PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Maryland @ UVA

jjasper0729
03-06-2010, 01:44 PM
game has started.. 8-4 maryland 4 mins in.

landesberg has been suspended for academic reasons they say

uncwdevil
03-06-2010, 01:45 PM
game has started.. 8-4 maryland 4 mins in.

I wonder if he's already reserved his hotel room in NYC for the draft this summer?

ChrisP
03-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Well, I guess we can all stop hoping for a UVA upset. They have NO chance without Landesberg. Ugh!

slower
03-06-2010, 01:48 PM

Their season has basically fallen off a cliff.

CDu
03-06-2010, 03:16 PM
UVa is giving it all they have. But in the second half, Vasquez has started raining in threes. After a very slow start today, it looks like he's trying to hang on and seal the ACC POY award. Hopefully he cools off down the stretch and UVa stays hot. But I'm not counting on it.

CDu
03-06-2010, 03:20 PM
UVa is giving it all they have. But in the second half, Vasquez has started raining in threes. After a very slow start today, it looks like he's trying to hang on and seal the ACC POY award. Hopefully he cools off down the stretch and UVa stays hot. But I'm not counting on it.

And just as I say this about Vasquez, he takes a TERRIBLE three (missing badly) and then commits two turnovers, allowing a 4-point run for UVa. It's a 1-point game and UVa has the ball!

BlueintheFace
03-06-2010, 03:20 PM
1 pt game 1:36 to go

CDu
03-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Wow, UVa just blew it. They commit a foul down one (good call), but Bennett gets a technical on top of it.

BlueintheFace
03-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Wow. Bennet is an idiot. I mean really, he is not a smart coach.

loran16
03-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Wow, UVa just blew it. They commit a foul down one (good call), but Bennett gets a technical on top of it.

THEY CALLED A TECHNICAL AT UVA on the UVA coach in a game ending situation?

THAT IS A TERRIBLE REFFING JOB.

Duvall
03-06-2010, 03:25 PM

Not really. Bennett was acting like a fool.

And why does it matter that it was at UVa? It's not like there's anyone there.

CDu
03-06-2010, 03:25 PM

Not necessarily. If Bennett deserved a technical, he deserved a technical. It doesn't matter where the game is being played. It's only a terrible reffing job if the technical was a bad call. And I'm guessing he deserved it.

It's a terrible decision by Bennett to even tempt the refs to give him a technical.

BlueintheFace
03-06-2010, 03:27 PM
UVA was rolling until Farrakhan made one of the stupidest mistakes of the season with that travel and the game essentially on the line.

loran16
03-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Sorry let me rephrase.

Referees almost always, unless what the coach is doing is really blatant will not call a T on them in a game-ending situation. It has to be pretty awful stuff.

On that coach's home floor it's even less likely.

Bennett better have said somethings really bad, or else he's gotta be wondering how he could've known what he said (if it was simple normal coach anger) would get a techincal.

Remember, Ts are entirely subjective, and just anger and berating the ref for the call should not get a coach one in that situation.

Duvall
03-06-2010, 03:28 PM
UVA was rolling until Farrakhan made one of the stupidest mistakes of the season with that travel and the game essentially on the line.

Terrible team is terrible.

SCMatt33
03-06-2010, 03:28 PM

That was just stupid by Bennett. It's not like they called it for just arguing the call. Bennett came out of the coaches box and threw his coat on the floor. He gave the refs no choice but to call that. BTW, the block call was absolutely the right call. Bennett just gave away his team's chance to win a game that they worked so hard at.

Duvall
03-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Sorry let me rephrase.

Referees almost always, unless what the coach is doing is really blatant will not call a T on them in a game-ending situation. It has to be pretty awful stuff.

On that coach's home floor it's even less likely.

Bennett better have said somethings really bad, or else he's gotta be wondering how he could've known what he said (if it was simple normal coach anger) would get a techincal.

Remember, Ts are entirely subjective, and just anger and berating the ref for the call should not get a coach one in that situation.

Bennett walked three steps onto the court and threw his coat on the ground. Any coach is going to get a technical in that situation unless his name is Dean Smith.

loran16
03-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Eh. I guess you'd get a T for that. Let me rephrase once more.

To me, what should be important is that the team that deserves to win, wins. Is coat-throwing a good sport action? No. Is it something that the refs need to punish and deter at all costs?

I'd say no.

Only profanity, physical contact, or interfering with the game itself should get a Technical Foul.

But, stupid it was.

CDu
03-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Eh. I guess you'd get a T for that. Let me rephrase once more.

To me, what should be important is that the team that deserves to win, wins. Is coat-throwing a good sport action? No. Is it something that the refs need to punish and deter at all costs?

I'd say no.

Only profanity, physical contact, or interfering with the game itself should get a Technical Foul.

But, stupid it was.

You have rules for a reason. If you don't enforce them, there's chaos. I've never bought into the "situational call" concept. If it is a technical foul with 35 minutes to go, it's a tehcnical with 35 seconds to go. You shouldn't change the rules because of the situation in the game. All minutes should be equal. I give no blame to the officials there. They did their job.

If you have issue with what has become accepted as a technical foul, then that's an issue for the offseason. Under the rules instituted as of this season, what Bennett did was a technical foul. Bennett knew fully well he'd get T'd up for running onto the court and throwing his coat on the floor. It was stupid of Bennett. I don't know that UVa would have won anyway (they'd have likely been down three), but his decision essentially cost the team any chance.

Lulu
03-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Now, I'm sorry for putting post where it doesn't belong, but I didn't want to start a new thread.

First, it's amazing that we had 9 pages of posts about MD fan behavior before a moderator shut it down. My problem, why shut it down? I haven't been back to this site since the night of the game, being just way too busy during the week, but I have my own experiences with MD fans I would have liked to share. A friend of mine was wearing her Duke gear (I wasn't so brave) and was bombarded with spit that must have come from multiple persons all at once. The word "spat" doesn't describe it. I don't want to be too graphic, but it was much more reminiscent of a scene out of "Silence of the Lambs" in terms of how disgusting it was. She cried, and I hardly blame her, but none of the fans behind us apparently saw who did it... About three years ago, someone took keys, or a knife, to the paint on my car and slashed two tires on one side. I had a Duke license plate holder. I was not there for a game and it wasn't even basketball season. Filed a report and had to get it towed. How many times have I been to their campus? Twice. Never going back. The earth should just open up and swallow the place.

I did want to ask if there was a difference in being able to enforce fan behavior policies at a public institution versus a private one. I don't even know who officially owns these arenas, but thought we might have some lawyers around who could address that.