View Full Version : MBB: Duke 82, UNC 50 Post-Game Thread

pfrduke
03-06-2010, 11:03 PM
"They demolish Carolina" -- Dan Schulman

Discuss, and exult! :D

Newton_14
03-06-2010, 11:04 PM
WOOOOOHHOOOOOOOOOOOO

Consider the Demons Exorcised and sent to the depths of HELL!!!!

Way to go Duke!!!!!

9F9F9F!!!

JohnGalt
03-06-2010, 11:06 PM
yall see Henson talkin' smack to Miles after he dunked on him?

....to bring his team up from 28 to 26 down

baahahaha

GO TO HELL CAROLINA

DevilHorns
How poetic was it for the big 3 to hit the first 3 triples in the beginning of the game?

So damn beautiful.

wilko
AHHHHHH.
.... I need a cigarette after that...

Wildling
I can't stop smiling :D

DukeUsul
03-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Life has returned to normal.

arnie
More fun than crushing a Doh team.

OldSchool
How sweeeeeet it is!!!!!

dukelion
for at least pulling Henson right after the smack talk.......geez down 30 and talking smack.

Glad Miles got some revenge with that last alley oop.

mgtr
It was a great night for the seniors, and a great night overall!

Newton_14
03-06-2010, 11:09 PM

baahahaha

GO TO HELL CAROLINA

And I will give Roy credit for the first time this year. He immediately took Inspector Gadget out of the game after that. What an idiot. You get a dunk on a broken play in a game where you are getting killed and you decide to talk smack???? Go To Hell Carolina Go To Hell

David
03-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Loved the entire team's reaction to Miles' slam. Great stuff.

What a beautiful final game in Cameron for our seniors.

Saratoga2
03-06-2010, 11:12 PM
After watching Duke demolish a weak Carolina team, what comes to my mind is that it really is becoming the big 4 out there as Zoubek hass become an essential part of the team with Thomas not far behind in terms of value.

I thought Singler has a great game with Smith having one of his best games as well. Scheyer played well but his shooting was definitely off tonight. Zoubek though had 13 rebounds, 8 points on 4 for 4 and numerous altered shots with a couple of blocks.

The defense with the starting 5 in the game was really solid. While the Plumlees both played hard, I think they only got 2 points between them, were not defending well and gave up quite a few fouls. We need them to up their games, but maybe it won't happen this year.

Dawkins looked fine again.

I really enjoy this team and hope the best for them in the tourney. The recruits at the game tonight got an eyeful.

somf4eva
03-06-2010, 11:14 PM
so which recruits were there? Where were they sitting?

strawbs
03-06-2010, 11:15 PM
thank you seniors!

DevilHorns
03-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Whats up with Kelly not getting as much playing time lately? (I realize he did get some garbage time this game...)

Maybe its all attributable to Z's improvement.

Anyone know what happened after Miles' dunk? I saw the ref calling a travel? Bizarre.

Billy Dat
03-06-2010, 11:16 PM
That's the most enjoyable 32 point beatdown I have ever watched.

Aside from Carolina looking terrible, we really looked great.

The Big 3 got us rolling, Zoubek played great, Lance was his usual very good self, I felt like Miles took a big step forward on defense, Dawkins looked confident, Mason got more experience and seemed less nervous.

On to Greensboro.

sivartrenrag
Anyone know where we can see the senior speeches?

DukeGirl4ever
I'll give Roy credit for another thing: stopping to say something nice to the seniors during the after-game hand shake.

Dukie4Life
03-06-2010, 11:17 PM
I couldn't be more excited and proud to be a Duke fan right now! To see 4 seniors play for 4 years and the seniors coming together to lead this team to a victory against the tarheels was great!

They showed the clip that Roy said how could it get worse....well Roy it just did...they are discussing UNC as a bubble team for the NIT.... I didn't realize that conversation even existed!

I was also excited to see and hear that Nolan said screw it all I'm back next year. I see what 4 years can do for me! Kyle we need you and you need Duke!!!

Thanks to Jon, Lance, Brian and Jordan! You deserve this!

Go Duke and GTHCGTH!!!!

dukelifer
All is now right with the world- the basketball gods have righted the wrong. I could not imagine a blowout this dominating- and not sure I have ever seen one in this rivalry this one-sided. Carolina was never in the game at any moment- never made a real run. Amazing. Time to celebrate- get some deserved rest and prepare for the ACC tourney.

Lord Ash
"They demolish Carolina" -- Dan Schulman

My favorite line of the night:) Second place? Comparing Brian Zoubek to Dr. J. Good stuff!

I saw at least Kyrie and Josh behind the Duke bench... anyone else have a firsthand on who was there?

That "Carolina is Terrible" clip was really, really brutal... cannot remember ever seeing a piece like that on a team that is doing badly.

Billy Dat
so which recruits were there? Where were they sitting?

I saw Irving and one of the other recruits (Hairston) directly behind the bench.

UrinalCake
Anyone know where we can see the senior speeches?

Go to http://www.espntriangle.com/ and click on the "Listen Live" link under 620 the buzz

(edit: can listen only, no video)

DevilHorns
03-06-2010, 11:18 PM
I'll give Roy credit for another thing: stopping to say something nice to the seniors during the after-game hand shake.

Yea I think he mouthed "Its been a pleasure to watch you for 4 years" or something like that to Jon

mike88
03-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Great game- everyone played well overall
Great, undefeated season at home- best ever 17-0!
ACC regular season championship and 26-5
Looking forward to next weekend!

cptnflash
03-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Most difficult decision now will be how many times to rewatch on ESPN 360 before going to bed. Probably at least twice!

Billy Dat
03-06-2010, 11:22 PM
ACC REGULAR SEASON CO-CHAMPS!

That's a first for these guys, let's keep it rolling!

sivartrenrag
03-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Go to http://www.espntriangle.com/ and click on the "Listen Live" link under 620 the buzz

(edit: can listen only, no video)

Thanks! Has it started yet? It's in commercial break right now - I'm guessing they haven't given the speeches yet. I just don't want to miss them.

Jon, Brian, Lance, Jordan: Thanks for the memories!

SoCalDukeFan
03-06-2010, 11:26 PM
They should get an easier match up in the ACC-Big 10 shootout next year.

SoCal

UrinalCake
03-06-2010, 11:29 PM
Thanks! Has it started yet? It's in commercial break right now - I'm guessing they haven't given the speeches yet. I just don't want to miss them.

Unfortunately they're over. Not sure if these will be archived anywhere.

Each of the players thanked their families, teammates, and the fans. Jon said it's been an amazing ride but they're not done. Brian thanked his girlfriend for her support and that got quite a reaction from the crowd; most of the guys probably started looking for her.

It was great to see the emotion all night, and for the recruits to see what they will be or can be a part of.

DevilHorns
03-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Jon Scheyer on the radio right now!

Highlights:

He said at half he was mad at himself for missing his assignment on Ginyard and leaving him open for that 3.

Zoubek is a monster. "He gets me easy shots every game."

"We can't have a hangover from this game."

"Enjoy tonight, but we need to move on."

"We want to put banners up. We have a bunch of more goals."

Dr. Tina
03-06-2010, 11:34 PM
I'm so proud of our guys! We came out on fire with our defense and The Big 3 hitting 3's automatically. Kyle and Nolan were so good for us in the first half! They reached their season averages in the first half alone, and I think their play really took the pressure off our seniors. It allowed them to get their bearings emotionally and focus on the game.

Kyle with 25 pts, 2 assists, 2 turnovers, 2 rebounds

Jon with 20 pts, 7 assists, 0 turnovers, and 5 rebounds

Nolan with 20 pts, 5 assists, 0 turnovers, 1 steal, and 4 rebounds

Zoubs with 8 pts, 1 assists, 2 turnovers, 2 blocks, and 13 rebounds

New school record at home...17-0...such an accomplishment for these guys!

What an AWESOME Senior Night for Jon, Lance, Zoubs, and Jordan!!! THANK YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-06-2010, 11:35 PM
I found it kind of fitting that Lance's last play in CIS was a defensive play.

strawbs
03-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Brian thanked his girlfriend for her support and that got quite a reaction from the crowd; most of the guys probably started looking for her.

have you seen her!?! zoubek landed himself a trophy!

I think the only thing that could top this game, would be doing the exact same thing to maryland in the acc championship

Relics
03-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Best College Gameday halftime report ever. Two stat sheets destroyed. Hats exchanged.

Does anyone know where I can find the Bob Harris call of the game to download or stream?

roywhite
03-06-2010, 11:37 PM
In Coach K's postgame comments, he mentioned how nervous he was during the day, just wanting so much for the seniors to go out with a win. This group is really close to the Coach's heart; clearly a special experience and a special year ....with more to come!

sagegrouse
03-06-2010, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by ChicagoHeel: Exactly. With no disrespect intended, Duke played hard, but didn't play that great- none of the big three shot lights out and other than Zoubek you had no significant contributions from anyone else and you still won by thirty. We are just so woefully bad it's hard to comprehend.

Works for me!

sagegrouse
'Not "endangered," but merely a "candidate species" for becoming endangered according to Interior Secretary Ken Salazar'

mapei
03-06-2010, 11:39 PM
My favorite sign: "Get Your Life Together" :)

JBDuke
03-06-2010, 11:40 PM
In Coach K's postgame comments, he mentioned how nervous he was during the day, just wanting so much for the seniors to go out with a win. This group is really close to the Coach's heart; clearly a special experience and a special year ....with more to come!

In the pre-game, and apparently when talking to the crazies last night, he compared this team to his '86 team - something Mickey noted that he'd never done before. I think this one is pretty special to him.

Saratoga2
03-06-2010, 11:41 PM
With such a strong crew at Cameron to do college game day, the game wound up being called by Schulman and Vitale. I don't remember Vitale giving a single commentary on the game being played. With Bobby Knight there, we had the best color man doing college ball right now, and they sat him in the trailer. Sorry to take a sour tack on such a great night, but it just pisses me off that Vitale would be given this game.

DukeSean
03-06-2010, 11:42 PM

Yea I couldn't stop laughing after I saw that one

JBDuke
03-06-2010, 11:42 PM

Mine was "Eight miles isn't very far to go, except when you're crying the whole way."

dairedevil
03-06-2010, 11:44 PM
With such a strong crew at Cameron to do college game day, the game wound up being called by Schulman and Vitale. I don't remember Vitale giving a single commentary on the game being played. With Bobby Knight there, we had the best color man doing college ball right now, and they sat him in the trailer. Sorry to take a sour tack on such a great night, but it just pisses me off that Vitale would be given this game.

How much fun was it to hear Knight say at halftime something like, " but there are two things on the stat sheet that carolina is leading duke on. They've got more turnovers and more fouls!" Cracked me up!!!

roywhite
03-06-2010, 11:44 PM

Yeah, I went to the mute button several times, but fortunately this game did not take much analysis. Blow-out city, baby!

Buzzy Duke
03-06-2010, 11:45 PM
That was a great sign. Couldn't stop lauging at that one.

Does anyone know if the Senior speeches can be viewed on-line somewhere?

fisheyes
03-06-2010, 11:46 PM
The Presby fan was there!

http://http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/gamecenter/recap/NCAAB_20100306_NC@DUKE/blowout-duke-records-largest-home-win-over-rival-north-carolina?tag=headlines;collegebasketball

King, who told the Associated Press that he grew up a Duke fan, said he was invited by a group of Cameron Crazies and showed up -- wearing a Presbyterian T-shirt, no less -- because he thought things had cooled off enough after the much-publicized flap eight miles down the road at the Smith Center.

3rd Dukie
03-06-2010, 11:46 PM

I didn't want to say anything, but this was my thought as well.
What a total doofus!
Knight is the best, and Vitale, even more senile than ever, is the absolute worst!!

However, this is not the story of the night: the giant win for the seniors is.
Great going, guys. I am very happy for you.

Dr. Tina
03-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Best College Gameday halftime report ever. Two stat sheets destroyed. Hats exchanged.

Does anyone know where I can find the Bob Harris call of the game to download or stream?

Did they rip up the two stat sheets because UNC was getting blown out so bad??? Hahahahahaha!

The hat exchange was pretty funny! I thought Coach Knight looked like he was about to hunting for quail or something.

Bob Green
03-06-2010, 11:50 PM
I taped the game and I'm extremely happy right now so I've broken out my Beatles CDs to go completely classic - watching the greatest college basketball team of all time destroy Carolina while listening to the greatest rock-n-roll band of all time! (with the added bonus of not having to listen to Dickie V. talk about everything except the action on the court)

And, of course, I continue to enjoy an adult beverage or two or three or I lost count!

SoCalDukeFan
03-06-2010, 11:51 PM
Duke played great. It is a great night to be Duke Alum and fan.

However, how bad is UNC-CH? In my opinion they were not even competing.

dukeblue1206
03-06-2010, 11:52 PM
Best stat of the night for me is this. If Duke did not score a single point in the 2nd half, they still would have won by 3...OUCH!!

Dr. Tina
03-06-2010, 11:52 PM
Mine was "Eight miles isn't very far to go, except when you're crying the whole way."

I 2nd this one! Made me laugh out loud!

Chris4UNC
03-06-2010, 11:53 PM

baahahaha

GO TO HELL CAROLINA

Yea, probably a response to some junk Miles had been saying to him. Nevertheless given the beating Duke was putting on UNC after 4 years of frustration Henson should have said nothing.

DevilHorns
03-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Carolina did not make one run the whole game. That is insane. They absolutely at no point in the game had anything going for them.

At sometimes we were hot, other times we were cold, but they were absolutely snow flurries the entire friggin game. Unbelievable.

Absolutely no adjustments in the game were made. No change in defensive strategy or offensive play calling. I cant believe it.

roywhite
03-06-2010, 11:54 PM
watching the greatest college basketball team of all time destroy Carolina while listening to the greatest rock-n-roll band of all time!
And, of course, I continue to enjoy an adult beverage or two or three or I lost count!

Cheers to you, Bob, and the other faithful posters here. Always a pleasure to beat the Heels, and this is a really special Duke team. We're lucky to have this coach and this team represent our University.

DevilHorns
03-06-2010, 11:55 PM
Yea, probably a response to some junk Miles had been saying to him. Nevertheless given the beating Duke was putting on UNC after 4 years of frustration Henson should have said nothing.

Miles was in the game literally 2 minutes. Dont try and flip this on Miles. I honestly dont care if Henson wanted to talk smack. I like it when players talk smack. Its just stupid to talk smack for any reason at all when you are down by nearly 30

Chris4UNC
03-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Best stat of the night for me is this. If Duke did not score a single point in the 2nd half, they still would have won by 3...OUCH!!

It just proves how far downhill the Heels have went not just from the last several years but just from the start of the season. Even with the strong start against a tough schedule I knew that light at the end of the tunnel was a train. I expected several losses but such bad play never occured to me.

Chris4UNC
03-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Miles was in the game literally 2 minutes. Dont try and flip this on Miles. I honestly dont care if Henson wanted to talk smack. I like it when players talk smack. Its just stupid to talk smack for any reason at all when you are down by nearly 30

Agreed. Maybe he was just happy something went right for them finally.....or surprised.

hotbutteredseoul
03-06-2010, 11:59 PM
Wooooooooooooooooooooooo!

DevilHorns
03-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Agreed. Maybe he was just happy something went right for them finally.....or surprised.

I really hope Henson goes pro. Do you know if he is considering it? In my eyes hes the only good thing Carolina has in terms of possible returning talent (that is of course if Davis goes, which I think he will).

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-07-2010, 12:02 AM
I really hope Henson goes pro. Do you know if he is considering it? In my eyes hes the only good thing Carolina has in terms of possible returning talent (that is of course if Davis goes, which I think he will).

Strickland has shown some potential, but yea i agree.

roywhite
03-07-2010, 12:02 AM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204903142

Studying the boxscore is kind of academic in a blow-out, but some stats I enjoyed:

UNC made only 1 3-pointer; we totally took Will Graves out of the game
Duke was 22-23 from the FT line
Zoubs 4-4 FG, 13 rebs, 2 blocks
Only 9 turnovers for Duke
Jon Scheyer---20 pts, 7 assists, 0 turnovers

DukeGirl4ever
03-07-2010, 12:03 AM
How much fun was it to hear Knight say at halftime something like, " but there are two things on the stat sheet that carolina is leading duke on. They've got more turnovers and more fouls!" Cracked me up!!!

He was HILARIOUS at half time! Then they talked about how he and Digger could star in Grumpy Old Men. The half time show was almost as enjoyable as the beat down!

And, go figure, Mr. Laugh Out Loud Constantly, Hubert Davis, picked UNC to win that game....seriously?

Chris4UNC
03-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Carolina did not make one run the whole game. That is insane. They absolutely at no point in the game had anything going for them.

At sometimes we were hot, other times we were cold, but they were absolutely snow flurries the entire friggin game. Unbelievable.

Absolutely no adjustments in the game were made. No change in defensive strategy or offensive play calling. I cant believe it.

That is what has frustrated Tar Heel fans all year and confused students of the game all year. Why has Roy Williams not changed his scheme. I know he wants these new kids to buy into it but at some point you may need to change things up a bit. Maybe he did and to my non-coach mind I could not tell but it just looked all season like a team struggling with his offensive set. That was true even when they beat top 10 / 20 teams like Michigan St. and Ohio State. They almost blew each game due to shaky offensive play.

Bob Green
03-07-2010, 12:05 AM
The half time show was almost as enjoyable as the beat down!

Sacrilege! The halftime show wasn't even close to being as enjoyable as the beat down. Halftime is when you make a head call and grab another beer.

elvis14
03-07-2010, 12:06 AM
Sweet win. UNC is hapless. The game was just great. The halftime show was great. Glad Dickie V was doing the game, it's just right when the Holes are in town. Roy Williams has done and continues to do a terrible job of coaching this team and I'm McLovin' every minute of it. Every player contributed something. I could go on and on, what a great game for Duke.

Ever try to remember back 5 or more years at how UNC would play in CIS without HansCheater's refs? Now you know! 9F

Chris4UNC
03-07-2010, 12:07 AM
He was HILARIOUS at half time! Then they talked about how he and Digger could star in Grumpy Old Men. The half time show was almost as enjoyable as the beat down!

And, go figure, Mr. Laugh Out Loud Constantly, Hubert Davis, picked UNC to win that game....seriously?

Hubert has at least on the air refused to admit Carolina was just horrible this year. Even when they were winning and beating top 20 teams at the start of the season I knew it was all going to fall apart. Hubert as a former Tar Heel player and a member of some very successful teams I guess is just doing his job in supporting his alma mater. BUT REALLY....he must be crazy.

AluminumDuke
03-07-2010, 12:08 AM
Why has Roy Williams not changed his scheme. I know he wants these new kids to buy into it but at some point you may need to change things up a bit.

I don't know, but he did coach his heart out. Dickie V told me so (about 5 times).

CDu
03-07-2010, 12:12 AM
That felt good. My biggest concern was that we'd struggle offensively and give UNC enough confidence to win a low-scoring game. The hot start basically took away any chance of that. Once we got out early, it was done. I'm happy for the seniors to go out with a win at home. Good for them. Now let's go get three more wins next week!

DukeGirl4ever
Sacrilege! The halftime show wasn't even close to being as enjoyable as the beat down. Halftime is when you make a head call and grab another beer.

Consider I did neither of those, I watched half time (can't really drink with surgery looming ahead...blah!)

My key word was ALMOST...I must have been in a pretty good mood about the first half because I literally laughed out loud during the entire half time analysis. Good stuff. I want to attend Bob Knight's School of Sarcasm! LOVE IT!

Chris4UNC
Sweet win. UNC is hapless. The game was just great. The halftime show was great. Glad Dickie V was doing the game, it's just right when the Holes are in town. Roy Williams has done and continues to do a terrible job of coaching this team and I'm McLovin' every minute of it. Every player contributed something. I could go on and on, what a great game for Duke.

Ever try to remember back 5 or more years at how UNC would play in CIS without HansCheater's refs? Now you know! 9F

HansCheater's??? Ok, bad calls are made that go against both teams but I don't think it is cheating. Hapless is a great description. I watched them play tonight and it was just so bad. They have no chemistry. Next year may be better but Roy is going to have to find a different way to coach this group or plug some of the new recruits right into starting positions. I think he has coached his heart out this year but he just needs to realize these kids are going to have to run a different scheme in order to be successful.

dball
03-07-2010, 12:13 AM

Loved it. What a satisfying beat down!

Dr. Tina
03-07-2010, 12:14 AM
I also couldn't help but notice that at the 8 minutes and change mark of the 2nd half...Roy had still only used 1 time out! He is just as much to blame for their horrible season as the players he keeps throwing under the bus in his public statements.

I'm so happy and relieved we have Coach K and NOT Huckleberry Hound!

strawbs
03-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Hubert has at least on the air refused to admit Carolina was just horrible this year. Even when they were winning and beating top 20 teams at the start of the season I knew it was all going to fall apart. Hubert as a former Tar Heel player and a member of some very successful teams I guess is just doing his job in supporting his alma mater. BUT REALLY....he must be crazy.

I'm going to assume that espn has urged him to pick UNC on some occasions, especially today, just because having 4 analysts pick the same way doesn't make for real great television

Bob Green
03-07-2010, 12:15 AM
My key word was ALMOST...

Okay, you got me there.

PallasAthena
03-07-2010, 12:17 AM
The first half, that is. Duke was unbelievable at both ends of the floor.

My favorite sign: "Welcome to Zoubekistan."

