PDA

View Full Version : WorldWide Wes Agent?

BD80
03-05-2010, 10:46 PM
This can't be good for coach Cal and UK:

http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/20333097?tag=mccBlogView;comBlogEntryListMiniCnt

If WWW is an agent, his contact with recruits is problematic.

How does Cal recruit without WWW?

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-05-2010, 10:50 PM
In a way he doesn't really need to, all he has to say is "I coached Derek Rose, Tyreke Evans, John Wall, and Demarcus cousins" Come to my school, let me take you to the NBA.

For a one and done, that works.

airowe
03-05-2010, 11:19 PM
If WWW is an agent, his contact with recruits is problematic.

How does Cal recruit without WWW?

Same way he always has. Runners. If anything positive comes of this, it will put Cal back in the NBA.

mgtr
03-05-2010, 11:23 PM
In a way he doesn't really need to, all he has to say is "I coached Derek Rose, Tyreke Evans, John Wall, and Demarcus cousins" Come to my school, let me take you to the NBA.

For a one and done, that works.

So Cal is saying, come and play for me for a year for free, in order to meet the regs, and then I will make you a star with big $$$$. I wonder if that is what the College Presidents (who are supposed to be in charge of their programs) intended. Well, no I don't wonder -- I know that is not what they intended.
The problem is how ot get the players association to change their rules. One way would be for the College Presidents to say that the only way that they will take one and dones is if they are reimbursed appropriately by the teams who draft the players (so some such arrangement). Since it is all just about money (seemingly) the colleges ought to have their hands out for a share.

DevilHorns
03-05-2010, 11:28 PM
So Cal is saying, come and play for me for a year for free, in order to meet the regs, and then I will make you a star with big $$$$. I wonder if that is what the College Presidents (who are supposed to be in charge of their programs) intended. Well, no I don't wonder -- I know that is not what they intended.
The problem is how ot get the players association to change their rules. One way would be for the College Presidents to say that the only way that they will take one and dones is if they are reimbursed appropriately by the teams who draft the players (so some such arrangement). Since it is all just about money (seemingly) the colleges ought to have their hands out for a share.

All you have to do is allow high school players the option to go straight to the pros.

That takes out Cal's biggest 1-and-done recruits. Wall and Cousins in that scenario would have gone straight pro.

mgtr
03-05-2010, 11:35 PM
All you have to do is allow high school players the option to go straight to the pros.

That takes out Cal's biggest 1-and-done recruits. Wall and Cousins in that scenario would have gone straight pro.

Well, the owners don't like that. They would rather have a free one-year tryout with a college team. This subject has sort of been beat to death in earlier threads. I think the consensus (to the extent that there is ever a consensus on this board) is that the best scheme is the baseball scheme -- a player can go right out of high school. However, if he chooses college, he has to stay three years at a minimum. Seems fair to me, but probably far too logical.

Duvall
03-05-2010, 11:35 PM

What do you mean, allow? One-and-done is an NBA rule, and the current situation is fine by them.

DevilHorns
03-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Well, the owners don't like that. They would rather have a free one-year tryout with a college team. This subject has sort of been beat to death in earlier threads. I think the consensus (to the extent that there is ever a consensus on this board) is that the best scheme is the baseball scheme -- a player can go right out of high school. However, if he chooses college, he has to stay three years at a minimum. Seems fair to me, but probably far too logical.

You're right it has been beaten to death.

I like the option to go straight pro, and also choose to go 1-and-done if you really want to (so no college rule forcing a 3-year commitment.

Let the kid choose. Forcing someone to take 3 years vs go pro will force many kids to make the wrong decision and potentially screw up their chances to make it.

DevilHorns
03-05-2010, 11:40 PM
What do you mean, allow? One-and-done is an NBA rule, and the current situation is fine by them.

Exactly, the NBA has to allow high school players to go straight to the pros.

JG Nothing
03-06-2010, 01:01 AM

If the presidents of member institutions were really concerned about one and done, then they would have the NCAA try to do something about it. The NCAA does not act because most of the presidents do not care.

JasonEvans
03-06-2010, 08:49 AM
It says he is going to represent coaches but I wonder how long it takes him to move into the world of players. I wonder if his first client is going to be Mr. Wall. There is waaay more money to be made as an agent on star players than there is on star coaches.

-Jason "the Clifton vs. Wes battle to be Wall's agent could be epic!" Evans

slower
03-06-2010, 08:56 AM
It says he is going to represent coaches but I wonder how long it takes him to move into the world of players. I wonder if his first client is going to be Mr. Wall. There is waaay more money to be made as an agent on star players than there is on star coaches.

-Jason "the Clifton vs. Wes battle to be Wall's agent could be epic!" Evans

If Wes DOES go on to represent players, why shouldn't he just swing for the fences? Aren't he and Lebron tight, or am I thinking of somebody else?

Let's get this guy out of the college ranks and make it as hard as possible for him to exert any kind of influence on recruits.

allenmurray
03-06-2010, 09:14 AM
If the presidents of member institutions were really concerned about one and done, then they would have the NCAA try to do something about it. The NCAA does not act because most of the presidents do not care.

