PDA

View Full Version : If you could choose....

kydevil
05-15-2007, 09:01 AM
One team to get a home and home series with who would it be?

I say Uk, there fans think were afraid to play at Rupp? what do you all think.

CMS2478
05-15-2007, 09:13 AM
Kentucky would be fine...........wouldn't mind Kansas either.

vango
05-15-2007, 09:28 AM
Kentucky
UCLA
KS
or
CT

Troublemaker
05-15-2007, 09:30 AM
UCLA. Would help recruiting the most.

captmojo
05-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Haven't we done UCLA? Arizona, other than last season's appearance at holeville has seemed to be too much chicken squeeze to appear at Cameron.

Kentucky would be fine. So would Florida.

MrBisonDevil
05-15-2007, 10:44 AM
#1 University of Kentucky
#2 UK
#3 Wild Cats
#4 UCLA/Kansas/UConn (3-way tie)

Kentucky vs. Duke each year would be a ratings bonanza. I currently live near the UK stronghold and it's amazing that UK Fans still feel Duke is a major rival. I remember a post on this board ~2yrs ago about the supposed Duke vs UK rivalry. Anyway...

Indoor66
05-15-2007, 10:48 AM
I think of KY as more of a "rival" than MD! We have had more games of real significance against KY than we have had such games against MD, IMO.

Classof06
05-15-2007, 01:01 PM
I really liked the home and home with Michigan State, regardless of the fact that we were able to win both games :) .

But at this point, my top three would be:

1. Florida (They're trying to supplant Duke as THE program)
2. UCLA (They're back to elite status)
3. Kentucky (Gillespie's an up and comer, and I'd love to smash them in Rupp)

And if everyone's being partial to their home states, I'll throw the Buckeyes in there. We played them my freshman year ('02), but it was in either Greensboro or Charlotte.

rthomas
05-15-2007, 01:10 PM
West Virginia (said selfishly).:)

The Gordog
05-15-2007, 02:20 PM
UK for sure. I would just love to bring out the Chris-tian Laett-ner (clap-clap, clap-clap-clap) cheers!

Edit: UK has the most wins of any program, UNC is second, Kansas third, Duke fourth. The best way for us to catch up is to beat UK more often.

Also, we should absolutely not play UConnvicts as that would demean our program IMO.

duke98
05-15-2007, 02:23 PM
Oregon! (We're allowed to be selfish, right?)

Actually, the Blue Devils would probably feel right at home here in Mac Court. It's a great old building with a great old history, and people are constantly yammering about how they want to replace it. Sound familiar?

speedevil
05-15-2007, 03:02 PM
A Bay Area duke fan can dream..
Cal or Stanford.
It would be nice to see the Blue Devils play in California at least once a year, that would be a dream.

g-devil
05-15-2007, 03:02 PM
uk or ku would be my choices

ScreechTDX
05-15-2007, 03:36 PM
1. UCONN
2. KU
3. UK
4. Syracuse

hurleyfor3
05-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Just as God intended Duke and unc never to meet in the NCAA tournament, He intended Duke and Ky ONLY to meet there.

I'll come out of left field and say Syracuse. This was sort of supposed to happen before we got stuck with VPI in the conference insetad.

mgtr
05-15-2007, 03:49 PM
Most of the teams mentioned seriously would be fine with me, particularly UK, KU, or Florida. On the west coast, UCLA would seem reasonable. Any of these, but definitely not UConn under present management.

pato
05-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Any of these, but definitely not UConn under present management.

Why wouldn't mgt. go for this?

SmartDevil
05-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Any of the above.....but never against Lute....why give the whining crybaby any credibility?

johnb
05-15-2007, 05:58 PM
1. NC State and Wake Forest.
2. UCLA or Stanford
3. Kentucky

phaedrus
05-15-2007, 05:59 PM
unc. that would be cool. it's a pretty good rivalry imo.

RockyMtDevil
05-15-2007, 06:25 PM
I don't understand why we rarely play an SEC school or Big 12 school, is it the academic credibility?