Christian Laettner was there with his children, including a daughter wearing a #32 Duke jersey. :D

The crowd, upstairs and downstairs, was terrific.

The way we honor the seniors is just right, and then THEY HONORED US, big time.

What a thrill.

DukeGirl4ever
I think he has coached his heart out this year but he just needs to realize these kids are going to have to run a different scheme in order to be successful.

K, tell me what you think of this statement then...
Just because you "coach your heart out" and are passionate, doesn't make you a good coach.

And, just because you know the X's and O's, that doesn't make you a good coach either.

Ol' Roy was missing something this year and thank God I didn't watch enough UNC games (just 3) to be able to pin point the problem, so he may have coached his heart out, but he didn't do a good job coaching, IMO.

Chris4UNC
I'm going to assume that espn has urged him to pick UNC on some occasions, especially today, just because having 4 analysts pick the same way doesn't make for real great television

That is as good a guess as any. Maybe he did it just to rib Bilas, who knows?

DukeGirl4ever
03-07-2010, 12:18 AM
Okay, you got me there.
:D
I can't wait to watch it 5 times again tomorrow to see if I stand behind my "almost" statement...being on Cloud 9 makes people giddy!

KShip21
03-07-2010, 12:20 AM
Did anyone else gets chills and instantly even more hyped when Zoubs grabbed that board with 1:06 left in the first half? He was screaming like an animal and throwing tarheels off of him with flying elbows. I rewinded that play at east 10 times during halftime, and I had the same reaction each time. That and the scream on the blocked shot.

Andre Buckner Fan
03-07-2010, 12:21 AM
My favorite sign: "Welcome to Zoubekistan."

My Favorite Sign "Amateur Hour" or "Say UNCle"

DukeGirl4ever
03-07-2010, 12:23 AM
Did anyone else gets chills and instantly even more hyped when Zoubs grabbed that board with 1:06 left in the first half? He was screaming like an animal and throwing tarheels off of him with flying elbows. I rewinded that play at east 10 times during halftime, and I had the same reaction each time. That and the scream on the blocked shot.

He's got a little Swagger right now and I'm loving that! This team needs a little bit of added swagger beyond what they already have. You know, just a little bit of cockiness...they've got confidence, but I want to see a little bit of 'tude!

Chris4UNC
03-07-2010, 12:24 AM
The Tar Heels simply were stomped tonight. Duke's defense made Carolina's offensive woes even more apparent. To tell you the truth this 16-15 season feels worse than 8-20 did. At least with the 8-20 team you could see some offensive cohesion. And some of those guys stuck around and won a national title in 2005. Why do I bring that up? I just don't think this group could ever see a title.

mgtr
03-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Since it is senior night, we shower our adulation on them. But I think the man of the match was the entire Duke starting five. They all made significant contributions, many of which don't show up on the stat sheet.
Dawkins came in and played some positive minutes. Miles Plumlee was very active, though often out of control. But he had a very satisfactory alley-oop. Mason played, but nothing he did stands out to me. Dawkins played well - a three and a driving two. He will be good next year.

Chris4UNC
03-07-2010, 12:26 AM
He's got a little Swagger right now and I'm loving that! This team needs a little bit of added swagger beyond what they already have. You know, just a little bit of cockiness...they've got confidence, but I want to see a little bit of 'tude!

That was a good show of strength. However what I enjoyed the most was my buddy who is a Duke fan sitting across from me in silence after that play. Why? He always swears Duke players don't throw elbows or play in such a, how does he say it, classless way.

Chris4UNC
03-07-2010, 12:28 AM
Since it is senior night, we shower our adulation on them. But I think the man of the match was the entire Duke starting five. They all made significant contributions, many of which don't show up on the stat sheet.
Dawkins came in and played some positive minutes. Miles Plumlee was very active, though often out of control. But he had a very satisfactory alley-oop. Mason played, but nothing he did stands out to me. Dawkins played well - a three and a driving two. He will be good next year.

The mascot in full blue devil suit could have come in tonight and contributed against this poor Tar Heel team. Most anyone shines against them. It wasn't such a big deal to do well against them this season.

airowe
03-07-2010, 12:29 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=media%2Fgettyphoto%2FGYI0059828428.jpg&w=361&h=589

GODUKEGO
03-07-2010, 12:30 AM

I was at the game and it was GREAT!!! Loss my voice and sitting hear eating ice cream to help my throat. Another classy move was about 15 Carolina fan's stayed after the game to hear the seniors talk. I don't know if you could tell on TV but Cameron was 40% louder tonight. 9 More!!!

Chris4UNC
03-07-2010, 12:30 AM
My Favorite Sign "Amateur Hour" or "Say UNCle"

my most painful.....N I T. Why? Because even that is probably not going to happen. :confused:

KShip21
03-07-2010, 12:32 AM
That was a good show of strength. However what I enjoyed the most was my buddy who is a Duke fan sitting across from me in silence after that play. Why? He always swears Duke players don't throw elbows or play in such a, how does he say it, classless way.

Flaring your elbows out and swinging the ball around on a rebound is hardly a classless play. If anything, its a fundamental move big men are taught to do to be strong when grabbing a board and securing possession. Elbows when someone is cutting across the the lane, or swinging elbows in a defenders face when bringing the ball up over your head on the perimeter are more of the classless variety.

DukeSean
03-07-2010, 12:33 AM
my most painful.....N I T. Why? Because even that is probably not going to happen. :confused:

your avatar looks like a goat missing its preparation H. Seems pretty accurate.

Exiled_Devil
03-07-2010, 12:35 AM
Whats up with Kelly not getting as much playing time lately? (I realize he did get some garbage time this game...)

Maybe its all attributable to Z's improvement.

Anyone know what happened after Miles' dunk? I saw the ref calling a travel? Bizarre.

That was the Ref calling a timeout for substitution only - its the same hand gesture.

My favorite moment of the night - the Crazies chanting "Double Digits" when UNC finally had 11 points. So nice to cheer the other team on.

Best sign - Unclear NIT or CBI

Sat in the 4th worst seat in the house and loved every minute of it.

Chris4UNC
03-07-2010, 12:35 AM

I have not heard any talk of that. Of course I want them to stay. Having a great season would make them more appealing to NBA scouts. But, even with great new talent coming in and with them staying there is no gurrantee of a great season. :(

DukeGirl4ever
03-07-2010, 12:36 AM
Flaring your elbows out and swinging the ball around on a rebound is hardly a classless play. If anything, its a fundamental move big men are taught to do to be strong when grabbing a board and securing possession.

HERE, HERE! My college coach used to teach us that all the time so the opposing team would think twice about going after the ball and seeing a pointy elbow coming their way....and he was a priest in his early days!

It's not dirty or classless at all - it's fundamental basketball when you secure the board and keep your elbows out. No one wants to mess with that.

sweetchiba51
03-07-2010, 12:38 AM
Anyone notice Deon Thomson's facial expression before the game? He looked as if he didn't even care about the game. The holes gave up before the game even started...pathetic

9 more wins!

Chris4UNC
03-07-2010, 12:39 AM
your avatar looks like a goat missing its preparation H. Seems pretty accurate.

He was missing an offense tonight, a defense as well. Speaking of mascots that is one thing I enjoy, finding out the history behind college mascots. Its pretty cool.

moonpie23
03-07-2010, 12:39 AM
wow.....that was like a nice 24oz bone-in ribeye that was knocked in the head and dragged over the grill...

awesome....thank you seniors, thank you coach k and staff, thank you team, crazies and fans...

ikiru36
03-07-2010, 12:40 AM
K, tell me what you think of this statement then...
Just because you "coach your heart out" and are passionate, doesn't make you a good coach.

And, just because you know the X's and O's, that doesn't make you a good coach either.

Ol' Roy was missing something this year and thank God I didn't watch enough UNC games (just 3) to be able to pin point the problem, so he may have coached his heart out, but he didn't do a good job coaching, IMO.

Pretty simply, if what we've been witnessing is Ol' Roy coaching his heart out (with, what, 7 McD's All Americans), he clearly doesn't have enough heart.

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DevilHorns
03-07-2010, 12:42 AM
That was the Ref calling a timeout for substitution only - its the same hand gesture.

My favorite moment of the night - the Crazies chanting "Double Digits" when UNC finally had 11 points. So nice to cheer the other team on.

Best sign - Unclear NIT or CBI

Sat in the 4th worst seat in the house and loved every minute of it.

OHHHH! that makes sense since they counted the points and then UNC had posession. It would help if the Dickie V actually talked about the game instead of Scheyer's grandparents for 20 minutes.

moonpie23
03-07-2010, 12:43 AM
hey....anyone want to meet on FRanklin street???

how much would a cab be from Cary to Franklin st??

i'm game...

hit me up on PM

:)

Kedsy
03-07-2010, 12:44 AM
He was missing an offense tonight, a defense as well. Speaking of mascots that is one thing I enjoy, finding out the history behind college mascots. Its pretty cool.

OK, I know why y'all are called the Tar Heels, but what's with the goat?

DevilHorns
03-07-2010, 12:44 AM
From IC:

Re: Wonder what Roy is telling the team in the locker room???

By this point, it probably sounds something like Boomhower off of "King of the Hill."

"Dadgumolnocountplayerscan'tcatchacoldhitafrackinla yupletaloneafreethrowya'llsuckman."

Something like that.

Exiled_Devil
03-07-2010, 12:46 AM

i'm game...

hit me up on PM

That's just cruel.

DukeGirl4ever
03-07-2010, 12:46 AM
OHHHH! that makes sense since they counted the points and then UNC had posession. It would help if the Dickie V actually talked about the game instead of Scheyer's grandparents for 20 minutes.

Who were watching from Florida...
(and for the life of me, you'd think I would remember, since it was mentioned about 5 times, if it was Sarasota or Saratoga....):mad:

Saratoga2
03-07-2010, 12:51 AM
Who were watching from Florida...
(and for the life of me, you'd think I would remember, since it was mentioned about 5 times, if it was Sarasota or Saratoga....):mad:

He had a party for Baltimore Oriole Players at his home in Sarasota (Fla) and wanted to blow his horn about it. Since I live in Sarasota (NY) and a couple of miles south of Sarasota (Fla) in the winter, I have heard his speil before. I get tired of listening to him and go to mute rather than hear another word.

diablesseblu
03-07-2010, 12:54 AM
It's been a tough couple of years around the ol' homestead. There's no way to fully quantify the sheer unadulterated joy this victory brings.

I'm past 60 and have been a fully committed Duke fan for all of those years. No Duke victory (other than KY '92 and the national championships) has made me any happier.

