PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match - UNC at Duke

strawbs
03-07-2010, 12:18 AM
No man of the match tonight? And why is this board so dead? We just destroyed unc by 30+. I know they aren't good this year, but still.

moonpie23
03-07-2010, 12:21 AM
i think everyone has been so tense all day that they've gone to bed....i know i'm beat, but i'm having too much fun reading IC...

WHY OH WHY did i get banned before tonight.....

lol

mike88
03-07-2010, 12:21 AM
Very hard to pick a MotM for this game. Jon, Nolan, Kyle and Brian all played great; everyone else played well. How about we give the award to the team for this game? They are one of the best Duke teams in my memory in terms of working together and playing better than the sum of their parts.

OldSchool
03-07-2010, 12:28 AM
The upperclassmen all played great.

I have to say how impressive it was to have 7 assists and no turnovers playing in such an emotional game on Senior Day, with the regular season championship on the line, against the Holes whom the seniors had not previously beaten at Cameron - Jon Scheyer.

Bob Green
03-07-2010, 12:30 AM
i think everyone has been so tense all day that they've gone to bed....

I benefitted from the game starting at 11 am in my time zone. Of course, I was up at 4 am watching Syracuse lose to Louisville (unfortunately).

An as an aside, and I realize I'm opening up Pandora's Box and the whole Generation Gap thing but the constant use of "lol" by the IM generation is infuriating. "lol" provides zero utility to any conversation.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-07-2010, 12:36 AM
I vote for the starters as MOTM! They all played most outstandingly!

Jackson
03-07-2010, 12:47 AM
Kyle was money tonight in the first half. You know, it's always funny how people say that you can throw out the records for Duke-Carolina...but that's only when Duke isn't as highly ranked as the Holes. Kerlina showed no heart at all tonight. What a satisfying feeling...totally makes me forget the game against the Turtles the other night.

SCMatt33
03-07-2010, 12:53 AM
I has to be Scheyer. 7-0 A/TO to go along with his 20 points plus five rebounds to boot, all on his senior night.

-bdbd
03-07-2010, 12:55 AM
I wish I could vote for all of the starters. It was just a magical night, and all 5 should be very, very proud. Alas I had to pick one and so it was the unstoppable Kyle, but easily have been Jon, or Nolan or Zoubs, or even Lance contributing great D and energy. Maybe my MOTM should actually be Hubert Davis on ESPN Gameday for predicting NC@CH to win. Buwahahaha!!!! :confused:

Lord Ash
03-07-2010, 12:56 AM
I has to be Scheyer. 7-0 A/TO to go along with his 20 points plus five rebounds to boot, all on his senior night.

Agreed, although Nolan and Kyle played FANTASTIC games.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-07-2010, 12:56 AM
I wish I could vote for all of the starters. It was just a magical night, and all 5 should be very, very proud. Alas I had to pick one and so it was the unstoppable Kyle, but easily have been Jon, or Nolan or Zoubs, or even Lance contributing great D and energy. Maybe my MOTM should actually be Hubert Davis on ESPN Gameday for predicting NC@CH to win. Buwahahaha!!!! :confused:
I too voted for Kyle. :cool:

hotbutteredseoul
03-07-2010, 01:01 AM
I'm going to miss the sight of Jon Scheyer in Cameron.

VaDukie
03-07-2010, 01:14 AM
I couldn't make up my mind so I cast my first sentimental vote ever tonight - I gave it to LT for his last home game. It's hard to imagine Cameron without LT.

On to Greensboro!

MChambers
03-07-2010, 08:08 AM
I voted for Brian, because his defense and rebounding were tremendous, but I strongly considered voting for Jordan Davidson, based on his wonderful strip of Henson in the final minutes.

camion
03-07-2010, 08:54 AM
I voted for Jon, but wanted to give it to the entire starting five. Just a lovely game.

I also considered a write-in for Ol' Roy. His coaching greatly facilitated the beat-down.

JD79
03-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Would someone tell me how Scheyer did not have a recorded turnover last night yet on the first play of the game he came down the court and threw the ball away to Carolina? How is that not a turnover?

The same thing happened a few games ago and there must be a stricter definition of a turnover than I know about. Thanks.

4decadedukie
03-07-2010, 09:38 AM
Without trying to be indecisive, I can only wish I could vote for "Duke Basketball." Kyle and Nolan had superb games, Jon’s leadership, savvy, and skills were -- as always -- outstanding, Lance's play (especially defensively) was excellent, Brain dominated the glass (and added a good deal more), the remaining players made great contributions (beyond yesterday's 40 minutes in Cameron), our coaches led and mentored this team to an unanticipated level of proficiency and solidarity, and Dukies worldwide supported the overall effort. This is exactly why college basketball s a TEAM SPORT, and why Duke seems frequently to exceed the apparent "talent level" of its players.

Just as important, it is also the precise reason UNC-CH has failed so humiliatingly this season: with good -- if not fantastic -- talent, with a fan-base, coaching, and university support that is enviable, and as the reigning national champion, the Heels never coalesced or really functioned as a TEAM. Rather, they continue to play like very talented individuals -- all focused on showcasing their own abilities and potential -- in a summer AAU league.

Here's to the aggregate DUKE TEAM, the winners of the ACC regular season, likely #1 NCAA seed, who simply dominated Carolina last night.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Would someone tell me how Scheyer did not have a recorded turnover last night yet on the first play of the game he came down the court and threw the ball away to Carolina? How is that not a turnover?