Schedule a Tennessee, Miss St., Alabama each year to get a feel how we match up against superior athleticism and rotate out Temple. Then, schedule a Big 12 team to replace St. John's, which I have no clue why we are still scheduling those thugs...they totally suck and someone seems to get in a brawl almost everytime we play...

Rotate out Temple and St. John's and replace with Tennessee and Okla. State.

RockyMtDevil

Bob Green
05-15-2007, 07:30 PM
My choice is Kansas. Kentucky would be my second choice with UCLA third. Hopefully, the Temple and St. Johns series will end soon.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

merry
05-15-2007, 10:01 PM
I personally would like to see us play Stanford.

I think any time a school is compared to Duke (as in if they can have tough academics and still have a good football/baseball program why can't we) then they should be put on the "let's basketball home and home someday" list. Northwestern, Rice maybe?

xenic
05-15-2007, 10:41 PM
A Bay Area duke fan can dream..
Cal or Stanford.
It would be nice to see the Blue Devils play in California at least once a year, that would be a dream.

along those lines, The Banana Slugs.

kramerbr
05-15-2007, 10:44 PM
I'd like to see us play a PAC-10 team such as UCLA, Arizona, or Stanford.

DevilAlumna
05-16-2007, 12:30 AM
I don't understand why we rarely play an SEC school or Big 12 school, is it the academic credibility?

Schedule a Tennessee, Miss St., Alabama each year

I think any time a school is compared to Duke (as in if they can have tough academics and still have a good football/baseball program why can't we) then they should be put on the "let's basketball home and home someday" list. Northwestern, Rice maybe?

I'm also an alumna of Vanderbilt, which, conveniently fulfills both those requirements -- SEC + good all around academics+athletics. It'd be great to get a home & home for the women's BBall teams as well. Not to mention, Memorial Gym in Nashville is also a cool, old BBall venue. (Wonder how Coach K would do under the basket, so far away from the ref's table. ;) )

I'd like to see us play a PAC-10 team such as UCLA, Arizona, or Stanford.

Let's push that a little further to the north, and hit up U-Dub. It'd be good exposure to this area of the country, and given the way the dawgs have played since Brandon Roy left, it'd be any easy win.

dukemomLA
05-16-2007, 01:57 AM
UCLA for me 'cause I live here. Pauley is a nice arena, I always get a chance to give John Wooden a hug, and to have Duke here on a regular basis would be beyond my wildest dreams.

vango
05-16-2007, 03:56 PM
It's 3:55pm (eastern)

Now I'd really like to see that home and home with Kentucky. :p

cspan37421
05-16-2007, 09:17 PM
Partly for selfish reasons: Tennessee. But other reasons include: they are a pretty darn good team, with a really good and enthusiastic coach (heart on sleeve contrasts nicely to K's steely poker face). Like it or not the SEC has been very good lately, esp. at tournament time. To be the best, we need to prepare by playing the best. That might mean taking a look at scheduling, over time, Florida/Tennessee/Vandy/KY, Wisconsin, UCLA, Connecticut.

TV ratings would be great. Last year, we were heavily scheduled on the mid-majors and did quite well against them. I'm not saying we should forget them, but I think the idea that the ACC is all we need in terms of major conference foes, well, that's mistaken IMO. We need to be able to play against a variety of styles - both offensively and defensively. Still puzzles me but for all our mid-major dominance we couldn't handle VCU. What's worse, VCU lost in the next round. The team that beat them, then lost. And so on.

SoCalDukeFan
05-16-2007, 11:42 PM
I live in Southern California.

SoCal

kexman
05-17-2007, 10:14 AM
My schedule changes:

1) Play a marqee game: Kentucky or KU would be nice

2) I like playing Stanford...they are sort of the west coast equivalent of Duke?

3) a few more on the road

4) A few great stadiums...Duke could rotate through the list, but I think it would be fun for the players to experience some of the old gems (sort of a tribute to cameron)....a) the pit in New Mexico b) the palestra in Philly c) phog allen (counts for 1 as well) d) gallagher-Iba (Ok. state). I think one a year would be a nice tribute.