GoingFor#5
03-07-2010, 12:56 AM
Well, this was a great win obviously. What I am thinking about though is how grateful we should be to have Coach K as our coach. Even when we have less talent, the effort is always there especially in a rivalry game. UNC doesn't have that and even their own fans on their board admit that Coach K knows how to motivate his players much better than UNC ever has. We always have a team that tries hard and it's easy to take that for granted, but it really isn't easy for Coach K to consistently get that level of effort from just about everyone who comes into the program.

watzone
03-07-2010, 12:59 AM
Brian Zoubek post game comments - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/03/bdn-locker-room-report-brian-zoubek-talks-his-final-game/

Duke opened up a can on UNC, didn't they? Tee-hee.

watzone
03-07-2010, 01:04 AM
And here is Mr. Scheyers comments after the butt whooping. http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/03/jon-scheyer-talks-of-his-final-game-and-defeating-unc/

strawbs
03-07-2010, 01:08 AM
"But I do want to congratulate their seniors particularly. Jon Scheyer is a young man that I’ve really enjoyed watching him play except against us. To go from a 'shooting guard' to one of the primary ball handlers and have seven assist and zero turnovers, that’s sensational. I’ve really enjoyed him as a college basketball player and think he stands for so many great things. Lance Thomas doesn’t shoot it very much, but he does all the dirty work and really helps their team. Brian Zoubek, especially down the stretch, tonight he had 13 rebounds, that’s three of the last four games that he’s had double-figure rebound totals."

I've never liked roy, but i respect him a little more after saying some nice things about the dukies and acknowledging the seniors in the hand shake line after the game

kong123
03-07-2010, 01:15 AM
Good game guys. To say that the season has been a nightmare would be an understatement. I guess the diehard fan in me hoped that this collection of guys would somehow figure it out and learn to compete again. I was wrong. The game tonight was a complete humiliation to say the least. I know next years team will be better, we will have talent in a few key areas where we didn't this year, and hopefully we can find a leader.

My father died in July, and at his funeral I read the eulogy stating that the last UNC game he saw was a NC. Now I say, if he would have lived to see this team play, it would have killed him for sure. For better or for worse, at least he went out on top. Go Heels.

Best line I read tonight on the IC was

"Deon Thompson- You can't teach lazy, your just born with it...."

shoutingncu
03-07-2010, 01:16 AM
Remember when it was One - Nothing? Good times.

(Full Disclosure: I have read neither the In-Game nor this thread, and probably won't until Monday, although I highly doubt my post will be repetitive)

Like many of you watch Carolina games, I watch nearly every Duke game. This year, because Carolina's season was so crappy so early, I found myself less invested in the Duke games. Let's face it, as a hater, Duke's endgame is ultimately all that's superficially important to me. So in watching Duke over the season, I'd usually spot the lesser team ten points. Once Duke got the double digit lead, I'd see if the opponent looked like they'd fight for it... get a stop, trade baskets, give some encouragement that the game would remain competitive. More often than not, Duke has obliged me by extending their lead, and in the process, saving me the rest of the two hours.

Obviously tonight, I gave the lesser team a little more leeway, but even my patience was taxed.

I thought the 15 point spread was about right, give or take five points in either direction. A ten point Carolina loss if we played well, a twenty point one if we played badly. I did not account for not playing at all.

I was damn close on the score, though... hypothetically. Duke's supporting players only scored two more than I "allowed for" in my upset bid, and had the Big 3 been stopped (for 15 apiece instead of the 20 (25 in Singler's case)), then it would have played out exactly as I said it would... That is, if we held the Big 3 to 15 apiece, and the rest of the team to 15, then we'd have a chance to win. A 62 to 50 game (67 if we give Singler those extra 5 points) would have been far more encouraging in defeat.

And so juvenile fallback... at least we're still defending national champions... that is, of course, until we're eliminated from competing on Thursday, and then simply become former national champions.

And now, if you'll oblige me a little sore losering... I take pleasure in pretending that somewhere in Orlando, a small part of JJ is bitter that it wasn't him.

CLT Devil
03-07-2010, 01:19 AM
Great day; Ate Blue Corn Cafe, went to Sarah P. Gardens, and of course game abot 8:00. Just want to say it is great, great fun to go to the quad after and burn some benches. Its been a while since Ive seen it...5 years is a long time. Had a great time walking around campus...never expected to destroy the 'Holes' by 30 something. Good day to be in CIS.

wilson
03-07-2010, 01:23 AM
My favorite inside carolina quote so far:
"i think Forrest Gump is on TNT. think i will watch it if i am going to watch stupid people. at least he was brave. and a helluva ping pong player."

-bdbd
03-07-2010, 01:25 AM
Wow, was that a fun game or what?!!

I spent the whole second half rooting for them to break the margin record. Curse that good-sportsman, Coach K! ONLY winning by 32, when 37 was so near their grasp... ;)

Give Hubert Davis credit for having the cahones to actually pick his heels before the game -- and a big tip of the cap to Knight and Digger for immediately responding by awarding him with "alumnus of ther year" status (from NC@CH) for having the loyalty to do that "cuz their gonna get the butts kicked out there tonight!" - Digger, I think.

I just can't imagine a Duke/K team ever being so weak of character to just totally roll over like that. Forget Drew, I would not be surprised to see SEVERAL of these heels tansferring after their season ends next week! Just amazing for a squad with 7 Parade AA's!

Great to end the season on such an upbeat note. We'll have sky-high confidence entering the ACCT. Sure hope that we get a rematch with MD b/c: (1) That'll mean we're in the Finals, and (2) I really want another (redemption) shot at them! Dickie V seemed to think Duke has the inside track to the fourth #1 seed this year, especially after K-State lost Sat. But we need to win the ACCT or else I think we drop to a #2. Time will tell.

Gawd I love this team!!!

:D :D :D

Lord Ash
03-07-2010, 01:25 AM

Hm. I enjoy that as an IC comment on multiple levels. Your on you're own to figure out what they are;)

As for a K team rolling over, yes it is pretty damned rare, but the Clemson game last year was really, really, really bad.

diablesseblu
03-07-2010, 01:28 AM
Good game guys. To say that the season has been a nightmare would be an understatement. I guess the diehard fan in me hoped that this collection of guys would somehow figure it out and learn to compete again. I was wrong. The game tonight was a complete humiliation to say the least. I know next years team will be better, we will have talent in a few key areas where we didn't this year, and hopefully we can find a leader.

My father died in July, and at his funeral I read the eulogy stating that the last UNC game he saw was a NC. Now I say, if he would have lived to see this team play, it would have killed him for sure. For better or for worse, at least he went out on top. Go Heels.

Several members of my family are diehard Heels (and yes, I must admit my grad degree is from UNC ---Duke did not offer the program.)

This has been a dreadful season for them. I had empathy during Doherty's reign of terror because I truly felt that was not "on" the kids.

This Carolina team though -- no sympathy. It's almost as if too many of them represent the worst excesses of the AAU system, i.e. lack of fundamentals, no team orientation....yada yada yada.

Huck's not my favorite. I feel like he's focused on winning the recruiting/PR wars rather than assessing the viability of how they all/it all would/could exist together.

Son of Jarhead
03-07-2010, 01:40 AM
My ears are still buzzing...

Great game & great crowd! A great big Thank You to the seniors!

Best in-game moment: Coach K calling Miles over during a free-throw to give him a big hug & some encouragement shortly after he had been... um... rather tough on him.

Neatest post-game moment: Lance showing off Kyle's artistic design "17-0". (Can someone post a picture of that?)

... I'm too keyed to sleep still. 9 more to go! Let's go Duke!

gumbomoop
03-07-2010, 01:49 AM
This Carolina team though -- no sympathy. It's almost as if too many of them represent the worst excesses of the AAU system, i.e. lack of fundamentals, no team orientation....yada yada yada.

Huck's not my favorite. I feel like he's focused on winning the recruiting/PR wars rather than assessing the viability of how they all/it all would/could exist together.

On another thread, I noted that while as a general rule it's certainly true that one should respect one's opponent, it's nigh impossible when the opponent exhibits no self-respect. Diablesseblu here posits an interesting explanation re AAU style, but is more persuasive in re-focusing on the coach. Roy made a telling comment in postgame clip I saw on ESPN, saying, repeatedly, that the kids "have to change." I inferred he meant change their attitude, their lack of commitment, something. He's yet to acknowledge, as far as I know, his own need to change his coaching approach and game X/O, to better match different personnel. It will be interesting to see what he changes next year, with new super-talent, but no sign of Ty Lawson.

To repeat strawbs' recent post acknowledging Roy's praise of Duke's seniors, I, too, thank Roy for his comments.

SharkD
03-07-2010, 01:50 AM
I don't know if you could tell on TV but Cameron was 40% louder tonight. 9 More!!!

@DukeBluePlanet (http://twitter.com/dukeblueplanet) noted (http://twitter.com/dukeblueplanet/status/10101571161) that it got up to 118dB in Cameron, tonight. The all-time record is 120dB (http://twitter.com/dukeblueplanet/status/10099298555).

For comparison, the average motorcycle is 100dB, a lawnmower at 3' is 105dB, the loudest rock concerts top out at around 115dB and physical pain begins at 125dB.

OSHA recommends no more than 15min/day exposure to levels in excess of 115dB.

DevilHorns
03-07-2010, 02:10 AM
"Palindrome" chant from the crazies when we were up 73-37.

JG2111
03-07-2010, 02:20 AM
I liked it when Henson dunked on one of our guys and tried to run his mouth. I don't think he realized he was down by 28.

cptnflash
03-07-2010, 02:28 AM
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but Vitale was painfully off point all night long. I just rewatched the game on ESPN 360, and I seriously considered turning the sound off on several occasions. He went on two different rants about how Gary Williams and Rick Pitino belong in the Hall of Fame, plugged his own events, talked about interviews and public speaking appearances he had done recently, speculated about how much money Coach K would make if he took the Nets job, and endlessly praised Roy Williams as if he's somehow not responsible for the performance of a team filled with highly touted individual players, ALL WHILE LIVE GAME ACTION WAS GOING ON RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM! I really used to like Vitale, because I always felt like his enthusiasm for college basketball outweighed his other shortcomings, but now I feel like the reverse is true... no amount of love for the game can overcome the fact that he actually detracts from the quality of analysis presented during the telecast. Seriously, Shulman and a monkey would be better. I bet if you got Shulman drunk he would say the same thing. I feel bad for him having to work with Vitale for every Duke/UNC game.

Kfanarmy
03-07-2010, 02:29 AM
I think he has coached his heart out this year but he just needs to realize these kids are going to have to run a different scheme in order to be successful. I completely agree that RW has put a lot of effort into getting his team to play "his system." Unfortunately for them (and fortunately for everyone else), he either is too set in his ways or is incapable of significantly altering strategy. This year's version of Carolina needed to play good half court O/D with a significant number of scripted plays, rather than trying to play a fluid motion offense. Of course, the season was made even more difficult with all the injuries, but I think a drastic shift in strategy may have taken advantage of the considerable skills he had available.

