrats to the women! Keep it up...great season and accomplishments.

jjasper0729
03-07-2010, 03:43 PM
talked to Mr. Sumner last night at the unc game... he made a great point that this hopefully will put them as the #5,6, or 7 team on the s-curve for the tournament and keep them out of uconn's bracket until the final four.

if they will ONLY make a few more baskets instead of missing open layups (a-la j thomas on the break in the second half today) then they could really be dangerous

Indoor66
03-07-2010, 03:46 PM
talked to Mr. Sumner last night at the unc game... he made a great point that this hopefully will put them as the #5,6, or 7 team on the s-curve for the tournament and keep them out of uconn's bracket until the final four.

if they will ONLY make a few more baskets instead of missing open layups (a-la j thomas on the break in the second half today) then they could really be dangerous

We need to use the backboard on some of those layups. It is then a much easier shot.

burnspbesq
03-07-2010, 04:12 PM
My favorite play of the championship game: Vernerey leading the break, right-handed, after a State turnover and making a perfect pass to Jaz for the layup. She's going to be really, really good.

cspan37421
03-07-2010, 07:45 PM
It took an adjustment period, but Coach P has the women playing quite well. On to the big dance - hopefully, they can go far.

Unfortunately, this year, the gap between UConn and the next group is pretty wide. Perhaps though it can be like the men, UNLV, 1991. :cool:

DukieInKansas
03-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Congratulations to the women! Good luck in the NCAA Tournament.

RainingThrees
03-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Congrats ladies!!! And great job by the ACC coach of the year, proving why she earned that title.

burnspbesq
03-07-2010, 11:29 PM
While Coach P surely deserves COY, let's recognize what a fabulous job Kellie Harper did in her fist year at State. She did more with less than any ACC coach (men's or women's) in at least the ten years. When she gets some players, the Wuffies will be back to being a real annoyance.

CameronBornAndBred
03-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Good luck with that...they've been missing those shots for 3 years now.:mad:
Still, they find other ways to win, primarily awesome defense and great rebounding. It doesn't hurt so bad when you miss three 4' shots in a row if you get 3 rebounds as well.

CameronBornAndBred
03-08-2010, 08:10 AM
While Coach P surely deserves COY, let's recognize what a fabulous job Kellie Harper did in her fist year at State. She did more with less than any ACC coach (men's or women's) in at least the ten years. When she gets some players, the Wuffies will be back to being a real annoyance.
Totally agree, I hope her and the Pack do well in the NCAA's. Before Thursday, they were NIT bound; now they should easily have their ticket stamped. Sylvia thinks her tarholes are in, but I wouldn't be so sure. If they hadn't beaten us last week, they wouldn't have a prayer.

jimsumner
03-08-2010, 09:03 AM
No question that State has played its way into the NCAAs. And Harper is a keeper. I know there were lots of folks who wanted State to keep Glance after Kay died and I understand why. But going out of the program to bring in Harper was a GREAT move for a school that hasn't always made great moves in recent years.

The selections will be interresting. In theory, regular-season conference standings are meaningless. But does that really hold in the proverbial smoke-filled room? (I hope they don't still smoke). In other words, do you take 8th-place UNC over 5th place Wake Forest, even though UNC has a much better RPI? I suspect so, but it's going to be controversial either way.

As for lay-ups, all women's teams miss easy lay-ups. I think its the absence of dunks. In essence, everybody is the 5'11", 9th-grade guy with a 24-inch vertical.

Duke wasn't clicking on every cylinder but gutted out three tough wins and got better every night. The most encouraging thing is that the team simply can get better, especially from the line. Vernerey stuggling mightily early in the tourny but seemed to find her stride yesterday. Maybe the freshman yips are gone. Duke imposed its will defensively when it had to.

Jas was an elite player at times and I had no problem voting for her as the tournament MVP. But Karima Christmas wasn't far behind. I've long thought that she had all-star potential. She could be the key in March. And Joy Cheek played quite well, composed, focused, intense. Best of all, she seems to have left behind the dumb fouls that have so long plagued her. I think the team is feeding off her energy.

Remember, Duke will host first-round games on the 20th and 22nd. A full-house should be an attainable goal.

BlueDevilCorvette!
03-08-2010, 09:29 AM
Very proud of the Lady Devils! I wish them much success in the NCAAT. The team appears to have some great chemistry. Also, I love seeing Shay Shelby, she is going to be superb! Hope the team stays focused and just concentrate on one game at a time.

miramar
03-08-2010, 12:40 PM
As for lay-ups, all women's teams miss easy lay-ups. I think its the absence of dunks. In essence, everybody is the 5'11", 9th-grade guy with a 24-inch vertical.

To continue the analogy, like young players the women also make up their minds that they are going to shoot when they attack the basket, and still take the shot even when the defense collapses. On the positive side, their youthful enthusiasm also means that they still tend to listen to their coaches, something that doesn't always happen with the men (especially eight miles down the road).

So the point is well taken.

And of course congratulations to the women, who deserve a lot of support in Cameron this weekend.