Billy Dat
05-17-2007, 11:41 AM
I can't believe UCONN doesn't top the list for almost everyone. I don't care about what happened pre-1999, these guys OWN US right now and Calhoun has a big upper hand on K lately. It is a charged up rivalry and would be great if we could tee it up. Their series with UNC probably prevents it, but a Duke v UConn series would be fantastic.

After UConn, Arizona, Kentucky, UCLA, Kansas and Florida would all be great.

Dukerati
05-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Any new opponent should be beneficial to us from a recruiting perspective. Great games are nice but there should be a practical side to that as well. To this end, I'd probably want something in the Midwest, someone like Texas...

cspan37421
05-18-2007, 08:22 AM
Any new opponent should be beneficial to us from a recruiting perspective. Great games are nice but there should be a practical side to that as well. To this end, I'd probably want something in the Midwest, someone like Texas...

Texas - hmmm. Maybe they'd have room on the plane for Ted Roof.

Bostondevil
05-18-2007, 09:49 AM
Boston College? Oh, right.

BC releases no, I repeat, no tickets to the visiting schools at their (admittedly small) home arena. The cowards!

So even though Duke does come here now, I can't see them unless I pay a whopping price. I'm considering trying to get BC season tickets because it would be cheaper.

We used to play Harvard. I don't see that coming back now that Tommy's up here. Still, it might help Tommy out if Duke came to play early in his career.

JustDuke
05-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Kansas please so I can finally watch the Dukies in person.

mgtr
05-18-2007, 05:40 PM
UConn??? You must be kidding. Lock up all the computers!

adam
05-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Boise State. Bring the football team along too, so they can play on the "smurf turf". :)

Actually, I'd like to see Duke vs Stanford or Duke vs Kansas... I think either of those would make a great series.

Buckeye Devil
05-20-2007, 08:47 PM
I would like to see Louisville. They got lucky in 1986 and Pitino vs K-enough said.

Forrest
05-20-2007, 08:48 PM
For me, it's not even close. I'd rather begin (actually, resume) a home-and-home with State than with any other team in the nation. I'd rather play the Wolfpack twice each year than any non-conference team once, or any two non-conference teams once each.

No fight like a family fight.

Forrest

duketaylor
05-20-2007, 11:07 PM
From what I've heard we will play at KU next year, or at least in KC where they'll be opening a new arena. We will get a return engagement, possibly in G'boro, but I'd prefer CIS. Just as I'd prefer Phog. While we're talking about Duke/Kentucky, I think the ribs and 'Cuye from Smokey Bones in Roanoke is pretty darn good. I've spent a month in Roanoke this year, been on a per diem, and ate lots of ribs and 'Cue. Also ate at Logan's Roadhouse a good bit.
Pretty decent, IMO. Still can't touch Smithfield;)

throatybeard
05-21-2007, 12:49 PM
Looks like UMass needs an opponent.

So UK is buying UMass out incredibly late, because they have too many
games away from Rupp (for their taste). We may spend all of December
in Cameron and MSG, but at least we haven't reneged on a return game yet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2877223

hurleyfor3
05-21-2007, 06:21 PM
For me, it's not even close. I'd rather begin (actually, resume) a home-and-home with State than with any other team in the nation. I'd rather play the Wolfpack twice each year than any non-conference team once, or any two non-conference teams once each.

Forrest

Yeah, good point. And play them in Reynolds, while we're at it.

ACCBBallFan
05-21-2007, 10:27 PM

Forrest
Actually in this third year of the rotating schedule, beside primary partners UNC & MD, Duke does play NC State, UVA and Miami twice this year, hosts a couple of the tougher games Ga Tech and Clemson plus BC and travels to depleted Va Tech FSU and Wake.

So with its primay partners being UNC and Wake, NC State finally plays them all twice this year.

Wake caught a break only playing NC State twice, @UNC and hosts Duke.

Clemson gets another shot at breaking its forever losing streak at the Dean Dome.