Deslok
03-07-2010, 03:09 AM
That was the most fun I've ever had watching a regular season game on TV. Just a beatdown in every phase of the game. Just about everyone on the squad made a contribution to the victory, and what a way to go out for the seniors.

I also think its worth noting, and several folks have referred to the various signs made up, but the crowd was, from a TV perspective at the very least, as sensational as the 5 on the floor were. Loud, into the game, clever in their derision of Carolina, and above all, massively supportive of all the Blue Devils. At times I, and many of others of this board have been critical of the perceived apathy of Duke students in their support of Duke athletics, so its only fair that they get some huge props for tonight.

I love the stat that, had we not scored in the 2nd half, we still win by 3. Priceless.

LSanders
03-07-2010, 03:51 AM
"Palindrome" chant from the crazies when we were up 73-37.

Classic ... :cool:

flyingdutchdevil
03-07-2010, 05:10 AM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Carolina last night...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

BD80
03-07-2010, 05:24 AM
Coach K is an absolutely GREAT coach, but one might question his recruiting tactics.

He has a high profile recruit in the stands with his family and, during the game, yells directly at the recruit's brothers. Just ripping them new ones.

Sure, those brothers were playing, and they sure deserved it, but what did Marshall think?

It was the first half, unc had just cut the lead from 20 to 15, and K called time out even though a TV timeout would come at the next whistle. And K just reamed Miles and Mason in turn, going back and forth between the two. I had just rewound the game to explain to my girlfriend why I was shouting at the MPs, and then there was K making me look like I knew what I was talking about.

Hopefully Marshall and his parents realize this is K being a great coach and holding Mason and Miles to a high standard and refusing to let them take plays off. Actually, Marshall may have enjoyed seeing his older brothers be so verbally abused.

It seems that getting Mason and Miles on track is a point of emphasis for the entire team. Nolan shouted at Miles for missing a rotation to cut off a drive that started above the circle. It has gotten so bad that Jon reassured Miles after a hustle foul to reassure him that he wasn't going to get reemed again.

I consider this all to be very positive. K expects the MPs to be a full part of the rotation and treats them as such. Unlike ol' roy who just hangs his head, K thinks enough of his players to expect them to play at a high level.

I think Mason and Miles are getting it, although SLOWLY, and still think that they will be major contributors in the big dance.

grossbus
03-07-2010, 06:36 AM
Thanks seniors, what a great night!

Exiled_Devil
03-07-2010, 07:25 AM
Coach K is an absolutely GREAT coach, but one might question his recruiting tactics.

He has a high profile recruit in the stands with his family and, during the game, yells directly at the recruit's brothers. Just ripping them new ones.

Sure, those brothers were playing, and they sure deserved it, but what did Marshall think?

It was the first half, unc had just cut the lead from 20 to 15, and K called time out even though a TV timeout would come at the next whistle. And K just reamed Miles and Mason in turn, going back and forth between the two. I had just rewound the game to explain to my girlfriend why I was shouting at the MPs, and then there was K making me look like I knew what I was talking about.

Hopefully Marshall and his parents realize this is K being a great coach and holding Mason and Miles to a high standard and refusing to let them take plays off. Actually, Marshall may have enjoyed seeing his older brothers be so verbally abused.

It seems that getting Mason and Miles on track is a point of emphasis for the entire team. Nolan shouted at Miles for missing a rotation to cut off a drive that started above the circle. It has gotten so bad that Jon reassured Miles after a hustle foul to reassure him that he wasn't going to get reemed again.

I consider this all to be very positive. K expects the MPs to be a full part of the rotation and treats them as such. Unlike ol' roy who just hangs his head, K thinks enough of his players to expect them to play at a high level.

I think Mason and Miles are getting it, although SLOWLY, and still think that they will be major contributors in the big dance.

The TO to yell at MP1 and MP2 looked to me to be a case of under performing players getting the earful that players get when K sees them not giving the performance that they demonstrate in practice. The last three plays that happened before the TO were all MP 1 or 2 mess ups, and pretty bad ones at that.

If MP3 doesn't think he can handle that kind of feedback, he probably shoudln't come to Duke anyway.

Exiled_Devil
03-07-2010, 07:28 AM
The 17-0 homestand logo, designed by Kyle.

http://twitgoo.com/fxpxd

http://i47.tinypic.com/zmxx09.jpg

Faison1
03-07-2010, 07:41 AM
The TO to yell at MP1 and MP2 looked to me to be a case of under performing players getting the earful that players get when K sees them not giving the performance that they demonstrate in practice. The last three plays that happened before the TO were all MP 1 or 2 mess ups, and pretty bad ones at that.

If MP3 doesn't think he can handle that kind of feedback, he probably shoudln't come to Duke anyway.

I couldn't agree more. I can't imagine that K would manage a game thinking all the while, "I better watch what I do because I want to fool these recruits into thinking Duke is a Lovefest."

In the article about K's pin, he ripped into some middle-aged guys who had paid big bucks to attend a fantasy coaching session. That's what I love about him. He will let you know if you are either not playing hard enough or making boneheaded plays.....

And frankly, I kinda enjoy watching the TV cut to commercials while showing K getting into his players. It shows he still has passion.

dukelifer
03-07-2010, 08:01 AM

Well it could be worse- they could be playing for Maryland- and getting yelled at while sitting on the bench. Coaches yell at players during a game- it is how they treat them off the court that really matters.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-07-2010, 08:12 AM
Pitiful effort and performance from the Heels....again. This teams major problem among many is in player personalities...somewhere.

Solid and inspired team basketball play from Duke...again. Duke fans have every right to be satisfied with this team.

UNC is so bad in so many areas that I don't have time to get into them all.

Ex: Basketball IQ. Hello...Deon.....you are a senior with experience right? When you get the ball in the post the double team is coming. Remember every game all year? Pass it or shoot it, but don't just hold the ball until they come take it away. And to all you teammates...maybe you want to work harder off the ball so that Deon can pass it to you?

One thing I will take the time to comment on is Larry Drew. I'm tired of reading continued beatdowns of his play (mostly by UNC fans) when he has absolutely no help.
Time after time he pushes it up the floor, beating his man with the dribble, and there is no-one there to pass to because they were lazy getting up the floor, just too darn slow, or in the 1/2 court, didn't cut hard to the ball, or set a standard screen with energy.

Ginyard, Graves and Strickland were 2 for 13 from the field. They took a total of 13 shots all game. Heck, Singler alone took 17 from the wing for Duke. Why no shooting from the UNC wings? Mainly because they couldn't get a look. Yea, Dukes D was good, but refrigerator Perry could cover Graves off the dribble. Marcus played like I would imagine Taylor Swift would suit up, and Dex has no shot off the dribble.

Drew is not this teams problem.

cspan37421
03-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Hubert as a former Tar Heel player and a member of some very successful teams I guess is just doing his job in supporting his alma mater. BUT REALLY....he must be crazy.

I like Hubert, but if you're right, this is where Bilas has a ton more integrity. Bilas knows that as an analyst his job is NOT to support his alma mater (indeed, he predicted Maryland would beat Duke last week), his job is to call them like he sees them. He may not always be right, but he's giving you his honest opinion. As an analyst, he's not only supposed to not be a homer for anyone, he's supposed to do his homework, and he does.

Having said all that, I rather doubt Hubert was being intentionally disingenuous. I suspect it was unconscious wishful thinking - recent Duke loss, recent UNC win, perhaps the start of a trend....

DukeDevil
03-07-2010, 08:16 AM
Two awesome Zoubek moments from the night (amongst many). He grabs a monster rebound that looked like he was channeling boozer, the rip down, screaming, everyone around him backing away with a "oh damn...he may kill me if I touch it" look in there eyes.

After the game, everyone is cutting down the basket, he walks up to the ladder and just as I'm about to yell "you don't need it!" he reaches up and cuts down his sections straight from the floor.

PS: I have my own personal shout outs for the game. One to the amazing soul who GAVE us two tickets right before the game and refused to let us pay, and two to the awesome security guy at the side who let us bring in my nephew and niece who, I admit, are a bit too old to get away with the "sit in our lap and don't need a ticket" treatment. My nephew is a huge duke fan and he looked at me after the game, unprompted, and said "this was the best night of my life."

CameronBlue
03-07-2010, 08:30 AM
Roy's greatest problem with this team--though I've only seen them a couple of times on TV--is no on-the-court leadership from his seasoned veterans, Stephenson, Graves and Ginyard. He should've demanded more, maybe he did, but it certainly didn't show.

Great come from behind win by the Devils.

Go Duke!

dukelifer
03-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Pitiful effort and performance from the Heels....again. This teams major problem among many is in player personalities...somewhere.

Solid and inspired team basketball play from Duke...again. Duke fans have every right to be satisfied with this team.

UNC is so bad in so many areas that I don't have time to get into them all.

Ex: Basketball IQ. Hello...Deon.....you are a senior with experience right? When you get the ball in the post the double team is coming. Remember every game all year? Pass it or shoot it, but don't just hold the ball until they come take it away. And to all you teammates...maybe you want to work harder off the ball so that Deon can pass it to you?

One thing I will take the time to comment on is Larry Drew. I'm tired of reading continued beatdowns of his play (mostly by UNC fans) when he has absolutely no help.
Time after time he pushes it up the floor, beating his man with the dribble, and there is no-one there to pass to because they were lazy getting up the floor, just too darn slow, or in the 1/2 court, didn't cut hard to the ball, or set a standard screen with energy.

Ginyard, Graves and Strickland were 2 for 13 from the field. They took a total of 13 shots all game. Heck, Singler alone took 17 from the wing for Duke. Why no shooting from the UNC wings? Mainly because they couldn't get a look. Yea, Dukes D was good, but refrigerator Perry could cover Graves off the dribble. Marcus played like I would imagine Taylor Swift would suit up, and Dex has no shot off the dribble.

Drew is not this teams problem.

There was some mention that Thompson has a very bad back and that Graves has a sprained ankle. Not making excuses- but this UNC team is beaten up physically and mentally. That said- they have enough healthy players to put up a fight. Virginia lost their best player yesterday and still managed a fight with much less talent. Just not sure what is going on behind the scenes. Clearly this UNC team has some issues and the team has not come together. They are playing selfishly - and players are not in position on the floor. Drew may be a problem if he cannot lead this team. Next year will be interesting for Roy- who plays and who sits and more importantly - who is trusted to lead.

DukeDevil
03-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Great come from behind win by the Devils.

ROFLCOPTER. I actually had to double check to realize that, yes, they did in fact lead for 25 seconds.

Buckeye Devil
03-07-2010, 08:52 AM
UNC was hideously awful. I watched 2 UNC games this year-both against Duke. So I really did not pay close attention to exactly how bad they are. The deterioration from the last Duke matchup was too noticeable. The NIT looks like a long shot for them at this point.

