PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite things to do in Anchorage

phaedrus
03-07-2010, 12:50 PM
I'm here for the next 9 days. Suggestions? Outdoor attractions, food, drinks, hunting for wolves from helicopters? I'm already planning to see the Iditarod restart today.

Thanks.

sue71, esq
03-07-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm here for the next 9 days. Suggestions? Outdoor attractions, food, drinks, hunting for wolves from helicopters? I'm already planning to see the Iditarod restart today.

Thanks.

Stay warm.

BD80
03-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Look out the front porch at Russia

Jim3k
03-07-2010, 09:58 PM
try the museum

ski at aleyeska

have some drinks at the top of the Achorage Hilton or the Captain Cook

roywhite
03-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Scout the high school basketball scene for the next Trajan Langdon or Carlos Boozer?

Heck, we'd settle for the next Mario Chalmers.

striker219
03-07-2010, 10:26 PM
I hear meth is big in that part of the country.

I'm sorry, I really don't have anything constructive to offer.

hurleyfor3
03-07-2010, 11:51 PM
If you have a whole day, drive down to Seward or Homer. You can go north up the Parks Highway too but south is more scenic and should have better weather this time of year.

Too bad you're not in Fairbanks, which is surrounded by interesting stuff.

hurleyfor3
03-08-2010, 12:25 AM
Also remember that stuff in Alaska in kinda spread out.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=10&pictureid=447

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=10&pictureid=448

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=10&pictureid=449

devildeac
03-08-2010, 01:21 AM
If you'd like a Big Woody, visit the Glacier Brewhouse:

Huge malt and intense fruitiness dominate. No expense is spared with the use of English floor malted barley. Aged in various oak barrels including Jim Beam and Napa Valley wine barrels for a minimum of one year. A true delight. 10.75% alcohol by volume.
*Best of Show, Gold Medal, and Best Alaska Brewed Beer - 1998 Great Alaska Beer Festival.
*Silver Medal - 1999 Great Alaska Beer Festival.
*Silver Medal - 2001 Great Alaska Beer & Barleywine Festival.
*Silver Medal and Best Alaska Brewed Barleywine - 2002 Great Alaska Beer & Barleywine Festival.
*Best of Show, Gold Medal, and Best Alaska Brewed Barleywine - 2004 Great Alaska Beer and Barleywine Festival.
*Gold Medal - 2004 Great American Beer festival, Denver, CO.
*Bronze Medal - 2006 Great Alaska Beer & Barleywine Festival.
*A People's Choice Award - 2008 West Coast Oak Aged Beer Festival, Hayward, CA
* Runner-Up Best Barleywine - 2008 Northwest Brewing News Readers Choice Award
*Gold Medal - 2009 Toronado Barleywine Festival - San Francisco, CA

I have heard that their food is pretty good also.

allenmurray
03-08-2010, 08:42 AM
A trip to Homer, and a visit to Exit Glacier, is well worth the drive.

PensDevil
03-09-2010, 10:41 AM

Huge malt and intense fruitiness dominate. No expense is spared with the use of English floor malted barley. Aged in various oak barrels including Jim Beam and Napa Valley wine barrels for a minimum of one year. A true delight. 10.75% alcohol by volume.
*Best of Show, Gold Medal, and Best Alaska Brewed Beer - 1998 Great Alaska Beer Festival.
*Silver Medal and Best Alaska Brewed Barleywine - 2002 Great Alaska Beer & Barleywine Festival.
*Best of Show, Gold Medal, and Best Alaska Brewed Barleywine - 2004 Great Alaska Beer and Barleywine Festival.

I'll second this one. I had the Beam Scotch Ale (summer 2005). Big on the malt, and so very very smooth. Easily one of my favorite beers I've ever had. If you ask, you may be able to get a tour of their brewing facilities as well.

I can't remember what I ate... but we went back a few times so it must have been good. Good bread made from the spent grains in brewing.

-jk
03-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Alas, the Bird House is no more.

-jk

bundabergdevil
03-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Go fishing! Not the right time of year for the salmon runs but there's plenty of water around. I also second heading down to the Alyeska ski resort or down to Seward for a glacier cruise. The drive alone is worth it. Actually, if you have the time...getting all the way down into the Kenai is a beautiful trip.

You could also just smear yourself with honey and go wandering around the woods.*

bundabergdevil
03-09-2010, 12:20 PM
*Don't do this.

Lavabe
03-14-2010, 09:54 PM

I was there in March 2004 or 2005, and reported my findings in someone else's Anchorage question. I have also explained to devildeac that the grilled salmon with a raspberry coulis can't be beat. Mashed potatoes are solid, as is just about everything in the restaurant.

The beer sampler is absolutely the way to go. Without question one of the best meals I've had in my life.

Cheers,
Lavabe

devildeac
03-14-2010, 10:29 PM
I'll second this one. I had the Beam Scotch Ale (summer 2005). Big on the malt, and so very very smooth. Easily one of my favorite beers I've ever had. If you ask, you may be able to get a tour of their brewing facilities as well.

I can't remember what I ate... but we went back a few times so it must have been good. Good bread made from the spent grains in brewing.

Interested in reviving the "Ymm, Beer" thread?;)

devildeac
03-14-2010, 10:31 PM
I was there in March 2004 or 2005, and reported my findings in someone else's Anchorage question. I have also explained to devildeac that the grilled salmon with a raspberry coulis can't be beat. Mashed potatoes are solid, as is just about everything in the restaurant.

The beer sampler is absolutely the way to go. Without question one of the best meals I've had in my life.

Cheers,
Lavabe

What the heck are you doing here?

Did you get lost?

This must just be some crazietalk...;):rolleyes: