PDA

View Full Version : Positives Going into tournaments

Saratoga2
03-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Please put this into Jumbo's Phase V, if he chooses to put one in at this time.

Last night and actually for the past few weeks the team has shown improvement as it heads into the tournaments. This seems like a good place to think of a new phase for the team, and I have my thoughts about how well the team has improved under the guidance of the coaching staff and what is likely to happen going forward. I prefer to do this with a player by player approach with a few general comments as follows:

1 Health of the team:
The team has avoided catastrophic injuries this year. Of course there have been bruises, sprains and creaky backs and other joints. We are going in to the tournaments as healthy as any team is at this time of year. We have been fortunate to avoid the loss of a key player such as Purdue suffered.

2. General team performance:
During the last 5 game measuring period the defense has been very good from the front line players and the offense efficient. No team wns in the tournaments without solid guard play, and Duke certainly has that.

3 Kyle Singler
After some changes were made to the offense to get Kyle the ball in more favorable conditions, he has really picked up his offensive game. His defense and rebounding remain excellent. He is playing as well as any small forward in the country.

4 Nolan Smith
Nolan has shown the ability to score in bunches and shows determination in getting his points. His defense has been excellent during the end of regular season stretch. My one hope for Nolan and for Jon is they both get a chance to rest during the early tournament games, so their offense continues to be solid at the end of games. We have a sub in Dawkins who can hold the fort to allow for a little rest at times.

5.Jon Scheyer
Jon is the steadying influence on the team. He is very good with the ball as well know and will get his points and defend at a high level. Perhaps the one area of concern is his shooting percentage, which hasn't come along during the last 5 games.

6. Brian Zoubek
Brian his to prominence in the front court was unforseen by me. He has been a rebounding terror, has altered or blocked many shots and assisted with screens, passing and hedging in a new and favorable way. He is even showing the ability to get some points. His improved play seems to stem from starting and from staying out of foul trouble. His play is making the team a lot more formidable going into the tournament.

7.Lance Thomas
Lance has made himself a better player over a longer period of time than Brian and does the dirty work of defending, blocking out and rebounding. His remaining issue is he fouls more often than he should and can have to sit for significant periods of the game.

8. Andre Dawkins
During the past 5 games it has been evident that coach K is gaining in his trust and appreciation of Andre's play. His defense has improved quite a bit and with it, his scoring seems finally to be returning. It is a good time for that, since he is a player who can give the big three a rest from time to time, without losing too much in offense or defense.

9. Miles Plumlee
In gerneral, it is nice to say that we have 3 big men to sub in for either Brian or Lance. Miles is strong and athletic and works hard on defense. Unfortunately, neither he or the other bigs are giving us much on offense and are often out of position on defense. Coach K pulled the Plumlees in one learning moment when they weren't getting back. Miles has what it takes to be an excellent player, but he has yet to really have the lightbulb come on fully.

10. Mason Plumlee
He is strong, athletic and has a lot of skill. Even more than Miles, he is having difficulty with defense and needs to pick up the intensity. Get back quicker, stop reaching and so on. He has a ton of talent and could easily play a big role in the tournament.

11. Ryan Kelly
Ryan is a thinking player out there and doesn't make as many overt mistakes as the Plumlees, however he too is young and perhaps lacks in strength, since coach K has him down on the end of the big man sub list at this point. Next year he will be a critical part of the team and it is good to see him progressing. He may well have a role, paticularly in the early tournament games.

In general, I see us as a very good if not a dominant team. We should advance in the ACC tournament to the title game and have a good chance of winning it all. We also should advance to the sweet 16 in the NCAAs and then face teams we will have a good chance of beating to move forward. With the right matchups and a little luck this could be a final four team or better.