MChambers
03-07-2010, 08:56 AM
There was some mention that Thompson has a very bad back and that Graves has a sprained ankle. Not making excuses- but this UNC team is beaten up physically and mentally. That said- they have enough healthy players to put up a fight. Virginia lost their best player yesterday and still managed a fight with much less talent. Just not sure what is going on behind the scenes. Clearly this UNC team has some issues and the team has not come together. They are playing selfishly - and players are not in position on the floor. Drew may be a problem if he cannot lead this team. Next year will be interesting for Roy- who plays and who sits and more importantly - who is trusted to lead.

UNC publicizes their injuries more than anyone else in the ACC and I'm sick of hearing about it. Let's look at Duke's injuries this year -- Mason's broken arm/wrist, Kyle's very painful sprained wrist, Andre's ankle (and of course his terrible personal loss), Jon's back troubles, Lance's bruised knee, and Brian's dislocated finger. Duke hasn't let those injuries be an excuse.

Even if UNC had been perfectly healthy all year, this team would still suck. So why do we have to hear about the health problems? Change shoes and get over it.

camion
03-07-2010, 09:01 AM
UNC was hideously awful. I watched 2 UNC games this year-both against Duke. So I really did not pay close attention to exactly how bad they are. The deterioration from the last Duke matchup was too noticeable. The NIT looks like a long shot for them at this point.

It was just a great game for senior night at Duke: There was no suspense after the first 90 seconds, Dick Vitale's commentary was easy to ignore and Erin Andrews looks really good in blue.

And for UNC, the light at the end of the tunnel is the off-season. I've never seen a light blue team that wanted the season to end more than this one.

dukelifer
03-07-2010, 09:01 AM
UNC publicizes their injuries more than anyone else in the ACC and I'm sick of hearing about it. Let's look at Duke's injuries this year -- Mason's broken arm/wrist, Kyle's very painful sprained wrist, Andre's ankle (and of course his terrible personal loss), Jon's back troubles, Lance's bruised knee, and Brian's dislocated finger. Duke hasn't let those injuries be an excuse.

Even if UNC had been perfectly healthy all year, this team would still suck. So why do we have to hear about the health problems? Change shoes and get over it.

I agree- I was mostly responding to why those two particular players looked particularly bad (slow) last night. Injuries are part of the game- but in terms of leadership- losing Davis was a big blow- although this allowed Henson to emerge.

shereec
03-07-2010, 09:10 AM

Let's not forget that Coach K also showed that recruit the kind of coach and man he is - waving MP over to the bench so he could look him in the eye and say THAT'S what I'm talking about - good job.

hq2
03-07-2010, 09:17 AM
This game reminded me a little of the January '78 game when, Duke hadn't beaten 'em at home in 7 years. The people were screaming so loud you could barely hear the announcers. Nice to get some payback after years of Handsblow bullying.

Can't remember ever seeing a Carolina team play that bad. They knew they were gonna lose, but I can't ever remember seeing them just quit like that. They have decent talent, but their chemistry is bad, and their outside shooting is non-existent. Part of this disaster is clearly Roy's fault. Carolina has a lot of work to do in the offseason putting together a team that plays together.

Play of the game: Zoubs swat from behind in the 2nd half. "Get that s--- out of our house!". And yes, Vitale has become intolerable. For years I could stand him because he was enthusiastic and loved Duke, but now he's become nothing but a babbling idiot. Fortunately, as in 78, the fans were louder most of the game.

Still, a most enjoyable 2 hours indeed! A good old fashioned butt kicking!
Absolutely wonderful! Nothing could be finer!

BlueintheFace
03-07-2010, 09:19 AM
I loved it when coach K called Miles over off the free throw blocks solely to give him a hug in the middle of the game after tearing him to pieces in the 1st half.

DukeDevil
03-07-2010, 09:20 AM
any way to catch the halftime show now? Everyone seems to have said it was great and I feel like watching it to make this high keep going.

roywhite
03-07-2010, 09:33 AM
http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/03/07/374877/devils-stomp-heels.html?tab=gallery&gallery=/2010/03/07/375317/duke-82-unc-50-030610.html&gid_index=1#gallerytop

Nice photo gallery from the N&O. I especially like #34.

LaettnerWannabe
03-07-2010, 09:44 AM
The last time I remember a UNC team quitting in the middle of a Duke game like last night was the 2001 ACC Tournament title game. Does anyone else remember it that way? I believe that was the year Haywood said it was just a small-time tournament.

I don't know how many of you had read the DBR review of last night's game, but in it they say "Although it was a smashing victory for Duke, on another level it was somewhat sad. We actually found ourselves thinking, wow, we sure hope Dean Smith isn’t watching this one."

You guys may disagree but I didn't find it sad at all. I have no sympathy for UNC. My only regret is that "Psycho T":rolleyes: wasn't there to watch. Yeah I'm bitter.

moonpie23
03-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Bd, i am pretty sure that marshall already KNOWS how K deals with that.....he's already heard stories from MP1 and now, confirmation from MP2......i think the lesson would be , umm..."you don't bring it, you GET it"

dukelifer
03-07-2010, 09:47 AM
http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/03/07/374877/devils-stomp-heels.html?tab=gallery&gallery=/2010/03/07/375317/duke-82-unc-50-030610.html&gid_index=1#gallerytop

Nice photo gallery from the N&O. I especially like #34.

Nice. I wonder if Roy noticed.

dukeimac
03-07-2010, 09:58 AM
LOL, I have 2 friends who are big UNC fans and we watched the game together last night.

When Zo grabbed the rebound with his elbows out, one of those guys said "hit in the chops, maybe they will actually play."

The other guy looked at me and said (when Duke was leading by about 15), "UNC should have to give back the trophy from last year. And I'm serious, they are a disgrace."

From 2 UNC fans. They actually apologized for any rude comments they made last year abut any other team. We can't hold a stick to sh!t!

moonpie23
03-07-2010, 10:04 AM
i had a wonderful dream last night....i dreamed that the UNC team came out of the showers after the drubbing, got dressed only to find that roy and the staff had already taken the bus and gone...

tecumseh
03-07-2010, 10:22 AM
UNC is really dreadful. They took some really horrendous shots, like Henson some sort reverse layup/baby hook something that even the commentators were surprised at followed by a 25 foot heave with 7 seconds left on the shot clock by another Tarhell. This is what I don't understand, this team does not know what a good shot is and that is pretty basic. In fact in the Knight/K joint interview they both agree that is perhaps the most important or one of the most important concepts in coaching the game: value the possession.

Lord Ash
03-07-2010, 10:35 AM
I have to agree with Wheat; while I know Drew has not been very good against us, he is awful fast and can get by his defenders... I can't help but think he will be a good player.

However, I also remember seeing him fall over by the 3 pt line on the Duke side maybe 8 or 10 minutes into the first, and they called a TO, and the entire UNC team just left him sitting there and walked back to the bench. The chemistry on that team is just rock bottom, and Roy does not have the personality that K has to pull it together.

Azdukefan
03-07-2010, 10:37 AM
First of all it was a dream come true to not only attend the game last night (my first ever in Cameron as Phoenix is not too close to Durham) but to also give the holes a beat down they so desparately deserved.

A couple of memories that will last with me forever;

1) The Unc team getting off the bus right in front of us and the Crazies giving them the treatment. One crazy shouted, "hey Ed, you coming to hang out too?" immediately followed by "I hate you Ed!!!" Funny stuff!

2) The way those crazies can party (I am impressed they can keep their school work together amongst all the alcohol).

3) The Unc team leaving after the game. There was a crazy out there that might be the most hilarious person I have ever listened to. His comment of "there's the man of the hour" (obviously talking about Roy).

4) K getting so emotional with his seniors. He is beyond the man, the myth, the legend. While I knew this it was further engrained in my mind. We are so lucky to have such a great coach and even better person.

5) Ole Roy. My wife and I have always debated whether or not he is a good guy (I was on the side of thinking he was a bad guy). But after the game something happened that changed my mind. With all of the crazies giving Roy a mouthful a UNC fan asked for an autograph and Roy denied it. After thinking about it, he apologized, called the guy back over and even took a picture with a Duke fan (Kansas grad).

Taking the pounding that they did and still showing integrity really showed me something about his character. Roy is a legitimate good guy. The guys that he has on his team well that's another story.

What an experience! Thanks everyone for being exactly who you are!
Go Duke!
GTHC GTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trinity92
03-07-2010, 10:45 AM

i'm game...

hit me up on PM

That's just cruel.

I'll never forget my freshman year after having watched Danny Ferry lose to the holes in Cameron (JR Reid, Rick Fox). I was walking on North Campus and encountered a car full of holes driving around taunting anyone who would listen. I hope you made it there and gave 'em hell for me.

Lord Ash
03-07-2010, 10:53 AM
I have to agree with Wheat; while I know Drew has not been very good against us, he is awful fast and can get by his defenders... I can't help but think he will be a good player.

However, I also remember seeing him fall over by the 3 pt line on the Duke side maybe 8 or 10 minutes into the first, and they called a TO, and the entire UNC team just left him sitting there and walked back to the bench. The chemistry on that team is just rock bottom, and Roy does not have the personality that K has to pull it together.

Found a photo of that moment.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/9388/drewn.jpg (http://img692.imageshack.us/i/drewn.jpg/)

ice-9
03-07-2010, 10:54 AM
i had a wonderful dream last night....i dreamed that the UNC team came out of the showers after the drubbing

It didn't sound like a good dream up that point... ;)

MChambers
03-07-2010, 11:02 AM
i had a wonderful dream last night....i dreamed that the UNC team came out of the showers after the drubbing, got dressed only to find that roy and the staff had already taken the bus and gone...

From the players' perspective, that's probably better than the alternative, which wouold be being thrown under the bus yet again.

Kdogg
03-07-2010, 11:09 AM
any way to catch the halftime show now? Everyone seems to have said it was great and I feel like watching it to make this high keep going.

I tired this morning to watch it on ESPN360. The first segment was blackout but the second segment was fine. Strange.

billy
03-07-2010, 11:11 AM
I also think its worth noting, and several folks have referred to the various signs made up, but the crowd was, from a TV perspective at the very least, as sensational as the 5 on the floor were. Loud, into the game, clever in their derision of Carolina, and above all, massively supportive of all the Blue Devils. At times I, and many of others of this board have been critical of the perceived apathy of Duke students in their support of Duke athletics, so its only fair that they get some huge props for tonight.

I love the stat that, had we not scored in the 2nd half, we still win by 3. Priceless.

I'll completely agree having been at the game. Crazies were loud, not just in spots, but for prolonged periods. Best my wife and I thought in years. Great signs, spontaneous cheers. Enjoy your spring break students!!!!!!

MChambers
03-07-2010, 11:14 AM
I agree- I was mostly responding to why those two particular players looked particularly bad (slow) last night. Injuries are part of the game- but in terms of leadership- losing Davis was a big blow- although this allowed Henson to emerge.