It was definitely a turnover, but maybe they gave it to the pass receiver for a fumble instead of the passer? :confused: I thought it was a TO on Jon, but what do I know? :eek:

BigZ
03-07-2010, 10:12 AM
I had to vote for Lance b/c I loved the way he ended his career. Knowing he had only 1 foul left and putting Henson on his I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. was awesome.

basket1544
03-07-2010, 10:35 AM

The same thing happened a few games ago and there must be a stricter definition of a turnover than I know about. Thanks.

That turnover went to Lance who was supposed to catch that pass. (Although I for one would call that an uncatchable pass)

greybeard
03-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Anybody but me think that Kyle has been playing like a first team All American lately? If he keeps this up, and duke goes deep, I think he is gone. I think that he just might have played his last game at Cameron.

The guy has been showing great diversity in his game, the mid range game has arrived. It will get better but it is here and he is very efficient with it. He is making plays all over the place on the boards, defense, loose boards, blocking attempted dunks.

There is something special about Kyle that I don't know that I have seen so on the surface with any other athlete. He just relaxes and smiles and seems in complete bliss the tighter things get. Even on a particular play. The better his defender, the more obstacles the defense puts up, the wheels both in his head and feet become engaged and he is almost childlike if he wasn't so lethal. Been a pleasure to watch you Kyle. A real pleasure.

MChambers
03-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Anybody but me think that Kyle has been playing like a first team All American lately? If he keeps this up, and duke goes deep, I think he is gone. I think that he just might have played his last game at Cameron.

The guy has been showing great diversity in his game, the mid range game has arrived. It will get better but it is here and he is very efficient with it. He is making plays all over the place on the boards, defense, loose boards, blocking attempted dunks.

There is something special about Kyle that I don't know that I have seen so on the surface with any other athlete. He just relaxes and smiles and seems in complete bliss the tighter things get. Even on a particular play. The better his defender, the more obstacles the defense puts up, the wheels both in his head and feet become engaged and he is almost childlike if he wasn't so lethal. Been a pleasure to watch you Kyle. A real pleasure.

He's playing great, but there is no real need to speculate now as to whether he'll be back next year. Just enjoy watching him play.

dukejim1
03-07-2010, 11:21 AM
because of his tremendous effort on defense, loose balls and taking it to the basket. But I gave a runner-up vote for Lance for his fouling out with a message foul to Henson after his woofing following his slam. He went out on his senior night like he always did, giving one for the team.

greybeard
03-07-2010, 11:30 AM
He's playing great, but there is no real need to speculate now as to whether he'll be back next year. Just enjoy watching him play.

Good point!

JDev
03-07-2010, 11:38 AM
I went with Kyle. He got 19 of his 25 in the first half, and was probably the biggest contributor in blowing the game open before the break. Scheyer, though, was great in his Cameron curtain call, getting 20 points, 7 assists, and no turnovers.

CDu
03-07-2010, 01:27 PM
I went with Scheyer, but only because I could only choose one player. Really, I wouldn't have been offended by a pick of Singler either. And Smith and Zoubek were very close behind those two.

How about Zoubek though? He's averaging 7.3 ppg, 11.3 rpg, 1.1 apg, 1.3 spg, and 1.1 bpg in the last 7 games, and he's really only had one clunker in the bunch (@UVa). It's just fantastic that he's finally finding himself out there - avoiding the cheap fouls that limited his minutes, and making big plays instead. He's had either double-digit points or double-digit rebounds (or both) in 6 of the last 7 games. He's really made himself a presence, and we're a much better team for it.

MChambers
03-07-2010, 01:30 PM
I went with Scheyer, but only because I could only choose one player. Really, I wouldn't have been offended by a pick of Singler either. And Smith and Zoubek were very close behind those two.

How about Zoubek though? He's averaging 7.3 ppg, 11.3 rpg, 1.1 apg, 1.3 spg, and 1.1 bpg in the last 7 games, and he's really only had one clunker in the bunch (@UVa). It's just fantastic that he's finally finding himself out there - avoiding the cheap fouls that limited his minutes, and making big plays instead. He's had either double-digit points or double-digit rebounds (or both) in 6 of the last 7 games. He's really made himself a presence, and we're a much better team for it.

It's really interesting to see Zoubs get rid of his Shav Randolph disease, where a Duke big is called for a foul for breathing. I really hope that continues in the NCAA tournament. (I'd also like for Miles to learn from Brian on that.)

weezie
03-07-2010, 03:17 PM

Been a pleasure to watch you Kyle. A real pleasure.

My sentiments exactly. He's got a great basketball brain even if the draft projections are sleeping on him. LA, Houston, he'll be a fine fit. Watching him this year, his maturity increasing with each game...wow.
We are going to sorely miss him, whenever he leaves.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-07-2010, 03:21 PM

Hopefully if we win a championship I will have no problem if kyle decides to go, or at least a final four, if not HE NEEDS TO STAY!!!!!!

jjasper0729
03-07-2010, 06:17 PM
That turnover went to Lance who was supposed to catch that pass. (Although I for one would call that an uncatchable pass)

the turnover went to lance because the pass hit him in the hands and he should have caught it. peyton manning was throwing it, not matt leinart ;).

(couldn't resist the comparison since leinart was sitting behind me last night)