The rule is the result of an agreement between the NBA owners and the players union. While the NCAA might have some influence, I think you over-estimate just how much of a player they are in this.

JG Nothing
03-06-2010, 10:18 AM
The rule is the result of an agreement between the NBA owners and the players union. While the NCAA might have some influence, I think you over-estimate just how much of a player they are in this.

You are absolutely correct about the one and done rule. The NCAA has nothing to do with it. However, the NCAA could finesse the rule if it wanted to make recruiting one and done types unattractive by instituting scholarship penalities for teams that have players who leave early (without transferring) or requiring freshmen to play JV ball.

airowe
03-06-2010, 10:25 AM
If Wes DOES go on to represent players, why shouldn't he just swing for the fences? Aren't he and Lebron tight, or am I thinking of somebody else?

Let's get this guy out of the college ranks and make it as hard as possible for him to exert any kind of influence on recruits.

He is tight with a lot of guys, but Lebron is definitely one of them. I'd be surprised if he took Lebron away from his current agent though, who is also a good friend of WWW and works for the same agency.

Kdogg
03-06-2010, 12:15 PM

If the presidents really cared they would make freshman ineligible again. That way the NBA doesn't get the free preview and restores a bit of the student/athlete model.

Franzez
03-06-2010, 01:53 PM
If the presidents really cared they would make freshman ineligible again. That way the NBA doesn't get the free preview and restores a bit of the student/athlete model.

That is unfair to players, considering you would have to do it in all sports other than basketball.

Franzez
03-06-2010, 01:55 PM
You are absolutely correct about the one and done rule. The NCAA has nothing to do with it. However, the NCAA could finesse the rule if it wanted to make recruiting one and done types unattractive by instituting scholarship penalities for teams that have players who leave early (without transferring) or requiring freshmen to play JV ball.

What is with this JV ball or freshmen being ineligible argument?

That is not and will not happen unless its instituted in all of the NCAA sanctioned sports.

Franzez
03-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Same way he always has. Runners. If anything positive comes of this, it will put Cal back in the NBA.
Cal is going back to the NBA anyways, hes just like Pete Carroll waiting for the "right opportunity" which would give him control of the roster aswell as the Head Coaching job.

JG Nothing
03-06-2010, 02:18 PM
What is with this JV ball or freshmen being ineligible argument?

That is not and will not happen unless its instituted in all of the NCAA sanctioned sports.

Do you mean will not or cannot? I would assume that, within very wide parameters, the NCAA can govern its sports programs as it sees fit.

theAlaskanBear
03-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Do you mean will not or cannot? I would assume that, within very wide parameters, the NCAA can govern its sports programs as it sees fit.

I don't want to see freshmen ineligible, and there are a lot less drastic ways to
solve the one-and-done problem. I agree with the poster who suggested the baseball model is the way to go.

Let highschoolers declare for the draft, but then they are ineligible to participate in college athletics, and if they are undrafted then they must play in a professional league, such as the D-League or in Europe.

If they decide to go to school, they have a 3-year commitment.

The problem has never been high schoolers declaring for the draft, it's been with the stupid GMs and coaches who pick the high schoolers expecting them to be Kobe, Garnett, or LeBron.

Franzez
03-07-2010, 01:34 PM

And they're not going to make freshmen ineligible in all sports. That doesn't even make sense, of course it was done years ago but the NCAA is not going to let millions walk away and ruin the quality/excitement of sports with an action like that.

Franzez
03-07-2010, 01:45 PM
I don't want to see freshmen ineligible, and there are a lot less drastic ways to
solve the one-and-done problem. I agree with the poster who suggested the baseball model is the way to go.

Let highschoolers declare for the draft, but then they are ineligible to participate in college athletics, and if they are undrafted then they must play in a professional league, such as the D-League or in Europe.

If they decide to go to school, they have a 3-year commitment.

The problem has never been high schoolers declaring for the draft, it's been with the stupid GMs and coaches who pick the high schoolers expecting them to be Kobe, Garnett, or LeBron.

I kinda agree.

I think they should allow HS players including Juniors and Seniors declare for the NBDL Draft, but the catch is that they have to play 1-2 years in the NBDL depending on their class. After their stint in the NBDL to "adjust to the NBA" game they can be called up to their NBA affiliate.

This solves 2 problems.

It removes the players who have no purpose in their education in terms of their quest for the NBA. This saves schools from having to offer a scholarship to a guy in his Junior year at the earliest who has 0 intentions of going to class when he gets on campus and is only there to get attention. These players can then head to the NBDL, play against expierenced basketball players, and learn the NBA style game. College basketball in my opinion would be better as you now would have teams not having to rebuild yearly and the media focus of the season on the 1 & Dones. We would actually have teams again rather than squads built around 1 specific freshman.

This would finally give the NBDL the selling point the NBA has been looking for, NBDL games would finally be a destination for basketball fans interested in seeing top basketball prospects before they head to the NBA. Im sure ticket sales, merchandise, etc would increase as fans anticipate the arrival of their team's young prospects playing with and against experienced former college stars.