I didn't mean to suggest you were wrong. It's just that your post brought up the subject of injuries, and I was still suffering from listening to Vitale last night, so I had to make my point.

Even with Davis and a Wear out, UNC still has four bigs, three of who were Mickie Ds. The fourth is a senior who has played a lot of games over his career.

I do feel sorry for Ginyard, with his injuries. Kind of reminds me of Paulus in that narrow respect. A good, not great, player whose career really got derailed by injuries.

gwwilburn
03-07-2010, 11:21 AM

I agree 100%, but what many people have neglected to mention is what happened between K and Miles afterward. Miles turned around his play when he returned into the lineup, and earned high-fives from K that were visible from Section 3 but may not have made it on ESPN's broadcast of the game. K even hugged Miles after forcing a turnover later in the game.

CDu
03-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Give Hubert Davis credit for having the cahones to actually pick his heels before the game.

Why should we give Davis credit for making a dumb pick? Either he believed UNC would win (which was foolish - they were a heavy underdog), or he didn't and was either making a homer pick or making the pick that the producers asked him to make. None of those are worthy of credit, in my opinion. And none are evidence of cojones. I actually would give him more credit if he'd gone against his allegiances and picked Duke. I'd have a lot less respect for Bilas if he just always picked Duke. That's what Digger Phelps does (always pick Notre Dame), and he's a clown.

Anyway, sorry for the side rant. This is a pet peeve of mine. Back to the fun stuff. I think my favorite play was when Zoubek blocked Henson from behind and screamed. I'm just thrilled with how well he's improved down the stretch. My second favorite play was when Davidson stole it from Henson on a dunk attempt. My third favorite play was Nolan freezing Strickland in transition, and taking it in for a dunk. And then to cap it off, I loved the Plumlee alley-oop.

I almost feel bad for Ginyard and Thompson to have to have that be their final regular season game, but they got more than their fair share of happy moments over the years. UNC was clearly undermanned with a gimpy Thompson (back) and Graves (ankle), no Davis, and even missing two freshman. But they still had enough talent on the floor (Zeller, Henson, Drew, Strickland, Ginyard) to make it a respectable loss.

Our defense played exactly as expected. We took away all of the easy shots. The injuries to UNC's two main offensive threats didn't help them, but even so we didn't allow many easy shots. Henson made some hook shots and dunks, but other than that it was just a beatdown on that end of the floor. And the offense did more than enough (in the first half alone) to win.

Mal
03-07-2010, 11:32 AM

Oh, it was better than the so-called game. Digger and Knight came out wearing their little Irish chappy caps, and Bilas started ripping them about it. Then they attempted to talk about the athletic contest they were supposed to analyze, but pretty much gave it up after Knight, in total deadpan, said (paraphrasing) "Well, you know, before we just bury them too much, Carolina is leading in two interesting stats in this game: personal fouls and turnovers." They then proceeded to spend the rest of their time trading hats and mocking UNC. I've never seen anything like it. I mean, they were openly laughing at the Tar Heels. It was delicious.

Franzez
03-07-2010, 01:53 PM
I love the UNC/Duke rivalry. Without question its the best rivalry in college sports, based on how good each team is yearly.

North Carolina's young sheep will get their chance to get revenge for the historic beatdown we gave them last night. Our seniors remembered their huge 2nd half comeback last year, and this was their chance to get even. Thats what makes the rivalry so great.

I cant enjoy Duke beating down a UNC squad unless I know they're going to be good enough to return the favor one day. This isn't some UVA squad.

Brim
03-07-2010, 02:01 PM
During the performance of the National Anthem, the Duke players, Coach K, and the coaching staff all stood at attention with their right hands over their hearts.

In contrast, every member of the UNC team stood with their hands placed behind their backs.

I'm not saying they were being disrespectful or unpatriotic. They weren't. What to do during the National Anthem is a matter of personal preference. Some sing, some place their hands over their hearts, and some don't.

But what struck me is that NONE of the UNC players placed their hands over their hearts. They all stood in more or less the same pose.

(To his credit, Roy Williams and at least one of the UNC assistant coaches had their hands over their hearts during the National Anthem.)

So my question is: is it some sort of tradition for the UNC players not to do this while the Star Spangled Banner is sung? Is it like this for every game or was it just a one time coincidence? Maybe, with their mind on the game and their dismal performance this season, they didn't have it in them to express their patriotism.

Maybe their hands simply couldn't find a heart.

DevilHorns
03-07-2010, 02:09 PM
During the performance of the National Anthem, the Duke players, Coach K, and the coaching staff all stood at attention with their right hands over their hearts.

In contrast, every member of the UNC team stood with their hands placed behind their backs.

I'm not saying they were being disrespectful or unpatriotic. They weren't. What to do during the National Anthem is a matter of personal preference. Some sing, some place their hands over their hearts, and some don't.

But what struck me is that NONE of the UNC players placed their hands over their hearts. They all stood in more or less the same pose.

(To his credit, Roy Williams and at least one of the UNC assistant coaches had their hands over their hearts during the National Anthem.)

So my question is: is it some sort of tradition for the UNC players not to do this while the Star Spangled Banner is sung? Is it like this for every game or was it just a one time coincidence? Maybe, with their mind on the game and their dismal performance this season, they didn't have it in them to express their patriotism.

Maybe their hands simply couldn't find a heart.

I think you are reading a little too much into this. I'm not ex-Army or anything, but I think its completely appropriate to put your hand on your heart or hands behind your back. I personally always put my hand on my heart, but thats just personal preference. As long as they weren't making faces or fooling around in any way I would have to say they did nothing wrong.

78Devil
03-07-2010, 02:14 PM
It is not either required or expected to put your hand over your heart for the Anthem -- merely that you show respect and look toward the flag. The "hand over heard" is for the Pledge of Allegiance. Some folks do it for the Anthem as well, but that seems regional and/or program-based. Failure to do it is not a sign of any disrespect.

Lulu
03-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Are you kidding me with the Harry Potter headline? Maybe after the ACC Tournament win we can compare ouselves to Twilight characters or elves and goblins or whatever. Ugh - I hope this site got hacked and someone's just trying to embarrass us. I know some people love this Harry Potter stuff but, personally, I don't like the comparison to something I may detest more than the Heels.

dukelifer
03-07-2010, 02:49 PM
It is not either required or expected to put your hand over your heart for the Anthem -- merely that you show respect and look toward the flag. The "hand over heard" is for the Pledge of Allegiance. Some folks do it for the Anthem as well, but that seems regional and/or program-based. Failure to do it is not a sign of any disrespect.

And technically- most people do not place their hands over their heart- which is much more centrally located.

dahntaysdawg
03-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Are you kidding me with the Harry Potter headline? Maybe after the ACC Tournament win we can compare ouselves to Twilight characters or elves and goblins or whatever. Ugh - I hope this site got hacked and someone's just trying to embarrass us. I know some people love this Harry Potter stuff but, personally, I don't like the comparison to something I may detest more than the Heels.

Agreed, that headline didn't do us any favors in the 'cool' department and actually made its way onto a few other message boards.

Reilly
03-07-2010, 04:03 PM

Please see 36 USC sec 171.

http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html#36

diesel
03-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Agreed, that headline didn't do us any favors in the 'cool' department and actually made its way onto a few other message boards.

Exclude me from your whines. I thought the headline showed a delightful sense of whimsy on the part of the moderators who put it up.

Lighten up!

Greg_Newton
03-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Top 5 Plays from DBP: http://www.youtube.com/user/dukeblueplanet?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/0/a2CQW1BFOOs

I just love Z's block on Thompson. After the way their respective careers have gone, it was just the perfect way to go out... capping off a blowout in which Z outplayed Deon with that "Who's your daddy" swat.

BTW - I read that the Presbyterian fan was there - was there a good "Miss It Deon" moment?

stillcrazie
03-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Top 5 Plays from DBP: http://www.youtube.com/user/dukeblueplanet?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/0/a2CQW1BFOOs

I just love Z's block on Thompson. After the way their respective careers have gone, it was just the perfect way to go out... capping off a blowout in which Z outplayed Deon with that "Who's your daddy" swat.

BTW - I read that the Presbyterian fan was there - was there a good "Miss It Deon" moment?

There's an article in today's N&O about it. Crazies invited him to stand in the front row.

stillcrazie
03-07-2010, 05:00 PM

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/03/07/374892/presbyterian-fan-welcome-at-cameron.html

juise
03-07-2010, 05:19 PM

You're right. I would have gone with "Jedi Knights 82, Sith Lords 50." That would have been WAY better.

Really though... I hate it when I, as an anonymous internet message board poster, lose "street cred" with the anonymous internet message board posters at other sites. When a fan site posts things like that it really hurts Duke's shot at #1 seed and my chances of becoming homecoming king. Completely unacceptable! :p

dahntaysdawg
03-07-2010, 05:23 PM
You're right. I would have gone with "Jedi Knights 82, Sith Lords 50." That would have been WAY better.

Really though... I hate it when I, as an anonymous internet message board poster, lose "street cred" with the anonymous internet message board posters at other sites. When a fan site posts things like that it really hurts Duke's shot at #1 seed and my chances of becoming homecoming king. Completely unacceptable! :p

You're right, Duke is even closer now to it's destiny...much like Frodo on his quest to Mount Doom. Good shall triumph over Evil, may the force be with all of you...live long and prosper.

1999ballboy
03-07-2010, 05:25 PM
It isn't really a big deal, and it's funny to some.

I was gonna comment on the Coach K and Miles situation. Miles played really really terrible basketball prior to K's time out, particularly when he just turned his shoulder away when someone (Henson or Thompson) took it to the hoop. He got way out on the court and stomped his foot and yelled right in Miles' face. Miles looked really angry too, but judging from things he was angry at himself. Nolan had his arm around Miles that entire time out to comfort him. After that I was surprised K put him in again so soon, but Zoubs got his 3rd or 4th foul and then Miles played much better and K jumped out and hugged him after forcing that turnover. It was kind of moving to be honest.

RockLobster
03-07-2010, 05:28 PM

Really! We're losing street cred with those hosers over at IC!

They might make fun of us and hurt our feelings! Oh noes!

ivydevil
03-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Someone hit Nolan's SUV last night. :( Probably a UNC fan, taking examples from Maryland. That fan probably has more passion in his little finger than the whole UNC team combined. :eek:

AlaskanAssassin
03-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Someone hit Nolan's SUV last night. :( Probably a UNC fan, taking examples from Maryland. That fan probably has more passion in his little finger than the whole UNC team combined. :eek:

I knew it wasn't a good idea when he posted a picture of his car a day prior. He should of known! but nonetheless, awful behavior.

Kedsy
03-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but Vitale was painfully off point all night long. I just rewatched the game on ESPN 360, and I seriously considered turning the sound off on several occasions. He went on two different rants about how Gary Williams and Rick Pitino belong in the Hall of Fame, plugged his own events, talked about interviews and public speaking appearances he had done recently, speculated about how much money Coach K would make if he took the Nets job, and endlessly praised Roy Williams as if he's somehow not responsible for the performance of a team filled with highly touted individual players, ALL WHILE LIVE GAME ACTION WAS GOING ON RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM! I really used to like Vitale, because I always felt like his enthusiasm for college basketball outweighed his other shortcomings, but now I feel like the reverse is true... no amount of love for the game can overcome the fact that he actually detracts from the quality of analysis presented during the telecast. Seriously, Shulman and a monkey would be better. I bet if you got Shulman drunk he would say the same thing. I feel bad for him having to work with Vitale for every Duke/UNC game.

Well, in his defense, in a blowout like that he has to fill the dead air somehow. Lot a lot of analysis necessary in a 30-point beatdown, is there?

BD80
03-07-2010, 06:15 PM

Dadgummit, when ol' roy gets behind the wheel. that baby puke blue bus will roll over ANYTHING!

mike88
03-07-2010, 06:47 PM

If it was a UNC fan, it was the only time this weekend that anyone from UNC stopped Nolan from driving.

DevilHorns
03-07-2010, 06:48 PM
If it was a UNC fan, it was the only time this weekend that anyone from UNC stopped Nolan from driving.

Post of the day. Excellent!

bluepenguin
03-07-2010, 07:13 PM
My favorite post on IC:

"While the Heels can't be any worse next year we easily lose both games next year to [Duke]!!"

devildownunder
03-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Biggest margin over unc since '64, says ESPN's Dan Shulman. Nice.

bluepenguin
03-07-2010, 07:29 PM
1. Worst defeat by unc at Duke ever.
2. Second worst defeat by unc in Duke series played anywhere
3. Worst loss suffered by Roy Williams as coach at UNC
4. 50pts was lowest scoring output for UNC under Roy. Previous low was 54 against Duke last month!

weezie
03-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Feelings among several friends who called to offer congratulations today: if we play the twerps in Gboro, for the first time in recent history, the crowd may root heartily for Duke. Including the holes who can't tolerate the idea of md winning anything.

YourLandlord
03-07-2010, 08:19 PM
4. 50pts was lowest scoring output for UNC under Roy. Previous low was 54 against Duke last month!Didn't they have 51 against Ga Tech?

MChambers
03-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Didn't they have 51 against Ga Tech?

Either way, however, we now have the record, 50. Of course, GT gets another shot at it Thursday.

GoDuke99
03-08-2010, 10:17 AM
after watching the game live i couldnt make out any of the chants throughout the game so i re watched it. again, i couldnt make them... any good ones that the Crazies chanted?

Richard Berg
03-08-2010, 11:41 AM
My vote for POTD as well!

Please see 36 USC sec 171.

http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html#36

Looks like he's right; the official guideline is to place hand over heart. The relevant excerpt:

During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Of course, the whole statute comes with major caveats:

This code is the guide for all handling and display of the Stars and Stripes. It does not impose penalties for misuse of the United States Flag...[because of the] Supreme Court decision in Texas v. Johnson; June 21, 1989, held the statute unconstitutional.
Consequently, different interpretations of various provisions of the Code may continue to be made. The Flag Code may be fairly tested: 'No disrespect should be shown to the Flag of the United States of America.' Therefore, actions not specifically included in the Code may be deemed acceptable as long as proper respect is shown.

BattierD12
03-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Some of the ones I can still remember from the frenzy:

"Cry Roy Cry" ala "Sweat Gary Sweat" - I reallllly like this in a cruel way.

There was a palindrome chant when it was 73-37. "More than double" was definitely heard for a good portion of the game.

"N-I-T" was there with some variations. Best one was when the grad section started with N, the student section then said I, followed by the band/other grads with T. Definitely rang through the court.

For the heroes:

"L-T, L-T, L-T...etc" when Lance came off the court one final time.

When Jon came out, it was pretty much mass hysteria. The two halves of the student section could not keep a "Jon Scheyer" chant going in unison cuz we really couldn't hear each other. However, watching it again on espn360, it created a kind of cool effect, where Jon's name was repeated with no space in between.

"1 more kid" for all the senior's parents after the pre-game ceremony.

There were definitely some others, but I was in way too euphoric a state to remember.

tltgap
03-08-2010, 01:07 PM
"Where's Carolina? N-I-T!"

Dukeface88
03-08-2010, 01:10 PM
"Cry Roy Cry" ala "Sweat Gary Sweat" - I reallllly like this in a cruel way.

I liked it too, but the timing was bad. It started right after one of the UNC players (Strickland?) started limping off the court.

We didn't do much for the specific players. Someone tried to start a "daddy's better" during one of LDII's free throws, but it didn't really get going. Might have heard some good ones if Graves had any free throws (was suspended for marijuana a few years ago), but he never went to the line.

BlueintheFace
03-08-2010, 01:36 PM
73-37

"Pal-in-drome"

"Pal-in-drome"

PumpkinFunk
03-08-2010, 01:42 PM
73-37

"Pal-in-drome"

"Pal-in-drome"

Could you guys hear the band cheering that on TV? Usually, nobody but us does the Palindrome chant.

godukerocks
03-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Did we have like, 3 people dancing in place of the Speedo Guy?

airowe
03-08-2010, 02:26 PM
PC Fan gave it his best effort with a "Miss it Deon." But I could only hear him when I watched a second time on Saturday night ;)

B-well
03-08-2010, 03:00 PM
If you hate Carolina, clap your hands...clap, clap, clap

If you hate Carolina, stomp your foot...stomp, stomp, stomp

If you hate Carolina, your face will surely show it, clap your hands... clap, clap, clap

That one was brand new:)

MChambers
03-08-2010, 03:15 PM
In today's WSJ, in an otherwise forgettable article on March Madness and how the world isn't ready for it, is this gem of a description of Saturday's game:

"Down in Durham, the No. 4 Duke Blue Devils humiliatingly crushed an expansion team called the University of North Carolina, 82-50."

Duvall
03-08-2010, 03:16 PM
In today's WSJ, in an otherwise forgettable article on March Madness and how the world isn't ready for it, is this gem of a description of Saturday's game:

"Down in Durham, the No. 4 Duke Blue Devils humiliatingly crushed an expansion team called the University of North Carolina, 82-50."

Duke should be embarrassed for playing one of those directional patsies this late in the regular season. Really going to hurt the Strength of Schedule.

davekay1971
03-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Duke should be embarrassed for playing one of those directional patsies this late in the regular season. Really going to hurt the Strength of Schedule.

True...we should have played the real Carolina for some actual competition...those feisty Gamecocks might have given our guys a workout.

Cameron
03-08-2010, 03:23 PM
I was watching the '08 KU-UNC Final four game last night and Billy Packer, however much most of us hate 'im, by far owns the greatest UNC chant/cheer/call of all-time.

[Brandon Rush scores a rainbow three to put the Jayhawks ahead of Tyler 38 to 12.]

Packer: This game is ... ova.

Nantz: Is it?

Packer: Yes, it is.

Nantz: Wow, with 7:32 left in the first half. Mmm.

Heaven.

94duke
03-08-2010, 03:45 PM
True...we should have played the real Carolina for some actual competition...those feisty Gamecocks might have given our guys a workout.

Yeah, or CofC. :D

noyac
03-08-2010, 03:55 PM
It isn't really a big deal, and it's funny to some.

I was gonna comment on the Coach K and Miles situation. Miles played really really terrible basketball prior to K's time out, particularly when he just turned his shoulder away when someone (Henson or Thompson) took it to the hoop. He got way out on the court and stomped his foot and yelled right in Miles' face. Miles looked really angry too, but judging from things he was angry at himself. Nolan had his arm around Miles that entire time out to comfort him. After that I was surprised K put him in again so soon, but Zoubs got his 3rd or 4th foul and then Miles played much better and K jumped out and hugged him after forcing that turnover. It was kind of moving to be honest.

I saw that too. I can't remember if it was Lt or Kyle that yelled something at him immediately like "WTF that is not what Duke Bball is all about." and he knew it too. You could see the look on his face.

While watching the UK v Florida game I noticed several dunks and layups go uncontested that I knew would not have happened if either team was playing Duke. Only time I see that in Duke games is when a player is in foul trouble. Other than that you better contest that layup/dunk or answer to Coach K and our floor leaders.

noyac
03-08-2010, 04:26 PM
I know this maybe in the wrong thread but here are two funny items from yahoo sports about UNC and the game

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Fan-kicked-out-by-Roy-Williams-gets-front-row-se?urn=ncaab,226355

About the fan that got kicked out by Roy

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/North-Carolina-basketball-fans-experience-the-fi;_ylt=Aj.X2TtmRViQdDtnLrkT1_LevbYF?urn=ncaab,226 545

Funny article about Five stages of Grief and Carolina Fans.

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-08-2010, 05:07 PM
A one point in the second half it seemed like the undergrads were trying to call off the band/grads from a FT arm waving. Deon was at the line, was this an attempt to do a "shhhhh.... MISS IT DEON!" ? Had it worked, it would have been fantastic.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-08-2010, 05:21 PM
I know this maybe in the wrong thread but here are two funny items from yahoo sports about UNC and the game

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Fan-kicked-out-by-Roy-Williams-gets-front-row-se?urn=ncaab,226355

About the fan that got kicked out by Roy

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/North-Carolina-basketball-fans-experience-the-fi;_ylt=Aj.X2TtmRViQdDtnLrkT1_LevbYF?urn=ncaab,226 545

Funny article about Five stages of Grief and Carolina Fans.
I just love this from the second link!
5. Acceptance -- "If UNC wins the ACC Tourney (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=5697161), there is still a 50/50 chance they don't get invited, even WITH the automatic bid. That's how bad it is. Where's that LMAO smilie when you need it :D

GP3NY
03-08-2010, 09:02 PM
The one above was actually...

If you hate carolina, clap your hands (clap, clap)

If you hate UNC, the you're a Cameron Crazy,

Grad student made it up. Little wordy on the 3rd line but it could work if we all got it!

weezie
03-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Over in sections 12 & 13, when the holes had back to back baskets middle 2nd half, one generous Duke fan first shouted BIG DEAL!! and followed it up with a hilarious WHOOPDEDOO.
We all broke out :D:D:D:p

soccernamlak
03-08-2010, 09:50 PM
My favorite has always been when they turn the ball over (travel, throwing it out of bounds, etc) and we start chanting "You let the whole team down"

yootheman
03-08-2010, 10:18 PM
The one above was actually...

If you hate UNC, the you're a Cameron Crazy,

Grad student made it up. Little wordy on the 3rd line but it could work if we all got it!

every time carolina lost during ademola okulaja senior season, he would always be quoted the next day saying something to the effect that "the other team didn't win, we just beat ourselves." when he came to cameron later that year, the entire crowd sang "Ademola Okulaja beats himself (clap, clap)", etc. best cheer ever.